Impressions of Trey Lyles after game 1?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

3960HOOD
Sixth Man
And1: 79

Impressions of Trey Lyles after game 1? 

Post#1 » by 3960HOOD » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:45 pm

What are your impressions of Trey Lyles after game 1? I thought he played well, he seems like a really skilled, smart player. I want to see what he does in Vegas, it seems like he's an average rebounder at this point. He kind of reminded me of Donyell Marshall a little bit.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Re: Impressions of Trey Lyles after game 1? 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:47 pm

He was too in love with the jumper for my taste, but as a first game it wasn't awful.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#3 » by StocktonShorts » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:He was too in love with the jumper for my taste, but as a first game it wasn't awful.

Agree. But his ability to run all parts of the pick and roll looks promising.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in Vegas.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#4 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:24 pm

Seconded. Really want to see how he works with Exum, and later with Gobert.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Paper Face
Pro Prospect
And1: 101

Post#5 » by Paper Face » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:42 pm

For all of the rust on his shot, I thought he played smart and passed well. I think he'll get stronger over the next three years and improve as a rebounder. But what is there already is a ton of apparent skill and confidence. The BBIQ and confidence necessary to make some of the passes he did last night was very promising.

He'll defer to the others this year as he learns the NBA game, but I think he will still push Booker for minutes.
sipclip - "Even though I love what I have seen from Mitchell if you were to ask anyone if they would rather have Booker and the 24th pick or Mitchell they would all take Booker and the pick."
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#6 » by JazzyPhinz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:43 pm

Decent form on his jumper from mid range. Not very good from deep.
Didnt show too much aggression getting rebounds. Plays smaller/weaker than his size.

Handle and passing ability looks good.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#7 » by Winglish » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:09 pm

Furkan Aldemir is a little better than Lyles right now. Actually, Aldemir looked pretty darn good. Beautiful passer, was knocking down the three with ease in warmups, bulky enough to defend his space. Yeah, I like that guy. I would totally be okay with trading Lyles for Aldemir.

I really liked seeing Lyles run the fast break. When the lane was defended he stopped and fed the ball to his wingman. Trey is very obviously comfortable running the break.

He needs to hit the weights NOW. We say that about most rookies. Trey got muscled around last night.

His shot is good, a little too flat to ever be great as is. Fluid release though.

Body movement eerily similar to Carlos Boozer. Like a brother from another mother almost.

Not a particularly good rebounder or defender. Medium motor at best. Plays smaller than his length.

Very solid in the pick and roll. Makes good passes. Takes the shot when open. Needs to improve his shooting and I think he will. He's fluid.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#8 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Hes a stud, his dribble penetration was impressive, his D was so-so, his pull up jumper was definitely sexy, and he seemed to have the jitters. I was on the 6th row last night by the visiting teams tunnel, sat in front of some annoying BYU fans talking about Jimmers glory days and spatting misinformation about the Jazz players, also Nerlens Noel is a cocky dick, Jahlil is kinda cocky, wouldnt sign autographs, and Raul Neto is the nicest dude, yelled his name before he went in the tunnel, he stopped turned around, and gave me an autograph, seriously nice dude though.
Ingles is cooked.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#9 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:27 pm

Winglish wrote:Furkan Aldemir is a little better than Lyles right now. Actually, Aldemir looked pretty darn good. Beautiful passer, was knocking down the three with ease in warmups, bulky enough to defend his space. Yeah, I like that guy. I would totally be okay with trading Lyles for Aldemir.

I really liked seeing Lyles run the fast break. When the lane was defended he stopped and fed the ball to his wingman. Trey is very obviously comfortable running the break.

He needs to hit the weights NOW. We say that about most rookies. Trey got muscled around last night.

His shot is good, a little too flat to ever be great as is. Fluid release though.

Body movement eerily similar to Carlos Boozer. Like a brother from another mother almost.

Not a particularly good rebounder or defender. Medium motor at best. Plays smaller than his length.

Very solid in the pick and roll. Makes good passes. Takes the shot when open. Needs to improve his shooting and I think he will. He's fluid.

You thought Furkan looked good? I thought he was really Furkin things up at times :D 8-)
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#10 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:31 pm

GobertReport wrote:Hes a stud, his dribble penetration was impressive, his D was so-so, his pull up jumper was definitely sexy, and he seemed to have the jitters. I was on the 6th row last night by the visiting teams tunnel, sat in front of some annoying BYU fans talking about Jimmers glory days and spatting misinformation about the Jazz players, also Nerlens Noel is a cocky dick, Jahlil is kinda cocky, wouldnt sign autographs, and Raul Neto is the nicest dude, yelled his name before he went in the tunnel, he stopped turned around, and gave me an autograph, seriously nice dude though.

