Utaz Jazz acquire Lauri Markkanen from Cleveland Cavaliers

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Taikuri
Pro Prospect
And1: 307

Re: Utaz Jazz acquire Lauri Markkanen from Cleveland Cavaliers 

Post#241 » by Taikuri » Sat Aug 5, 2023 3:11 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Taikuri wrote:Finland beat Lithuania 81-79 in a friendly game in a World Cup prep game. A lot of Lauri featured in these highlights. He scored 24 points and got 7 rebounds in 32 minutes that he played. The game ended just some hours ago, so you'll see the latest of Lauri.

Here's the video:

Was there any streams to watch it live? Is there a schedule of Finland's games out there?

I watched it from the Finnish TV, channel four. The schedule for the 3 remaining games before the World Cup starts:

9th of August - Finland (home team) - Estonia (away) - Finnish time: 18:30 game (studio 18:20) - 11:30 ET (New York time)
14th of August - Lithuania (home team) - Finland (away) - 19:30 game (studio 19:20) - 12:30 ET (New York time)
16th of August - Latvia (home team) - Finland (away) - 19:30 game (studio 19:20) - 12:30 ET (New York time)

Good to note that many suspect that Lauri will not play in the Estonia game as it's not as high level team compared to Lithuania and Latvia, but maybe he does. Never know.

Lithuania & Latvia games also come from the Finnish TV4 channel if you some how can find a stream for that channel. I don't know if such exist. Estonia game comes from another channel.

Finland's World Cup games:

25th of August - Finland - Australia
27th of August - Japan (host country) – Finland
29th of August - Germany – Finland

Finland pretty much has to beat Germany or Australia to advance from the group. Very tough task, but I think possible. Maybe on Germany's expense.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,554

Post#242 » by PaKii94 » Sat Aug 5, 2023 3:31 am

Taikuri wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Taikuri wrote:Finland beat Lithuania 81-79 in a friendly game in a World Cup prep game. A lot of Lauri featured in these highlights. He scored 24 points and got 7 rebounds in 32 minutes that he played. The game ended just some hours ago, so you'll see the latest of Lauri.

Here's the video:

Was there any streams to watch it live? Is there a schedule of Finland's games out there?

I watched it from the Finnish TV, channel four. The schedule for the 3 remaining games before the World Cup starts:

9th of August - Finland (home team) - Estonia (away) - Finnish time: 18:30 game (studio 18:20) - 11:30 ET (New York time)
14th of August - Lithuania (home team) - Finland (away) - 19:30 game (studio 19:20) - 12:30 ET (New York time)
16th of August - Latvia (home team) - Finland (away) - 19:30 game (studio 19:20) - 12:30 ET (New York time)

Good to note that many suspect that Lauri will not play in the Estonia game as it's not as high level team compared to Lithuania and Latvia, but maybe he does. Never know.

Lithuania & Latvia games also come from the Finnish TV4 channel if you some how can find a stream for that channel. I don't know if such exist. Estonia game comes from another channel.

Finland's World Cup games:

25th of August - Finland - Australia
27th of August - Japan (host country) – Finland
29th of August - Germany – Finland

Finland pretty much has to beat Germany or Australia to advance from the group. Very tough task, but I think possible. Maybe on Germany's expense.

Thanks for the info.

Looking at the highlights Lauri looks tighter with his movement/more agile. The military training has been helping him :lol:
Taikuri
Pro Prospect

Post#243 » by Taikuri » Sat Aug 5, 2023 3:44 am

PaKii94 wrote:Thanks for the info.

Looking at the highlights Lauri looks tighter with his movement/more agile. The military training has been helping him :lol:

You're welcome. It felt like the teammates couldn't find him that well yet, as it was the first game and some new guys are in the team. Lauri kinda also said so after the game in an interview that it will take few games before things start clicking with the team and with him.

He was on a 40 point pace in the first half (I want to remind that FIBA has 4 x 10 min quarters) and it felt like he took his foot off the gass pedal or so later in the game since it was just a practice game. He played well, but he can do better if he wants to.

