Around The NBA, 2023-2024 Season

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Re: Around The NBA, 2023-2024 Season 

Post#41 » by TNJazz » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:38 pm

If Brooklyn and Memphis make it to the finals, not much of a difference between the two floors. Wow these are all Fugly
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#42 » by D Rog » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:41 am

Does anybody really give a $#iT about the "in season tournament"? Why?

I am so tired of hearing about it. It is meaningless.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#43 » by red4hf » Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:57 am

D Rog wrote:Does anybody really give a $#iT about the "in season tournament"? Why?

I like it.....
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#44 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Nov 18, 2023 2:09 pm

red4hf wrote:
D Rog wrote:Does anybody really give a $#iT about the "in season tournament"? Why?

I like it.....

It makes very little difference to me so far. I think they should amend a few things, first and foremost the courts because most of them are really ugly. They should also come up with a much better name than the 'in-season tournament' and find a way to reward fans of teams for winning the whole thing and not only the players because no fan cares about millionaires getting paid an extra $500K or so. I'm sure fans would be much more invested if the winner of the tournament would be moved up a few spots in the draft, for example.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf

Post#45 » by red4hf » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:16 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:

I like it.....

It makes very little difference to me so far. I think they should amend a few things, first and foremost the courts because most of them are really ugly. They should also come up with a much better name than the 'in-season tournament' and find a way to reward fans of teams for winning the whole thing and not only the players because no fan cares about millionaires getting paid an extra $500K or so. I'm sure fans would be much more invested if the winner of the tournament would be moved up a few spots in the draft, for example.

I was having the exact same thought abut the lottery...... I think the NBA will play around with this and tweak it....... But the idea is good......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#46 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Nov 18, 2023 4:47 pm

red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:
I like it.....

I was having the exact same thought abut the lottery...... I think the NBA will play around with this and tweak it....... But the idea is good......

Here's a more detailed suggestion. Winner of the tournament moves up in the draft, based on the following. If the winner of the tournament ends up with pick number:

1-3: no change (players are awarded an additional $500K)
4-6: move up 1 spot
7-10: move up 2 spots
11-14: move up 3 spots
15-20: move up 4 spots
21-30: move up 5 spots

Something along those lines.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf

Post#47 » by red4hf » Sun Nov 19, 2023 12:25 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:It makes very little difference to me so far. I think they should amend a few things, first and foremost the courts because most of them are really ugly. They should also come up with a much better name than the 'in-season tournament' and find a way to reward fans of teams for winning the whole thing and not only the players because no fan cares about millionaires getting paid an extra $500K or so. I'm sure fans would be much more invested if the winner of the tournament would be moved up a few spots in the draft, for example.

Here's a more detailed suggestion. Winner of the tournament moves up in the draft, based on the following. If the winner of the tournament ends up with pick number:

All excellent suggestions.....
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#48 » by TNJazz » Sun Nov 19, 2023 2:19 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:It makes very little difference to me so far. I think they should amend a few things, first and foremost the courts because most of them are really ugly. They should also come up with a much better name than the 'in-season tournament' and find a way to reward fans of teams for winning the whole thing and not only the players because no fan cares about millionaires getting paid an extra $500K or so. I'm sure fans would be much more invested if the winner of the tournament would be moved up a few spots in the draft, for example.

While I like the idea of having the in season tourney mean more to the franchise and fans then the current process of only the players getting a stipend, that player incentive needs to remain if the games are to be more competitive (the primary reason for instituting it to begin with). So not taking that away, but also tinkering with other incentives...The idea of improving the lottery odds is intriguing, but the current lottery system is designed to help the weaker teams improve and the better teams not continue to stack up and build on their current success. It will remain to be seen, but I suspect the winner will be among the leagues best teams, so rewarding them with higher 1st round draft picks, kind of negates the current system which is targeted on parity and is supposed to help the smaller market teams that aren't able to attract the quality free agents (Jazz) to make them at least appear to be relevant. I do like the idea...
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#49 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Dec 7, 2023 1:32 pm

There are teams that are struggling to a degree that wasn't expected this season, such as the Pistons, Spurs and Wizards. All of them were expected to be bad but I don't think it was widely expected that they'll be this bad. This could maybe present some interesting trade opportunities.

I have no idea if the following players are available but I think they'd make interesting trade targets:

Jaden Ivey
Deni Avdija
Corey Kispert

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#50 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 9, 2023 11:26 am

Things don't look that great in New Orleans. I think it's just a matter of time before Zion is traded. If he was traded to Utah he'd probably want out immediately but I think being traded to a big market is the the worst thing that could happen to him. He needs to be in a small market.

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#51 » by Crunch 99 » Sat Dec 9, 2023 12:57 pm

Exum filled up the stat sheet for Mavs in second start: 23 pts on 15 fga with 7 ast, 6 rebs and 1 tov.
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39073609
red4hf

Post#52 » by red4hf » Sat Dec 9, 2023 7:53 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:Exum filled up the stat sheet for Mavs in second start: 23 pts on 15 fga with 7 ast, 6 rebs and 1 tov.
https://www.espn.com/video/clip/_/id/39073609

Good for him.....
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#53 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:51 pm

Exum continues to kill it for the Mavs, which is nice to see. Happy for him.

Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#54 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:46 pm

stitches wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:Exum Signing with Mavs
Read on Twitter

I wanted Exum back for us. He would have fit so well with this team. No idea if you guys have followed his development in Europe but he's become somewhat of a beast. He seems more explosive than ever and more aggressive than ever... kind of looks like what we imagined him being for us. He's been dunking on people the last couple of years... He has like... a dozen poster dunks over the last two years.

