2023 Trade Rumors

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Charlesareed
Sixth Man
And1: 749

Re: 2023 Trade Rumors 

Post#401 » by Charlesareed » Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:17 am

Hey bulls fan here what’s the deal with Tyler Hendricks?
Chicago Raised me
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,469

Post#402 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:55 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I'm not surprised. We have so many players that need to go and I don't know if there will be takers. Who will want Collins and Sexton? I hope a team would ship out seconds for them but I'm not sure it is out there. No one will want THT. Olynyk and Clarkson should at least return some seconds, but all of these guys need to go. I wouldn't be surprised if we use one of our future firsts to get off of some of this bad salary, though I would rather we just released some players and took the cap hit if it came to that.

I highly doubt we'd have to give away picks in order to move our players. All of the players mentioned in the article have value, and that includes THT--if not for his play and potential then for his expiring contract. I'm also not surprised Collins is on the trade block since trading for him was done with the intention to reclaim his value and flip him for assets or include him in a large trade from the start. While there may be some frustration with him (from the article): "The 26-year-old has the lowest on-court/off-court splits of any rotation player on the team, and the team has been frustrated with his slow uptake on learning the Jazz’s system on both ends of the floor. Collins has been a solid shooter and rebounder this season, but hasn’t contributed as much elsewhere," this is not unexpected and not the reason he's on the trading block. It's simply that Ainge is willing to trade pretty much anyone for the right deal and that Collins was an asset flip move from the start. And there is also the possibility of wanting to give Hendricks more minutes. To me, this article is much ado about nothing. There is nothing new there, we already knew the Jazz would be willing to trade almost everyone on the roster.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#403 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:59 pm

Charlesareed wrote:Hey bulls fan here what’s the deal with Tyler Hendricks?

You'd have to me more specific but in general, he was picked #9, has the profile of an excellent defender who can shoot it from 3, and was relegated to the d-league to start the season due to the Jazz having too many established players in his position (Markkanen, Collins, Olynyk, Fontecchio).

From the article:
"Fellow rookie Taylor Hendricks is also considered a keeper. While he’s spent most of his season in the G-League, the Jazz have loved his workman-like attitude and his visible improvement. The Jazz turned down an otherwise promising trade opportunity this summer with regards to Hendricks because they believe in his potential to a high degree, according to a Jazz source who wasn’t permitted to speak publicly on the matter. "

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/jazz/2023/12/14/friday-marks-unofficial-beginning/

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#404 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:14 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:The worst thing the Jazz can do is rushing things instead of letting things unfold. They should build around Markkanen but this season was a throwaway season from the jump. No one thought this team will be more than a play-in team at best. We'll see who will become available, the Jazz are in no position to choose. If one becomes available, you go for it (I wouldn't include Herro in that group though).

I agree with this, LM is a nice piece to build around. One thing to learn from the Nuggets is the chemistry built from avoiding continued trading of pieces, especially to a smaller market team, can become one of its biggest assets. Granted, Ainge has started building a nice treasure chest of draft picks, but you still have to draft well to maximize this. Still, when opportunity knocks....

The Nuggets built mainly through the draft and Jokic is the "old man" at 28. Murray is the same age as Markkanen and Porter Jr is younger than Markkanen. Utah doesn't have the time to build around Markkanen. Are you really going to add enough next off-season to keep Markkanen when he hits FA? Markkanen will be 30 before Utah has a chance to draft enough high quality players to build a quality playoff team around him and then you are dealing with his decline. You have the same problem as other small market teams when it comes to signing a star player. It is almost impossible for you. They traded Mitchell when he was younger than Markannen is today.

I see a player like Markkanen as the missing piece for OKC. As a Thunder fan I'd be happy to give up Giddey and Dort along with a few picks for Markkanen and Olynyk. A package along the lines of OKC's best 2024 pick, which will be the best pick between Houston, LAC and OKC. Philly's 2025 pick and Denver's 2026 pick in addition to returning Utah's pick that OKC has, but is decently protected. Giddey would give Utah it's first building block. Dort is a solid role player and at 24 you'd have the option of keeping him as a future piece or trading him for more assets. Three first round picks, in addition to removing all the protections on Utah's own pick for the next several years would be a solid return.

Markkanen is a top 40 player, arguably top 30. Giddey is in the 50-60 range with room to grow at only 21. I only think giving up that much value for Markkanen makes sense for OKC because they have a lot of guards and wings with a massive hole when it comes to big men after Chet. They also have enough picks that they can make an offer like that an it doesn't deplete them going forward. Moving Markkanen and Olynyk in gives OKC the roster balance they need and solves their rebounding and size problem. I'd be interested in hearing what Utah fans think of an offer like that.

