The Official 2023-2024 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Re: The Official 2023-2024 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#261 » by AingesBurner » Sat Mar 9, 2024 3:01 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
KissedByaRose1 wrote:Hey all, i have absolutely no idea where to ask this so I'm putting it here.

Have you guys seen anything you would deem "tanking strategy" by Ainge/Hardy so far this season? And also know a ton of your players are hurt but in general do you still feel like they're playing hard? Asking for selfish reasons as you're +5 at home tomorrow against my POS team and i just wanted to get the pulse on if you think this is a game the current regime would rather win than lose =)?

Yes, there has been tanking strategy in play recently.

The trade deadline got rid of three rotation players in exchange for some draft capital and nothing else, since the players the Jazz got back were either waived (Knox), away from the the team after a failed buyout (Porter Jr.), not playing in the NBA (Procida) or not getting minutes other than very little garbage time (Lewis).

This weakened the team significantly and forced Hardy to play the rookies who up until that point were only playing in the d-league.

With that being said, the coach is trying to win while developing talent, and the players are trying to win. The tanking moves were only on the front office level.

If I had to guess, I'd predict a Bulls W, especially with the injuries the Jazz have had recently.

Tank for top 5. Feels like when GSW owed us a pick.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#262 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Mar 9, 2024 6:53 pm

AingesBurner wrote:Tank for top 5. Feels like when GSW owed us a pick.

Who are you drafting with your top-5 pick?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#263 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:13 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:Tank for top 5. Feels like when GSW owed us a pick.

Who are you drafting with your top-5 pick?

Luka Doncic :lol:
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#264 » by D Rog » Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:25 am

Over or Under - Jazz win 3 more games between March 11 and end of season?

You gotta love having the Jazz post their 3rd or 4th worst win/loss record in 40 years. I hope Hardy has a solid contract. I don't think it is on him but organizations usually find a scape goat
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#265 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Mar 12, 2024 12:11 pm

Apparently Otto Porter Jr. has decided to retire. At first when he and the Jazz couldn't agree on a buyout in time for him to join another team I thought it might have been because of some acrimony but as it turns out it's more about the wear and tear.

Best of luck to him and congratulations on a a successful NBA career.

“For the past 11 years, I had the chance to live my lifelong dream of playing in the NBA,” said Porter Jr. “That dream was capped by winning an NBA Championship! Unfortunately, my body is not allowing me to play at the level that I expect of myself, and I have therefore decided to retire.”

Read on Twitter
?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#266 » by vryadli » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:23 am

https://thejnotes.com/posts/lauri-markkanen-is-unhappy-with-the-recent-moves-made-by-the-utah-jazz-01hs28k4pm7c

Lauri Markkanen is unhappy with the recent moves made by the Utah Jazz

...Desert News, where he lamented the trading of several close teammates.

"It’s part of the business and you go through it every year. But I don’t think you get used to it. You’re good friends with those guys, and you obviously want the best for them and for their careers, but at the same time you want to spend as much time with them as possible.”

With Markkanen in his prime and on a team that isn't worried about him in the slightest, it seems to me and others that a divorce is coming soon. If the goal isn't to make moves this offseason to push for the playoffs, then the call to trade Markkanen has to be made. He's young, only 26 but he's turning 27 in a few months. This is his prime. This is when he's supposed to be in the playoffs, showing up and showing out.

It makes no sense to ask him to wait two or three more years as you continue to chase after rookies,

I think it is somewhat overblown, Finnish people are very patient. But... fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me. and if it comes to third time even for him it could be too much.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#267 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:44 pm

Locke had a rant today about people who criticize the Jazz's rebuild. While I don't have an issue with the points he made, I think he ignored one aspect of the criticism, which is that the Jazz don't appear to be going all the way in their approach to the rebuild in that they're not going all-in on tanking from the start, but rather pivot to tanking more than half way through the season which results in less effective rebuilding efforts and results.

AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Post#268 » by AGE1207 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:35 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Locke had a rant today about people who criticize the Jazz's rebuild. While I don't have an issue with the points he made, I think he ignored one aspect of the criticism, which is that the Jazz don't appear to be going all the way in their approach to the rebuild in that they're not going all-in on tanking from the start, but rather pivot to tanking more than half way through the season which results in less effective rebuilding efforts and results.

Yeah, I listened to it also but I wasn’t impressed at all. Ranting is indeed the correct word…

As u correctly point out, we are never going in “all the way” so his comparison to the OKC model kinda sucks. Furthermore, there’s been a blatant disregard for the actual fans ie. season ticket holders who have been really duped twice now by the non-communication of this “strategy” of ending the season in February. Of course these people complain and rightfully so as this isn’t what they paid for.
Lastly, I think most fans understood the need to blow up the team actually. However, I think the fans were very surprised we didn’t go “all in” for Wemby, Ched, etc…and were very surprised again this year giving up our winning culture and locker room chemistry in return for vague and distant “assets”…

So yeah, fans are critical…Maybe Locke should be a little bit more critical also.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#269 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:50 pm

I get that Markk and Sexton have made a tear it down and rebuild difficult. However, I also think that the Jazz have held on too long to players wanting to get what they deem fair value, or slightly increased value, like a FRP which will be in the 20s as opposed to a SRP. Their timing has been horrible as well. Should have gone all in last year for that draft, and next year for the 2025 draft. Instead, they are picking mid to late lottery and might not even have a lottery pick next year. Once again, the Spurs are schooling the NBA in tank and rebuild.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,044

Post#270 » by daoneandonly » Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:33 pm

Hi Jazz Nation, Mavs fan here.

Do you guys expect to use all 3 of those top 31-33 picks this year? As a Mavs fan, I'd love to get either of the 2 lesser ones for Josh Green if Utah would be interested in taking him into cap space and prefer to have someone with more experience vs taking on another rookie.

Maybe I'm just being a homer, but would Utah ever consider such a thing?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#271 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:09 pm

daoneandonly wrote:Hi Jazz Nation, Mavs fan here.

Do you guys expect to use all 3 of those top 31-33 picks this year? As a Mavs fan, I'd love to get either of the 2 lesser ones for Josh Green if Utah would be interested in taking him into cap space and prefer to have someone with more experience vs taking on another rookie.

Maybe I'm just being a homer, but would Utah ever consider such a thing?

We would also like to know the answer to that question. I doubt the Jazz would use all of their picks and my guess is that they'll try to package some of them either to move up or in a trade for a player.

The offer you're presenting is fair (maybe it even favors the Jazz based on value) and not out of the realm of possibility if I had to guess but I think Ainge will first try to swing a big trade so I'm not sure if the timing is ideal if we're talking about a trade before the draft since he'll also try to re-negotiate a deal with Markkanen which would take up a chunk of the cap and also maybe try to use some assets for a big trade.

vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#272 » by vryadli » Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:49 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Locke had a rant today about people who criticize the Jazz's rebuild. While I don't have an issue with the points he made, I think he ignored one aspect of the criticism, which is that the Jazz don't appear to be going all the way in their approach to the rebuild in that they're not going all-in on tanking from the start, but rather pivot to tanking more than half way through the season which results in less effective rebuilding efforts and results.

I completely agree but would add at the end:

" to tanking more than half way through the season which results in less effective rebuilding efforts and results than destroying all human, cultural, team spirit and reputational aspects which are almost absolutely necessary for legitimate contender team"

Reputational losses are most evident, though may be not most aggravating. though.. for small market team it can be very, very serious losses.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#273 » by red4hf » Sat Mar 23, 2024 9:48 pm

Lofton Jr. dropped 52 points in G-League, let's give him some run......
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#274 » by D Rog » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:57 pm

vryadli wrote:

I completely agree but would add at the end:

" to tanking more than half way through the season which results in less effective rebuilding efforts and results than destroying all human, cultural, team spirit and reputational aspects which are almost absolutely necessary for legitimate contender team"

Reputational losses are most evident, though may be not most aggravating. though.. for small market team it can be very, very serious losses.