A genuine "cool story bro" to you, Sir 8-) . Would love some more details, such as why is Noel a cocky dick, and just generally some more details.

stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#11 » by stitches » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:41 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Hes a stud, his dribble penetration was impressive, his D was so-so, his pull up jumper was definitely sexy, and he seemed to have the jitters. I was on the 6th row last night by the visiting teams tunnel, sat in front of some annoying BYU fans talking about Jimmers glory days and spatting misinformation about the Jazz players, also Nerlens Noel is a cocky dick, Jahlil is kinda cocky, wouldnt sign autographs, and Raul Neto is the nicest dude, yelled his name before he went in the tunnel, he stopped turned around, and gave me an autograph, seriously nice dude though.

A genuine "cool story bro" to you, Sir 8-) . Would love some more details, such as why is Noel a cocky dick, and just generally some more details.

The usual reason a famous person is a dick/cocky/a-hole/etc. is "he refused to sign an autograph", or he "refused to pay me attention" :P But I would like to hear details, too.

To me Lyles seems cocky from the interviews I've seen... a bit like... he's too cool to be there talking to them media members...
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#12 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:47 pm

stitches wrote:The usual reason a famous person is a dick/cocky/a-hole/etc. is "he refused to sign an autograph", or he "refused to pay me attention" :P But I would like to hear details, too.

Hmmmm..... I always thought the usual reason a famous person is a dick/cocky/a-hole/etc. is that he's Justin Bieber.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#13 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:47 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

I can provide details bro, what you want to know haha. Nerlens wouldnt give anyone the time of day, I was screaming his name in the black cushy seats by the tunnel and he wouldnt give me the time day, I was basically waving the roster card like a dummy trying to get him to sign it, probably shouldnt have been wearing a Gobert jersey but whatever man, this is not Nam, this is summer league, there are rules Nerlens, he wouldnt even slap my hand or give me a whats up dude nod, he didnt acknowledge any of the fansm Nerlens is also ridiculously skinny, bro needs to eat some steak. Jahlil at least gave me a high five, his hands were huge, felt like a little boy giving a grown man a high five, a fat kid with a UK shirt tried getting an autograph from Noel and Jahlil, didnt give him the time of day, he looked pretty butt hurt. The only guy willing to hang around and sign autographs was Jordan Riley, he was a nice dude. Also a guy asked Jahlil for his jersey and Jahlil just laughed at him, it was pretty funny.

They gave out 2 signed Memo balls, which was pretty cool, he autographed them right before they through them to the fans. Rudy Gobert dresses literally like a pimp.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#14 » by KqWIN » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:51 pm

I thought his skill level was impressive. He legitimately looks like a guard with the ball in his hands. I'm not a fan of attacking from the mid range, but things will open up for him if he can hit those shots at a reasonable rate. I expect to see a lot of 4/5 pick and rolls next year.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#15 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:55 pm

GobertReport wrote:Rudy Gobert dresses literally like a pimp.

Someone has to make up for the loss of DeMarre Carroll. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup: .

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#16 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:04 pm

stitches wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

The usual reason a famous person is a dick/cocky/a-hole/etc. is "he refused to sign an autograph", or he "refused to pay me attention" :P But I would like to hear details, too.

To me Lyles seems cocky from the interviews I've seen... a bit like... he's too cool to be there talking to them media members...

I get its one thing when they are out and about but at the arena, seriously, bad PR move to ignore fans.
Ingles is cooked.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#17 » by KDBG » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:19 pm

His shot wasn't going down extremely well, but his feel for the game stands out immediately. Also, it's rare to see a guy that tall handle the ball like that. His ball-handling ability really reminded me of Chris Webber. And that pick and roll with Cooley was a thing of beauty. I don't know if he'll ever be an all-star, but his floor is certainly a glue type guy.

Get ready for Lyles to be in the D-League quite a bit though. Our roster is f***ing deep.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#18 » by Dry Fly » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:28 pm

KDBG wrote:Get ready for Lyles to be in the D-League quite a bit though. Our roster is f***ing deep.

Yeah, I doubt he makes the rotation this year but who knows? He might be a nice choice to guard a Dirk or LaMarcus type with Rudy or Favs at the 5.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#19 » by AingesBurner » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:26 pm

I hope we dont put a lottery pick in the d league and kill his confidence.
Ingles is cooked.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#20 » by KDBG » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:46 pm

GobertReport wrote:I hope we dont put a lottery pick in the d league and kill his confidence.

It won't be forever. And if he's mature like I think he is, he'll understand the situation. I mean, Rudy played in the D-League his rookie year. He should be fine.

I know Rudy wasn't technically a lottery pick, but he was a lottery type talent.

Return to Utah Jazz