Three-way deal with Atlanta, Indiana and Utah, with George Hill going to the Jazz, league sources tell @TheVertical.

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Re: Three-way deal with Atlanta, Indiana and Utah, with George Hill going to the Jazz, league sources tell @TheVertical. 

Post#161 » by Dry Fly » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:11 am

I would have rather have traded for Teague but I like the defense first mentality. We are going to be a shut down team and that has me psyched.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Re: Three-way deal with Atlanta, Indiana and Utah, with George Hill going to the Jazz, league sources tell @TheVertical. 

Post#162 » by CAE15 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:29 am

So people are really upset that we didn't draft another project to wait around for 2 to 3 years playing behind the young guys we do have and then for them potentially to pull a Kanter and demand a trade?

Other than a legit backup for Rudy; which I'll admit if Sabonis or Poeltl are there at 12, I might be a lil bummed. But as repeatedly said in this thread. Hill is such a great great fit for this team, especially on where this team is right now. He'll be an awesome veteran presence who fits into everything the jazz are about. While I think Teague is a better player ish. Hill fits our team better. And he's a much better defender. I do question what it means for Neto or Mack though

Hill, Exum, Mack, Neto
Hood, Burks
Hayward, Ingles
Favors, Lyles
Gobert, Withey, Pleiss

Add a couple of FAs and that's our team next year. The more I think about it. It looks like we'll carry 4 point guards this year. Exum and Hill can play in the same backcourt easily.

What we get out of Hill this next season and beyond will be better than anything we would've got with a draft pick. Because the chances of that draft pick earning a significant role like Hill will have this season. Is very very doubtful considering how our roster is currently structured.

Sent from my SM-N910T using RealGM mobile app
Bullet
Junior
And1: 18

Post#163 » by Bullet » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:52 am

It's easy to understand DL's motivation for this:
1. Win NOW - Maximizing on the two-year window the Jazz have before all of G's, Rudy's and Hood's extensions pile up.
2. Upgrading the PG spot while Exum recovers from injury.
3. Versatility - can play off-ball and defend back-up 2-guards.

I understand the excitement a 12th pick in this draft brings, but at some point you have to pull the trigger on going to win-now mode. We can easily renegotiate and extend Hill's and Favors' contracts then sign Batum to play the 3/small-4. That's a pretty good lineup:

Hill/Mack/Neto
Hood/Exum/Johnson
Hayward/Batum/Ingles
Favors/Lyles
Gobert/Withey/Pleiss

That probably won't beat GSW, SAS or OKC, but with that defense I like our chances.
reapaman
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,220

Post#164 » by reapaman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:05 am

CAE15 wrote:So people are really upset that we didn't draft another project to wait around for 2 to 3 years playing behind the young guys we do have and then for them potentially to pull a Kanter and demand a trade?

Other than a legit backup for Rudy; which I'll admit if Sabonis or Poeltl are there at 12, I might be a lil bummed. But as repeatedly said in this thread. Hill is such a great great fit for this team, especially on where this team is right now. He'll be an awesome veteran presence who fits into everything the jazz are about. While I think Teague is a better player ish. Hill fits our team better. And he's a much better defender. I do question what it means for Neto or Mack though

Hill, Exum, Mack, Neto
Hood, Burks
Hayward, Ingles
Favors, Lyles
Gobert, Withey, Pleiss

Add a couple of FAs and that's our team next year. The more I think about it. It looks like we'll carry 4 point guards this year. Exum and Hill can play in the same backcourt easily.

What we get out of Hill this next season and beyond will be better than anything we would've got with a draft pick. Because the chances of that draft pick earning a significant role like Hill will have this season. Is very very doubtful considering how our roster is currently structured.

Sure Hill theoretically "fits" the team from a functional aspect. However, he was a "fit" in Indiana when they were seen as a contending level team yet Indiana was still looking for another pg the whole time because Hill can't consistently facilitate an offense. They needed someone to be their primary offensive facilitator and so do we otherwise we will have guys often standing around looking at other guys going iso or passing the ball around aimlessly until the shot clock is about to expire like its been happening since Deron left. You still have a problem at PG and still need to find another one. Hill can make us better, but we still have a major problem that a starting PG should solve, but he doesn't just like he didn't solve that problem for Indiana. There has to be a follow up move to this.

