2024 NBA Draft Prospects

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

2024 NBA Draft Prospects 

Post#1 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:32 pm

This draft is supposedly quite weak but you never know how things will shape up. The Jazz also owe a top-10 protected pick to OKC from the Favors trade (thanks again for that, Lindsey).
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Jazz Dog
Jazz Forum GTS Commissioner
And1: 264

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospects 

Post#2 » by Jazz Dog » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:49 pm

At any point would that pick turn to a second round etc?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Oct 19, 2023 1:59 pm

Jazz Dog wrote:At any point would that pick turn to a second round etc?

I think it expires if not conveyed after 2026. In 2026 we'll keep the best pick out of our own (1-8 protected), The Cavs pick and the Wolves pick and convey one of the lesser ones to OKC.

1-10 protected in 2024
1-10 protected in 2025
1-8 protected in 2026

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#4 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Oct 22, 2023 1:24 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:This draft is supposedly quite weak but you never know how things will shape up. The Jazz also owe a top-10 protected pick to OKC from the Favors trade (thanks again for that, Lindsey).

Was reading Favors was working out with Bulls along with Whitney and both players were waive yesterday. Yeah Lindsey sucked and we still feel it.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,256

Post#5 » by Catchall » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:15 pm

Every year, I'm looking for long, athletic wings with ball skills. This year so far, Justin Edwards at Kentucky looks like he might fit the bill. Just need to see more handle and passing.

He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#6 » by Catchall » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:09 pm

I think the Jazz should play their young guys this year, rack up losses, and try to draft one of Ron Holland, Alex Sarr, Matas Buzelis or Justin Edwards. There's no point fighting for the 10th seed just to win one or two post-season games and hand the #12 pick to the Thunder.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,033

Post#7 » by mg » Fri Oct 27, 2023 3:28 pm

Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz should play their young guys this year, rack up losses, and try to draft one of Ron Holland, Alex Sarr, Matas Buzelis or Justin Edwards. There's no point fighting for the 10th seed just to win one or two post-season games and hand the #12 pick to the Thunder.

Agreed. It's only one more season of pain after trading Don and Rudy last year. This team is a mish mash of parts that really don't fit with no real #1 or even 1A to partner with Lauri. I like Clarkson but if he's your #2 offensive guy then you are not a legit playoff team. There's also not enough playmaking or shooting.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#8 » by Catchall » Fri Oct 27, 2023 4:19 pm

mg wrote:
Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz should play their young guys this year, rack up losses, and try to draft one of Ron Holland, Alex Sarr, Matas Buzelis or Justin Edwards. There's no point fighting for the 10th seed just to win one or two post-season games and hand the #12 pick to the Thunder.

Agreed. It's only one more season of pain after trading Don and Rudy last year. This team is a mish mash of parts that really don't fit with no real #1 or even 1A to partner with Lauri. I like Clarkson but if he's your #2 offensive guy then you are not a legit playoff team. There's also not enough playmaking or shooting.

Jazz are running a pawn shop right now, looking for bargains on the trade market. They're not much of a cohesive team, let alone one that's trying to win.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#9 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:46 am

Topic and Sarr and Collier are the clear top 3 guys but would go 6-10 in a normal draft.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,300

Post#10 » by babyjax13 » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:43 pm

I don't see that as the clear top 3 at all. It's way too early to make definitive statements like that, and there are some other nice prospects who should be pushing that high lotto area (Edwards, Castle, maybe Buzelis or Holland).

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Catchall
RealGM

Post#11 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:44 pm

A few guys I like for the Jazz:

** Sarr - Mostly a versatile defensive presence, but has enough touch to develop offensively; slightly more fluid than Evan Mobley, imo.

** Topic - He may be a prodigy given his feel and production as an 18 yo in Europe. If he's really 6'6", he's a no-brainer for any team looking for a lead ball handler. Keyonte George *can* play point guard, and maybe he's the type of player the Jazz envision at the 1 going forward, but I think Keyonte has a path where he plays off ball for a lot of possessions and gets to focus on scoring in more of a Devin Booker-type role.

** Risarcher - Intriguing skillset and two-way versatility for a 6'9" wing. He doesn't have a first step and probably won't be a primary scorer, but could be similar to Gordon Hayward as a versatile glue guy and floor spacer. I love his consistent motor and his ability to make plays at full speed. Jumper seems to be falling for him.