I have to admit I have rarely followed or listened to Locke in the past 15 -20years. He was great when he was young and independent. He called it like he saw it and because he was a fan he criticized decisions made by the team. I understand why he has changed. He started working for the Jazz. The Jazz put food on his table and pay his mortgage so he is going to defend their front office moves as long as they pay him. I find most of the local media dances around the idea of criticizing the Jazz organization.

I threw in the towel years ago on the Jazz organization and front office. They will never be able to draw in the right talent in free agency. "The Process" didn't work in Philly and it sure as hell won't work in SLC. I don't understand why the Jazz would keep Markkanen at this point if they are going with a full blown youth movement rebuild. He will be 30 in 3 years when Keyonte, Taylor, Brice and Kessler will be 25 or under. If the Jazz make moves this summer and add a couple of veterans then maybe keeping Markkanen is the right move. It would be good to know what direction the front office is pursuing. I feel like I just got on a plane and am not sure where we are going.

Several years ago I predicted the Lakers would win 4 more titles before the Jazz got back to the WCF. I still stand by that belief and the Lakers have won 1 title since that prediction.

`
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#275 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 pm

I read the other day that Phil Johnson, Sloan's longtime assistant coach, wasn't so sure that Keyonte George is the PGOTF for the Jazz. He said that he wasn't sure that KG was good enough to go up against the best PGs in the league, which is necessary to be an effective starter. Did anyone listen to the interview to give more context or insight to this?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#276 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:32 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I read the other day that Phil Johnson, Sloan's longtime assistant coach, wasn't so sure that Keyonte George is the PGOTF for the Jazz. He said that he wasn't sure that KG was good enough to go up against the best PGs in the league, which is necessary to be an effective starter. Did anyone listen to the interview to give more context or insight to this?

Haven't heard it or about it but it's worth noting that George almost never played PG, other than a shot stint in high school according to Locke, so the learning curve would be steep, one can assume. Also, Johnson is an old-school guy and he probably looking at most PGs today and doesn't think of them as point guards at all. He may end up being right but it's way too soon to know either way. When you say something like what he said, most chances are you'd end up being right solely based on the fact that most players aren't good enough to go up against the best PGs in the league, and the odds decrease further based on how low you're picked. I wouldn't make much of it at this point and from what I've seen of George he seems like he learns pretty quickly.

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#277 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:45 pm

George doesn't project as a very interesting or championship worthy PG in that he's too small to survive switches and doesn't project to be an elite scorer because his shooting is just OK, he doesn't create much space, and he doesn't get to the basket.

But he can be an average PG and it's not like we're ever going to win a title.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#278 » by bkohler » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:35 am

Keyonte isn’t particularly small. He’s 6’4 it’s not like he’s 6’0. He’ll put on weight as he ages, I’m not sure his size is the thing that would prevent him from being a me elite pg.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#279 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:40 pm

bkohler wrote:Keyonte isn’t particularly small. He’s 6’4 it’s not like he’s 6’0. He’ll put on weight as he ages, I’m not sure his size is the thing that would prevent him from being a me elite pg.

He tried and failed to put on weight in college, his frame is maxed out. Putting on more muscle led to big athleticism drops for him.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#280 » by bkohler » Mon Apr 1, 2024 6:20 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
bkohler wrote:Keyonte isn’t particularly small. He’s 6’4 it’s not like he’s 6’0. He’ll put on weight as he ages, I’m not sure his size is the thing that would prevent him from being a me elite pg.

He tried and failed to put on weight in college, his frame is maxed out. Putting on more muscle led to big athleticism drops for him.

That is true; I forgot about that. I'm personally not super high on Keyonte long term. I think he's likely to become a Jordan Clarkson-type player, but I don't think size will be the thing that prevents him from being elite. There are certainly smaller players who have hit the elite level.

Return to Utah Jazz