How much to keep Favors?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

JazzyPhinz
Starter
And1: 1,200

How much to keep Favors? 

Post#1 » by JazzyPhinz » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:28 am

What's the most you guys would re-sign him for?

If he agrees to 15 per yr for 4 is that worth it?

That number is where I'm at currently.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Re: How much to keep Favors? 

Post#2 » by AingesBurner » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:31 am

JazzyPhinz wrote:What's the most you guys would re-sign him for?

If he agrees to 15 per yr for 4 is that worth it?

That number is where I'm at currently.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

15 is good but I imagine he wants to get paid.
Ingles is cooked.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#3 » by KqWIN » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:55 am

Favors number starts at $25 M imo. I might not give that to him, but somebody will and that's what his agent should demand.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#4 » by stitches » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:39 am

The best solution to keeping Favors is still restructuring his deal. If he's up for 22-22-15-15, I would do it without hesitation.

The biggest question, though, is - does Quin plan to use him at all? He seems to avoid using him in the clutch at all right now and if he can't get on the floor for more than 25 minutes we cannot really afford to be giving him anything more than ~15M and I would be looking to trade him, because I can't imagine Favors being eager to do this when he was lined up to get max or close to max before this year.
Tom349
Rookie
And1: 266

Post#5 » by Tom349 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:59 am

stitches wrote:The best solution to keeping Favors is still restructuring his deal. If he's up for 22-22-15-15, I would do it without hesitation.

The biggest question, though, is - does Quin plan to use him at all? He seems to avoid using him in the clutch at all right now and if he can't get on the floor for more than 25 minutes we cannot really afford to be giving him anything more than ~15M and I would be looking to trade him, because I can't imagine Favors being eager to do this when he was lined up to get max or close to max before this year.

Either way you offer the extension. Favors on a good contract will only help increase his value in the event you did trade him.
laika
Analyst
And1: 1,996

Post#6 » by laika » Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:14 am

I don't think it's at all possible to resign everyone. When picking who to go, you have to choose the player most likely to have long term injury problems. That is Favors.
Of course the dilemma could resolve itself this summer because there's a decent chance we don't resign Hayward and Hill.
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#7 » by pickIBL » Mon Jan 30, 2017 4:20 pm

If weight and injury change his game you have to be careful.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
jazzfanWA
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2018-2019
And1: 362

Post#8 » by jazzfanWA » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:36 pm

Favors is not going to age well.
stitches
RealGM

Post#9 » by stitches » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:46 pm

jazzfanWA wrote:Favors is not going to age well.

Like... into his mid-20s or into his 30s?
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#10 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:51 pm

stitches wrote:

Late 20's, he's falling apart like DWill did.
Ingles is cooked.
stitches
RealGM

Post#11 » by stitches » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:01 pm

GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:

That would suck big time if it happens :(
AingesBurner
RealGM

Post#12 » by AingesBurner » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:23 pm

stitches wrote:
GobertReport wrote:
stitches wrote:Like... into his mid-20s or into his 30s?

That would suck big time if it happens :(

Definitely will and it will make that DWill trade look about even.
Ingles is cooked.
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#13 » by Daddy 801 » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:52 pm

I would trade Favs. I wanted to years ago. I wanted in the off season. Stitches convinced me we should keep him, and had Stitches been right(and he still could be) it would be a colossal mistake to trade him, but I am ready to move on.

Still think Crowder is the guy to go after. If he doesn't work as a small ball PF you slide Hayward to the 2 and play Crowder at the 3.

Hill, Hayward, Crowder, Lyles(JJ/Ingles), Gobert starting. With Hood and Burks off the bench. That's a good unit and Crowder adds to the ability to play the 3 or 4 wing lineup as well. Plus he helps increase our perimeter defense and relieves Hayward of taking the most difficult wing defender. And it leaves room to resign Ingles in the offseason which is a good idea. This is especially a good move if we get Hill to restructure his deal.

Still leads the Jazz with a void at PF. But that needs to be addressed in free agency and keep developing Bolomboy and Lyles.
millslapper
Senior
And1: 332

Post#14 » by millslapper » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:48 pm

Favors, as said, probably has the tendency, to not age well. From a sports perspective.
Especially since he is looking for his jumpshot more, which i do not like.

It is a very difficult question and it's good that there are people who should be good enough to make the right decision, hopefully.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#15 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:55 pm

I don't think he is going to get $25 million, but perhaps I'm wrong. This season and last scare me, I'd like to keep him on a reasonable contract, but I'm also perfectly content with us trading him. Problem is, if we trade him it shows our hand and probably means he has limited value. It's a lose-lose situation if he can't regain last year's form. Outside of his shooting percentages (and thus points), though, his per36 stats are nearly identical, so I have hope that if he can be a more efficient jump shooter it opens up the middle for him a bit and he can be just as effective even if his athleticism is limited.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
zero24gravity
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#16 » by zero24gravity » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:03 pm

Are you talking about trading Favors before the trade deadline? That's a dangerous game to play when the team needs to be doing everything in their power to convince Hayward to stay. Messing with chemistry, or potentially downgrading the roster (not going to get equal talent back for an injured player heading into the last year of their contract under most circumstances). If they do trade him, it should be after Hayward, hopefully, resigns.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,681

Post#17 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:01 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
zero24gravity wrote:Are you talking about trading Favors before the trade deadline? That's a dangerous game to play when the team needs to be doing everything in their power to convince Hayward to stay. Messing with chemistry, or potentially downgrading the roster (not going to get equal talent back for an injured player heading into the last year of their contract under most circumstances). If they do trade him, it should be after Hayward, hopefully, resigns.

Hey Zero. Good points. I am just glad that we appear to have a pretty smart Jazz front office. I am cautiously optimistic that they won't do something that hurts us too badly, like let go Favors cheap when he is on his way back to being a high efficiency 16-9 guy again, or alternatively re-signing Favors to $25 mill per season when he is damaged goods. Many a team has been badly hurt by signing damaged players to massive contracts. Right now it looks like the Grizz are wasting some of Gasol, Zbo and Conley's last years of high productivity basketball by pairing them with a huge contract for Parsons who isn't giving them anything.

On another note, we want Hayward to re-sign, not resign.
Mutangclan
Junior
And1: 54

Post#18 » by Mutangclan » Wed Feb 1, 2017 6:47 pm

We have a real problem with Favors. Out tonight again? After no activity.....This is not good for one half of Swat Lake City. He's breaking down without even playing games. ugh.

On the other hand, this looks great financially. Assuming this is a continuous theme, we could re-sign for a much lower contract. Most likely.
"People who put quotes here are tools."
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#19 » by BarneyGumble » Fri Feb 3, 2017 8:57 pm

Is it possible we are trying to trade him and that's why he hasnt been playing?
Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Post#20 » by Daddy 801 » Fri Feb 3, 2017 9:03 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:Is it possible we are trying to trade him and that's why he hasnt been playing?

No. Numerous reports are talking about him having no "bounce", "lift", or "energy". Which are hidden words for Favs back/knee/etc are still screwed.

Return to Utah Jazz