Who makes the cut for opening day?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Re: Who makes the cut for opening day? 

Post#41 » by AingesBurner » Thu Oct 8, 2015 6:08 pm

Millsap is a question mark for me, his offensive inability is such a huge detriment, he is what he is, too old to get a whole lot better, I think hes expendable with Burks back, Ingles is higher on the totem pole than Millsap.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#42 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Oct 8, 2015 6:22 pm

GobertReport wrote:Millsap is a question mark for me, his offensive inability is such a huge detriment, he is what he is, too old to get a whole lot better, I think hes expendable with Burks back, Ingles is higher on the totem pole than Millsap.

I couldn't (politely) disagree more. I think he has increased minutes this year. I think he is a valuable piece of the three/four wing lineup. And I think all, or most, of his analytic measurements increase. I expect big things from him relative to the expectations people had for him a year ago. He is more valuable than Burke or Neto in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#43 » by laika » Thu Oct 8, 2015 6:37 pm

BudTugly wrote:
laika wrote:17.Chris Johnson-Would rather keep him than Ingles, but at this point is a big longshot to make the team.

wut

It was a small sample, but Johnson was much better statistically than Ingles last year. Johnson is younger and more athletic.
I've seen enough to know that Ingles will never be more than a glue guy off the bench. Johnson has a higher ceiling.

Hood, Burks and Millsap all deserve more minutes than Ingles. Cutting Ingles would free up minutes for them since Johnson is less likely to take their minutes for now.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#44 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Oct 8, 2015 6:56 pm

laika wrote:It was a small sample, but Johnson was much better statistically than Ingles last year. Johnson is younger and more athletic. I've seen enough to know that Ingles will never be more than a glue guy off the bench. Johnson has a higher ceiling.

1) Small sample size is maybe an understatement. Chris Johnson played 526 minutes last year for all teams and logged a PER of 10.2.

2) Ingles played 1673 minutes in 79 games (all for the Jazz) and had a PER of 9.6.

Give me the guy who actually played ~1700 NBA minutes over the guy who bounced around on three different teams and couldn't earn consistent playing time.

As for ceilings, come on, now. Chris Johnson is 25. Joe Ingles is 28. These guys are who they are. To talk about ceilings is a little silly.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#45 » by BudTugly » Fri Oct 9, 2015 12:58 am

StocktonShorts wrote:
stitches wrote:I'd take Chris Johnson over Cotton and Cooley.

Let's face it, all three of those guys are replacement-level players. But imagine you're on an Eastern road trip and a starter gets the flu.

If it's Favors or Gobert, you're covered (Booker, Lyles, Pleiß, Withey)
If it's Hayward or Burks, you're covered (Hood, Ingles, Millsap)
If it's Burke/Neto? You're going to wish you had Cotton on the roster and ready to suit up.

Every team should have 3 points. All you gotta do is look at what happened to Cleveland last year. The only way Cotton doesn't make the team is if they find some other guy they like better in a trade or if it is determined that Burks could handle the position full time if he had to.
outerspacefella
Analyst
And1: 73

Post#46 » by outerspacefella » Fri Oct 9, 2015 1:32 am

I want Ingles on my team. He's the guy that will put a screen on crappy little dumbs like Hibbert and violently get their a$$es to the floor without being called a flagrant. We need that. Besides, dude knows how to play ball and after AS killed it from long range... and he's friggin'fun 8-)
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#47 » by JazzMatt13 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 3:06 am

stitches wrote:We have about 19 players on the roster already. Somebody has got to get cut.

Exum, Neto, Burke, Cotton
Burks, Hood, Millsap, Graham
Hayward, Ingles, Johnson, O'Brien
Favors, Booker, Lyles, Jerrett
Gobert, Pleiss, Withey, Cooley

Jerrett's guaranteed for about 900K.
Withey guaranteed for 200K
Graham guaranteed for 75K
O'Brien guaranteed for 75K
Cotton, Millsap, Johnson and Cooley are non guaranteeds but the Jazz seem to absolutely love Millsap, so I doubt he gets cut.

I think Exum, Neto, Burke, Burks, Hood, Millsap, Hayward, Ingles, Favors, Booker, Lyles, Gobert and Pleiss are certain to be on the roster. That's 13 players.

Cotton, Graham, Johnson, O'Brien, Jerrett, Withey, Cooley are fighting for max of 2 spots(quite possibly 1 - teams sometimes leave the final spot open in order to be able to call up players from the D-League whenever injuries hit). If I had to choose I'd take Johnson + one of Cotton or Withey.

Well Jerrett was a bad guarantee plus with him injured, I have no idea about what they do with him, but I would just drop him. I think we can have 15 active players with Exum out.

1. Gobert
2. Pleiss

3. Favors
4. Booker

Little room for another 4 or 5, with Lyles we don't need any. If we did keep 1 from Cooley, Withey and Jerrett, I say keep Withey, or put all three with Idaho.

0. Exum
5. Neto
6. Burke
7. Cotton

We got 3 PG's, so we are locked here 3 is all you need.

8. Burks
9. Hood
10. Hayward

Wings is where we need to some effort in. 11. Ingles and 12. Millsap seem to be locks,

13. Lyles I would put him down as Hybrid, mix him with 3's and 4's, basically a S4.

I am guess there is only really 2 spots left:
14. Withey (he had a great game in Lakers rematch)
15. Graham/Johnson
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#48 » by stitches » Fri Oct 9, 2015 3:24 am

JazzMatt13 wrote:
Well Jerrett was a bad guarantee plus with him injured, I have no idea about what they do with him, but I would just drop him. I think we can have 15 active players with Exum out.

