Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Re: Around The NBA, 2023-2024 Season 

Post#21 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:44 am

AingesBurner wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:So, Embiid just removed any mention of the Sixers from his twitter profile...

Kessler or Embiid?

I'd go with the reigning MVP...

We will have to put a fitting roster around him though, which I'm not sure we can. I don't think it's realistic that we could get him anyway and the price we'd have t pay would gut the team. I'm happy with Kessler.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#22 » by Crunch 99 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:11 am

Ranking the GMs across three categories, draft picks, trades and free-agent signings, and then ranking GMs by overall performance:
https://sports.yahoo.com/the-danny-ainge-system-using-sabermetrics-to-rate-every-nba-teams-top-executive-222824265.html
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#23 » by TNJazz » Sat Sep 16, 2023 1:24 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/272962/Jarred-Vanderbilt-Lakers-Agree-To-Four-Year-$48M-Extension

Nice to hear that Vando got a favorable extension with the lakes. I loved his enthusiasm, energy and work ethic during his short stint tight the Jazz. It's too bad he didn't fit the timeline for this team, but he did help establish a strong toughness for the group by never giving up. Glad he is being recognized for those hard to measure aspects he brings.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#24 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:12 pm

TNJazz wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/272962/Jarred-Vanderbilt-Lakers-Agree-To-Four-Year-$48M-Extension

Nice to hear that Vando got a favorable extension with the lakes. I loved his enthusiasm, energy and work ethic during his short stint tight the Jazz. It's too bad he didn't fit the timeline for this team, but he did help establish a strong toughness for the group by never giving up. Glad he is being recognized for those hard to measure aspects he brings.

I think V8 definitely fit the timeline of the Jazz as he's only 24 years old. The thing is that he doesn't have a clear position, though he did have significant value. He was on a bargain 3M contract, and now he's getting paid fair value. I'm happy for him, but I'd rather have Kessler starting than Vanderbilt. In the long run, the Lakers pick we got in the trade that included him could very well yield a much better player.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#25 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:46 pm

It would seem that within the next couple of years, the NBA will undergo a major changing of the guard.

Lebron- 38
CP3- 38
Horford- 37
KD- 35
Steph- 35
Brook Lopez- 35
Jimmy Butler- 34
Harden- 34
Derozen- 34
Dame- 33
Jrue Holiday-33
Dramond Green- 33
Paul George- 33
Kawhi- 32
CJ McCollum-32
Middleton- 32
Vucevic- 32
Kyrie- 31
Gobert- 31
Beall- 30
AD- 30 (seems like he is older than Lebron, though)
and a bunch of other players around 30 yrs old.

Many of these players are on teams that could be contenders this year, however, how much longer can they be high level players?
If the Jazz can build up their team over the next 2 years, the timing could be really beneficial to them.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#26 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:52 pm

Yep, timing is key. We don't need to be good right away, we can build gradually and develop\improve our players, and be ready to strike in 2-3 seasons.

vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#27 » by vryadli » Wed Oct 4, 2023 12:12 am

I think the trade to MB is a moment of truth for Lillard. If he is really for winning, not for whining (and stats starring), that is time to show it.

Greek is kind of proved that already, so my eyes are on DL. Interesting trade - and in East, so I can see on Lillard real value impartially.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#28 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Oct 4, 2023 6:28 pm

Devin Vassell, Spurs Agree To Five-Year, $156M Extension
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/273144/Devin-Vassell-Spurs-Agree-To-Five-Year-$146M-Extension

I wonder if it helps to add context to Herro's contract. I think Herro's contract is too high, but both players are at the same age and have relatively similar stats. Maybe $30M per year is the new going rate for that caliber of player.

Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#29 » by Crunch 99 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 2:40 pm

The current Las Vegas over/under for season wins for every team is below. After the Jazz won 37 games last season, Las Vegas only sees the Jazz winning 35.5 games this season. I know I am a homer, but that figure seems way too low. I think the Jazz win at least 39 games, but who knows.

https://www.vegasinsider.com/nba/odds/win-totals/#
TNJazz
Rookie

Post#30 » by TNJazz » Sat Oct 7, 2023 1:19 pm

Crunch 99 wrote:The current Las Vegas over/under for season wins for every team is below. After the Jazz won 37 games last season, Las Vegas only sees the Jazz winning 35.5 games this season. I know I am a homer, but that figure seems way too low to me. I think the Jazz win at least 39 games, but who knows.

Wow, that is interesting and a bit disrespectful, certainly locker room wall worthy. Last year with the Wemby Sweepstakes in play, they won 37. Who left that was of major consequence from that team? Who is no longer on the team that helped them win last year? Rudy Gay? :lol: I think they drafted three quality rookies and traded for upgraded vets this year and there isn't any big incentive to not have a good record with next years draft. I think they will be fighting for a play-in tournament spot and pick them winning 42.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#31 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:52 pm

TNJazz wrote:
Crunch 99 wrote:The current Las Vegas over/under for season wins for every team is below. After the Jazz won 37 games last season, Las Vegas only sees the Jazz winning 35.5 games this season. I know I am a homer, but that figure seems way too low to me. I think the Jazz win at least 39 games, but who knows.

