Would Utah make this trade

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

OBisHalJordan
Rookie
And1: 892

Post#1 » by OBisHalJordan » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:24 pm

Do you think Utah's front office would make the following trade that a poster on the Celtics board suggested

Utah sends Derrick Favors

Utah receives Evan Turner, James Young, Jared Sullinger, Tyler Zeller and potentially some draft picks

With Exum out for at least half the season, Utah could use some more play making. Even without Exum's injury, they also could use more depth to make a playoff push. Boston has a lot of mid-level assets. Evan Turner's coming off a solid season but Boston's rotation is crowded and he's holding back the development of its younger players. He could be a good stop gap for Utah that allows them to make their playoff push, while Exum is out. Favors is probably Utah's second best player so I imagine a lot of fans wouldn't want to see him go. The idea was that Favors and Gobert are bit redundant. Sullinger gives you a decent replacement for Favors that also provides more shooting range. Olynyk could also be subbed in for Sullinger. Tyler Zeller is a great back up big and decent starter. Young's another prospect to develop. He's already a good shooter.

Any takers?

http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6610913
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Re: Would Utah make this trade 

Post#2 » by sipclip » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:25 pm

Not a chance in hell! There is no redundancy between Favors and Gobert. They are different types of players and more importantly they are a great duo defensively.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#3 » by babyjax13 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:28 pm

LOL, no way. Boston's assets are all of pretty mediocre quality, we aren't going to consolidate them for you.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#4 » by stitches » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:30 pm

So we give up a young stud and borderline all-star in order to address stop-gap PG and add a bunch of bench players. Totally makes sense.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#5 » by Daddy 801 » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:33 pm

They aren't trading Favors. Unless it nets a #1 pick or an established star.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
OBisHalJordan
Rookie
And1: 892

Post#6 » by OBisHalJordan » Wed Aug 5, 2015 6:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. Is it just the offer that's underwhelming or do you also disagree with the idea that Favor and Gobert don't complement each other very well?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#7 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:06 pm

The offer doesn't make us any better. It is a bunch of mediocre players in positions we already have filled. Just because there are 4 of them still doesn't make it a good offer - it just feels like a roster dump on the Celtics' part in exchange for a much better player. Also, Favors-Gobert complement each other very well defensively, and there is room for optimism on the offensive side.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
ddb
RealGM
And1: 11,700

Post#8 » by ddb » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:12 pm

I made the initial trade proposal on the C's board. Let's just make 1 thing clear. DFavors is not an All-Star player right now. He is 24 years old going into his SIXTH NBA season. Granted he is good and could still improve, but it's not like we're talking about DeMarcus Cousins here. I respect the Jazz and their fans, but common....if that trade was proposed Utah would be all over it. If anything, I don't think Ainge is dumb enough to give up that much for a 2nd tier player.
I threw it out there as an idea knowing that Utah has an emerging Gobert, just drafted Lyles who has a nice upside, and also could stand to use some more depth to compete against a very tough Western Conference.

Turner, Zeller, KO or Sully, Young and our 2016 1st for Favors.

Turner-Hood-Hayward-Olynyk-Gobert
Burke-Burks-Young-Lyles-Zeller
You still have other pieces, an extra 1st from us in 2016 AND then hopefully Exum returns healthy the following year.

It's not a bad offer. Young has big upside. KO is solid. 1st rounder. rights to extend Zeller who has developed into a really good 3rd big. And Turner is your stop gap solution at PG to keep you competitive...he's actually a short-term upgrade to Exum
stitches
RealGM

Post#9 » by stitches » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:13 pm

OBisHalJordan wrote:Thanks for the replies. Is it just the offer that's underwhelming or do you also disagree with the idea that Favor and Gobert don't complement each other very well?

It's mainly the fact that Favors is not for sale. You don't give up cornerstone pieces tied to a long-term bargain of a contract in order to address depth or short-term needs(stopgap PG). It simply never happens. Unless you absolutely have to trade a guy like that(he demands a trade, his contract is about to expire and he doesn't want to sign a new one, etc.), you don't do those trades. There are a ton of ways to get depth or stopgap player that don't involve letting go a young beast and one of your best players on the team.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:28 pm

ddb wrote:I made the initial trade proposal on the C's board. Let's just make 1 thing clear. DFavors is not an All-Star player right now. He is 24 years old going into his SIXTH NBA season. Granted he is good and could still improve, but it's not like we're talking about DeMarcus Cousins here. I respect the Jazz and their fans, but common....if that trade was proposed Utah would be all over it. If anything, I don't think Ainge is dumb enough to give up that much for a 2nd tier player.
I threw it out there as an idea knowing that Utah has an emerging Gobert, just drafted Lyles who has a nice upside, and also could stand to use some more depth to compete against a very tough Western Conference.

Turner, Zeller, KO or Sully, Young and our 2016 1st for Favors.

Turner-Hood-Hayward-Olynyk-Gobert
Burke-Burks-Young-Lyles-Zeller
You still have other pieces, an extra 1st from us in 2016 AND then hopefully Exum returns healthy the following year.