1. Gobert
2. Pleiss

3. Favors
4. Booker

Little room for another 4 or 5, with Lyles we don't need any. If we did keep 1 from Cooley, Withey and Jerrett, I say keep Withey, or put all three with Idaho.

0. Exum
5. Neto
6. Burke
7. Cotton

8. Burks
9. Hood
10. Hayward

Wings is where we need to some effort in. 11. Ingles and 12. Millsap seem to be locks,

13. Lyles I would put him down as Hybrid, mix him with 3's and 4's, basically a S4.

15. Graham/Johnson

Don't put 0 against Exum. He's counted in the 15. There are 2 spots for Withey, Johnson, Cotton and Cooley. Two of them make it, two of them don't... That's if we go with 15-man roster. Withey looks like a sure thing to me after 2 pre-season games. Don't see how he gets cut.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#49 » by KqWIN » Fri Oct 9, 2015 3:46 am

You have to think that there's just as good of a chance that neither Cotton or Johnson make the opening day roster as there is that one of them does. If they're thinking PG, they might just leave that spot open and give a different player a chance when the situation arises. Johnson has gotten a lot of praise this summer, but we haven't heard much about Cotton.
stitches
RealGM

Post#50 » by stitches » Fri Oct 9, 2015 4:07 am

KqWIN wrote:You have to think that there's just as good of a chance that neither Cotton or Johnson make the opening day roster as there is that one of them does. If they're thinking PG, they might just leave that spot open and give a different player a chance when the situation arises. Johnson has gotten a lot of praise this summer, but we haven't heard much about Cotton.

Another thing to consider - there will be waiver wire after teams cut their rosters to 15. The Jazz might like a player from another roster and want to sign him instead of Johnson and Cotton. So yah, it's possible none of Cotton, Johnson and Cooley makes it.
BudTugly
Veteran
And1: 1,544

Post#51 » by BudTugly » Fri Oct 9, 2015 12:17 pm

I don't know what the rules are surrounding sending/calling dudes up from the DL. Could the Jazz send down a couple of these guys without cutting them?
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#52 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Oct 9, 2015 2:36 pm

BudTugly wrote:I don't know what the rules are surrounding sending/calling dudes up from the DL. Could the Jazz send down a couple of these guys without cutting them?

I've never fully understood this as well. Seems if the person is on a guaranteed contract they can send them down and keep them on team, but a non guarantee they can't? Or maybe they can send someone down as long as they are on the 15 man roster.

I'd love to see teams be able to expand their roster two spots, and have full year injury exceptions if a team knows a player is going to be out a whole year like Dante and other players who get hurt at beginning of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#53 » by KqWIN » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:22 am

I had hopes for Cotton, but tonight was a really poor performance. His tunnel vision might be worse than Trey's aimless dribbling. I'd rather start up the revolving door of D-League players than guarantee his contract at this point.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#54 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:23 am

Cotton was bad in the second half, no doubt. But I'd give him more than one game before advocating cutting him.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#55 » by KqWIN » Sat Oct 10, 2015 4:30 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Cotton was bad in the second half, no doubt. But I'd give him more than one game before advocating cutting him.

Not now, of course, but I don't see that problem fixing itself between now and the season. He does not see the floor well. Right now I'd bet on Johnson and Cotton both being cut to leave the 15th spot open or using it on someone else.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#56 » by Catchall » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:47 am

I think Withey will be kept.
I think Millsap will be kept and will be a rotation player.
I don't think Cooley or Jerret will be kept.

I've been wanting to see more of Graham.
I think the Jazz like Chris Johnson, but he's on the bubble.
Cotton is pretty clearly behind Neto on the depth chart. He's a borderline NBA player though. Maybe he's kept until a trade happens.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#57 » by JazzMatt13 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:04 am

stitches wrote:
JazzMatt13 wrote:

1. Gobert
2. Pleiss

3. Favors
4. Booker

0. Exum
5. Neto
6. Burke
7. Cotton

8. Burks
9. Hood
10. Hayward

15. Graham/Johnson

Don't put 0 against Exum. He's counted in the 15. There are 2 spots for Withey, Johnson, Cotton and Cooley. Two of them make it, two of them don't... That's if we go with 15-man roster. Withey looks like a sure thing to me after 2 pre-season games. Don't see how he gets cut.

What I read must have been bunk, it might have been a fantasy basketball post, cause I thought you were allowed an IR if a player is injured for rest of year.

Also according to a blog I read which was last seasons I think, but it said you can only have 13 players dressed and on bench, and of course 15 players signed to a contract. So we should be figuring out who those 13 will be.

Edit: Why you giving me crap, I am right "Once placed on IR, the team may then replace the player on their roster". Exum is out and in opinion of medical staff, he will be rendered unable to play for seven days+.

So Jazz can sign 15 people total minus Exum (aka Exum remains ours, and keep contract, but someone will fill in for him).
stitches
RealGM

Post#58 » by stitches » Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:02 am

No they can't. That's not true. You are reading stuff about NHL Injury reserve lists.
The59Sound
Head Coach
And1: 917

Post#59 » by The59Sound » Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:01 am

Exum is still a member of our roster. He doesn't vanish into the ether while injured.

I'd be shocked if Withey doesn't make the roster. I imagine Cotton is a good bet, also, based on what I perceive to be DL's and Quin's affinity for him, but he certainly hasn't looked great.
R-DAWG wrote:Look guys, no matter what happens we know Fegan is a man of his word and Dwight Howard doesn't change his mind once he makes a decision.

The Quantifiable Connection: An Interstellar fan site.
http://www.quantifiableconnection.com
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#60 » by StocktonShorts » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:14 pm

Can we read anything into who the Jazz sent to the rookie symposium?

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/3051274-155/utah-jazz-rookies-learn-plenty-at

Return to Utah Jazz