Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Daddy 801
General Manager
And1: 2,436

Re: Pre Trade Deadline Thread 

Post#261 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:46 pm

sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:I'm not sure he's eligible for 25.6. He's still limited by 25% max for the current year. I think his max right now is at around 22-23M.

Yeah, you're right. The thing that throws a wrench into everything is that Hood is likely a max player because of Brooklyn. Exum's price will be jacked up as well because of them. If Hood doesn't sign an extension this summer, I'd trade him immediately because he's going to get the max and he's not worth it.

What you have to remember is that not all max contracts are created equal and with the nets still not having their own draft pick once again next season I wouldn't be shocked to see them once again attempt to spend big this summer with possibly better luck since teams will be a little more cash strapped this summer.

If Hood is worth a max and we are worried Brooklyn will max him we trade him for awesome assets before he hits the market, or we match and then trade him. It' s a non issue. Let's hope he is worth a max as it's a good problem to have.
KqWIN
RealGM
And1: 6,360

Post#262 » by KqWIN » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:47 pm

sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
stitches wrote:I'm not sure he's eligible for 25.6. He's still limited by 25% max for the current year. I think his max right now is at around 22-23M.

Yeah, you're right. The thing that throws a wrench into everything is that Hood is likely a max player because of Brooklyn. Exum's price will be jacked up as well because of them. If Hood doesn't sign an extension this summer, I'd trade him immediately because he's going to get the max and he's not worth it.

What you have to remember is that not all max contracts are created equal and with the nets still not having their own draft pick once again next season I wouldn't be shocked to see them once again attempt to spend big this summer with possibly better luck since teams will be a little more cash strapped this summer.

25% of the cap is still way too much for Hood. This won't be a situation where you give him the max because the cap will continue to rise. Also, BKN has less than $10 M guaranteed on the books for that summer. I have a hard time believing that they can add ~$80 M in salary next summer. They will have room, and they will max out Hood given the opportunity.
stitches
RealGM
And1: 6,811

Post#263 » by stitches » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:49 pm

KqWIN wrote:
sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

25% of the cap is still way too much for Hood. This won't be a situation where you give him the max because the cap will continue to rise. Also, BKN has less than $10 M guaranteed on the books for that summer. I have a hard time believing that they can add ~$80 M in salary next summer. They will have room, and they will max out Hood given the opportunity.

That's very possible. It will be interesting to see who else of that draft class doesn't get an extension. They are still limited by the cap about how many players they can offer big money to. Also... they will try to give money to players this year, too. Lets see if they get somebody.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#264 » by KqWIN » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:49 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

If Hood is worth a max and we are worried Brooklyn will max him we trade him for awesome assets before he hits the market, or we match and then trade him. It' s a non issue. Let's hope he is worth a max as it's a good problem to have.

Hood does not need close to be worth the max in order to get a max from BKN. He could not improve at all and still get a max because BKN can't find people to take their money.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#265 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Hood becoming good is a non issue. Having players worth max contracts is a non issue. We want ALL of the Jazz players to get that good. It's like saying women are lining up to sleep with you is a problem. Eh, not really. Just pick and choose and move on.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#266 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:52 pm

Not to mention if every player we draft becomes a max player the Jazz will be sitting pretty because apparently DL is a draft god.
stitches
RealGM

Post#267 » by stitches » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:53 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:Hood becoming good is a non issue. Having players worth max contracts is a non issue. We want ALL of the Jazz players to get that good. It's like saying women are lining up to sleep with you is a problem. Eh, not really. Just pick and choose and move on.

I think his point is that he will get a max without being worth it.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#268 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:55 pm

stitches wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:Hood becoming good is a non issue. Having players worth max contracts is a non issue. We want ALL of the Jazz players to get that good. It's like saying women are lining up to sleep with you is a problem. Eh, not really. Just pick and choose and move on.

If Brookyn will max him he is good enough to be traded after we match. Even if all that comes back is something like an expiring and a 2nd, he will be movable. Non issue.
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#269 » by KqWIN » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:

If Brookyn will max him he is good enough to be traded after we match. Even if all that comes back is something like an expiring and a 2nd, he will be movable. Non issue.

