The Official 2023-2024 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,036

Re: The Official 2023-2024 Utah Jazz Season Discussion Thread 

Post#241 » by JazzUte88 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:53 am

This franchise isn’t the same without Joe Ingles.

Maybe they should bring in Markelle Fultz next season and help with the tank?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#242 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:05 pm

The Jazz waived Kevin Knox II. Porter Jr. Next?

Read on Twitter
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#243 » by D Rog » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:16 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:The Jazz waived Kevin Knox II. Porter Jr. Next?

Read on Twitter

Not surprised. Jazz did the same thing with Derick Rose. He went on score 50 vs the Jazz the next year.

Before all of you jump on my statement, I AM NOT SAYING KNOX WILL DO THE SAME :lol:
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#244 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Feb 11, 2024 11:39 am

Zanik on the trade deadline moves:

Seems like Hendricks and the Sensei will get playing time on the Jazz in the final 30 games to see where they are so the Jazz could evaluate them. Kira Lewis will get some time as well.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#245 » by D Rog » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:58 pm

And just like that the Warrior overtake the jazz in the standings and the Jazz are headed for the lottery again
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#246 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:13 pm

D Rog wrote:And just like that the Warrior overtake the jazz in the standings and the Jazz are headed for the lottery again

It's unlikely the Jazz make the play-in without an injury to Luka, Steph, LeBron, or AD, but they need to have a worse record than two of the Bulls, Hawks, and Rockets to most likely keep their pick and all three to nearly guarantee they keep their pick. Collins-Kessler is a pretty awful lineup so they might do that, but the Rockets are self-sabotaging by playing Amen Thompson now so we'll see.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#247 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:39 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:It's unlikely the Jazz make the play-in without an injury to Luka, Steph, LeBron, or AD, but they need to have a worse record than two of the Bulls, Hawks, and Rockets to most likely keep their pick and all three to nearly guarantee they keep their pick. Collins-Kessler is a pretty awful lineup so they might do that, but the Rockets are self-sabotaging by playing Amen Thompson now so we'll see.

FVV is out in what seems to be a legitimate injury. I've looked at their roster and I'm not sure if they have a better option than Thompson at PG. Maybe Holiday?

TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#248 » by TNJazz » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:41 pm

With this weak draft, convey it.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,036

Post#249 » by JazzUte88 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:46 am

Ugh, I wish they’d “tank” more. Let Markelle Fultz run the team on offense a bit next year and let the younger players develop.

Fultz is usually good for 8-14 points a game, 3-5 rebounds, 4-7 assists a game. Maybe Utah’s coaching staff can rework his shot back to respectability.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#250 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 5:19 am

The look on Lauri’s face at the end of tonight’s game concerned me. How much losing will he put up with before wanting greener pastures?
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#251 » by Wolverine » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:11 am

Read on Twitter
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#252 » by BigJimFinn » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:38 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:The look on Lauri’s face at the end of tonight’s game concerned me. How much losing will he put up with before wanting greener pastures?

Olynyk and Dunn were the only guys on the team always looking to feed Lauri when his off-ball movement opened up the chance, and the only ones able to deliver the pass into small time windows. Now one of them is gone and the other one is sitting. Lauri is still trying to move around, getting grabbed and bumped on every play, and as a reward he gets to watch Sexton, Clarkson and THT taking turns to dribble head down into traffic, get stuck in the middle and lose the ball or toss up something hopeless. So many zero-pass possessions, followed up by easy buckets leaked in transition.

Worryingly Keyonte seems to be taking on these bad habits too. The play that stuck in my mind was a high P&R where Lauri got the switch and deep post against Curry alone in the paint. Keyonte did not see this, passed out to THT, and finally the ball is forced into Lauri two seconds too late when the help had covered and the pass was intercepted.

I understand why Olynyk was traded, but the effect of losing the best passer and smartest offensive player is devastating on a team that ranks surely bottom 5 in terms of collective basketball IQ. Replacing his minutes with Hendricks, who looks just like a big lost child out there, feels awful. Maybe it had to be done, but I too wonder how long Lauri will accept the "jam tomorrow, never jam today" policy.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,549

Post#253 » by PaKii94 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:20 am

BigJimFinn wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:The look on Lauri’s face at the end of tonight’s game concerned me. How much losing will he put up with before wanting greener pastures?

Olynyk and Dunn were the only guys on the team always looking to feed Lauri when his off-ball movement opened up the chance, and the only ones able to deliver the pass into small time windows. Now one of them is gone and the other one is sitting. Lauri is still trying to move around, getting grabbed and bumped on every play, and as a reward he gets to watch Sexton, Clarkson and THT taking turns to dribble head down into traffic, get stuck in the middle and lose the ball or toss up something hopeless. So many zero-pass possessions, followed up by easy buckets leaked in transition.

Worryingly Keyonte seems to be taking on these bad habits too. The play that stuck in my mind was a high P&R where Lauri got the switch and deep post against Curry alone in the paint. Keyonte did not see this, passed out to THT, and finally the ball is forced into Lauri two seconds too late when the help had covered and the pass was intercepted.

