Official Utah Jazz 2015-2016 Pre-Season Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Re: Official Utah Jazz 2015-2016 Pre-Season Thread 

Post#61 » by red4hf » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:25 am

Neto's shooting form on free throws looked just fine...... He should be able to become a decent outside shooter......
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#62 » by KqWIN » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:29 am

Neto's defense was very impressive and his passing was as good as advertised. He can be a poor man's Ricky Rubio. I agree with others that he will win the starting job sooner rather than later. I hope he gets some run with the starters.
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#63 » by KDBG » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:31 am

If Neto can also learn how to consistently shoot off the dribble, he'll murder teams in the pick and roll, especially with Favors.

Speaking of Favors, I won't be surprised if he averages close to 20 a game this year. He looks great.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#64 » by sipclip » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:34 am

As usual I come to this board and Trey has to be torn down for some of you to build another player up. The truth is that Trey looked solid tonight while Neto was very impressive. Watching him definitely reminded me a lot of Rubio. I'm definitely looking forward to watching him play more because he looks like one of those players that has a really great feel for the game and players love to play with.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#65 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:36 am

Really impressed with Netos pesky on ball defense and ability to poke the ball away. That kills the flow and takes a second or two of the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Matt007b
Sixth Man
And1: 161

Post#66 » by Matt007b » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:37 am

I know it's only one game but holy crap Neto was awesome.. :o

Dude's gonna take the starting spot with that defense/passing.. :crazy:

Like Pleiss as well.. so big and long he's going to cause problems once he settles in. Heck we might carry 3 centers now the way that is going with Jeff Withey as well..

We're looking really good first squad and bench if Neto keeps playing like that.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#67 » by sipclip » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:39 am

KqWIN wrote:Neto's defense was very impressive and his passing was as good as advertised. He can be a poor man's Ricky Rubio. I agree with others that he will win the starting job sooner rather than later. I hope he gets some run with the starters.

It is only one preseason game but I definitely came away with a Rubio type vibe from Neto. I had no expectations for him defensively so it was a major surprise to see how active he was on that end of the court.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#68 » by stitches » Mon Oct 5, 2015 3:47 am

... and you guys didn't believe me about Neto's defense :P He's pesky and scrappy AF! That pass to Pleiss was ridiculous. I don't even think he was looking at him.

Oh, also... Pleiss looked quicker than I thought he would. Moves his feet very well on D. I expected him to look MUCH slower among NBA-level competition.

Faves is gonna beast this season. I think I know what his secret new weapon is... that floater in the lane. Missed one and made one tonight. Would like him to be more assertive in the post.

Hayward looks even bigger than last year :o
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#69 » by KqWIN » Mon Oct 5, 2015 4:04 am

stitches wrote:... and you guys didn't believe me about Neto's defense :P He's pesky and scrappy AF! That pass to Pleiss was ridiculous. I don't even think he was looking at him.

Oh, also... Pleiss looked quicker than I thought he would. Moves his feet very well on D. I expected him to look MUCH slower among NBA-level competition.

Faves is gonna beast this season. I think I know what his secret new weapon is... that floater in the lane. Missed one and made one tonight. Would like him to be more assertive in the post.

Hayward looks even bigger than last year :o

He was even better than you predicted! There will be some times when he turns the ball over and where his lack of shooting will hurt, but his vision, tenacity, and overall game sense was amazing. I want to see him feed some passes to Favors and Gobert.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#70 » by stitches » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:09 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUdl6UOQjkk[/youtube]
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#71 » by KqWIN » Mon Oct 5, 2015 5:15 am

Does anyone else have problems viewing videos hosted by nba.com? It always freezes at 2-3 seconds and you cannot switch videos from the page itself.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#72 » by babyjax13 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 6:22 am

sipclip wrote:As usual I come to this board and Trey has to be torn down for some of you to build another player up. The truth is that Trey looked solid tonight while Neto was very impressive. Watching him definitely reminded me a lot of Rubio. I'm definitely looking forward to watching him play more because he looks like one of those players that has a really great feel for the game and players love to play with.

Trey went 3/10 and 0/4 from 3 with 3 turnovers. How is that solid?

