Is Favors Ok with so much attention to Gobert?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Jazz_Man_86
Junior
And1: 18

Post#1 » by Jazz_Man_86 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:27 pm

Cause there is a second time I heard how Derrick start a little nervious pointing to his improvment on the court.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Re: Is Favors Ok with so much attention to Gobert? 

Post#2 » by goober » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:30 pm

Favors doesn't seen like an attention whore who needs the spotlight, I think he's fine. I actually think Favors prefers less spotlight on him.
Jazz_Man_86
Junior

Post#3 » by Jazz_Man_86 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:00 pm

No I mean. I thinnk he feels unfair. When everybody talks about Rudy.

Without mentioning Favors job's done so far.

I've never heard something like that from D-Favs. But this is the second time during last month or so.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#4 » by MHSL82 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:02 am

Jazz_Man_86 wrote:Cause there is a second time I heard how Derrick start a little nervous pointing to his improvment on the court.

What do you mean by "start a little nervous pointing to his improvement on the court"?

Are you saying he starts nervous?

Are you saying that he points out his improvement on the floor?

Are you saying he points out his nervous starts?
Jazz_Man_86
Junior

Post#5 » by Jazz_Man_86 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:45 am

I mean. Derrick thinks that he also have to be in the mix for Sport Spenter highlights.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#6 » by Paper Face » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:54 am

If the spotlight doesn't switch over to Favors soon, I think he will probably have Rudy assassinated.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#7 » by StocktonShorts » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:27 am

I think they're building a really nice rapport. I wouldn't expect Favors to be one who is worried about the spotlight.

It probably helps that he doesn't have an agent telling him he's one of the greatest players of his generation. ;)
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#8 » by stitches » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:01 am

StocktonShorts wrote:I think they're building a really nice rapport. I wouldn't expect Favors to be one who is worried about the spotlight.

It probably helps that he doesn't have an agent telling him he's one of the greatest players of his generation. ;)

I think they are cool with eachother... Here's something from yesterday's game:

Gfycat Video - Click to Play
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#9 » by MHSL82 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:31 am

Jazz_Man_86 wrote:I mean. Derrick thinks that he also have to be in the mix for Sport Spenter highlights.

What is it that you have seen in the last two games that makes you feel this way? I get your conclusion, that he could feel jealous or whatnot, but you pointed out these few games but not one thing he has done to demonstrate displeasure with the lack of limelight. Interview?

If anything, he'd be mad at Trey for not going to him down the stretch. I saw him mad at that, but not Gobert.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#10 » by Luigi » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:06 am

Favors has been having some big games lately. He doesn't get as much hype as Gobert. But I don't mind. I love Favors. The two defend the rim extremely well together, and we mess up elite front lines pretty regularly. Hopefully news coverage starts to see them both as reasons why the interior is so well defended and rebounded now. But I think Favors is going to keep doing a great job regardless.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#11 » by FJS » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:22 pm

I think we know that right now Favors is as valuable if not better than Rudy. I mean the gap between Favors offense vs Gobert is bigger than the gap deffensively of Gobert vs Favors.
Gobert can't score. Favors can defend and block.
The best thing it's to have both on our team.
Still we need a legit 3rd big man, because if we don't have Gobert we suffer too much in deffense and without Favors we're going to suffer to much in offense.
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#12 » by idajazz » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:27 pm

I have gotten the opposite vibe, I think Rudy and Fav like each other, and Fav is happier with Rudy than he was playing with Penis Katcher
Stoosh
Junior
And1: 190

Post#13 » by Stoosh » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Interesting question. Hayward was the face of the Jazz for a short period there too but Favors now has to deal with Gobert being a league favorite. Favors seems very mature for his age, I doubt it concerns him either way. Those who matter know how important he is to the future of the Jazz.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#14 » by JazzMatt13 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:38 pm

Favors knows that we know, him and Hayward are our main 2 players. There is no big post-all-star winning without Favors
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#15 » by MHSL82 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:17 pm

Stoosh wrote:Interesting question. Hayward was the face of the Jazz for a short period there too but Favors now has to deal with Gobert being a league favorite. Favors seems very mature for his age, I doubt it concerns him either way. Those who matter know how important he is to the future of the Jazz.

