red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Re: The Official 2023-2024 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#181 » by red4hf » Thu Nov 30, 2023 11:40 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

If we're going to lose, let's bring him in and give him minutes..... He can't be any worse than what we're putting out there now.....
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#182 » by bkohler » Fri Dec 1, 2023 3:47 pm

red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

If we're going to lose, let's bring him in and give him minutes..... He can't be any worse than what we're putting out there now.....

I mean he could be worse, but the outcomes would be the same AND he’d be getting big boy reps.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#183 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Dec 1, 2023 10:02 pm

I'm ok with Hendricks developing and playing big minutes in the GL until after the trade deadline, when he should be more seasoned and most likely have minutes to play due to a trade or two without creating team/locker room issues.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#184 » by bkohler » Tue Dec 5, 2023 1:58 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I'm ok with Hendricks developing and playing big minutes in the GL until after the trade deadline, when he should be more seasoned and most likely have minutes to play due to a trade or two without creating team/locker room issues.

Something I don’t understand is why it’s an either or thing. Isn’t the point of having a gleague team colocated in the same city as you to make call ups / send downs really easy?

Spam the minutes for Hendricks in the g-league but have him play small minutes with the Jazz when they’re in town. Seems like the best of both worlds.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#185 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 1:24 pm

Random stats.

Jazz have a lot of rotation players with a TS% that is significantly below the NBA average for position: George - 47.9%, THT - 48.8%, Dunn - 48.8%, JC - 50.8% and Kessler - 56.7%.

Average NBA TS% by position: PG - 56.3%, SG - 56.6%, SF - 57.9%, PF - 57.5%, C - 61%.

Sexton, Ochai, Font, Collins, Markk, Yurt and Olynyk have respectable TS%. Olynyk has the highest TS at 73.6%.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#186 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:16 pm

Random stats update:

Kris Dunn climbed to 55.4 TS%. THT climbed a bit to 51.4%. Clarkson still has a low 49.8 TS% and George a 50.0 TS%. For a rookie just barely getting his feet wet, George's 50 TS% is not terrible, but when the Jazz start George together with Clarkson, we've often ended up with a double dose of inefficient offense and defense.

Dunn, Sexton and THT have all been shooting pretty well over the last six games while George and Clarkson have been out: Dunn is 65.4 TS%, Sexton is 60.4 TS% and THT is 56.9 TS%.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#187 » by vryadli » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:11 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Random stats update:

Kris Dunn has climbed a lot to 55.4 TS%. THT has climbed a bit to 51.4%. Clarkson is still a low 49.8 TS% and George 50.0 TS%. For a rookie just barely getting his feet wet, George's 50 TS% is not terrible, but when the Jazz start George together with Clarkson, whose TS% has been unacceptably low for a vet so far this season, we've ended up getting a double dose of inefficient offense and defense out of the starting guards.

Dunn, Sexton and THT have all been shooting pretty effectively while George and Clarkson have been out. For those six games they've missed counting George's 4 min game, Dunn is 65.4 TS%, Sexton is 60.4 TS% and THT is 56.9 TS%.

I'm afraid it doesn't bode well for them. Just wait till Clarkson and George will be back. Jazz will go to previous losing rate for sure.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#188 » by D Rog » Sat Dec 23, 2023 2:28 am

vryadli wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Random stats update:

Kris Dunn has climbed a lot to 55.4 TS%. THT has climbed a bit to 51.4%. Clarkson is still a low 49.8 TS% and George 50.0 TS%. For a rookie just barely getting his feet wet, George's 50 TS% is not terrible, but when the Jazz start George together with Clarkson, whose TS% has been unacceptably low for a vet so far this season, we've ended up getting a double dose of inefficient offense and defense out of the starting guards.

Dunn, Sexton and THT have all been shooting pretty effectively while George and Clarkson have been out. For those six games they've missed counting George's 4 min game, Dunn is 65.4 TS%, Sexton is 60.4 TS% and THT is 56.9 TS%.

I'm afraid it doesn't bode well for them. Just wait till Clarkson and George will be back. Jazz will go to previous losing rate for sure.

Not being critical or doubting you guys... You may be right but let's be honest, the last 4 games (and I am not looking at the entire season for Dunn, Sexton or THT) have included games against Detroit, a Cleveland time with 3 or 4 main rotation guys missing and Brooklyn. Need to see more before I judge
vryadli
Rookie

Post#189 » by vryadli » Mon Jan 1, 2024 1:44 am

Yes, it was very soft stretch, but 7-3 last 10, 9-5 at home and 5 road games more than home. I'm going to wait and see... even got NBA pass last week.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#190 » by bkohler » Sun Jan 7, 2024 3:00 pm

Guys… I feel so depressed about the current Jazz situation. I don’t know if there’s a jazz team I’ve vibed with less.

It just feels like we have such a low ceiling and when I look at our roster I struggle to see any semblance of a true franchise player.

A team built around Lauri can be decent but any team where he’s the best player just feels like it has such a low ceiling.

It just feels like we’re stuck in the mud hoping for someone to ask out elsewhere so we can over pay for them.

Anyone else feel similar?
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#191 » by red4hf » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:43 pm

bkohler wrote:Guys… I feel so depressed about the current Jazz situation. I don’t know if there’s a jazz team I’ve vibed with less.

It just feels like we have such a low ceiling and when I look at our roster I struggle to see any semblance of a true franchise player.

A team built around Lauri can be decent but any team where he’s the best player just feels like it has such a low ceiling.