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,298

Post#73 » by babyjax13 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 6:25 am

Trey was already in midseason form, but I liked that for the most part, he played next to Alec and Jingles and they were the de facto point guards. Neto looked like he will be a nice backup and a good change of pace guy. Reminds me of Lolcats era Brevin Knight.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
JazzMatt13
Analyst
And1: 293

Post#74 » by JazzMatt13 » Mon Oct 5, 2015 8:05 am

I feel Neto could be better than Rubio. He seems to have a good grasp of what to do, would just need a couple years.

I wouldn't be surprised if he benches next 3 years and becomes our future great point guard we have been looking for.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#75 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Oct 5, 2015 11:49 am

I have to say I find Trey's decision to slim down quite puzzling. I thought if anything he'll try to bulk up so he'll be able to absorb contact better - especially when going to the rim, which was a weak point of his. Adding bulk would have also helped him to fight through screens better, as well as keeping him from bouncing off his man on defense when contact is involved.

He chose to slim down however, and the results were quite apparent in this game - even when he managed to stay with his man defensively, he'd just bounce off his man when contact was applied, and his man (Clarkson, most notably) just managed to power by and through him without much trouble.

Can anyone explain this decision? Was it a request from the FO\coaching staff?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#76 » by reapaman » Mon Oct 5, 2015 12:18 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I have to say I find Trey's decision to slim down quite puzzling. I thought if anything he'll try to bulk up so he'll be able to absorb contact better - especially when going to the rim, which was a weak point of his. Adding bulk would have also helped him to fight through screens better, as well as keeping him from bouncing off his man on defense when contact is involved.

He chose to slim down however, and the results were quite apparent in this game - even when he managed to stay with his man defensively, he'd just bounce off his man when contact was applied, and his man (Clarkson, most notably) just managed to power by and through him without much trouble.

Well according to Burke, he wanted to improve his quickness and lateral movement which won't matter because he's still not quick ... just not as slow as before. Like you said he was better off bulking up because he bounces off guys too easily anyway.

This is just another case of a guy doing something just to appear like they care and work hard on their game when in reality this "improvement" is pointless and makes zero sense. He should of got someone to invent a wristband that shocks him every time he takes more than two dribbles in the half-court or shoot before passing the ball first. That would be more practical.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#77 » by sipclip » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:32 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
sipclip wrote:As usual I come to this board and Trey has to be torn down for some of you to build another player up. The truth is that Trey looked solid tonight while Neto was very impressive. Watching him definitely reminded me a lot of Rubio. I'm definitely looking forward to watching him play more because he looks like one of those players that has a really great feel for the game and players love to play with.

I like how you leave off the 5 rebounds. He also did a nice job of attacking the hoop off the dribble. I'm also not concerned about his shooting percentage because he took good shots. Also the 3 assists are not indicative of how well he passed the ball. He made a lot of good passes that his teammates didn't convert.
sipclip
Head Coach

Post#78 » by sipclip » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:37 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I have to say I find Trey's decision to slim down quite puzzling. I thought if anything he'll try to bulk up so he'll be able to absorb contact better - especially when going to the rim, which was a weak point of his. Adding bulk would have also helped him to fight through screens better, as well as keeping him from bouncing off his man on defense when contact is involved.

To be fair Clarkson is one of the biggest pg's in the nba at 6'5" so he is a horrible match up for Trey. Most nights Trey is going to be guarding a pg that is bigger than him but not huge compared to him.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#79 » by red4hf » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:55 pm

sipclip wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I like how you leave off the 5 rebounds. He also did a nice job of attacking the hoop off the dribble. I'm also not concerned about his shooting percentage because he took good shots. Also the 3 assists are not indicative of how well he passed the ball. He made a lot of good passes that his teammates didn't convert.

I agree with this, I thought Trey played pretty well last night.......
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#80 » by StocktonShorts » Mon Oct 5, 2015 2:55 pm

sipclip wrote:As usual I come to this board and Trey has to be torn down for some of you to build another player up.

I don't really see that. I see people independently praising some players and criticizing others.

Return to Utah Jazz