6 seasons without a playoff win

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

DiscoLives4ever
General Manager
And1: 2,757

6 seasons without a playoff win 

Post#1 » by DiscoLives4ever » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:47 pm

It's been 6 years since this franchise last won a playoff game (only one of which we even made the playoffs). It's always been somewhat frustrating to be a Jazz fan, but it seems like the last few years it has grown as we've been on our worst stretch since the early 80s. Obviously the delayed rebuild with Ty in charge has been discussed to death, but even with injuries if this team doesn't make the playoffs and have a solid showing in at least the first round, I've got to think the fanbase will become even more rabid than they have been.
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Re: 6 seasons without a playoff win 

Post#2 » by idajazz » Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:55 pm

This team gagged big time since the all star break.
They completely forgot to bring their balls to the clipper game.

Glass half full........... at least we get a better draft position and avoid getting torched 4 straight in the first round.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:16 pm

My problem is less with how many years the franchise was out of the playoffs\won a playoff game, and more with how it conducted itself during that time, which leaves a lot to be desired. Most worrisome is that out of those 5-6 seasons, the Jazz only legit tanked only one season. The rest is just incompetence.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#4 » by AingesBurner » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:16 pm

4 seasons with Hayward as our alpha, lets be honest here none of us should be surprised, if the FO doe not consolidate assets and get us a win now piece, our outlook for the future is gruesome.
Ingles is cooked.
Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Post#5 » by Stern Fixer » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:17 pm

GobertReport wrote:4 seasons with Hayward as our alpha, lets be honest here none of us should be surprised, if the FO doe not consolidate assets and get us a win now piece, our outlook for the future is gruesome.

I see it a little differently. To me there are only a handful of players in the league that can go iso down the stretch and carry a team all by themselves - LBJ, Durrant, Steph, maybe Harden. But in most those cases every Batman has a Robin to turn to as a plan B - Irving, Westbrook, Thompson etc. For those teams without a Superhero type player, think San Antonio, Atlanta, LAC, Memphis etc., everything needs to be done out of the framework of the team down the stretch - find the guy with the best shot. In our case, Hayward and Hood are not in that elite Superhero category and yet down the stretch of close games, Snyder draws up plays around them religiously AND if somebody else deviates from that predictable strategy they seem to be punished for it down the line.

Our record in close games this year is absolutely abysmal and in my mind it's primarily because our intransigent coach has chosen to continue to go down this most predictable of paths. How hard is it to defend something when you know what's coming? How hard is it to play in a system where if you deviate from plan and take the big shot (away from Hayward or Hood) you may be punished for it? Definitely not a recipe for success in my mind.
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#6 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:31 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:My problem is less with how many years the franchise was out of the playoffs\won a playoff game, and more with how it conducted itself during that time, which leaves a lot to be desired. Most worrisome is that out of those 5-6 seasons, the Jazz only legit tanked only one season. The rest is just incompetence.

And we didnt even tank correctly. We could have had Wiggins or Parker...though at this point Parker's been about the same as Exum given the injuries.
JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

Post#7 » by JazzyPhinz » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:36 pm

Hood is arguably better than Parker as of now.
But Parker still has plenty of time to prove himself.

Just sucks he cant really play the 3.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#8 » by AingesBurner » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:44 pm

Stern Fixer wrote:
GobertReport wrote:4 seasons with Hayward as our alpha, lets be honest here none of us should be surprised, if the FO doe not consolidate assets and get us a win now piece, our outlook for the future is gruesome.

I see it a little differently. To me there are only a handful of players in the league that can go iso down the stretch and carry a team all by themselves - LBJ, Durrant, Steph, maybe Harden. But in most those cases every Batman has a Robin to turn to as a plan B - Irving, Westbrook, Thompson etc. For those teams without a Superhero type player, think San Antonio, Atlanta, LAC, Memphis etc., everything needs to be done out of the framework of the team down the stretch - find the guy with the best shot. In our case, Hayward and Hood are not in that elite Superhero category and yet down the stretch of close games, Snyder draws up plays around them religiously AND if somebody else deviates from that predictable strategy they seem to be punished for it down the line.