** Garway Dual - Has physical tools like a Dejounte Murray, has good defensive instincts and guards point of attack. Shooting is a work in progress, but I could see him get there. Jazz need guys who can beat their defender and create an advantage. Dual stands out as a guy who can do that. He can also probably guard up to 3.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#12 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:29 pm

Holland has been disappointing so far. First of all, he's about the same size as Bennedict Mathurin (e.g., 6'6" / 205 lbs). His athletic advantages and physicality aren't standing out at the pro level, imo, and that's on both sides of the ball. Unless he shows a compelling NBA skillset, he could fall out of the top 5 by draft day.

I was optimistic about Justin Edwards coming into the season. Maybe he's taking some time to adjust. So far, I haven't seen him do anything that Kelly Oubre didn't do at Kansas. I'm not seeing much creation off the dribble. I'm not seeing much passing. The shooting hasn't been there for him either.

I like the idea of Stephon Castle. However, he plays slow, and his athleticism is pretty average. He's reminding me of Troy Brown Jr. from Oregon, in that he can play PG, but would need to prove he can run a team at NBA speed.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#13 » by Catchall » Thu Nov 23, 2023 9:33 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Topic and Sarr and Collier are the clear top 3 guys but would go 6-10 in a normal draft.

There are questions about Topic's rim finishing and defense that could hold him out of the top 3. Personally, I'd have him top 5 though.

Ja'Kobe Walter has some potential to get as high as top 3. He's not super athletic, but he's just a solid 2-way guard with bonafide shooting. Every team could use a guy like that.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Nov 25, 2023 5:33 am

Sarr is another offensive 0 shotblocker who would never get minutes for the Jazz.

We already almost certainly have to trade one of Taylor Hendricks or Walker Kessler because they provide nothing on offense while overlapping on defense. Adding Sarr who is... basically just Walker Kessler but low motor and more athletic... I don't know. We would be forced to trade Kessler as well.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#15 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:24 am

How has Matas Buzelis looked so far?

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#16 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:51 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:How has Matas Buzelis looked so far?

Has missed all games due to an ankle injury. Returns today.
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 185

Post#17 » by WinterSoldier » Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:51 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Jazz Dog wrote:At any point would that pick turn to a second round etc?

I think it expires if not conveyed after 2026. In 2026 we'll keep the best pick out of our own (1-8 protected), The Cavs pick and the Wolves pick and convey one of the lesser ones to OKC.

1-10 protected in 2024
1-10 protected in 2025
1-8 protected in 2026

https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/team

https://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/DraftTrades/Future/Jazz.htm

The pick transfers to a 2028 second round pick if not conveyed in 2026.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#18 » by Catchall » Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:59 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Sarr is another offensive 0 shotblocker who would never get minutes for the Jazz.

We already almost certainly have to trade one of Taylor Hendricks or Walker Kessler because they provide nothing on offense while overlapping on defense. Adding Sarr who is... basically just Walker Kessler but low motor and more athletic... I don't know. We would be forced to trade Kessler as well.

Sarr is more switchy on the perimeter and should be a better outside shooter. I think Sarr could play some minutes at the 4 as well. Think Evan Mobley.

If I look at this draft, I think it's strength near the top is with lead guards -- Collier, Topic, Castle, maybe Dual and Wagner. I also like Buzelis and Risarcher as versatile wings.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#19 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:33 am

Big board so far (very likely to change)

1. Collier: Deron Williams with bad handles
2. Topic: LaMelo with much less volume
3. Sarr: Nic Claxton
4. Ryan Dunn: OG Anunoby
5. Dillingham: Trae Young without the flopping skills
6. Ja'Kobe: Standard 3D guy, but has an outside shot of being something more
Catchall
RealGM

Post#20 » by Catchall » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:31 am

So far, I'd say Topic is as likely to become an All Star as any player in this draft. I say that knowing that there aren't many players in this draft showing All Star potential. If Topic really hits, however, he could be a lead guard in the mold of a James Harden, hopefully without the flopping and whining.

I think he should be a lock in the top 5 and probably should go top 3.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Utah Jazz