Gordon Hayward lacks the killer instict

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Reckless
Analyst
And1: 564

Post#1 » by Reckless » Sat Apr 9, 2016 11:49 pm

G-Time is too nice for his own good. If I'm the leader of the jazz I'm ripping the team a new one after that last game. Instead he'll have that nice guy response saying we didn't play our best tonight, but we'll try harder to get the next one. Think about the best players in the league right now, they don't want to win, they need to win. I think the competitive fire that fuels the top players in the game is really missing on this team and our highest payed player isn't helping.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Re: Gordon Hayward lacks the killer instict 

Post#2 » by reapaman » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:24 am

I thought this was a well known fact for years now ... nothing new.
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#3 » by CAE15 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:46 am

We don't know what happens in the locker room. Just because he's not publically ripping his teammates doesn't mean he isn't saying anything.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#4 » by StocktonShorts » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:42 pm

Having a "killer instinct" isn't the only way to lead or succeed. Plenty of counter-examples.
HawaiianJazzFan
Sixth Man
And1: 828

Post#5 » by HawaiianJazzFan » Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:18 pm

Reckless wrote:G-Time is too nice for his own good. If I'm the leader of the jazz I'm ripping the team a new one after that last game. Instead he'll have that nice guy response saying we didn't play our best tonight, but we'll try harder to get the next one. Think about the best players in the league right now, they don't want to win, they need to win. I think the competitive fire that fuels the top players in the game is really missing on this team and our highest payed player isn't helping.

Most studies show this is a terrible way to lead.....
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#6 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 2:12 am

HawaiianJazzFan wrote:
Reckless wrote:G-Time is too nice for his own good. If I'm the leader of the jazz I'm ripping the team a new one after that last game. Instead he'll have that nice guy response saying we didn't play our best tonight, but we'll try harder to get the next one. Think about the best players in the league right now, they don't want to win, they need to win. I think the competitive fire that fuels the top players in the game is really missing on this team and our highest payed player isn't helping.

Most studies show this is a terrible way to lead.....

I have a feeling Duncan never has never done this in his life. I have a feeling Pop has. Players only need to motivate other players when the coach sucks.
Jazz_Man_86
Junior
And1: 18

Post#7 » by Jazz_Man_86 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:20 am

Hood does

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#8 » by KqWIN » Tue Apr 12, 2016 12:00 am

I'm not sure I know what "killer instinct" means anymore. Hayward would be the last player I would accuse of having a lack of competitiveness on this team. It's funny how Favors can play lazy on a regular basis, and Hood can brick shot after shot with hardly anyone batting an eye. If Hayward leaves, I wonder who we will start pointing fingers at.
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#9 » by idajazz » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:51 pm

This is what happens when your star is Elder Hayward............ Clank Clank Clank Clank.
Sad part is that it is rubbing off on Hood........... Clank Clank Clank.

That sucked.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#10 » by Luigi » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:12 pm

KqWIN wrote:Hayward would be the last player I would accuse of having a lack of competitiveness on this team. It's funny how Favors can play lazy on a regular basis, and Hood can brick shot after shot with hardly anyone batting an eye. If Hayward leaves, I wonder who we will start pointing fingers at.

I usually pitch in against Hayward as a legit first option, but this post is on point. It remains true that we need a high-end offensive talent to get going, but I guess that is common knowledge now, so I don't feel the need to crusade for it anymore. I'm just waiting for the opportunity we might have to pick someone up in the future. What else are we gonna do?
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
UTJazzFan_Echo1
Lead Assistant
And1: 279

Post#11 » by UTJazzFan_Echo1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:20 pm

I disagree with much that has been said against Hayward.

Hayward is actually one of the best players in the clutch. All the statistics prove that and the point isn't arguable.

Not only is he one of the best players in the clutch, but he actually greatly increases his production in the 4th quarter showing that he has some sort of killer instinct and drive when the game is on the line.

Also, have we forgotten all of his clutch games and the games he willed the Jazz to win? I think it's sad that just a few bad instances can trump an overall body of work that proves otherwise.
Jerry Sloan >>>>>>>> Everything else.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#12 » by SoCalJazzFan » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:50 pm

I'll start this by saying that I think that Hayward is a really good player, and plays hard on both sides of the court.

However, statistics are meaningless unless taken in the context of actually watching the games. I've watched plenty of games where Hayward has been looked to at the go to guy the last minute or two, and he more often than not gets stripped of the ball, loses the handle and turns it over, drives into a wall of three or four defenders and turns the ball over (presumably hoping for a foul as he neither seems to be looking to make a shot or pass). I've literally lost track how many times this has happened over the past two seasons. I would say that he is potentially clutch when he is run through the normal offense and takes an open shot, or by means of the normal offense a driving lane is opened up. However, I would not say that he is a player that I would want as my best option in the clutch when you absolutely need a bucket with a time crunch and hand him the ball and say make it happen, because it usually doesn't go well. In fairness to him, there aren't too many players in the league that can do that.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#13 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:02 pm

Snyder is doing Hayward a bad service. He's the coach - draw up a play that helps Hayward get a basket. As it is, he's just giving him the ball and lets him go ISO. Don't really need a coach for that.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:54 am

I don't know about killer instinct, but I think it's disgusting he's wearing Kobe tribute shoes tonight.

Wtf

Have a little pride.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#15 » by AingesBurner » Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:50 am

Ugh he lacks killer instinct, he's too damn nice, maybe he needs to live with a drill sergeant for the summer.
Ingles is cooked.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by StocktonShorts » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:46 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/djjazzyjody/status/720489125929988096[/tweet]
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#17 » by dautjazz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:56 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:I don't know about killer instinct, but I think it's disgusting he's wearing Kobe tribute shoes tonight.

Wtf

Have a little pride.

Really? What's the big deal? For one, THEY ARE SHOES, not such a big deal, and it's basketball, a game, and as far as games goes, this game was all about Kobe from the opening minute, we were already out of the playoffs. Sure, you play to win, but give the guy a break, he just turned 26, he was 6yrs old when Kobe first laced a pair of shoes in the NBA, this is one of his idols, playing the last game. I haven't liked Kobe in a very long time, but it's hard to hate him on his late night. Yeah the whole farewell season was a bit much, but the last game was nice to watch. Sure Kobe chucked a ton of shots, but what really impressed me was the last few minutes, he hit all the last 5 shots I think after playing 42 minutes. After all the injuries and wear, he still could play 30+ straight minutes, and have a the endurance to take 50 shots and score 60. Don't like him, but I think I'm a little sad to know I'll never get to see him play again.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#18 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:00 pm

Jazz@Lakers: This is what killer instinct looks like. Just for reference.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.

Return to Utah Jazz