Plus most of our current "core" are no where near their primes yet and by the time they get there, hill will be on the decline (this assumes he resigns with the team which is a huge question mark at this point). To get the most out of hill, you need to make major moves to get in some veterans that are ready to compete now, otherwise why are you doing this? Lindsey can't half-ass this. He has to go all in and take risk.

It would make more sense just to draft another young guy even if they fail. If we have to wait 2-3 years for a draft pick to pan out, so what? Whats the rush? most of our guys are in their early 20's, they won't be ready until then or likely later anyway. Once again, if Lindsey isn't going to follow this up by taking risk and swamping some of the youth out for veterans, then why is Hill here?
BRING JAMAAL FRANKLIN TO UTAH!!!!!
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Re: Re: Three-way deal with Atlanta, Indiana and Utah, with George Hill going to the Jazz, league sources tell @TheVerti 

Post#165 » by CAE15 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:19 am

reapaman wrote:
CAE15 wrote:So people are really upset that we didn't draft another project to wait around for 2 to 3 years playing behind the young guys we do have and then for them potentially to pull a Kanter and demand a trade?

Hill, Exum, Mack, Neto
Hood, Burks
Hayward, Ingles
Favors, Lyles
Gobert, Withey, Pleiss

Sure Hill theoretically "fits" the team from a functional aspect. However, he was a "fit" in Indiana when they were seen as a contending level team yet Indiana was still looking for another pg the whole time because Hill can't consistently facilitate an offense. They needed someone to be their primary offensive facilitator and so do we otherwise we will have guys often standing around looking at other guys going iso or passing the ball around aimlessly until the shot clock is about to expire like its been happening since Deron left. You still have a problem at PG and still need to find another one. Hill can make us better, but we still have a major problem that a starting PG should solve, but he doesn't just like he didn't solve that problem for Indiana. There has to be a follow up move to this.

Plus most of our current "core" are no where near their primes yet and by the time they get there, hill will be on the decline (this assumes he resigns with the team which is a huge question mark at this point). To get the most out of hill, you need to make major moves to get in some veterans that are ready to compete now, otherwise why are you doing this? Lindsey can't half-ass this. He has to go all in and take risk.

It would make more sense just to draft another young guy even if they fail. If we have to wait 2-3 years for a draft pick to pan out, so what? Whats the rush? most of our guys are in their early 20's, they won't be ready until then or likely later anyway. Once again, if Lindsey isn't going to follow this up by taking risk and swamping some of the youth out for veterans, then why is Hill here?

Because we need to make moves to compete in the playoffs. We can't just have guys waiting around that we hope pan out before Hayward and Favors decide that it isn't working out. Hill will be a factor for this team in the coming season. Lyles who showed well barely even played last year. That other pick at 12 this year would've barely played. We don't really have a hole on the roster that a rookie would be able to cease. We need vets for the young guys to learn from. Hill on paper might be the best guy to mentor Exum in the entire league as far as knowing that the guy you're mentoring will be groomed to start over you. Players that know and accept their role thrive. Hill should be able to have a role on this team for the next 2 to 3 years minimum when the team should be battling for a top 4 seed in the west. That will be crucial. While the 12th pick might have a little run where they show flashes but then next thing you know; the season is over. Jazz are taking a chance on this trade but where this team is and needs to be, it's the absolute right move.

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: Three-way deal with Atlanta, Indiana and Utah, with George Hill going to the ... 