Our record in close games this year is absolutely abysmal and in my mind it's primarily because our intransigent coach has chosen to continue to go down this most predictable of paths. How hard is it to defend something when you know what's coming? How hard is it to play in a system where if you deviate from plan and take the big shot (away from Hayward or Hood) you may be punished for it? Definitely not a recipe for success in my mind.

But again the blame lies on the FO's shoulders for giving Snyder Hayward as the teams alpha, you point out the teams missing super hero players but all of them have All Stars, and those Robins are better than Hayward. We could probably actually won some games if DL would have traded for a legit 3 point shooter any time before the deadline.
Ingles is cooked.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#9 » by CAE15 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 6:23 pm

Jazz are building a deep team, one that can compete. They got rid of the players they did because they didn't want to be mediocre. Sure it's taken time but the jazz have improved every year since Quin and they will continue. If we win half of the 17 games we lost by 5 or less. We're the 5th seed. If we didn't have injuries, maybe we're as high as 3. The pieces are coming together. The only wildcard we have to worry about for now is if a Hayward leaves. I hope he sees the success is coming slowly but surely. If we lose him for nothing. We take a big step back. Anyone who thinks he isn't our best player is out of their damn mind.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#10 » by pickIBL » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:07 pm

This is precisely the thing that makes Sam Hinkie's idea not terrible. After the Favors trade the Jazz could have sped up the rebuild. That being said there is plenty to be excited about and the Jazz do have good pieces. If the Jazz were more transparent about not winning, maybe things could have gone faster.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
KDBG
Starter
And1: 1,368

Post#11 » by KDBG » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:48 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:My problem is less with how many years the franchise was out of the playoffs\won a playoff game, and more with how it conducted itself during that time, which leaves a lot to be desired. Most worrisome is that out of those 5-6 seasons, the Jazz only legit tanked only one season. The rest is just incompetence.

Could you imagine if we had tanked for Lillard in 2012, instead of barely making the playoffs and getting our asses kicked by the Spurs? We would arguably be a number 3 seed right now. We needed to tank at the beginning of Hayward and Favors' careers, not 4 years into it.

This franchise's present and the next 5-10 years is dependent on the development of a 20 year old coming off of an ACL tear. That is some scary sh**. Our front office have better seen some really amazing things from Exum behind closed doors, because this team will be screwed if he ends up anything less than a perennial all-star.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#12 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:07 pm

KDBG wrote:

Could you imagine if we had tanked for Lillard in 2012, instead of barely making the playoffs and getting our asses kicked by the Spurs? We would arguably be a number 3 seed right now. We needed to tank at the beginning of Hayward and Favors' careers, not 4 years into it.

This franchise's present and the next 5-10 years is dependent on the development of a 20 year old coming off of an ACL tear. That is some scary sh**. Our front office have better seen some really amazing things from Exum behind closed doors, because this team will be screwed if he ends up anything less than a perennial all-star.

100% agree. Couldn't have said it better.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
StocktonShorts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,551

Post#13 » by StocktonShorts » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:31 pm

KDBG wrote:

The truth of this post makes me angry. Thanks again, KOC.
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#14 » by erudite23 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:25 pm

Who is this win-now piece and how much would we have to pay for him?
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#15 » by erudite23 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:33 pm

StocktonShorts wrote:
KDBG wrote:

The truth of this post makes me angry. Thanks again, KOC.

We would have had a really hard time losing enough at the end of 2012 to draft Lillard.

I think it's obvious, though, that the decision to build around Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap was a terrible one. Those two lost seasons are my only real gripe in this whole discussion. If we would have sold our assets off to the highest bidder in 2011 after we traded Deron, we would be 2 years farther down the road right now. It's possible we could have Lillard or Drummond, though we likely wouldn't have gotten Dante.

If there's one legit complaint against current Jazz management, this is it. But you can at least tip your hat to them for taking the risk they did and tearing it down in the summer of '13. Losing Millsap really hurt, though, and not getting anything at all out of Al sucks too.
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#16 » by AingesBurner » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:35 pm

erudite23 wrote:

Who is this win-now piece and how much would we have to pay for him?