You know what's very fun about the current team Finland. Lauri can be put to so many positions now because Finland has more bigger/taller players who have some skill compared to other years. It was funny to watch Lauri not having to be there rebounding after Lithuania's free throws. At that point he was more of a backcourt guy and we'll see a lot more position switching with him in the upcoming games. Finland also has one of Utah Jazz' assistant coaches, Sean Sheldon as an assistant coach for team Finland now. He's actually an official member of team Finland's coaching staff now until the World Cup is over. Then he goes back to Utah Jazz.
Taikuri
Pro Prospect

Post#244 » by Taikuri » Sat Aug 5, 2023 9:46 am

I'm wondering if this link works outside Finland? Otherwise it might require Finnish IP address or VPN via Finland. It's 13 minutes and 1080p video quality highlights of that game by the official broadcasting channel of that game (Nelonen/Channel 4's official media site). It has few video commercials before the video launches. Login to that site is probably not required. It's free as well.

https://www.ruutu.fi/video/4385256
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,687

Post#245 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Aug 5, 2023 11:11 pm

Link works fine. Thanks!
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#246 » by PaKii94 » Sun Aug 6, 2023 2:32 am

Taikuri wrote:I'm wondering if this link works outside Finland? Otherwise it might require Finnish IP address or VPN via Finland. It's 13 minutes and 1080p video quality highlights of that game by the official broadcasting channel of that game (Nelonen/Channel 4's official media site). It has few video commercials before the video launches. Login to that site is probably not required. It's free as well.

Thanks for the link. Is it possible to watch the live games on that website?
Taikuri
Pro Prospect

Post#247 » by Taikuri » Mon Aug 7, 2023 4:42 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Taikuri wrote:I'm wondering if this link works outside Finland? Otherwise it might require Finnish IP address or VPN via Finland. It's 13 minutes and 1080p video quality highlights of that game by the official broadcasting channel of that game (Nelonen/Channel 4's official media site). It has few video commercials before the video launches. Login to that site is probably not required. It's free as well.

Yes I'm quite sure it's possible. I'm pretty sure that they will have that game live on that site. Probably requires a login. They want fee for some stuff, but this game will come from free TV and they don't ask fees for stuff like that on their site, so hopefully it works outside of Finland or that you can find a Finnish VPN for it.

Actually this is the link for the Estonia game (I'm not sure that Markkanen plays in that one).

Estonia - LIVE:
https://www.ruutu.fi/stream/4378592

Lithuania (the rematch) - LIVE:
https://www.ruutu.fi/stream/4379822

Latvia - LIVE:
https://www.ruutu.fi/stream/4381265

Going to those links now, it's asking for a login. It's saying there that one week for free, but I think that the link may change once it's live and it probably just requires a login. I don't think any credit card info needs to or should be entered. So just logging in might be enough.

I'm just going to watch them live from the Finnish TV with 4k quality, so I won't be testing those, but I have watched full games in the past from that site without paying, so I'm 90% sure it works.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#248 » by PaKii94 » Mon Aug 7, 2023 7:10 pm

Taikuri wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Yes I'm quite sure it's possible. I'm pretty sure that they will have that game live on that site. Probably requires a login. They want fee for some stuff, but this game will come from free TV and they don't ask fees for stuff like that on their site, so hopefully it works outside of Finland or that you can find a Finnish VPN for it.

Actually this is the link for the Estonia game (I'm not sure that Markkanen plays in that one).

Estonia - LIVE:

Latvia - LIVE:

Going to those links now, it's asking for a login. It's saying there that one week for free, but I think that the link may change once it's live and it probably just requires a login. I don't think any credit card info needs to or should be entered. So just logging in might be enough.

I'm just going to watch them live from the Finnish TV with 4k quality, so I won't be testing those, but I have watched full games in the past from that site without paying, so I'm 90% sure it works.

Looks like subscription is required. I'll do the free trial for the next 3 games. If Finland is looking good I can get a month subscription :D
Taikuri
Pro Prospect

Post#249 » by Taikuri » Tue Aug 8, 2023 10:22 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Taikuri wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Estonia - LIVE:

Latvia - LIVE:

Looks like subscription is required. I'll do the free trial for the next 3 games. If Finland is looking good I can get a month subscription :D

So they do accept IP addresses coming outside of Finland then? That's interesting. I wasn't sure that they would. I usually wouldn't pay for anything like that, but the free trial is pretty fair I guess. Just can't forget canceling the subscription or they start taking payments.

