I took a deep dive into the future of the Jazz's roster and personnel. I may have gone a little overboard (6,000+ w

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

vonteego
Ballboy
And1: 3

I took a deep dive into the future of the Jazz's roster and personnel. I may have gone a little overboard (6,000+ w 

Post#1 » by vonteego » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:29 pm

I'm not sure why I felt compelled to write so much about the Jazz considering I'm a Warriors fan, but I thought you guys might enjoy this:

http://www.icecreamformen.com/articles/how-utah-got-its-groove-back-the-15-step-plan
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Re: I took a deep dive into the future of the Jazz's roster and personnel. I may have gone a little overboard (6,000+ w 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:33 pm

6,000+ words and nothing about the Jazz's W-L record when wearing sleeved jerseys? For shame. :wink:

Looks like you put a lot of effort into it. Will read.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Winglish
Analyst
And1: 1,302

Re: I took a deep dive into the future of the Jazz's roster and personnel. I may have gone a little overboard (6,000+ w 

Post#3 » by Winglish » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:15 pm

vonteego wrote:I'm not sure why I felt compelled to write so much about the Jazz considering I'm a Warriors fan, but I thought you guys might enjoy this:

http://www.icecreamformen.com/articles/how-utah-got-its-groove-back-the-15-step-plan

I absolutely love what you wrote about being happy with a team that is consistently good, even if the team is not a true title contender. I really, really love the game of basketball. I am passionate about basketball. Even though my coaching career never went beyond the high school level, teaching and coaching sports is a huge part of who I am. I want the Jazz to be good. I want to watch victories. I can enjoy the season game by game, one game at a time, as long as the games are competitive. I HATED when the Jazz were losing!

Thank you for the nice article. I thoroughly enjoyed it! I disagree with some of the plan but I am thankful that people are taking interest in the Jazz!
stra0448
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#4 » by stra0448 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:49 pm

I stopped reading after "Trade Derick Favors"
then I stopped again after "Start Donovan Mitchell"
then I really stopped after "Let Rubio Walk"
Pass_the_rock
Bench Warmer
And1: 881

Post#5 » by Pass_the_rock » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:50 am

That's it? That's the team you want the Jazz to build? Your plan sucks and I want 5 minutes of my life back.
MTJazzv3
Veteran
And1: 1,386

Post#6 » by MTJazzv3 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:02 am

Well, that was an impressive book! Not hating on your 15-step plan but there are more than a few leaps of faith in there. As a Jazz fan I have a hard time believing both AB and Ex light up. Plus, if Rubio is what he is gonna be, the Jazz aren't going to move on from him at age 28. And...your wins in the first 2 years are way off mark. You have now joined the "not-believers" club. No way the Jazz are going to be "patient" enough to be a lottery team for the next 2 years. Just culturally not going to happen - the Jazz did way too much lottery time already in the near-past and the fan base does not have patience for another multi year re-build and neither does the FO or Gobert.
"And the cowhide globe hits home." - RIP Hot Rod Hundley
vonteego
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#7 » by vonteego » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:52 am

@Inigo - You're right, should've just saved myself 5,900 words and written plan = wear sleeved jerseys every game. Next time!

@Winglish - Thanks for checking it out and totally feel you on how much better it is to watch a winner. The Warriors are that much more enjoyable after having gone through the Chris Cohan era, it's rough rooting for a terrible team. I'll be rooting for you guys

@Sta - fair enough, agree to disagree. What would you do?

@Pass - Haha sorry brah

@MTJazz - Yeah I didn't want to put ever more text in there but I see Exum having the potential to be like Jrue Holiday eventually but I could totally see him being nada too. AB may be cooked too. Hope not, but he's had a rough few years. I don't think you guys will be bad by any means, I think the West is just so strong that it'll be really tough to make the playoffs again next year or the year after. I guess that makes me an optimistic non-believer? Thanks for checking it out.
Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,075

Post#8 » by Rauxcee » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 am

Nice write up, thanks for taking the time.

There's a few things I disagree with. Mostly dumping Hood for Burks, and the Jazz helping to make the Nuggets and Thunder (both of who are in their division) better. Not necessarily opposed to moving them, just not to those teams for those players.
CAE15
Assistant Coach
And1: 699

Post#9 » by CAE15 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:03 am

Terrible returs on Both Hood and Favors. Favors for Arthur and another backup point guard? Nah we'll pass. Rather sign Favors for a decent contact(if this year is any indication on what bigs will get paid) plus Favors locked up on a fair contract is going to provide more value for us than the trade presented.

I don't understand giving up on Hood and dumping him for a rookie. Hood has shown at times elite Isolation numbers and as the roster is currently constructed is easily our best scoring option. And then dump him for another project? Nah.

Then one of the projects we do develop in Tony Bradley. You want to ship him off for another wing. It's impossible to know how either of those 2 players will develop and what their value will do. But rule of thumb you don't trade a big for a little.

I'm as high on Burks as anyone but banking on him while sending out other guys I don't get. I have no issue with Alec having that contract and being a 6th man for years to come for us.

And fwiw I would be pretty surprised if Udoh plays less than Bradley at least in this next coming year. Jazz are looking at teams like the Warriors and Rockets. They know they aren't going to outshoot them. But if they can defend them better than anyone else. It gives them a chance. Letting Rubio walk for nothing would be foolish also, at the very least trade him at the deadline if Exum is ready to start. Though trying to keep them both would be ideal. It depends on how Rubio does in a system that will probably be heavily based on Rubio getting guys open looks.

And no I don't think the Jazz are going to be content with just being a good team. Jazz will try and build a championship team around Gobert. We're going to see what we have in Favors(healthy), Hood, Exum, Mitchell, Burks(healthy) this year and adjust from there. Appreciate the write up but I don't like us building up our Northwest competition.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
pickIBL
Head Coach
And1: 951

Post#10 » by pickIBL » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:45 pm

It is clear the jazz are going to see what they have this fall. Then they'll make decisions and form a path forward from there. I do agree that it would be great to see X and spida play well.
I like my prospects the same way I like my women... foreign- pickIBL
stra0448
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#11 » by stra0448 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:26 pm

Ricky is great at getting easy looks for big guys, and Favors and Gobert are better finishers than Rubio has ever played with.

Exum has had a slow start to his career because he got injured, and because he played behind Hayward.

Rubio
Exum
Ingles
Favors
Gobert

They should be able to put incredible pressure on other teams with defense and attacking the basket. If they can hit FTs they'll be as good as anybody.

Return to Utah Jazz