Warriors aside, Jazz biggest winners in free agency

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Stern Fixer
Rookie
And1: 282

Warriors aside, Jazz biggest winners in free agency 

Post#1 » by Stern Fixer » Fri Jul 8, 2016 5:16 pm

"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Re: Warriors aside, Jazz biggest winners in free agency 

Post#2 » by pickIBL » Fri Jul 8, 2016 5:25 pm

I can't complain. The Hayward situation is what it is BUT they can do things moving forward to lock guys in and keep things going. I really like how Favors is committed to the franchise, and I would lock him in. When it's time for Hood and Gobert you've got to get it done. Alec might be on the block I would think
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#3 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 5:25 pm

If they lock up Hill for another year or two and extend Favs it will be close to as perfect an off season as reasonably expected. The only thing DL could have done that MIGHT have been better was make a trade for a big name guy(Westbrook, Love, etc). And considering those guys don't seem to be on the market yet, it's not really fair to expect the impossible.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#4 » by pickIBL » Fri Jul 8, 2016 5:31 pm

They tend to shy away from up tempo guards. I'm not even sure Love at the 4 is the answer with a quality and committed big like Favors.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#5 » by Stern Fixer » Fri Jul 8, 2016 5:56 pm

And all for less than the Pistons paid to lock up Jon Leuer for the next four years. LOL
"But if you want to win, you have to teach a player how to win. That's why I don't believe in tanking, all that stuff. You don't learn how to win by losing on purpose to get a 19-year-old who you've never seen." -Rudy Gobert, 2017/18 Season
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Post#6 » by Winglish » Fri Jul 8, 2016 6:01 pm

I agree. I think Dennis Lindsey has done a fantastic job this summer and I am excited for the upcoming season. I forsee the Jazz becoming winners once again!

I also agree that the Jazz need to make some roster decisions sooner rather than later and get some guys on poison pills.
Blackie
Junior
And1: 20

Post#7 » by Blackie » Fri Jul 8, 2016 8:27 pm

Happy. I think Quin is going to have a difficult job deciding who plays. That is a good problem to have. I wish him and the Jazz well.
pickIBL
Head Coach

Post#8 » by pickIBL » Fri Jul 8, 2016 10:59 pm

I wonder what could be had for alec. That could cap this off season. I see no reason to bury the guy on the bench.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#9 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 11:41 pm

pickIBL wrote:I wonder what could be had for alec. That could cap this off season. I see no reason to bury the guy on the bench.

Considering one of Hood or Hayward might have to be moved in next year, I don't see the Jazz getting rid of him.
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 637

Post#10 » by remi_222 » Fri Jul 8, 2016 11:53 pm

don't know if they are the second winner of this FA, but definitely they have made great moves.
I think that the Diaw trade is crucial, it can connect the locker room more than before, with this guy u get someone who has an incredible IQ bball, who can make the offense so much more fluid.
Also, the team has to go back on track after the desapointed year they have made, so if you have smart arrivals like you guys had + Dante exum coming back + the anger and frustration from last yr = you have a competitive team for the top 8 in the western conference !
pretty basketball will be played in Salt Lake city this yr
erudite23
Lead Assistant
And1: 659

Post#11 » by erudite23 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:50 pm

It's been unbelievable to see the universal approval of our offseason from the various commentators, sportswriters and pundits in and around the NBA.

Interesting, given that our own board has been much more lukewarm on some of the moves.

This is going to be a really fun season.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#12 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:07 pm

Another thing about these moves is that it's possible/likely that Favs or Hayward get moved. JJ and Diaw are the built in replacements for that move. Assuming it does happen.

If the Jazz half way through the season look at the numbers and think we can make playoffs and still trade Hayward to Boston and get those Brooklyn picks, I think the Jazz think long and hard about that move. It would leave a ton of cap space, have a competitive team, and still a chance at a superstar in the draft. Not saying it's going to happen, but it's obvious DL likes options.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,469

Post#13 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:46 pm

JJ and Diaw are not an insurance policy to either Favors or Hayward, and not why we trade or keep them. JJ and Diaw are 34 and 35 and on short term deals. Neither has a long term future with this franchise, which isn't to say they weren't good signings.

And man, the Nets are just the gift that keeps on giving. Top 3 pick in the last draft, and Boston gets to swap picks with them next draft.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#14 » by Daddy 801 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:10 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:JJ and Diaw are not an insurance policy to either Favors or Hayward, and not why we trade or keep them. JJ and Diaw are 34 and 35 and on short term deals. Neither has a long term future with this franchise, which isn't to say they weren't good signings.

And man, the Nets are just the gift that keeps on giving. Top 3 pick in the last draft, and Boston gets to swap picks with them next draft.

You misunderstood. I'm not saying JJ and Boris replace Hayward or Favs. I'm saying if Hood or Lyles show they can be "starter" material I absolutely can see a scenario where DL trades Hayward or Favs at a chance for a top pick in a couple drafts. Having JJ and Boris mean we don't lose total depth at that given position.

Exum, Hill, Hood, Burks, JJ would still provide a good rotation if Hayward was moved.

And Lyles, Boris, Gobert, Withey are a good rotation if Favs was moved.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,469

Post#15 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:10 pm

I can't see the Jazz trade either, not that I would be against it. They just don't operate this way. If either is moved then sure, JJ and Diaw gives you some depth, but I don't think that's why they were signed--to give the Jazz options in case of a Hayward\Favors trade. It's just a consequence of adding depth, which would have happened regardless since the holes in the roster were apparent in advance.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Bullet
Junior
And1: 18

Post#16 » by Bullet » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:16 am

pickIBL wrote:I wonder what could be had for alec. That could cap this off season. I see no reason to bury the guy on the bench.

I see no reason for DL to trade him this early. Not yet. Quin has a very sound reason to limit his minutes (as well as Exum) because of their respective injuries. Burks is a great talent wrt to his friendly contract and if I were DL, I'd hold on to him a little longer until the right scenario presents itself -- need for cap space for Favors or Hill R+E, as a package for a star or a straight up trade for Burks. He's also a nice insurance in case Hayward walks in FA.
Stern Fixer
Rookie

Post#17 » by Stern Fixer » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:01 am

erudite23 wrote:It's been unbelievable to see the universal approval of our offseason from the various commentators, sportswriters and pundits in and around the NBA.

Interesting, given that our own board has been much more lukewarm on some of the moves.

This is going to be a really fun season.

I don't think I've looked more forward to a season beginning since Stock and Malone laced em up.

Return to Utah Jazz