The actual World Cup games of Finland are indeed on this same channel and their media site, which is Ruutu.fi.

Those are the times and dates. Reduce 7 hours and you get ET/Eastern/New York time zone.

25.8. time - 10:30 (3:30 ET) Finland–Australia
27.8. time - 14:40 (7:40 ET) Japan–Finland
29.8. time - 10:00 (3:00 ET) Germany–Finland

So those are pretty late times if you are from USA, but this site most likely saves the recordings so you can watch them later. With the free subscription trial it should be good and worth it. One thing to take into consideration is lag. Does this site work well outside of Finland? One solution is to download the streams of Ruutu.fi's recordings. There are all kinds of softwares out there for DL'ing stuff. For example I download pretty much everything that I watch from Youtube, rather than watching them straight from Youtube, because I don't want to deal with any choppiness or lag when skipping some seconds forwards if you know what I mean. There should be some Chrome or Firefox extensions for that.

I believe after that if Finland doesn't make it out of the group (top-2 in group is required to make it), aka not beating of Australia or Germany there will be more games regardless, which means more of Lauri as well to determine the final placement standings and these would actually be important games as well, because if Finland does well there, Finland will play next summer in the Olympic qualification tournament and each win should mean some more FIBA World Ranking points, which helps in the World Ranking and that helps with more favorable group drawings in the future. If I remember right Czech Republic played in the previous Olympics, so why not Finland as well. Finland has a better team than Czechs had back then. So every game in the World Cup is very meaningful and serious business, regarless if the team is in the actual playoffs or not.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#250 » by PaKii94 » Wed Aug 9, 2023 9:55 pm

PaKii94 wrote:
Taikuri wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:

Estonia - LIVE:

Latvia - LIVE:

I signed up for the Finland channel trial. It took my card but it wouldn't let me watch. It said I need to be in Europe :( . Luckily i found a different stream but that's annoying.
Taikuri
Pro Prospect

Post#251 » by Taikuri » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:38 am

PaKii94 wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Taikuri wrote:

Estonia - LIVE:

Latvia - LIVE:

I signed up for the Finland channel trial. It took my card but it wouldn't let me watch. It said I need to be in Europe :( . Luckily i found a different stream but that's annoying.

Have you tried any VPN stuff? I'm not an expert on VPN either, but what I have done sometimes is I've simply downloaded Opera browser (I don't use that browser for anything else than VPN related stuff). It has a built in VPN in it and it's quite easy to use. However I don't know how to make it select a specific country. For me it chose a country randomly from a specific region. So I chose a region and I could get Norway's VPN, which is quite similar country to Finland in some ways, so I think Finland is possible to find as well, if you get lucky. The videos of the games are saved on that site (Ruutu.fi) so, you can try that later. It might be quite easy to do even, just have to find the right browser, software or browser extension/addon for it.

The game itself yesterday vs Estonia. Lauri Markkanen played in it and he played proper minutes. 29 points and 13 rebounds and in both of these games so far, Finnish commentators and the fans think he did these with half-assed effort. So that's kind of good. Maybe you saw this already:

Something funny about that game. All of the Finnish point guards except the 4th point guard didn't play or were injured. So sometimes Finland put Lauri playing point guard. The lack of point guards certainly made the game closer than it should've been.

I got a feeling that Lauri will score 35-40 points (FIBA has 4x10 min quarters) in multiple games in the World Cup and he might even be the best individual of the entire tournament at the end (he kind of was that in the Eurobasket). However he won't get any awards for that, unless Finland surprises and advances very deep in the tournament.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#252 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 1:49 pm

Taikuri wrote:Something funny about that game. All of the Finnish point guards except the 4th point guard didn't play or were injured. So sometimes Finland put Lauri playing point guard. The lack of point guards certainly made the game closer than it should've been.

I got a feeling that Lauri will score 35-40 points (FIBA has 4x10 min quarters) in multiple games in the World Cup and he might even be the best individual of the entire tournament at the end (he kind of was that in the Eurobasket). However he won't get any awards for that, unless Finland surprises and advances very deep in the tournament.

I haven't heard anyone giving Finland a chance for a medal, but I will be rooting for them to get one. You believe the Finnish team is better than last summer, correct? I am probably overlooking players, but I can't think of a bigger headliner name than Markkanen besides Doncic. The USA team has a lot of potential tournament stars, but USA might shift the scoring to different players from game to game.

