2024 NBA Draft Prospects

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospects 

Post#141 » by bkohler » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:30 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:I would expect the Jazz to try to trade up for Sarr and to trade Kessler as well.

I don't think Hardy likes Kessler at all and wants him gone. His schemes are a complete mismatch with Kessler.

That is interesting. I don't catch that at all with the Hardy/Kessler relationship.

The only reason I'd move Kessler is because I think he might have the value needed to grab a player at a position of need and currently plays the most replaceable positional archetype in the NBA. If you can move Kessler for a wing/guard of similar age/contract status or include him in a larger package, I think it makes sense.

As for why I'd go for the base hit instead of the traditional swing, I think it all comes back to this year's draft being somewhat uniquely weak. I usually am all in favor of the high upside swings, but I think the reality is that the bust percentage of many of the higher picks in this draft will be higher than average relative to their draft status.

Trading down might allow you to take the swing with less expectations and financial commitment but still retain the value of a potential upside swing. I view someone like Clingan as having a high floor (hence the base hit) but about the same potential for significant upside as most of the draft.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,024

Post#142 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:59 pm

I haven't dug too deep into the draft yet, but this seems like a draft where you can justify drafting need as opposed to BPA, as there is little consensus as to which are the best players this year. I saw an article recently that talked about a weak past draft where that occurred and the results were pretty good for teams drafting for need.

Dink Pate, I believe, is petitioning the NBA to enter the draft as the Ignite GL team is dissolving. Tony Jones seems to think he has a really high ceiling, but would need some time. Otherwise, it seems that even the lottery picks are most likely role players, perhaps even bench players, this draft.

Of course, the Jazz decided to tank half way through the season, resulting in the pick not conveying this year to OKC and them most likely not being in play for a top 4 pick, in the event Pate were to be eligible.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#143 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:07 pm

FJS wrote:
FJS wrote:I don't use to write in this thread since I don't watch any NCAA game, so I don't have any opinion in prospects, but I think Jazz should draft with their later picks acquired recently Juan Núñez.
The kid has played with Spanish NT and is a real deal as PG.

I said it a pair of months ago. Since looks he is gonna go undrafted I would draft him with out later pick. The guy had the keys of pg in the last WC and did fairly well. And I say that when we have had several talent PG's in Spain (Rubio, Calderón, Rodríguez, Raul López) I think he deserves at least a try. A true PG.

How do you feel he compares to Topic?
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#144 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:08 pm

Hoops Addict wrote:Stephon Castle looks good.

https://www.nbadraft.net/players/stephon-castle/

The Jazz need a dog, and he looks like he'll be one. If the shooting comes around, he could be the steal of the draft.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#145 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:10 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
FJS wrote:
FJS wrote:I don't use to write in this thread since I don't watch any NCAA game, so I don't have any opinion in prospects, but I think Jazz should draft with their later picks acquired recently Juan Núñez.
The kid has played with Spanish NT and is a real deal as PG.

I said it a pair of months ago. Since looks he is gonna go undrafted I would draft him with out later pick. The guy had the keys of pg in the last WC and did fairly well. And I say that when we have had several talent PG's in Spain (Rubio, Calderón, Rodríguez, Raul López) I think he deserves at least a try. A true PG.

Nunez is ranked 24th by ESPN, not sure why you think he would go undrafted?

If you look at a half dozen mock drafts, or even 10, he probably shows up right now in only a couple of them. If ESPN has him in the 1st round, that will change over time.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach

Post#146 » by SoCalJazzFan » Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:12 pm

Hoops Addict wrote:Isaish Collier was thought of being the #1 high school player last year. He had a slow start, but is coming around and expected to be picked around #11. Do the Jazzwant Collier......a QUICK PG

Collier was really disappointing at USC this past year. If there was such as thing as negative defense, he has it. Very good passer, but his outside shot is not great either and he has relied on his size and strength in the past, usually to get to the rim, which he won't be able to in the NBA. It will be interesting to see what happens with him. I'm out since we already have Keyonte, although I am open to a more traditional PG if that PG is decidedly better than Keyonte.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,303

Post#147 » by babyjax13 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:37 am

The Dink Pate situation is really interesting. He turned 18 in March so usually wouldn't be draft eligible, but because of the Ignite situation they might allow a waiver. He had some impressive performances in the gleague at 17 years old and can handle the ball pretty well for his size. I think the shot is going to improve (he has a weird dip in his shot but it looks pretty fixable) and there will be lots of physical development. I'd take him with our late first if he lasts.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 185

Post#148 » by WinterSoldier » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:20 am

babyjax13 wrote:The Dink Pate situation is really interesting. He turned 18 in March so usually wouldn't be draft eligible, but because of the Ignite situation they might allow a waiver. He had some impressive performances in the gleague at 17 years old and can handle the ball pretty well for his size. I think the shot is going to improve (he has a weird dip in his shot but it looks pretty fixable) and there will be lots of physical development. I'd take him with our late first if he lasts.

If he's eligible I can see him rising much like Coulibaly and Sharpe did the last few years. In a draft like this I wouldn't be opposed to taking him at #8.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,262

Post#149 » by Catchall » Fri Apr 12, 2024 6:03 am

If Buzelis shoots well in workouts, I'd expect he goes in the top 4. The combination of length and versatility is going to be appealing.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 740

Post#150 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:39 pm

Buzelis has short arms, he's just tall.

He's also the only guy other than Collier in this draft who just plays like a huge loser out there. Body language sucks, motor runs at 30%.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#151 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:11 pm

My projected Jazz big board:

1. Sarr
2. Buzelis
3. Cody Williams
4. Sheppard
5. Collier
6. Castle
7. Topic
8. Ja'Kobe Walter
bkohler
Rookie

Post#152 » by bkohler » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:35 pm

I think Sheppard is someone Ainge will fall in love with. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not I'm just calling it.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#153 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:10 pm

Also, you should really be expecting the Jazz to take Justin Edwards with one of their later picks.

Ainge is obsessed with overweight prospects.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#154 » by bkohler » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:27 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Also, you should really be expecting the Jazz to take Justin Edwards with one of their later picks.

Weirdly, it makes sense; weight is one of the few variables that an NBA team can really help control as long as the player is willing to buy in. If someone being overweight is a major downside, that means it's something that can be more easily fixed than something like a jump shot. But it also has the potential to become more of an issue later. See Big Baby Davis as an example.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,466

Post#155 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:32 pm

Ainge will put him on the Kendrick plan.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Post#156 » by AGE1207 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:09 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Also, you should really be expecting the Jazz to take Justin Edwards with one of their later picks.

Ainge should like me than, pity I am not really much of a prospect 8-)

Return to Utah Jazz