Post#166 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:27 am

Locke mentioned on his podcast that George Hill contract can be renegotiated. So.....that's good news. Hopefully it happens.
Dozer!
Senior
And1: 46

Post#167 » by Dozer! » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:39 am

i don't have a problem with this trade. Hill hopefully will have a Fisher like effect on this team. He hits open shots and plays great defense. There might be a reason why everyone is trying to trade their picks.
Dr Salad Bowl
Junior
And1: 51

Post#168 » by Dr Salad Bowl » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:38 am

This is definitely a "we need to make the playoffs next year no matter what" move, and one I fully support.
tleikheen
Analyst
And1: 956

Post#169 » by tleikheen » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:17 am

I think I and quite a few others here already thought a healthy Jazz team (Exum,Burks,Gobert,Favors ) was going to be a 50 win team and with continued growth from experience was going to see a dominant defensive team AND greatly improved offensive team before this trade.

Jazz were in position to capitalize on a good player who fell to them and could be there in a year to two years to make the jazz a top team for the next 4/5 years .Hill will help next year but Exum will be the PG and within a month might be playing 32/34 minutes a night.Same with Hood 32/34 minutes and Burks 26/28 minutes.Jazz with their young guys could have broken in a Korkmaz or DMurray and be seeing their reward in a yr or two and still been a 50 plus Win team just from their defense and improved offense .

But the trade is done and Hill now backs up Exum and joins (Exum,Hood,Burks) in the guard play .The commitment to defense is total and this can be fun to watch .Another bonus if Hill ,Hayward,and Hood make their 3's I think Exum will be 7+++ assists a game next year and wouldn't surprise me to see him around 8.
reapaman
Assistant Coach

Re: Re: Three-way deal with Atlanta, Indiana and Utah, with George Hill going to the Jazz, league sources tell @TheVerti 

Post#170 » by reapaman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:53 pm

CAE15 wrote:
reapaman wrote:

Hill, Exum, Mack, Neto
Hood, Burks
Hayward, Ingles
Favors, Lyles
Gobert, Withey, Pleiss

Because we need to make moves to compete in the playoffs. We can't just have guys waiting around that we hope pan out before Hayward and Favors decide that it isn't working out. Hill will be a factor for this team in the coming season. Lyles who showed well barely even played last year. That other pick at 12 this year would've barely played. We don't really have a hole on the roster that a rookie would be able to cease. We need vets for the young guys to learn from. Hill on paper might be the best guy to mentor Exum in the entire league as far as knowing that the guy you're mentoring will be groomed to start over you. Players that know and accept their role thrive. Hill should be able to have a role on this team for the next 2 to 3 years minimum when the team should be battling for a top 4 seed in the west. That will be crucial. While the 12th pick might have a little run where they show flashes but then next thing you know; the season is over. Jazz are taking a chance on this trade but where this team is and needs to be, it's the absolute right move.

From a competing standpoint, do you think we will be more attractive to Hayward next off-season than the Celtics, Blazers, Raptors, Pacers, Pistons, ect ... ? All young teams in general that would likely be after Hayward, but will be further along then we are by then. If we are trading for hill to appeal to Hayward and Favors then this is a short-sided view that likely won't work. Plus no one really knows Hayward and Favors real motivations, so they may leave even if we meet reasonable expectations.

The team as constructed is not ready to compete for a deep playoff run and quite frankly, I'm not sure even with Hill if they make the playoffs depending on what happens this off-season. Any success you have next year won't matter much anyway if Hill leaves which is highly possible. Your not sure if Hill will rub off on Exum or that Exum will pan out like people hope. As I said before, you still have a significant weakness at PG which is the position Hill is suppose to play mostly just like the Pacers did when they were considered contenders. If Hayward leaves next off-season, then what?

If your going to do a move like this, then go all in and go get more older vets which likely will require trading some of the young guys. This is move as stands is a half-ass attempt to appeal to naive fans.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#171 » by goober » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:34 pm

I don't think calling fans who like the trade "naive" is fair at all, it's condescending, and kind of immature.

You stated the pacers have been trying to deal him because he doesn't facilitate the ball, well the Pacers also don't have as many facilitators as the Jazz do in the starting lineup, George Hill in his given role won't have to be the main facilitator, which is exactly why the Jazz traded for him. He can be incredibly effective without the ball in his hands which is what we need at the point right now with Hood and Hayward. So this "theoretical" fit as you so call is a lot more realistic than you're giving credit.