I love Giddey but not sure how he's fit in now Rudy and DMitch is gone? would've been great before we started the rebuild. Now with Keyonte not sure how well Giddey fits. I'm not sure LM is our future or Hendricks takes that position over soon who'm I'm really starting to like. Both LM and Kelly would put OKC is a very strong place to maybe winning the west so trading a few picks away isn't a huge lose for them. I'v also cooled off on Dort but a solid player and is a hair older than Giddy. I find it interest with right picks coming to Utah. Would be a step back with two steps going forward.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#405 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:17 pm

Charlesareed wrote:Hey bulls fan here what’s the deal with Tyler Hendricks?

Kid is going to be a stud without question. Had he waited a year to be drafted he's number 1 pick.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 455

Post#407 » by bkohler » Sat Dec 16, 2023 4:12 am

Jiipee84 wrote:https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/lauri-markkanen-jazz-trade-rumor-not-untouchable?fbclid=IwAR3blwAjTMVO6uch-JhAfYzCe0tPOKxx9ZqDHbhaw0_pRXV3CtF5234kKr4

Feels a lot like the Mitchell trade to be honest. First he’s untouchable, then could be had for the right amount, then a massive haul.

I don’t think they move him, but I also think this is exactly how Danny starts bidding wars.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#408 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 16, 2023 2:03 pm

I think the whole Markkanen thing is overblown. All it took is a rumor that opposing executives are having the sense that he's not untouchable and now it's all over the news that the Jazz are looking to trade him and everyone wants Markkanen. I'll be shocked if he's traded, I just can't see it. It feels like a sliver of a rumor gets misinterpreted and everyone is running with it as if it's happening. Hopefully I'm not wrong about this.

bkohler
Rookie

Post#409 » by bkohler » Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:48 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I think the whole Markkanen thing is overblown. All it took is a rumor that opposing executives are having the sense that he's not untouchable and now it's all over the news that the Jazz are looking to trade him and everyone wants Markkanen. I'll be shocked if he's traded, I just can't see it. It feels like a sliver of a rumor gets misinterpreted and everyone is running with it as if it's happening. Hopefully I'm not wrong about this.

I’d really prefer to keep him, but I also don’t quite understand the assumption that he’ll resign without any issue either. I don’t know why we fretted about losing Mitchell but we’re not about losing Lauri. If we have any sense that he might walk at the end of next year we should do exactly what it seems is possibly happening right now, start a bidding war.

If I were trading Lauri I’d prioritize picks in years that we don’t have a bunch currently, and I’d be looking for something of a cornerstone moving forward - ideally a wing.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#410 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:12 pm

bkohler wrote:I’d really prefer to keep him, but I also don’t quite understand the assumption that he’ll resign without any issue either. I don’t know why we fretted about losing Mitchell but we’re not about losing Lauri. If we have any sense that he might walk at the end of next year we should do exactly what it seems is possibly happening right now, start a bidding war.

If I were trading Lauri I’d prioritize picks in years that we don’t have a bunch currently, and I’d be looking for something of a cornerstone moving forward - ideally a wing.

I think the situations and circumstances between Mitchell and Markkanen are very different. The sense was the Mitchell always wanted to go to a big market--most likely NY where he grew up, while Markkanen as a Euro doesn't have such ties and probably cares less about being in a big market.

Mitchell was essentially a star form the start, while Markkanen bounced between 2 teams where he was a role player before landing on the Jazz and becoming a star, in no small part due to the system, the coach and circumstances that allowed him to prosper. He may not get the same conditions elsewhere, especially on a better team. I think he'd be quite happy to sign where he's finally appreciated and in a situation where he can reach his potential.

Mitchell received the max after his rookie deal, while Markkanen is currently underpaid relative to his contribution due to the fact that he was a role player when he signed the current deal. The Jazz could offer him more money than anyone else and it could definitely play a factor in him re-signing.

I don't think there was that much fretting about trading Mitchell, I think most fans understood it was time to move on and the return the Jazz got in that trade was very good.

So far, the only speculations are that the Jazz are willing to listen to offers for Markkanen, and even those are accompanied by the stipulation that the Jazz are very unlikely to trade him. There is no information that: 1. the Jazz are looking to trade Markkanen and 2. that Markkanen indicated he might not re-sign or that he wants to leave. Obviously, if he said he'd like to move on then the Jazz should trade him but I haven't seen any indication that this is the case. It's just a bunch of speculations borne of a report that has no real information to support that.

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#411 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:27 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I'm not surprised. We have so many players that need to go and I don't know if there will be takers. Who will want Collins and Sexton? I hope a team would ship out seconds for them but I'm not sure it is out there. No one will want THT. Olynyk and Clarkson should at least return some seconds, but all of these guys need to go. I wouldn't be surprised if we use one of our future firsts to get off of some of this bad salary, though I would rather we just released some players and took the cap hit if it came to that.