Depends which one you go after, if you can somehow convince KD then only cap, John Wall would cost at least Exum and Hayward, James Harden could be had for Hayward, Lyles, and a future pick if he's unhappy and wants out, Jimmy Butler for Hayward, Burks, and a 1st, or CJ McCollum could be had for Hayward.
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#17 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:13 am

erudite23 wrote: But you can at least tip your hat to them for taking the risk they did and tearing it down in the summer of '13. Losing Millsap really hurt, though, and not getting anything at all out of Al sucks too.

Can't do that. Millsap walked because the Jazz wouldn't pay him, not because some bravery of the FO. They were willing to pay him 8M and no more, and he ended up signing for 9.5M. Just like they refused to pay Carroll 2.5M, or pay Korver 5M. The risk was not that they tanked that season (which they also refused to admit they were doing), the risk was tanking only that season, and nothing more. This is what handicapped the future of this team, because that's the reason we don't have that high of a ceiling as a team.

The most disturbing thing is that nothing in this franchise's mindset has changed. Despite the lessons of the past, they are doing the same mistakes, under a different GM. Some people now seem to be upset with KOC that the team chased the 8th seed for no reason and with no upside for getting it, instead of tanking a putting us in a position to take a talent that can advance this team in the future, but this year DL did it again. It's the fanbase's fault for being prisoners of the moment and backing the FO in their way of doing things, since just like we would have gained nothing by clinching the 8th seed with that Big Al team, we would have gained nothing by clinching the 8th seed this year and getting booted by the Warriors. And in true Jazz fashion, due to the FO's unwillingness to commit to one course of action and sticking with it, once again, we got the worst of both worlds as a result.

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#18 » by AingesBurner » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:28 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
erudite23 wrote: But you can at least tip your hat to them for taking the risk they did and tearing it down in the summer of '13. Losing Millsap really hurt, though, and not getting anything at all out of Al sucks too.

Can't do that. Millsap walked because the Jazz wouldn't pay him, not because some bravery of the FO. They were willing to pay him 8M and no more, and he ended up signing for 9.5M. Just like they refused to pay Carroll 2.5M, or pay Korver 5M. The risk was not that they tanked that season (which they also refused to admit they were doing), the risk was tanking only that season, and nothing more. This is what handicapped the future of this team, because that's the reason we don't have that high of a ceiling as a team.

The most disturbing thing is that nothing in this franchise's mindset has changed. Despite the lessons of the past, they are doing the same mistakes, under a different GM. Some people now seem to be upset with KOC that the team chased the 8th seed for no reason and with no upside for getting it, instead of tanking a putting us in a position to take a talent that can advance this team in the future, but this year DL did it again. It's the fanbase's fault for being prisoners of the moment and backing the FO in their way of doing things, since just like we would have gained nothing by clinching the 8th seed with that Big Al team, we would have gained nothing by clinching the 8th seed this year and getting booted by the Warriors. And in true Jazz fashion, due to the FO's unwillingness to commit to one course of action and sticking with it, once again, we got the worst of both worlds as a result.

Man reading this reminds me of the song "Love hurts", that truth bomb added seasons of pain all together in fell swoop.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#19 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:32 am

GobertReport wrote:Man reading this reminds me of the song "Love hurts", that truth bomb added seasons of pain all together in fell swoop.

The way this front office handles things, it reminds me of Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like A Hole". Especially the "I'd rather die than give you control" part, but pretty much all of it, really.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-Sahfy7Hg[/youtube]

AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#20 » by AingesBurner » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:34 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
GobertReport wrote:Man reading this reminds me of the song "Love hurts", that truth bomb added seasons of pain all together in fell swoop.

The way this front office handles things, it reminds me of Nine Inch Nails' "Head Like A Hole". Especially the "I'd rather die than give you control" part, but pretty much all of it, really.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao-Sahfy7Hg[/youtube]

Hahahaha perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Ingles is cooked.

Return to Utah Jazz