Trey Lyles Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Re: Trey Lyles Thread 

Post#101 » by Stern Fixer » Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Paper Face wrote:Meh. I'll worry about Lyles next year when another team gives Booker a raise.

He needs more strength if he is going to play in this league.

Jeez I sure hope not. What's his contract look like? Booker and Ingles are the unsung heroes of this team IMO always doing the little things that help get wins. And I definitely agree that Lyles needs more strength to play in this league.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#102 » by Daddy 801 » Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:28 pm

Book gets a raise for sure next year. Whether it's the Jazz or someone else.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#103 » by Stern Fixer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:53 am

Yup. Just googled and see he'll be an unrestricted free agent next year. Bad news for Booker fans, somebody will offer him 8-10 a year - guess our only hope is he's grown some Utah roots.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#104 » by Reckless » Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:05 am

If people want to overpay booker good for them I don't want any part of it
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#105 » by Paper Face » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:43 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:Jeez I sure hope not. What's his contract look like? Booker and Ingles are the unsung heroes of this team IMO always doing the little things that help get wins. And I definitely agree that Lyles needs more strength to play in this league.

I like Booker too. But he's going to get a raise, and the Jazz have bigger fish to fry with their cap space.

Luckily, we drafted Lyles who is more gifted and will be far cheaper for the next four years.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#106 » by Paper Face » Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:48 pm

DL will be lauded for picking Lyles for years, BTW. He lacks strength and he's not quite up to speed for now, but when he breaks out this team will explode.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#107 » by Stern Fixer » Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:48 pm

Paper Face wrote:DL will be lauded for picking Lyles for years, BTW. He lacks strength and he's not quite up to speed for now, but when he breaks out this team will explode.

Yeah I agree, he'll be alright - good safe pick at that position. Hope he develops some of Booker's aggressive instincts though. Something tells me we'll never get anything this scintillating out of him:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i9Yi2GXtmc
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#108 » by StocktonShorts » Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:05 pm

Paper Face wrote:
Stern Fixer wrote:Jeez I sure hope not. What's his contract look like? Booker and Ingles are the unsung heroes of this team IMO always doing the little things that help get wins. And I definitely agree that Lyles needs more strength to play in this league.

I like Booker too. But he's going to get a raise, and the Jazz have bigger fish to fry with their cap space.

Luckily, we drafted Lyles who is more gifted and will be far cheaper for the next four years.

I could actually see Lyles stealing more of Booker's minutes by the end of the year.

Despite the praise he gets from Bolerjack, Booker's numbers are pretty poor so far. Admittedly we have a pretty small sample size, but it's something to keep an eye on.

To be fair, Lyles' numbers are even worse, but in an even smaller sample size, and you would expect him to improve significantly more than Booker over the course of this season.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#109 » by BarneyGumble » Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Paper Face wrote:DL will be lauded for picking Lyles for years, BTW. He lacks strength and he's not quite up to speed for now, but when he breaks out this team will explode.

What makes you so confident Lyles will pan out? He looks like hot garbage to me. He looks better suited for stocking shelves at Wal-Mart....
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#110 » by KqWIN » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:38 pm

I don't think either are good enough for their roles right now. Favors and Gobert have been playing great together, but I think Quin has to stagger them so that one of them is on the court at all times. Ingles is playing great and should get some more minutes at the 4.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#111 » by Paper Face » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:53 am

BarneyGumble wrote:What makes you so confident Lyles will pan out? He looks like hot garbage to me. He looks better suited for stocking shelves at Wal-Mart....

His length, BBIQ, and passing. Watch any highlight video of his and you will always see interior passing that is on the level of of the best passing power forwards in the game. Even in summer league he was making our other bigs like Cooley look like NBA players.

The Celtics of the 80s had no fast break, but it didn't matter. They still won 3 championships. The reason was because they were one of the best passing teams of all time. Bird could pass just as well as he could shoot, and he and McHale basically ran basketball passing clinics called "games" for a straight decade.

Quinn's offense is turning everyone on the team into assist mongers. The sample size is small, but we are already seeing games where Rudy has just as many assists as Neto (5), or Burks leads with 8. Snyder's offense is tailor made for a player like Lyles. He just needs to get up to NBA speed.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#112 » by Paper Face » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:57 am

StocktonShorts wrote:
Paper Face wrote:

I could actually see Lyles stealing more of Booker's minutes by the end of the year.