"The major problem at PG" that you hail we still have is blatantly false, Hill is a competent starter, how is that a major point guard problem? Then we have Exum, who can become an even better PG than Hill. This point of yours is far too extreme.

Hill may be on a different timetable than most of our players but couldn't that be considered a good thing? The Jazz have desperately needed a strong veteran presence in our locker room and George Hill will definitely be that. I'm completely fine with keeping him too as our backup PG because he would be a premier backup PG. The Jazz need a person who has had playoff experience, especially when their aiming for the playoffs this upcoming season. Hill has had quality minutes in the playoffs in his career and can definitely help prepare the young guys for that next step.

I'd go more into your arguments but frankly they're full of logical fallacies and illicit appeals. I can understand not feeling excited about this trade, but to go out and generalize a specific part of the fanbase is totally uncalled for and very rude.
Dry Fly
Starter
And1: 928

Post#172 » by Dry Fly » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:53 pm

reapaman wrote:This is move as stands is a half-ass attempt to appeal to naive fans.

Yeah yeah... you are just a draft junkie.
russnumber3
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#173 » by russnumber3 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:24 pm

erudite23 wrote:
russnumber3 wrote:Bleh, Hill isn't even a top 20 pg, and don't throw stats at me, I've watched him play alot. Not feeling it.

So should everyone just go based on your opinion of him? Is that the deal?

Go off of whatever you want. In my opinion this trade is just "meh." Hill doesn't make us anything near a contender. First round losers, at best.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: Three-way deal with Atlanta, Indiana and Utah, with George Hill going to the ... 

Post#174 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:33 pm

People upset we didn't become a contender with this trade. Last I checked LeBron, Durant, and Steph aren't being traded for a #12 pick.
idajazz
Analyst
And1: 139

Post#175 » by idajazz » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:45 pm

Wow talk about glass half empty fans....
The most talked about need for the last few yrs has been the point.
They finally make a deal and get a SOLID vet who instantly fixes the problem as well as adding a Solid veteran presence to one of the youngest rosters and people still whine and complain.
Perfect get in my humble opinion.
If we stay fairly healthy next yr, this team is poised to make a BIG jump.
jazzfan1971
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,108

Post#176 » by jazzfan1971 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:53 pm

I don't hate the deal. Mostly because there was nobody in the draft I liked. I do wonder why we took Hill over Teague without getting a little something extra back. I also wonder why we hung onto Trey in the deal. I have questions.
"Thibs called back and wanted more picks," said Jorge Sedano. "And Pat Riley, literally, I was told, called him a mother-bleeper and hung up the phone."
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#177 » by AingesBurner » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:04 pm

I think Bill Cosby was involved in the trade and made Dennis one of his famous puddin pop cocktails.
Ingles is cooked.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#178 » by Winglish » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:20 pm

idajazz wrote:Wow talk about glass half empty fans....
The most talked about need for the last few yrs has been the point.
They finally make a deal and get a SOLID vet who instantly fixes the problem as well as adding a Solid veteran presence to one of the youngest rosters and people still whine and complain.
Perfect get in my humble opinion.
If we stay fairly healthy next yr, this team is poised to make a BIG jump.

I have to agree. The Jazz went from playing with the worst point guard lineup in the league to having a solid first and second in Hill and Exum. Would I have preferred a more dynamic player than George Hill? Of course! But this trade make the Jazz better instead of the same or worse. It's progress!
reapaman
Assistant Coach

Post#179 » by reapaman » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:38 pm

The reaction for the people expressing optimism on this trade is almost the same reaction to when the Jazz got Mo Williams or when the Jazz got Trey Burke. I got heavy criticism for crapping on those deals and each of those situations ended in disappointment. So excuse me if I'm having deja vu.

This isn't going to work like people think it will and don't be surprise if Hayward and Hill both leave for nothing.
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#180 » by goober » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:45 pm

I'm pretty sure you hate everything the Jazz do just so you can vocalize the times you were correct, and when you're wrong saying "I'm glad I was wrong". No lose situation for you.

Return to Utah Jazz