I highly doubt we'd have to give away picks in order to move our players. All of the players mentioned in the article have value, and that includes THT--if not for his play and potential then for his expiring contract. I'm also not surprised Collins is on the trade block since trading for him was done with the intention to reclaim his value and flip him for assets or include him in a large trade from the start. While there may be some frustration with him (from the article): "The 26-year-old has the lowest on-court/off-court splits of any rotation player on the team, and the team has been frustrated with his slow uptake on learning the Jazz’s system on both ends of the floor. Collins has been a solid shooter and rebounder this season, but hasn’t contributed as much elsewhere," this is not unexpected and not the reason he's on the trading block. It's simply that Ainge is willing to trade pretty much anyone for the right deal and that Collins was an asset flip move from the start. And there is also the possibility of wanting to give Hendricks more minutes. To me, this article is much ado about nothing. There is nothing new there, we already knew the Jazz would be willing to trade almost everyone on the roster.

An expiring contract doesn't mean THT has value. To have value teams would need to believe that a player is worth their contract. In a sense, would another team pay THT what he is being paid? I don't think there is a single team that would. So it comes down to teams being willing to add incentive to worse bad money to get the pain over with soon. I'm 100% on board with eating bad money for any incentive we can get. e.g. if OKC wants to give us two seconds to turn THT into Bertans, or LAC wants to give us 2nds to turn him into PJ Tucker - sure!

I don't see the value in most of these guys unless we are taking back bad money. Sexton is overpaid, Collins is overpaid, THT is overpaid. I think Clarkson and Olynyk have some value, not a ton, but enough that trading them could be worth it. But I think there is a chance that there are no takers for the others.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#412 » by AingesBurner » Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:59 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:I think the whole Markkanen thing is overblown. All it took is a rumor that opposing executives are having the sense that he's not untouchable and now it's all over the news that the Jazz are looking to trade him and everyone wants Markkanen. I'll be shocked if he's traded, I just can't see it. It feels like a sliver of a rumor gets misinterpreted and everyone is running with it as if it's happening. Hopefully I'm not wrong about this.

GM probably offered garbage for him and Ainge replied it’s going to take a lot more than that. All of the sudden Markkanen is available :lol:
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#413 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:47 am

babyjax13 wrote:An expiring contract doesn't mean THT has value. To have value teams would need to believe that a player is worth their contract. In a sense, would another team pay THT what he is being paid? I don't think there is a single team that would. So it comes down to teams being willing to add incentive to worse bad money to get the pain over with soon. I'm 100% on board with eating bad money for any incentive we can get. e.g. if OKC wants to give us two seconds to turn THT into Bertans, or LAC wants to give us 2nds to turn him into PJ Tucker - sure!

I wouldn't do any of those trades. If that's all you can get, I see no reason to take on bad contracts for a few 2nds. Just let THT expire at the end of the season or use his contract as filler in a larger trade if one presents itself.

EDIT: I'll just remind that we had to give up a 1st to get rid of Favors' contract and now we're contemplating if we should tank so we could keep it, so I'll argue that expiring contracts have value even if a player isn't good. In such cases, the contract itself is the value and not if the player is worth it. Providing cap relief and avoidance of luxury tax can be worth much more to some teams than the value of a player in terms of if they are worth their contract.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#414 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:54 pm

Read on Twitter

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,374

Post#415 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:22 pm

There is a lot of smoke. Don't really want to trade him but I get it if we do.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#416 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:25 pm

Yeah, I still don't think this is happening. It's basically Ainge saying to other GMs to not bother calling unless they are willing to meet the price he established in the Gobert and Mitchell trades.

Rauxcee
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,126

Post#417 » by Rauxcee » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:02 pm

Ainge is not getting that for Lauri. But maybe thats the point.

I do wonder what Lauri's long term plan is. Does he want to stick around on a rebuilding team, or is he going to bounce after next season?
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,027

Post#418 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:40 pm

https://hoopshype.com/2023/12/18/lauri-markkanen-on-potential-trade-talk-i-really-believe-in-what-were-building-here-with-the-jazz/

"Lauri Markkanen doesn’t want to go anywhere. Let’s get that part clear at the start. After talking with the 26-year-old All-Star forward on Saturday morning, not long before his Utah Jazz (9-17) got blasted by the Kings in a 125-104 loss in Sacramento, the message could not be mistaken. “I just want to emphasize,” he said at the end of our 10-minute chat, “that I really believe in what we’re building here with the Jazz.” Translation: He’s hoping no team comes Utah’s way with the kind of Godfather offer that leads to another relocation.
Source: Sam Amick @ The Athletic"
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,745

Post#419 » by AingesBurner » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:12 pm

JC is available as well.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#420 » by bkohler » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:50 pm

AingesBurner wrote:JC is available as well.

The truth is he's always been available... there's just not much demand for him.

Return to Utah Jazz