Despite the praise he gets from Bolerjack, Booker's numbers are pretty poor so far. Admittedly we have a pretty small sample size, but it's something to keep an eye on.

To be fair, Lyles' numbers are even worse, but in an even smaller sample size, and you would expect him to improve significantly more than Booker over the course of this season.

He needs to get past the thinking stage and just play.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#113 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:10 am

I hope that Lyles turns into what the Jazz hope he will become, but he is nearly worthless on offense and defense in the paint right now and has pretty much zero ability to hit the 3pt shot (college or NBA). He does have good court vision and passing ability, but a stretch 4 that does not make. It will be interesting to see how, or if, he develops over the next year or two.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#114 » by Stern Fixer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:14 am

KqWIN wrote:I don't think either are good enough for their roles right now. Favors and Gobert have been playing great together, but I think Quin has to stagger them so that one of them is on the court at all times. Ingles is playing great and should get some more minutes at the 4.

That guy is so fundamentally sound I rarely see him make a mistake. I agree, I think he could play any position on the court even the five in a small ball situation. Fantastic basketball IQ. As good as Hayward is, I sometimes think Ingles is more consistent, and definitely feel he deserves more minutes in relief some nights. Don't get the Slo Mo Joe deal though, I think he plays some of the best D on the team.

Getting back to Lyles, as I said I'm fine with the pick and agree that he'll be fine. But as mentioned, in a small sample size he's really not contributing like I would hope. It seems like Bobby Portis (Chicago) is even ahead of him at this stage. I guess I just feel like the future is now for the Jazz and I'd really be in favor of at least giving Withey a chance to show what he could contribute. I almost feel like it's going to take an injury to Gobert to get Withey off the inactive list and into some action. Maybe tomorrow in Miami if Gobert can't go. But if Snyder gives those minutes to Lyles and he plays that patty cake D on Whiteside we're in big trouble.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#115 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:08 am

Paper Face wrote:
BarneyGumble wrote:What makes you so confident Lyles will pan out? He looks like hot garbage to me. He looks better suited for stocking shelves at Wal-Mart....

His length, BBIQ, and passing.

Im looking, and I dont see it.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#116 » by JazzMatt13 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:12 am

Yeah Jazz will continue their player cycle. Get no names to do dirty work, and then pass them off to teams who can pay them (Carroll, Booker, Mathews, Foye Korver, Milsap).

I still would have kept Carroll, you don't need to keep your budget completely open, its OK to invest those who are worth it.

Lyles is a great project. He could be our next Milsap project. Someone who rides bench for next 4-5 years and breaks out as best under-radar player.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect

Post#117 » by Paper Face » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:46 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:
Paper Face wrote:

Let's talk in a year. Deal?
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant

Post#118 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:22 pm

Paper Face wrote:
BarneyGumble wrote:
Paper Face wrote:

Let's talk in a year. Deal?

Fair enough but for the record I dont like the "he's a rookie so he gets a pass" arguement. In my experience following this league. good players usually were good rookie players, or at the very least promising rookie players. Someone compared Lyles to Millsap. You knew in Millsap's rookie year that he was a stud. He had a very underrated game and just needed a little development. Lyles looks terrible. But he's young, so that is why I haven't been dumping on him. We shall see.....
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#119 » by Dry Fly » Fri Nov 13, 2015 11:46 pm

Lyles is a work in progress. I think he is scared ****less out there right now. Let him ease in and hopefully do something good and get our hopes up.
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#120 » by JazzMatt13 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:13 am

Dry Fly wrote:Lyles is a work in progress. I think he is scared ****less out there right now. Let him ease in and hopefully do something good and get our hopes up.

I do feel he has less heart than I thought. Timid and not aggressive, are not words you should be using to describe your rookie if your expecting a return on your investment.

I just don't know if he can handle being an undersized 4, cause they are usually those who can shoot the 3, and generally don't have defense, which isn't going to work for us.

So unless we play big:
Exum - Hayward - Lyles - Favors - Gobert

This is the only way I feel he can work on this team as a starter. Unless playing a small group, Vucevic and Frye aren't a small group. Cav's Klove is ideal matchup aka other smaller 4's.

Return to Utah Jazz