Official Utah Jazz Free Agency Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Re: Official Utah Jazz Free Agency Thread 

Post#61 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:50 am

Wow! Hinkie got so much in that salary dump from Sacramento.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#62 » by stitches » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:10 am

We could have done that one too, I wonder if we have something else planned?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#63 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:12 am

stitches wrote:We could have done that one too, I wonder if we have something else planned?

I doubt it, for SAC it's etter to help someone from the other conference. That being said, I would have taken those contracts for much less.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#64 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 2, 2015 4:27 am

Jae Crowder, 5/$35. I would have honestly considered giving him 3/$30.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#65 » by Tom349 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:13 am

stitches wrote:We could have done that one too, I wonder if we have something else planned?

Disagree. We are not in a position to take on any more than one bad contract.

Possible trade partners for us I think include GSW (take on Lee for incentives), Miami (take on Anderson and possibly Mario) and SAS (Mills and Diaw which would be a very good outcome, as neither are bad contracts).
stitches
RealGM

Post#66 » by stitches » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:42 am

Tom349 wrote:

Possible trade partners for us I think include GSW (take on Lee for incentives), Miami (take on Anderson and possibly Mario) and SAS (Mills and Diaw which would be a very good outcome, as neither are bad contracts).

What does it matter if we take 1 huge bad contract for 15 millions or 2 small bad contracts for 13M? Especially when the return is Stauskas+1 first rounder+right for 2 swaps with a dumpster fire of a franchise? For all we know those might be 3 high lottery picks right there. What kind of incentive do you expect to get from Lee? It's definitely not going to be any better than what the 76ers got for their cap space.

All we need now is for the Kings to offer Monta and Rondo 4x15 each and they turn into Brooklyn West.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#67 » by Tom349 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 10:13 am

stitches wrote:
Tom349 wrote:

What does it matter if we take 1 huge bad contract for 15 millions or 2 small bad contracts for 13M? Especially when the return is Stauskas+1 first rounder+right for 2 swaps with a dumpster fire of a franchise? For all we know those might be 3 high lottery picks right there. What kind of incentive do you expect to get from Lee? It's definitely not going to be any better than what the 76ers got for their cap space.

All we need now is for the Kings to offer Monta and Rondo 4x15 each and they turn into Brooklyn West.

For the same reason we aren't going after any free agents, there isn't any room for them. Which I'd rather keep trying out D league players then have a couple of guys playing out their contracts on the end of the bench. Also Landry and Thompson are guaranteed money for the next two seasons. Although admittedly the incentives are nice.

For Lee I would expect money, Looney and a possible pick swap in a future draft. Although even without that I believe Lee is one of the few guys who could really benefit our side with his experience and IQ.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#68 » by laika » Thu Jul 2, 2015 12:37 pm

All the top PFs and SGs are gone. The only thing we really need is a PG.

At this point Corey Joseph is pretty much the only player left I would want the Jazz to sign.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#69 » by goober » Thu Jul 2, 2015 1:09 pm

I'd rather take Patty Mills in a salary dump rather than sign Corey Joseph.

Aussie Power!
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#70 » by pickIBL » Thu Jul 2, 2015 3:09 pm

There are a couple of euro pgs wanting to come over. There are still options
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#71 » by erudite23 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 5:32 pm

We need more shooting. Doesn't matter where it comes from, but if we want to make any noise this year--and I don't know about you guys but I'm done with accumulating assets and positioning ourselves for some nebulous "future"--then we HAVE TO GET MORE SHOOTING. The best spot for this would be on the wing. If we get a smaller wing who can defend PGs (Matthews, anyone?) and hit 3s, then we can play him at the PG spot because Hayward, Hood and Burks can all play minutes as the nominal PG on offense. Danny Green would have been perfect for that role. Beverly is another option that would be great, though I would like a better shooter.

We need shooting. And we are at a space with our roster that we have a ton of excess salary available because our players are on rookie deals and/or bargain contracts while the cap escalates. For the next two seasons particularly, its important to be able to take advantage of that by adding quality talent. It can be a massive overpay, as long as the player is a solid contributor who will get minutes and provide the particular skills we are looking for. If the Jazz stand pat and deal-hunt without finding anyone of significance, I am going to be pissed off. Now is not the time to look for bargains. Now is the time to go out and bring home a good player by hook or by crook.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#72 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Jul 2, 2015 7:40 pm

^^
There is Omri Casspi. However, given his shortcomings on defense, it is arguable whether he is better than Joe Ingles. I'm not sure what other wing is left in FA that would take a back seat to our guys and add value.

If the Jazz don't sign Pleiss, they certainly need a backup C.

The Jazz are in a tricky situation. Cap wise, unless they sign someone I am not sure that the hit the minimum. They have their young players that are penciled in as starters or needing development minutes, but they could certainly use some improvement at least in depth if not in certain positions outright. However, they can't get too crazy as they will have some serious potential financial commitments a couple of seasons from now.

I know that Booker's deal becomes fully guaranteed July 15th. Does anyone know when the other NG contracts become fully guaranteed?
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#73 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Jul 2, 2015 8:43 pm

One thing that I would be willing to do if I were the Jazz if throw out an offer to KJ McDaniels He is not an outside shooter by any stretch of the imagination, but he is young and uber athletic and still has upside potential. I would be willing to see if he works out over the next couple of years rather than Lilsap and Chris Johnson.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,036

Post#74 » by JazzUte88 » Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:57 pm

Cory Joseph or CJ Watson should be our target. Really wish we could find a way to dump Trey Burke, even if it means shipping out a 2nd round pick. I'm talking to you Philly!
stitches
RealGM

Post#75 » by stitches » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:26 pm

Just listened to Dennis Lindsey on the radio - he pretty much said they decided to skip the wing FA market and show trust in Hayward-Hood-Alec rotation. Added Elijah to the list and talked about him and his defensive impact(I think it's about certain he's coming back next season from what he was saying about him). They haven't even explored getting any of the major FAs on the wing.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#76 » by KqWIN » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:52 pm

"tactically decided to avoid the big wing market"

Gotta love Lindsey's way with words.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#77 » by Winglish » Thu Jul 2, 2015 11:57 pm

stitches wrote:Just listened to Dennis Lindsey on the radio - he pretty much said they decided to skip the wing FA market and show trust in Hayward-Hood-Alec rotation. Added Elijah to the list and talked about him and his defensive impact(I think it's about certain he's coming back next season from what he was saying about him). They haven't even explored getting any of the major FAs on the wing.

He also said that between the guys they have now and those they have rights to they probably have their roster set. No moves expected.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#78 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:08 am

Choosing not to sign anyone could very well end up being a mistake, but he's betting on the guys he has. Lindsey's record as GM is conservative and some what hit and miss. I hope he knows what he's doing.
Matt007b
Sixth Man
And1: 161

Post#79 » by Matt007b » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:17 am

I like the move; not bringing anyone in. My only worry is the point guard position.. especially with Trey. That's the weakest link with this team. He's got to have a better year.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#80 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:42 am

KqWIN wrote: Lindsey's record as GM is conservative and some what hit and miss. I hope he knows what he's doing.

Sounds like the second coming of KOC.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.

Return to Utah Jazz