Is anyone still worried about Exum?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

MalonesElbows
Starter
And1: 1,407

Re: Is anyone still worried about Exum? 

Post#41 » by MalonesElbows » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:54 pm

I don't know if he'll ever be good, but one thing is for sure, by the time he does it will be just in time for another team to try and steal him in RFA.....and that sucks.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Is anyone still worried about Exum? 

Post#42 » by StocktonShorts » Wed Apr 1, 2015 3:02 am

Lakersteve20 wrote:Clarkson has been the steal of the draft. He's had some of his best games against the best PG's. Payton has been great too. Exum was a big mystery coming into the draft and it's not surprising he hasn't been good.

Nice try, troll.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#43 » by laika » Wed Apr 1, 2015 6:04 am

I found a pretty hilarious list today. Don't repost it in general though or you might get in trouble for trolling.

2 Stephen Curry-----8.36
7 Kyle Lowry---------6.67
6 Damian Lillard----6.43
1 Chris Paul----------6.36
10 Jeff Teague------4.68
15 Ty Lawson--------4.50
30 Dante Exum------2.88
9 Kyrie Irving--------2.87
14 Eric Bledsoe------2.78
12 Ricky Rubio-------2.70
16 Jrue Holiday------2.53
21 Deron Williams---2.38
11 Derrick Rose------2.37
4 John Wall-----------2.09
20 Darren Collison---2.01
17 Kemba Walker----1.73
18 George Hill--------1.36
27 Elfrid Payton------1.07
3 Russell Westbrook-1.01
19 Rajon Rondo-------.94
28 Jeremy Lin---------.64
29 Isaiah Canaan-----.17
13 Goran Dragic------.06
24 Patrick Beverley---.01
5 Mike Conley-------(-.04)
23 Michael Carter-W(-.35)
25 Reggie Jackson--(-1.29)
26 Marcus Smart----(-1.59)
22 Jose Calderon----(-2.32)
8 Tony Parker--------(-2.84)

That is the PG rankings according to RAPM.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,566

Post#44 » by jpengland » Wed Apr 1, 2015 12:05 pm

He's already a very, very strong defensive player and in a lot of ways his timidity shows that he is a team first guy and wants to do the little things that win basketball games. He makes the Jazz better when he is on court, even though his offensive game is so raw.

His outside shot is better than advertised and whilst inconsistent his mechanics are very good and it looks (to me, at least) that he will be an above average 3 point shooter.

His off hand needs work, but his handle is strong, his decision making good and he runs the pick and roll with Gobert very well (but needs to learn how to finish it himself).

It's all about that mentality to attack the basket and draw fouls, once he does that - it will open up every other element of his game. Can he develop that? That's the big question. I don't know whether he is scared, whether he doesn't feel confident enough in either his handle or ability to finish or if his coaches are telling him they don't want him doing that.

He has the physical tools and all the mental tools outside of that scoring mentality.

Floor is that he is a very good 3 and D combo guard, ceiling is still unknown.

I wouldn't worry about him for a couple of years yet. I think you need to find a real playmaking PG and let Exum develop off the bench at the 1 and the 2, let him beat up on some second units next year.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#45 » by Paper Face » Wed Apr 1, 2015 4:16 pm

MHSL82 wrote:You think he's a bust who will never get it.

It goes beyond that. I think he should refund the Jazz on the money they wasted on him this year. I mean, we are talking about absolutely zero PG skills.

You are not as alone as you think and not nearly as correct as speculative in your predictions.

I predict that those of us now in despair over Exum's current tack are going to be viewed as geniuses in 12 months.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#46 » by MHSL82 » Wed Apr 1, 2015 4:27 pm

Paper Face wrote:

It goes beyond that. I think he should refund the Jazz on the money they wasted on him this year. I mean, we are talking about absolutely zero PG skills.

You are not as alone as you think and not nearly as correct as speculative in your predictions.

I predict that those of us now in despair over Exum's current tack are going to be viewed as geniuses in 12 months.

Absolutely zero? Saying absolutely zero, always, never, none, doesn't show genius, it shows an overstated opinion. Hyperbole is not a strong point in an argument.

Absolutely zero - that's another place where you are going to use your opinion to confirm your opinion, as opposed to any analyzed level of PG skills (more valuable opinion). For example, I've heard analysts talk about his handle being good and his decision making as being good. They also talk about his faults in the keeping the ball part of the pick and roll. We all know his lack of aggression, low assist levels (though system contributes).

If the consensus is that Exum has not improved in 12 months, I will admit you are right. But if it's just you saying I told you so because you think this, no one's going to look like a genius. We'd just be stating our singular opinion. The following year, he must show improvement from next year. There's nothing in 12 months, short of regression from already low levels or superstar jump, that will show anyone as a genius. (Though no one could claim the superstar genius because no one said he'll be a superstar in 12 months.) This wasn't a 2 year deal (this and next).
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#47 » by Paper Face » Wed Apr 1, 2015 4:44 pm

MHSL82 wrote:Absolutely zero?

