Around The NBA, 2023-2024 Season

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Re: Around The NBA, 2023-2024 Season 

Post#61 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:03 pm

red4hf wrote:His history is not something I want the Jazz to be associated with.....

Playing devil's advocate here: the Jazz and the fans were fine with Malone's history, for example. Should we care about the product on the floor or about player's personal lives?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#62 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:14 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:His history is not something I want the Jazz to be associated with.....

Playing devil's advocate here: the Jazz and the fans were fine with Malone's history, for example. Should we care about the product on the floor or about player's personal lives?

Honestly, I don't care if fans are okay with it, I would not be following the team anymore if we traded for Bridges (or Giddey).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#63 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:42 am

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Honestly, I don't care if fans are okay with it, I would not be following the team anymore if we traded for Bridges (or Giddey).

Fair enough, to each his own, as they say. Though the Giddey thing is still under investigation. Personally, I wouldn't want Giddey for other reasons like his fit with George and his inefficiency.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#64 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:24 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Fair enough, to each his own, as they say. Though the Giddey thing is still under investigation. Personally, I wouldn't want Giddey for other reasons like his fit with George and his inefficiency.

If Giddey gets cleared, then sure, I like his game. But choosing to trade for someone who has multiple episodes of domestic violence is pretty gross.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#65 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:28 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

If Giddey gets cleared, then sure, I like his game. But choosing to trade for someone who has multiple episodes of domestic violence is pretty gross.

Sure, but I'd argue there's gross everywhere, and much of it is being suppressed by each of the 30 teams every day. In the end, it's a bit like prison--if you served your time and paid the price that was decided, should you pay it again once you're out of jail?

babyjax13
RealGM

Post#66 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:35 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Fair enough, to each his own, as they say. Though the Giddey thing is still under investigation. Personally, I wouldn't want Giddey for other reasons like his fit with George and his inefficiency.

Sure, but I'd argue there's gross everywhere, and much of it is being suppressed by each of the 30 teams every day. In the end, it's a bit like prison--if you served your time and paid the price that was decided, should you pay it again once you're out of jail?

I am all for second chances, but Bridges violated a restraining order in October and thew a pool ball at the car his kids were in. He has had enough chances in the NBA, he doesn't need to be back.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#67 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:59 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:If Giddey gets cleared, then sure, I like his game. But choosing to trade for someone who has multiple episodes of domestic violence is pretty gross.

I am all for second chances, but Bridges violated a restraining order in October and thew a pool ball at the car his kids were in. He has had enough chances in the NBA, he doesn't need to be back.

But he will be back, is the point, regardless of our feelings. From the NBA's perspective (not any moral perspective, certainly not my own), he paid the price by serving his suspension. He's now in the NBA again and will have suitors. It's not that it's up to the Jazz if he gets a second chance since he'll be signed by another team if they won't. If the situation was that he'd be out of the league because the Jazz are the only team willing to offer him a contract, then sure, don't offer him anything and let him play in China. But that's not going to be the case. In the end, I don't think we should look at athletes as role models for anything other than maybe work ethic, but certainly not moral virtue. Hell, look at what just happened to Ant Edwards the other day.

babyjax13
RealGM

Post#68 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:06 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Sure, but I'd argue there's gross everywhere, and much of it is being suppressed by each of the 30 teams every day. In the end, it's a bit like prison--if you served your time and paid the price that was decided, should you pay it again once you're out of jail?

But he will be back, is the point, regardless of our feelings. From the NBA's perspective (not any moral perspective, certainly not my own), he paid the price by serving his suspension. He's now in the NBA again and will have suitors. It's not that it's up to the Jazz if he gets a second chance since he'll be signed by another team if they won't. If the situation was that he'd be out of the league because the Jazz are the only team willing to offer him a contract, then sure, don't offer him anything and let him play in China. But that's not going to be the case. In the end, I don't think we should look at athletes as role models for anything other than maybe work ethic, but certainly not moral virtue. Hell, look at what just happened to Ant Edwards the other day.

My main point is that I don't want him on the Jazz. If another organization want to make that choice they can.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#69 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:11 pm

babyjax13 wrote:My main point is that I don't want him on the Jazz. If another organization want to make that choice they can.

Fair enough, can't argue with that.

But since we're already discussing the gross part of the business, here is another blast from the past. Unfortunately, gross is everywhere.

J.J. Redick And His Ex-Girlfriend Had An Abortion Contract
https://deadspin.com/j-j-redick-and-his-ex-girlfriend-had-an-abortion-contr-883029608
https://deadspin.com/how-j-j-redicks-abortion-contract-was-conceived-912727291
https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/tarnished-twenty/is-jj-redicks-alleged-abortion-contract-legal/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2375411/J-J-Redicks-abortion-contract-girlfriend-revealed-promised-dating-year-ended-pregnancy-hed-pay-25k.html

babyjax13
RealGM

Post#70 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:27 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:My main point is that I don't want him on the Jazz. If another organization want to make that choice they can.

Fair enough, can't argue with that.

But since we're already discussing the gross part of the business, here is another blast from the past. Unfortunately, gross is everywhere.