Every team will be ready for Lauri, but in the Lithuania game highlights, he looked unstoppable at the three point line. Lauri wasn't simply relying on others passing him the ball when he was open to take a shot; he was getting the ball while covered, and then creating just enough space to shoot over the top to hit contested threes.
Taikuri
Pro Prospect

Post#253 » by Taikuri » Thu Aug 17, 2023 11:10 am

Crunch 99 wrote:
Taikuri wrote:Something funny about that game. All of the Finnish point guards except the 4th point guard didn't play or were injured. So sometimes Finland put Lauri playing point guard. The lack of point guards certainly made the game closer than it should've been.

I haven't heard anyone giving Finland a chance for a medal, but I will be rooting for them to get one. You believe the Finnish team is better than last summer, correct? I am probably overlooking players, but I can't think of a bigger headliner name than Markkanen besides Doncic. The USA team has a lot of potential tournament stars, but USA might shift the scoring to different players from game to game.

Every team will be ready for Lauri, but in the Lithuania game highlights, he looked unstoppable at the three point line. Lauri wasn't simply relying on others passing him the ball when he was open to take a shot; he was getting the ball while covered, and then creating just enough space to shoot over the top to hit contested threes.

In my opinion it's the best roster Finland has ever had, but I'm not dreaming about a medal now because there are some problems. Finland had only 4 practice games, which is a very small amount compared to many other teams. For example Lithuania played/plays over 10 games. Finland didn't have a full roster in any of these practice games due to injuries. The biggest problem is the point guard position. Each of the 3 main point guards have had injuries or recovery from a surgery during these 4 practice matches.

My expectation currently is that Finland will not make it out of this group. This group is the second hardest group of the tournament, hardest being the one that has Latvia, Canada and France. However anything can happen and Finland had some poor practice games before last summer's Eurobasket as well and it lead to a historic result, where Finland was top-8 in Eurobasket and Finland wasn't that far from beating Spain in the playoffs. Spain became the European champion in that tournament. Back then Finland was leading them by 15 points in that game, but team Finland managed to blow that lead.

So Finland has to upset Australia, which is a top-3 country in the World according to FIBA ranking or Germany, which is actually the group favorite, even over Australia. Then the 3rd team isn't easy either, Japan, which is a host country so they are backed up by a fanatic crowd and I believe that they have few NBA players as well. At least one NBA guy. I expect Finland to beat Japan though, but in order to make top-2, have to beat Australia or Germany. Australia didn't impress in the last practice match where they lost to Brazil, I think yesterday, so there's that. Anything can happen, so we'll just have to watch the games.

There's more stuff on the line as well. The tournament continues even after being eliminated from the playoffs and winning games after that can mean making it into Olympic qualification tournament.

To me in FIBA games and rules, Lauri is a Doncic level player. In NBA Doncic is ahead of him. Lauri might indeed be the best player of that World Cup. He was an absolute beast in the last Eurobasket. He didn't get enough credit for what he did there.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#254 » by BigJimFinn » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:31 am

Lauri has now completed the Finnish military service. He was awarded enough "athletic service credits" to fulfill the minimum days served, so he won't need to continue next summer, as was originally thought.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#255 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 12:53 pm

Every NBA Team's Biggest Question Ahead of Media Day
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090407-every-nba-teams-biggest-question-ahead-of-media-day

Snip: Utah Jazz: Does Lauri Markkanen Have Another Level?

The question is whether he can pass the age-old "best player on a title contender" test. With the lack of playmaking currently in his arsenal (he's more of a finisher than creator), the natural answer to the above might just be "no." But he's still just 26. There's time for him to improve as a ball-handler, passer and defender.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 982

Post#256 » by red4hf » Mon Oct 2, 2023 6:39 pm

When is Lauri eligible to sign an extension?
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#257 » by PaKii94 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:01 am

Lauri looks quicker and more decisive with his moves. Once his 3s start falling he should be unstoppable
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#258 » by BigJimFinn » Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:39 pm

Had to dig up this old thread:
Lauri has just won the Athlete of the Year award in Finland.
Obviously the first b-baller to ever win it.

Return to Utah Jazz