I understand why Olynyk was traded, but the effect of losing the best passer and smartest offensive player is devastating on a team that ranks surely bottom 5 in terms of collective basketball IQ. Replacing his minutes with Hendricks, who looks just like a big lost child out there, feels awful. Maybe it had to be done, but I too wonder how long Lauri will accept the "jam tomorrow, never jam today" policy.

Perfectly said
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#254 » by AingesBurner » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:56 pm

We shouldn’t worry until the summer because I think we go after a player that Lauri compliments and vice versa. Ryan is trying to figure out why no one is watching the game.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#255 » by vryadli » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:41 pm

By the way, last trade deal away the players with biggest BBIQ. the last leftover of it is Dunn, but he is too far down in pecking chain to make a difference. So what will youngsters learn in that additional PT? Don't look around, dribble and shoot each time you got the ball, because you are not going to get it again.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#256 » by bkohler » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:23 pm

I just had this thought for everyone who's really upset with the way things are going right now. Maybe it will give you some hope. The last team (that I can remember) that did this type of soft tanking was the Warriors. About a decade ago, they tanked to ensure their pick wasn't conveyed to us. In that draft they added Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green (with an early SRP) to Steph who had been good but yet to truly ascend to superstardom and we all know the rest of that story.

Am I saying Lauri is going to be a 7-foot-tall Steph Curry? Yes. Yes, I am.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#257 » by bkohler » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:21 pm

I've got issues with the current starting lineups and rotations, but I hope that some of that is resolved with time. I'd prefer a lineup of Dunn, Sexton, Maybe Hendricks?, Lauri, and Walker, with Collins and Walker's minutes staggered and JC, Keyonte, and Collins anchoring our bench lineups with Porter, Sensi, and Luka mixed in depending on need.

I'd prefer not to play THT at all (honestly would prefer they release him).
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#258 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 10:31 pm

bkohler wrote:I just had this thought for everyone who's really upset with the way things are going right now. Maybe it will give you some hope. The last team (that I can remember) that did this type of soft tanking was the Warriors. About a decade ago, they tanked to ensure their pick wasn't conveyed to us. In that draft they added Harrison Barnes and Draymond Green (with an early SRP) to Steph who had been good but yet to truly ascend to superstardom and we all know the rest of that story.

Am I saying Lauri is going to be a 7-foot-tall Steph Curry? Yes. Yes, I am.

Personally, I have been down on the trades at the trade deadline. Sure, you got a FRP for a 32 yr old expiring player, but you had to give up Ochai (who had rotation promise) and you got a late FRP in a draft everyone thought that you were going to try to avoid (or should avoid) by conveying the non-top 10 pick to OKC. I sure hope that during the 2025 draft we aren't wishing that we had that 2024 pick instead.

It's opened up playing time for Hendricks, but he doesn't look ready for it. Hopefully, that changes. Also, hopefully, Markk doesn't get burned out of the losses during the rebuild and decide to leave.

Your comparison to the Warriors is a good, perhaps hopeful, comparison as everyone keeps making the Celtics and Thunder comparisons. However, those two are horrible comparisons as they were able to draft their best players with really high picks and it is doubtful that we will be able to with the talent that we traded Gobert/Mitchell for.
KissedByaRose1
Pro Prospect
And1: 427

Post#259 » by KissedByaRose1 » Wed Mar 6, 2024 7:19 am

Hey all, i have absolutely no idea where to ask this so I'm putting it here.

Have you guys seen anything you would deem "tanking strategy" by Ainge/Hardy so far this season? And also know a ton of your players are hurt but in general do you still feel like they're playing hard? Asking for selfish reasons as you're +5 at home tomorrow against my POS team and i just wanted to get the pulse on if you think this is a game the current regime would rather win than lose =)?
DuckIII wrote: We can't out-Miami, Miami. But based on their roster, we can out-Chicago them.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#260 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Mar 6, 2024 10:22 am

KissedByaRose1 wrote:Hey all, i have absolutely no idea where to ask this so I'm putting it here.

Have you guys seen anything you would deem "tanking strategy" by Ainge/Hardy so far this season? And also know a ton of your players are hurt but in general do you still feel like they're playing hard? Asking for selfish reasons as you're +5 at home tomorrow against my POS team and i just wanted to get the pulse on if you think this is a game the current regime would rather win than lose =)?

Yes, there has been tanking strategy in play recently.

The trade deadline got rid of three rotation players in exchange for some draft capital and nothing else, since the players the Jazz got back were either waived (Knox), away from the the team after a failed buyout (Porter Jr.), not playing in the NBA (Procida) or not getting minutes other than very little garbage time (Lewis).

This weakened the team significantly and forced Hardy to play the rookies who up until that point were only playing in the d-league.

With that being said, the coach is trying to win while developing talent, and the players are trying to win. The tanking moves were only on the front office level.

If I had to guess, I'd predict a Bulls W, especially with the injuries the Jazz have had recently.

Return to Utah Jazz