BR ranks Jazz starting 5 at #13,that's not bad

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#1 » by tleikheen » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:33 pm

Projected Starting Five: Dante Exum, Alec Burks, Gordon Hayward, Derrick Favors, Rudy Gobert

This may seem like a lofty finish for a young team that placed firmly in the lottery last season, especially because the Utah Jazz didn't actually make any substantial changes during the offseason. Alec Burks will return to the squad—although there's a chance he could be replaced by Rodney Hood—but that's the only significant difference in the five-man unit featured here.

So, what gives?

Well, the Jazz were spectacular during the second half of the season.

Dante Exum began developing into a defensive asset. Gordon Hayward kept playing like an All-Star, even if he didn't actually earn that type of accolade. Ditto for Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert, both of whom combined to shut down the interior and thrive as around-the-rim scorers and glass-eating presences.

After the All-Star break, Utah managed to post a 104.6 offensive rating while ceding only 99 points per 100 possessions. Over the course of a full season, the former would have left the Jazz just inside the top 20, while the latter would have rather easily supplanted the Golden State Warriors for the league's top mark.

Outscoring an opponent by that much on an average night isn't easy, and the Jazz are young enough that they're only getting better and better.

guaranteed that might be the biggest jump of any other team in the NBA.....and building a young bench core as well with Pleiss (C),Lyles (PF) Ingles (SF) ,Burks/Hood (SG)Burke (PG)
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Re: BR ranks Jazz starting 5 at #13,that's not bad 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:23 pm

I was happy with it, guarantee it goes top ten by end of the season.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#3 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:45 pm

13 and trending up. Not bad at all.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#4 » by pickIBL » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:52 pm

What happens when you swap out Exum for a more experienced player (to give him someone to beat out)?
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
nghedman
Pro Prospect
And1: 9

Post#5 » by nghedman » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:11 am

pickIBL wrote:What happens when you swap out Exum for a more experienced player (to give him someone to beat out)?

well, one gets less playing time, which is the biggest factor for a player to get better. Believe me, these guys have been watching basketball there whole life. Having another better player ahead of them isn't going to help as much as if they were playing against better players in game speed conditions.

Wouldn't help their rating one bit in the second half of the season.
Go ReAL!

Return to Utah Jazz