Do you think Allen Crabbe is tradable? It's possible that the only team in the entire league willing to pay Hood a max is BKN, who he can't be traded to. Either way, if you move him for a second you just lost Rodney Hood for nothing.
stitches
RealGM

Post#270 » by stitches » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:58 pm

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/245071/Deron-Williams-Could-Agree-To-Buyout-With-Mavs

Deron Williams Could Agree To Buyout With Mavs

Feb 23, 2017 3:13 PM

Deron Williams could agree upon a buyout with the Dallas Mavericks.

Williams was linked with a return to the Utah Jazz at the deadline. The Cleveland Cavaliers could have interest in Williams if he's waived.

The Mavericks would like to give Yogi Ferrell an extended look as their starting point guard.

According to Shams Charania, Williams will consider the Jazz, Cavaliers and Hawks if he's bought out.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#271 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:59 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:I think his point is that he will get a max without being worth it.

Do you think Allen Crabbe is tradable? It's possible that the only team in the entire league willing to pay Hood a max is BKN, who he can't be traded to. Either way, if you move him for a second you just lost Rodney Hood for nothing.

I know what you are getting at. But I disagree it's an issue. In 2 years we can revisit the debate. But I don't make a move or get panicked right now about a possible hypothetical situation where our players are good enough for max contracts.
stitches
RealGM

Post#272 » by stitches » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:00 pm

Read on Twitter
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#273 » by KqWIN » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Daddy 801 wrote:
KqWIN wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:

I know what you are getting at. But I disagree it's an issue. In 2 years we can revisit the debate. But I don't make a move or get panicked right now about a possible hypothetical situation where our players are good enough for max contracts.

I think it is an issue. If Hood doesn't sign an extension, you will be faced with paying him a max which he probably won't deserve or losing him for nothing. The situation you're worried about is if he's not a max player and still gets one, which is highly likely imo.
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#274 » by sipclip » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:04 pm

KqWIN wrote:
sipclip wrote:
KqWIN wrote:

We will have to wait and see but I think the nets will be looking to fill the front court more so than the backcourt with that money. They have 2 young wings in RHJ and Levert that I know they really like as well as Sean Kilpatrick. Then this offseason I think they do what they did last year and go after some of these wings on the market like Tim Hardaway Jr., Kentavious Caldwell Pope, Tyreke Evans, Andre Roberson, Jonathan Simmons and Shabazz Mohammed. I think they end up attempting to spend big on wings once again this summer. Possibly even go back to the blazers and see if they want to get out of Allen Crabbe's contract.
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#275 » by DelaneyRudd » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:06 pm

I'm fine with no deals. It's hard for me to be disappointed when I understand I'll never hear what DL asked for or what he said no to.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
sipclip
Head Coach
And1: 1,240

Post#276 » by sipclip » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:07 pm

KqWIN wrote:
Daddy 801 wrote:
stitches wrote:I think his point is that he will get a max without being worth it.

I think if Crabbe were starting at sg he would look really tradeable. His issue is that he isn't a sf and the sg that they have plays heavy minutes.
uber_snotling
Junior
And1: 188

Post#277 » by uber_snotling » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:21 pm

Wasn't expecting much, but I did think that DL would do something with the salary floor space. With so little time left in the year, it is unlikely he can use it to R&E Favors or Hill, so it seems like a wasted opportunity.
stitches
RealGM

Post#278 » by stitches » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:28 pm

uber_snotling wrote:Wasn't expecting much, but I did think that DL would do something with the salary floor space. With so little time left in the year, it is unlikely he can use it to R&E Favors or Hill, so it seems like a wasted opportunity.

It would be a disaster if he can't do anything with that capspace.

We gave up 2 second round picks and 3M in cash to Philly so we can get rid off Pleiss 3M salary in preparation for renegotiating and extending Hill or Favors and now if we can't do that or even get somebody from the buy-out market it would be wasted resources and wasted opportunity that would hurt this team for years to come.
Daddy 801
General Manager

Post#279 » by Daddy 801 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:01 pm

Terrence Jones is going to be available. So is DWill. Drop Withey and Mack and grab those guys..?
KqWIN
RealGM

Post#280 » by KqWIN » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:02 pm

I didn't think much of the Pleiss trade at the time, but paying 2 second round picks and 3 M in cash to dump salary while you're under the floor is....

Dennis Lindsey will look like a dumbass if he can't get an extension done.

Return to Utah Jazz