Favors gained my support when I heard how distraught he was to be traded, to anyone. Then, I heard how much he didn't want to be traded and how trade deadlines made him nervous. I think he's a tough guy but can have his own strong feelings about it, almost insecuredly. (I know that's not a word.) That seems genuine team player to me.
qman
Pro Prospect
And1: 10

Post#16 » by qman » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:28 am

I think Derrick is okay with all of Gobert's attention. I think mostly he is relieved to have some help down in the paint. If next year Favors is putting up near all-star numbers but Gobert is getting all the attention then there might be a problem.
Build a man a fire keep him warm for a day. Light a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#17 » by JazzMatt13 » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:19 am

Favors is the better 2 way player. And Gobert can't help that the media love him. I have found that media are tricky and fickle. You need the right storm to build up. You have to do certain criteria for them to even talk about you during TV or in articles (national level, not locally), you have to be special for them to praise you.

I am glad Gobert worked out. I remember how stupid I felt when Favors and Kanter were better than Al and Paul, but I feel that was cause of Kanter not Favors. Well we all said same for Gobert over Kanter, and god damit we were right.

Favors is the best player on team. He is averaging:
16.4 ppg <-2nd Highest on Team, to Hayward's 19.6
8.3 rpg <-2nd Highest on Team, to Gobert's 9.1 rpg
1.5 apg
1.6 bpg <-2nd Highest on Team, to Gobert's 2.3 bpg
0.8 spg
22.3 PER <-Highest on Team, Gobert is 2nd
31 mpg

For Example:
Millsap 2015 All-Star + Player of the Month
17.2 ppg <-Not Much Higher
7.9 rpg
3.0 apg <-much higher
1.0 bpg
1.8 spg <-1 more higher
33 mpg

Top Forwards based on ppg:
Hayward 10th
Millsap 12th
Favors 17th

Derrick Favors:
-Of the 8 players with 16.4 ppg and 8.3 repg, only Anthony Davis has higher FG%. Of this group Favors is tied for last with Big Al with least amount of DD2's.

-Taking 16.4 ppg and 8.3 rpg and adding 1.7 Blocks per Game, there is only 4 Players in the league who average that, Anthony Davis of course, Demarcus Cousins and Pau Gasol. Favors has played over 10 games more than Davis and 12 over Cousins.

Gobert:
-PPG is his biggest weakness, but still good. But there is only 2 others who average 9.1 rpg and 2.3 bpg, Whiteside and Davis. Hence why I so many debate who is best young center. Gobert's 7.8 ppg is just too low to be considered most improved, or defensive player of year.

-To be fair cause of blocks so high, of all players with 1 block and 9 rebounds, there is only 9 players with 1.2 apg. Basically all the top Centers, the two who he looks just like on stat sheets, Tyson Chandler and Joakim Noah....Both Defensive Players of the Year, and top all round Centers, Marc doesn't have the high 9 rebounds, just 7ish.
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,844

Post#18 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Apr 1, 2015 1:42 am

It's not Gobert's fault people talk about him. He's the new thing, and we've seen DPOY potential there, and that gives people a reason to talk. Favors is a great player, but it's not like he's an elite scorer in the league, elite rebounder, elite defender (he's actually good in all those, but not the best in any). So it's natural Gobert is talked more.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
Joao Saraiva
RealGM
And1: 5,844

Post#19 » by Joao Saraiva » Wed Apr 1, 2015 1:42 am

It's not Gobert's fault people talk about him. He's the new thing, and we've seen DPOY potential there, and that gives people a reason to talk. Favors is a great player, but it's not like he's an elite scorer in the league, elite rebounder, elite defender (he's actually good in all those, but not the best in any). So it's natural Gobert is talked more.
“These guys have been criticized the last few years for not getting to where we’re going, but I’ve always said that the most important thing in sports is to keep trying. Let this be an example of what it means to say it’s never over.” - Jerry Sloan
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#20 » by BudTugly » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:52 am

Favs is not the best player on the team, Gordon is. Favors is #2, Gobert #3 and coming on strong.

Just to be on record Derrick Favors is an amazing player and I hope to all that is good and right in the world that he is retained for his entire career for the Jazz. That dude is a great player and I love how he's reached out to the community.

Return to Utah Jazz