Who left that was of major consequence from that team? Who is no longer on the team that helped them win last year? Rudy Gay? .

This is pretty disrespectful towards Mike Conely. He will certainly be missed until they find someone who can run an offense.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
TNJazz
Rookie

Post#32 » by TNJazz » Sun Oct 22, 2023 2:11 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
TNJazz wrote:

Who left that was of major consequence from that team? Who is no longer on the team that helped them win last year? Rudy Gay? .

This is pretty disrespectful towards Mike Conely. He will certainly be missed until they find someone who can run an offense.

My bad Cappy, I was referring to the end of the season and didn't take MC into consideration. No disrespect intended, I love Mike, I live in TN so was super excited when he went to the Jazz. I live 4.5 hours from Memphis but still bought tickets to his first game back. Apologies for my apparent sense of disrespect.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#33 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:33 pm

Jaden McDaniels, Wolves Agree To Five-Year, $136M Extension
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/273421/Jaden-McDaniels-Wolves-Agree-To-Five-Year-$136M-Extension

The Wolves will have to do something very soon. Their payroll is already huge and is about the get nuts. They locked themselves into a position where they are not a contender and their payroll prevents them from getting better, while we have their draft picks. They'll probably give it a year or two but eventually they'll be forced to blow things up.

vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#34 » by vryadli » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:46 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:Jaden McDaniels, Wolves Agree To Five-Year, $136M Extension
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/273421/Jaden-McDaniels-Wolves-Agree-To-Five-Year-$136M-Extension

The Wolves will have to do something very soon. Their payroll is already huge and is about the get nuts. They locked themselves into a position where they are not a contender and their payroll prevents them from getting better, while we have their draft picks. They'll probably give it a year or two but eventually they'll be forced to blow things up.

Not necessary. trading Edwards for some low profile, low ego, high BBIQ player can be enough to make them contenders. On the other hand I don't see any team with Edwrads as The Man getting The Ring any more than with Carmelo.
Crunch 99
General Manager

Post#35 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:21 pm

TNJazz wrote:
Cappy_Smurf wrote:
TNJazz wrote: Who left that was of major consequence from that team? Who is no longer on the team that helped them win last year? Rudy Gay? .

This is pretty disrespectful towards Mike Conley. He will certainly be missed until they find someone who can run an offense.

My bad Cappy, I was referring to the end of the season and didn't take MC into consideration. No disrespect intended, I love Mike, I live in TN so was super excited when he went to the Jazz. I live 4.5 hours from Memphis but still bought tickets to his first game back. Apologies for my apparent sense of disrespect.

This ↑ got me wondering what the Jazz record was with and without Conley playing last season. The Jazz were 22-21, 51.2 win %, when Conley played, and 15-24, 38.5 win %, when Conley didn't play. Conley's astute, veteran leadership certainly made a difference, but not all of the of that win percentage difference can be attributed to Conley.

Given Conley's age and the Jazz starting a rebuild, I am not upset about the Jazz moving on to search for their next point guard.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#36 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:05 pm

Keep in mind that the Jazz deliberately tanked after the Conley trade so the numbers are a bit skewed.

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#37 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Oct 28, 2023 3:41 pm

A podcast hosting Emmanuel Mudiay. This is a short snippet, but the whole thing is very interesting. He talks about the Jazz in various places, this is a short clip specifically about the Jazz and his explanation of why Conley had a bad first season with the Jazz.

A Story of when the Utah Jazz told Donovan Mitchell and Mike Conley not to shoot midrange jump shots

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#38 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Nov 4, 2023 8:26 am

I saw the design of play-in courts a few days ago and it looked horrible, but now that I've seen them live in a game setting, I must say they are even more hideous than I thought. It's like the NBA doesn't want people to watch their games.

TNJazz
Rookie

Post#39 » by TNJazz » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:37 pm

While I haven't seen other in play courts, the few minutes of highlights they showed from the Memphis - Portland game were eye popping ridiculous. All the red was so distracting and painful to look at. Not sure what the Jazz court will be but I have heard it's a lot of purple.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#40 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Nov 5, 2023 2:51 pm

TNJazz wrote:While I haven't seen other in play courts, the few minutes of highlights they showed from the Memphis - Portland game were eye popping ridiculous. All the red was so distracting and painful to look at. Not sure what the Jazz court will be but I have heard it's a lot of purple.

It is indeed a lot of purple. The fundamental design choice for all the courts is terrible. It is so hard to watch.

Designs for all 30 teams (Jazz is on the bottom row):
https://www.nba.com/news/nba-debuts-in-season-tournament-courts-for-all-30-teams

Return to Utah Jazz