It just feels like we’re stuck in the mud hoping for someone to ask out elsewhere so we can over pay for them.

I like every player we have, I just really dislike how they play on the court, except for a few games...... They are really frustrating to watch most of the time..... And it does feel like we'll be stuck in mediocrity for a while......
bkohler
Rookie

Post#192 » by bkohler » Sun Jan 7, 2024 5:50 pm

red4hf wrote:
bkohler wrote:Guys… I feel so depressed about the current Jazz situation. I don’t know if there’s a jazz team I’ve vibed with less.

I like every player we have, I just really dislike how they play on the court, except for a few games...... They are really frustrating to watch most of the time..... And it does feel like we'll be stuck in mediocrity for a while......

There’s a few players that just don’t jive with me but I think that’s more of a role issue than anything. I’m really not a big JC fan in anything other than a microwave 7th guy off the bench. I think probably the same for Sexton.

Part of it might be the offense as well; it just feels like sometimes our offense is lucking into points where with pervious Jazz teams the offense felt like the reason points were being generated.

I really like Hardy, Walker, Lauri, Ochai… but they all feel like side dishes and I’m hungry for an entree.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#193 » by Crunch 99 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 4:28 pm

bkohler wrote:I’m really not a big JC fan in anything other than a microwave 7th guy off the bench. I think probably the same for Sexton.

I agreed they both seemed like microwave off the bench guys, but the play of both of them improved with the change to Sexton starting and Clarkson coming off the bench. Small samples, but:

Sexton starter per 36: 26.8 ppg on 61.9 TS%, 6.2 ast, 2.3 tovs.
Sexton bench per 36: 22.0 ppg on 57.5 TS%, 5.6 ast, 3.3 tovs.

Clarkson starter per 36: 19.4 ppg on 49.8 TS%, 5.8 ast, 3.5 tovs.
Clarkson bench per 36: 24.4 ppg on 55.3 TS%, 7.4 ast, 4.7 tovs.

I have no idea where the Jazz roster is headed, but I sill find the team entertaining to watch, except for the blowout losses :lol: , and further appreciate that we are just in the second season of a teardown and rebuild, and Ainge still has a stockpile of picks to work with.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#194 » by vryadli » Mon Jan 8, 2024 7:26 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:
I have no idea where the Jazz roster is headed long term, but I sill find the team entertaining to watch, except for the blowout losses :lol: , and further appreciate that we are just in the second season of a teardown and rebuild, and Ainge still has a stockpile of picks to work with.

I also recently watch on-court basketball with interest. And wouldn't like any groundbreaking trade again.

On the other hand, may be those sophisticated people who prefer bold trades, draft suspense, tanking competitions deserve more consideration in defining team future than old-style duds like me. Then it would be great to trade KO, LM and Kessler for incredible humongous number of first round pics.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#195 » by bkohler » Mon Jan 8, 2024 9:42 pm

I don't think discontent with the current Jazz situation has to be put into a tank vs not a tank debate. I could quickly get behind a team in a similar spot in the standings, but it seems to have a little more direction. When I watch games now, they hope one of the guards will get hot. It doesn't feel like we have an identity that I can see. We don't seem to excel at any one thing, and there's not a ton to hang our hat on.

We're beating bad teams. We've only beaten five teams with winning records, and a few of those wins have come when those teams were on the second night of a back-to-back.

I'm okay with losing, and I'm fine going for it. What feels so sickening to me is not seeing things that I feel like we can build around long term. Bad teams often have actual building blocks or steps toward an identity. It just feels like we don't have any of that.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,032

Post#196 » by mg » Mon Jan 8, 2024 10:17 pm

bkohler wrote:
red4hf wrote:

There’s a few players that just don’t jive with me but I think that’s more of a role issue than anything. I’m really not a big JC fan in anything other than a microwave 7th guy off the bench. I think probably the same for Sexton.

Part of it might be the offense as well; it just feels like sometimes our offense is lucking into points where with pervious Jazz teams the offense felt like the reason points were being generated.

I really like Hardy, Walker, Lauri, Ochai… but they all feel like side dishes and I’m hungry for an entree.

Just a gut feeling but Josh Christopher is going to be better than Ochai if he can keep up his shooting %s. He's still only 22 and playing well for the Stars. To me Agbaji is just mid with little ceiling at almost age 24, while both Hendricks(age 20) and Christopher (yes another JC) have higher ceilings if they reach their potential.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#197 » by bkohler » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:12 am

And right on schedule the Jazz release Christopher.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,032

Post#198 » by mg » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:29 am

bkohler wrote:And right on schedule the Jazz release Christopher.

Kiss of death! Sorry Christopher usually I need to actually buy the jersey to have that type of effect.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#199 » by TNJazz » Tue Jan 9, 2024 6:19 pm

Unbelievable after how the Jazz started out this season, but the recent urge has them only 1/2 game out of the playoffs and trending up while GSW and the Lakers are falling like rocks recently. I am loving this recent surge especially with the last 2 significant road wins over 2 of the top 6 teams in the league. Actually 5wins out of 6 with wins over Heat, Sixers, Bucks and even Dallas. If the beat the Nuggets next... :o
vryadli
Rookie

Post#200 » by vryadli » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:54 pm

+ they share best 10 last 10 games with Boston and Nuggets (and now it is not even soft stretch)
+ they have 6 road games more than on home court.

And all that started exactly when I bought NBA pass! Very good ~$70 investment even if I'm saying it myself.

Return to Utah Jazz