It's not a bad offer. Young has big upside. KO is solid. 1st rounder. rights to extend Zeller who has developed into a really good 3rd big. And Turner is your stop gap solution at PG to keep you competitive...he's actually a short-term upgrade to Exum

But hes only been a full time start for 2 seasons, how long has Sully or DMC been full time starters???????????? :crazy:
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#11 » by stitches » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:37 pm

Favors had better per 100 possessions stats than numerous all-star players. He was better than(or equal to) first-team all-NBA Marc Gasol in pretty much all categories with the exception of assists. The fact that he hasn't been selected to an all-star team yet, doesn't mean he's not all-star worthy player. If he went to the East he'd probably be all-star in year 1. He had better year than Millsap and better year than Horford last year. And all that while being 23. And oh btw he does that while also being one of the elite defenders and rim protectors at the 4 spot, too. He's been improving every single year he's been in the league. Why the hell would I trade that for a bunch of bench players? Are you serious? None of those are starting level players on a contender. NONE! You can keep your poo-poo platter of meh, I'd keep my 24 year old stud. I don't need him to be an all-star - 28/14 per 100 possessions on great efficiency with elite defense is enough for me.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#12 » by KqWIN » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:39 pm

Utah says no for the same reason Boston says yes. One stud is worth more than a bunch of mediocre players.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#13 » by Dry Fly » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:42 pm

ddb wrote:Granted he is good and could still improve, but it's not like we're talking about DeMarcus Cousins here.

Let me put it this way... I'm pretty sure most Jazz fans value Favors higher than Cousins. Favors isn't flashy but he is a two way player that has shown constant improvement and maturity, full motor and a dedication. Cousins has shown immaturity, inconsistent play, weak motor and a lack of dedication and disruption to the team. There really isn't a comparison between the two for most Jazz fans, or at least the fans that can see the template here and agree with it.

So actually I doubt anyone here takes you that seriously when you value Cousins more than Favors in regards to what is valuable for the Jazz.
stitches
RealGM

Post#14 » by stitches » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:46 pm

Also, I apologize for the tone of my posts, it might have to do with my extreme frustration and disappointment with the Exum injury, but if you sift through the frustration - the essence stands - no team would trade a stud, borderline(potential) all-star for a bunch of bench players, unless forced to do it...
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#15 » by Dry Fly » Wed Aug 5, 2015 7:57 pm

One more thing about Cousins... the guy is weak. Rudy got inside his head last season and watching Cousins fold was awesome. I don't think I have ever seen a guy that good shrink from competition like he did. Shows he is an vain ego driven pussy. I would never want that douchebag on my team.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#16 » by KGboss » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:12 pm

Is Favors the next Tristain Thompson around here?

I honestly saw the trade on our board and thought we were giving up too much.

Interesting to see how both sides value the players they have differently.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#17 » by KqWIN » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:20 pm

KGboss wrote:Is Favors the next Tristain Thompson around here?

It's more about trading down than the value. There is no reason for the Jazz to trade down. It doesn't matter how many mediocre players we get, they're not going to replace Favors.
KGboss
RealGM
And1: 10,097

Post#18 » by KGboss » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:29 pm

KqWIN wrote:

It's more about trading down than the value. There is no reason for the Jazz to trade down. It doesn't matter how many mediocre players we get, they're not going to replace Favors.

I guess that's the difference. I dont see KO or Sully is mediocre. KO was an 18-9 per 36 player last year thats an excellent 3 point shooter. Sully is lower on my list, but hes still had some insane games for us. Hes had a few 20 rebound nights, and he can score the rock its mostly his conditioning that hurts his value.

Turner is mediocre ill give you that.

Young is 19 and has some serious potential, just not a right now piece for you guys. More like a in 3-4 years piece.

Trade picks are throw ins.

Zeller is a decent player, has good defense and soft hands around the basket, like a poor mans ROLO really with better offense, 3rd string big on a contender.

so 4 mediocers and 1 solid starter level player for 1 solid starter level player. That's why initially I thought this was too much on our end. I know you guys value Favors as a cornerstone piece, and thats great, its all potential though and today I dont think it's as "no way" as a lot of you guys are saying.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#19 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:32 pm

But we already have players who fill the positions of the players you are trying to unload. Players of equal talent, or just about, and with similar skills. So the players we get don't really fill a need or upgrade the team in any way, while at the same time we part ways with the best player in the trade. It just doesn't make sense for the Jazz.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
stitches
RealGM

Post#20 » by stitches » Wed Aug 5, 2015 8:49 pm

KGboss wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

I guess that's the difference. I dont see KO or Sully is mediocre. KO was an 18-9 per 36 player last year thats an excellent 3 point shooter. Sully is lower on my list, but hes still had some insane games for us. Hes had a few 20 rebound nights, and he can score the rock its mostly his conditioning that hurts his value.

Turner is mediocre ill give you that.

Young is 19 and has some serious potential, just not a right now piece for you guys. More like a in 3-4 years piece.

Trade picks are throw ins.

Zeller is a decent player, has good defense and soft hands around the basket, like a poor mans ROLO really with better offense, 3rd string big on a contender.

so 4 mediocers and 1 solid starter level player for 1 solid starter level player. That's why initially I thought this was too much on our end. I know you guys value Favors as a cornerstone piece, and thats great, its all potential though and today I dont think it's as "no way" as a lot of you guys are saying.

The point is that it's not 'all potential'. He is elite defensive PF and elite rim protector RIGHT NOW! YESTERDAY! Not some day in the future. He had better scoring/rebounding numbers(pace adjusted) than all-stars Marc Gasol, Al Horford, Paul Millsap at the same efficiency this year at 23! Not in the future! RIGHT NOW! Any further improvement is bonus. That's the reason you want him and have been salivating over him ever since that fake rumor about Millsap appeared. Otherwise you wouldn't be willing to give even 1 more asset than the one solid starter with 'excellent' 3 point shot(who BTW was 16.5/7.7 per 36 for the season, not 18/9)... Hell we have an excellent 3 point shooter at the 4 who shot the same % from 3 last year too... his name is Trevor Booker... both shot 'excellent' 35% from 3.

I'm sorry but Olynyk is not a starter level big. At least not if you want to be contender.

Return to Utah Jazz