And that's not even what's most exciting... look at his shooting splits... he's like 50-40-85 guy nowadays.

I was one of his biggest fans around here, and I will be rooting for his success again. I hope he stays healthy... because he still goes flying into 2nd row with ease on some of those rim attacks.

In his four starts with the Mavs while Kyrie has been out, Exum has gone off for 17.5 ppg on 11.3 fga with 5.8 apg, 5 rebs, 1.2 stl and 1.3 tovs. His 69.6 TS% for those games is unsustainable, but he is definitely bigger and stronger than he used to be.

At this moment, he looks like a better, all around, two-way player than every single one of our guards and wings. But Doncic does a lot to make him look good as well --- collapsing the defense and making some great passes to a wide open Exum on perimeter. Exum made seven threes last night. Exum can get to the rim too.

Dennis Lindsey works for the Mavs now. He was probably continuing to monitor him and played a role in bringing him back to the NBA. Alex Jensen is there too as an assistant coach. I've noticed Dante talking to Jensen when he goes to the sidelines, so I guess they have a decent relationship.
red4hf

Post#55 » by red4hf » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:07 pm

Exum looked great last night, very happy for him......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#56 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:05 pm

Draymond was suspended indefinitely by the NBA. I'm going to call BS on that. I may very well be proven wrong but my impression is that they're doing it so they won't have to give him a long suspension. Instead of saying he's suspended for 10 games or 20, they say he's suspended indefinitely and will end up reinstating him before too long while maintaining the impression they took a hard stance. I think the consensus is that he should get at least 10 games but I doubt the NBA will give him more than that when it's all said and done.

Draymond Green Suspended Indefinitely By NBA
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/273961/Draymond-Green-Suspended-Indefinitely-By-NBA

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#57 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:29 pm

Some hot takes:

1. Miles Bridges is good. Like, really good.
Last season he averaged 20.2pts+7rbs+3.8ast+0.9stl+0.8blk while shooting 49.1%FG, 33%3PT and 80%FT
This season he's averaging: 19.9pts+6.8rbs+2.7ast+1.4stl+0.3blk while shooting 49.7%FG, 37.5%3PT and 85%FT

He's expected to leave the Hornets next season and perhaps could be had on a relative bargain due to his issues. I don't know if Jazz fans will be willing to stomach having him on the roster due to his issues but purely from a basketball fit, he looks like a very good one and on what may be a discounted price. He also fits the timeline as he's still 25 years old.

Miles Bridges Expected To Leave Hornets Next Season
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/273833/Miles-Bridges-Expected-To-Leave-Hornets-Next-Season

2. The Hawks aren't looking like they improved over last season and Snyder isn't making a difference there in terms of wins and losses. While last season he had the benefit of the doubt as he took over mid season, now that he's been there a bit longer and received a lot of power and influence over things, he's on the spot. A good coach is able to make his team better and over-achieve. So far, it's not happening. A bad coach makes his team under-achieve and I'd argue that's not really the case here either. A mediocre coach makes little difference on a team. Nate McMillan had a 29-30 record last season, and Snyder had a 10-11 record last season. Now their record is 9-14 and if we assume they'll get a bit better then they'll still hover around .500 which is still not an improvement over what they had. We'll see how Snyder's tenure on the Hawks ends up but so far it doesn't look like he's made much of a difference.

red4hf

Post#58 » by red4hf » Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:38 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Some hot takes:

Last season he averaged 20.2pts+7rbs+3.8ast+0.9stl+0.8blk while shooting 49.1%FG, 33%3PT and 80%FT
This season he's averaging: 19.9pts+6.8rbs+2.7ast+1.4stl+0.3blk while shooting 49.7%FG, 37.5%3PT and 85%FT

He's expected to leave the Hornets next season and perhaps could be had on a relative bargain due to his issues. I don't know if Jazz fans will be willing to stomach having him on the roster due to his issues but purely from a basketball fit, he looks like a very good one and on what may be a discounted price. He also fits the timeline as he's still 25 years old.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/273833/Miles-Bridges-Expected-To-Leave-Hornets-Next-Season

2. The Hawks aren't looking like they improved over last season and Snyder isn't making a difference there in terms of wins and losses. While last season he had the benefit of the doubt as he took over mid season, now that he's been there a bit longer and received a lot of power and influence over things, he's on the spot. A good coach is able to make his team better and over-achieve. So far, it's not happening. A bad coach makes his team under-achieve and I'd argue that's not really the case here either. A mediocre coach makes little difference on a team. Nate McMillan had a 29-30 record last season, and Snyder had a 10-11 record last season. Now their record is 9-14 and if we assume they'll get a bit better then they'll still hover around .500 which is still not an improvement over what they had. We'll see how Snyder's tenure on the Hawks ends up but so far it doesn't look like he's made much of a difference.

Hawks look awful, I don't understand what is happening there at all.......

Just say no to Miles Bridges......
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#59 » by vryadli » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:26 pm

red4hf wrote:

Why?! I think it will be quite refreshing to have some bright exciting person on the tem after dull years of perennial paly-off exits in blue-collars hard-work goody-goody overachieving style. Why we can't have a nice relaxed party once in 30-40 yeaars?
red4hf

Post#60 » by red4hf » Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:38 am

vryadli wrote:
red4hf wrote:

Why?! I think it will be quite refreshing to have some bright exciting person on the tem after dull years of perennial paly-off exits in blue-collars hard-work goody-goody overachieving style. Why we can't have a nice relaxed party once in 30-40 yeaars?

His history is not something I want the Jazz to be associated with.....

Return to Utah Jazz