J.J. Redick And His Ex-Girlfriend Had An Abortion Contract
https://deadspin.com/j-j-redick-and-his-ex-girlfriend-had-an-abortion-contr-883029608
https://deadspin.com/how-j-j-redicks-abortion-contract-was-conceived-912727291
https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/tarnished-twenty/is-jj-redicks-alleged-abortion-contract-legal/
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2375411/J-J-Redicks-abortion-contract-girlfriend-revealed-promised-dating-year-ended-pregnancy-hed-pay-25k.html

I'm not sure what this is achieving. Bridges latest actions were in October. Edwards actions were embarassing and bad but we don't have allegations that he beat his girlfriend. The articles about JJ are bad. Fortunately he isn't on the Jazz. I remember the Robert Whaley days, I'm not naive to think we are immune to this, but if you trade for someone with this in their past it shouldn't be a second offense from two months ago.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#71 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:35 pm

babyjax13 wrote:I'm not sure what this is achieving. Bridges latest actions were in October. Edwards actions were embarassing and bad but we don't have allegations that he beat his girlfriend. The articles about JJ are bad. Fortunately he isn't on the Jazz. I remember the Robert Whaley days, I'm not naive to think we are immune to this, but if you trade for someone with this in their past it shouldn't be a second offense from two months ago.

Well, I wasn't really suggesting we should trade for Bridges, more like that we should consider him in free agency because the Hornets aren't expected to keep him and he'll be a UFA who could potentially be had for significantly below his value as a player. By then, it'd be about a year from the last event, if that even matters at all.

What did the Redick articles achieve? Nothing, really, other than to demonstrate that gross is everywhere, don't idolize athletes, and that romance is dead, I guess.

babyjax13
RealGM

Post#72 » by babyjax13 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:37 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:I'm not sure what this is achieving. Bridges latest actions were in October. Edwards actions were embarassing and bad but we don't have allegations that he beat his girlfriend. The articles about JJ are bad. Fortunately he isn't on the Jazz. I remember the Robert Whaley days, I'm not naive to think we are immune to this, but if you trade for someone with this in their past it shouldn't be a second offense from two months ago.

Well, I wasn't really suggesting we should trade for Bridges, more like that we should consider him in free agency because the Hornets aren't expected to keep him and he'll be a UFA who could potentially be had for significantly below his value as a player. By then, it'd be about a year from the last event, if that even matters at all.

What did the Redick articles achieve? Nothing, really, other than to demonstrate that gross is everywhere, don't idolize athletes, and that romance is dead, I guess.

I'd probably be on board for Bridges if he had a few years of not abusing his children's mother. Enough time to know that even if he still has problems he is better about managing them and is hopefully a more mature, better person.

JColl
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#73 » by red4hf » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:09 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

Perfectly legit question, some things you can overlook, domestic violence and rape are not among them..... Jazz should cut ties with Malone, I've said that before.....
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#74 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:30 pm

red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Perfectly legit question, some things you can overlook, domestic violence and rape are not among them..... Jazz should cut ties with Malone, I've said that before.....

Sure, but it's easy for us to say this now that he's been retired forever and there aren't really any stakes involved. His past was known while he was still playing and I honestly don't know if any Jazz fan was calling to cut ties with him back then, when he was MVP and leading the team to the finals. Which makes this question all the more relevant. Why haven't we as Jazz fans or the entire league call for his ouster back then? It was common knowledge even then. Which is why it looks like people care more about the product on the floor than player's personal lives as long as the results are good. Not making any judgements, just an observation.

red4hf

Post#75 » by red4hf » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:45 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Sure, but it's easy for us to say this now that he's been retired forever and there aren't really any stakes involved. His past was known while he was still playing and I honestly don't know if any Jazz fan was calling to cut ties with him back then, when he was MVP and leading the team to the finals. Which makes this question all the more relevant. Why haven't we as Jazz fans or the entire league call for his ouster back then? It was common knowledge even then. Which is why it looks like people care more about the product on the floor than player's personal lives as long as the results are good. Not making any judgements, just an observation.

I honestly can't remember if i knew about it until after he retired...... Not sure what I would have said at the time had I known...... I think you also have to look at the incidents themselves, and evaluate each one..... But I get your point......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#76 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:21 pm

Read on Twitter

red4hf

Post#77 » by red4hf » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:56 pm

Good trade for both teams...... Hopefully, this kicks off a lively trade season.......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#78 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Jan 9, 2024 10:28 am

Morant is out for the season with a shoulder injury, and we've seen that this season the Grizzlies aren't doing well without him. That's potentially one less competitor for the play-in. Maybe the Jazz can make it after all?

ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#79 » by ForeverRDjazz » Tue Jan 9, 2024 3:46 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Giddy is 20 and the young lady is 17? I don't know what he did other than being with someone under legal age? Now if he's beating her the league needs to remove him like Draymond until things are settled. What I've read I didn't see anything violent tho. Not locking up a person who's 18 for being with a person who's 17. Now 12 and under I have a huge problem with that. I'me wondering if people are looking for a payday?
babyjax13
RealGM

Post#80 » by babyjax13 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 4:40 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Fair enough, to each his own, as they say. Though the Giddey thing is still under investigation. Personally, I wouldn't want Giddey for other reasons like his fit with George and his inefficiency.

Giddy is 20 and the young lady is 17? I don't know what he did other than being with someone under legal age? Now if he's beating her the league needs to remove him like Draymond until things are settled. What I've read I didn't see anything violent tho. Not locking up a person who's 18 for being with a person who's 17. Now 12 and under I have a huge problem with that. I'me wondering if people are looking for a payday?

The domestic violence comment was about Bridges. Like I said on Giddey, I would wait for it to be resolved. I've seen 17, I've seen 15. Frankly, we don't know (and in Oklahoma, 15 would be a crime while 17 would not be, just a bit cringey, imo).

JColl

Return to Utah Jazz