Yes, absolutely zero. I cite as a reference my sig.

Absolutely zero - that's another place where you are going to use your opinion to confirm your opinion

I don't need to confirm my opinion. I will simply reply on the opinion of someone else who projects to be absolutely correct by reason of the the force of their opinion alone.

Stats and facts are for weaklings.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#48 » by Dry Fly » Wed Apr 1, 2015 5:01 pm

Dante has 0.00001 pg skills you asinine morons.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#49 » by Paper Face » Wed Apr 1, 2015 6:02 pm

Dry Fly wrote:Dante has 0.00001 pg skills you asinine morons.

No. Absolute zero.
3960HOOD
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#50 » by 3960HOOD » Wed Apr 1, 2015 7:54 pm

I am worried about Exum, but I hope he puts a lot of work in the off-season and shows us glimpses this summer in summer league. What worries most is his unwillingness to go to the paint, is he soft? scared? Its troubling, this is a very competitive PG league and I don't think anyone can succeed if they're soft.
bucephalus
Junior
And1: 51

Post#51 » by bucephalus » Wed Apr 1, 2015 8:29 pm

Paper Face wrote:

Even if he has shown "absolutely zero" skills on the offensive end, his progress on the defensive end would make him worth most of the money the Jazz have "wasted" on him. Basketball is played on two ends of the court, don'tcha know.

Basically, this conversation has gone like this:

"I have an opinion that is completely unproveable and is also categorically false."
"Your opinion isn't wrong, but it is a complete overstatement of fact."
"No, it's not."
"Yes it is."
"No, it's not. You're going to think I'm a genius in 12 months for continuing to have this opinion."
"Ummm..."

By now it should be obvious that none of us are changing our opinions, no matter how many facts are thrown out there. The people holding to the unpopular line are doing so in pursuit of some sort of figurative "bragging rights" they will seek to claim in a year or so while coincidentally torpedoing their credibility in this thread. I understand that you think Exum will be a bust, but you don't have to make yourself look like a clown to tell us that. A simple, "I don't think he can put on the weight or develop the skills necessary to run the point at the NBA level," post or something like it would preserve your bragging rights. You don't need to continue this clownish charade.
kebutah
Analyst
And1: 99

Post#52 » by kebutah » Wed Apr 1, 2015 8:43 pm

Here is David Thorpe's opinion: Next season, he should be a vastly improved player because the shots he's creating and missing now will be ones he makes far more often. His length and size will be of great help to him, and the game will continue to slow down for him. If you look past the missed shots and confusing decisions at times, you'll see his star potential.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#53 » by sipclip » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:16 pm

Where exactly are these shots that he is creating and missing? The answer is that there aren't any. At this point he is almost strictly a spot up shooter and not a good one.
Amish Mafioso
Banned User
And1: 1,004

Post#54 » by Amish Mafioso » Wed Apr 1, 2015 9:38 pm

Paper Face wrote:

Horse ****. Basketball is a 2-way game, and those who are ignoring the fact that we have a 19 year old playing defense at a very high level are only exposing their ignorance.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#55 » by MHSL82 » Wed Apr 1, 2015 11:18 pm

sipclip wrote:Where exactly are these shots that he is creating and missing? The answer is that there aren't any. At this point he is almost strictly a spot up shooter and not a good one.

Two things: Yes, there are these shots but they are usually from right outside or in the paint barely. They are rarely even close, but he tried some, about 1-2 a game for a bit.

Second, there was a stretch of games he made 13-25 three pointers. I thought he was turning a corner (to be an ok outside shooter, obviously not 50%). I was wrong, as he's been terrible since. Anyone who knows me knows I rarely call someone I like terrible.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by Paper Face » Thu Apr 2, 2015 2:57 am

More of the same tonight from Dante.
bucephalus
Junior
And1: 51

Post#57 » by bucephalus » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:00 am

Paper Face wrote:More of the same tonight from Dante.

/sarcasm
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#58 » by Paper Face » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:07 am

bucephalus wrote:
Paper Face wrote:More of the same tonight from Dante.

/sarcasm

Finally someone picks up on it.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,987

Post#59 » by zimpy27 » Thu Apr 2, 2015 3:09 am

People are worried in general about everything, no doubt some people will worry about Exum. He just needs two years to develop strength and confidence, the timing will be perfect as the jazz won't be ready to make a deep playoff run until 2017 anyway.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#60 » by stitches » Thu Apr 2, 2015 8:08 am

How effortless does this look? I wonder if he even knows that he can do it against most PGs in the league.

Return to Utah Jazz