Post#21 » by Reckless » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:47 am

Markieff Morris
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,978

Re: Trey Lyles Thread 

Post#22 » by zimpy27 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 10:52 am

Ceiling is Al Horford if he hits the gym, Boris Diaw if he doesn't.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#23 » by goober » Sat Jun 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Trey Lyles isn't going to turn into Al Horford behind Favors and Gobert, I think Jason Thompson is a very fair comparison.
3960HOOD
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Post#24 » by 3960HOOD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:09 pm

I heard Dennis Lindsey mention Robert Horry. Horry coming into the league wasn't a great 3pt shooter, but he worked on it and became a really good spot up 3 shooter. I see the similarities.
BringtheD
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Post#25 » by BringtheD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:08 pm

lamar, he was the piece that made the lakers unbeatable. think pick reflects well on dante and helps him become a franchise player that he can be. just keep thinking lamar with what we got is the best fc in the league, if we don't already have that, it makes it unbeatable...dante, gordon, one of our killers on the wing, and you know what you got with that.
BringtheD
Sixth Man

Post#26 » by BringtheD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 4:37 pm

i dreamed we picked lyles and won a championship or two with lamar...pretty good dream. lindsey said lyels strongest traits is one of which is a head on the swivel, sounds like one of lamars traits that made him good player and what lamar can do at his size, i see alot of that in lyles, ok, i'm starting to get exctied now.
BringtheD
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by BringtheD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:28 pm

nobody else excited about the potential of having one of the best fc's ever? this could guy could be lethal,i get it lindsey, he's a genius, prbly not angry one like me, but damns this guys not anyones fool either.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#28 » by Winglish » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Floor?

Furkan Aldemir
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#29 » by sipclip » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:01 pm

Winglish wrote:Ceiling?

Juwan Howard

I had not thought about Howard but this comparison is spot on. His game is pretty much the exact same as Juwan's and they are the same size and athletically on a similar level.
BringtheD
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by BringtheD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:09 pm

sipclip wrote:

Juwan Howard

I had not thought about Howard but this comparison is spot on. His game is pretty much the exact same as Juwan's and they are the same size and athletically on a similar level.

lindseys saying he wants to keep lyles skinny, not like juwan.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#31 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:16 pm

As long as he doesn't marry a Kardashian, it's all gravy.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#32 » by sipclip » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:26 pm

BringtheD wrote:
sipclip wrote:

Juwan Howard

lindseys saying he wants to keep lyles skinny, not like juwan.

Lyles right now is the size of Juwan Howard. Juwan played his career between 240 and 250 and that is the ideal weight for Lyles.
BringtheD
Sixth Man

Post#33 » by BringtheD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:As long as he doesn't marry a Kardashian, it's all gravy.

i'd rather have a kick in the nuts than gravy like that. prbly not gonna hurt much if you have a cup, can't say that about being married to a ho.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#34 » by Dry Fly » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:00 pm

My first reaction was that I hated the pick. Now after a couple days I'm ok with it. Actually, I kind of like it. Lyles fits a need really good. He might just be the anti-stretch 4 type. I like the Boris comparison with court awareness but I think he has a much higher ceiling defensively.

If he can get high 30's from the arc and defend the pick and roll which it looks like he excels at then he will be solid. If he becomes money behind the arc then he will be better than Memo. The guy has a great flow with the game that just isn't teachable. What is teachable are his weaknesses... his shot... although he might never be a good rebounder.

A lot of "ifs" but what else from a #12 pick? I like the pick. I see the vision.
BringtheD
Sixth Man

Post#35 » by BringtheD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:27 pm

Dry Fly wrote:My first reaction was that I hated the pick. Now after a couple days I'm ok with it. Actually, I kind of like it. Lyles fits a need really good. He might just be the anti-stretch 4 type. I like the Boris comparison with court awareness but I think he has a much higher ceiling defensively.

If he can get high 30's from the arc and defend the pick and roll which it looks like he excels at then he will be solid. If he becomes money behind the arc then he will be better than Memo. The guy has a great flow with the game that just isn't teachable. What is teachable are his weaknesses... his shot... although he might never be a good rebounder.

A lot of "ifs" but what else from a #12 pick? I like the pick. I see the vision.

this pick could be a whopper, but if there's too many big macs he's going to be in n out like fast food.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#36 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:54 pm

Dry Fly wrote: Lyles fits a need really good.

Not that it matters much, but I don't see how he fits a need. He's not a backup 5 or stretch 4(not yet), and he's not a 3 in the NBA. Right now he's a backup 4 which is already filled by Trevor Booker. I see him as an upside pick to develop for the future, but I'm not seeing the fills a need part.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#37 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:06 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:

Not that it matters much, but I don't see how he fits a need. He's not a backup 5 or stretch 4(not yet), and he's not a 3 in the NBA. Right now he's a backup 4 which is already filled by Trevor Booker. I see him as an upside pick to develop for the future, but I'm not seeing the fills a need part.

My biggest concern with the pick is that I haven't heard anyone say that Lyles has a lot of upside, and I agree with Cappy that Lyles doesn't fill a need (PG, outside shooter, backup center).

If Lyles' comp is in fact Jason Thompson, and we passed up Booker who met a need an could end up being a mishmash of Korver and Klay Thomspon, I might go into a turrets fit of profanity at some point.

For those who think that Lyles is a better version of Horford or Odom, stop ingesting whatever it is you've been taking, its time to sober up.
BringtheD
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by BringtheD » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:

by half way through the year it doesn't look like lyles is taking minutes from booker, start working on the punt kick of yours because our gm is going to need one of those. if this pick doesn't work out as he's selling it, he's gone.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#39 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:30 pm

BringtheD wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:

by half way through the year it doesn't look like lyles is taking minutes from booker, start working on the punt kick of yours because our gm is going to need one of those. if this pick doesn't work out as he's selling it, he's gone.

Lyle's is 19 years old. It will be several years before we can make judgement on this pick. Also, who is gone? Hope you're not talking about DL, cuz he ain't going nowhere. Utah has put together one of the best young teams in the league, and nobody gets every pick right. As much as I disliked this pick, the reality is there really weren't any obviously better options where we pickd. DL's job is safe regardless of how this pick turns out.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#40 » by JazzMatt13 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:32 pm

Well he is 6'10" yet has the agility of a 6'7" guy like Draymond Green, they are similar in weight.

I think Lyles can play 3-5. I think we could play small ball with him at Center if against a small team like Warriors, who benched Bogut, with a guy like Green and Livingston being the tallest guy in rotation.

I think he is as big of steal as Hood was last year, and Hood was a mega steal. He is gonna have versatility which is what we need. I just hope he can learn to shoot well, and can play good defense. Rudy said he was gonna play defense, and was defensive player of the year not counting popularity votes.

Everyone said Booker or Dekker. So there were other choices. Picking from best school in nation is generally a safe bet.

Return to Utah Jazz