2024 NBA Draft Prospects

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospects 

Post#61 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:08 pm

Filipowski needs to be much more impactful than that offensively to make up for his lack of shot blocking. Otherwise he's not a very relevant player in the NBA.

Getting an average center in the NBA is very easy. Getting a slightly below average center is even easier.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#62 » by Catchall » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:16 am

I think the Jazz are going to finish the season something like 7-17 from here to end with about 34 wins. They should be able to tank their way to the 8th pick in the draft order, sneaking by Houston, Atlanta and possibly Toronto.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#63 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:18 pm

Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz are going to finish the season something like 7-17 from here to end with about 34 wins. They should be able to tank their way to the 8th pick in the draft order, sneaking by Houston, Atlanta and possibly Toronto.

Atlanta is going to win like 3 more games the rest of the season with Trae Young out.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#64 » by AingesBurner » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:27 pm

Catchall wrote:I think the Jazz are going to finish the season something like 7-17 from here to end with about 34 wins. They should be able to tank their way to the 8th pick in the draft order, sneaking by Houston, Atlanta and possibly Toronto.

The only reason for us to tank in this draft is that there will be a star player available during the summer and we need some ammo.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#65 » by red4hf » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:00 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Atlanta is going to win like 3 more games the rest of the season with Trae Young out.

Don't be so sure...... I think they'll be just fine.......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#66 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:25 pm

red4hf wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

'Fine' is a relative term. They've been sucking with him too. Maybe they'll go on a run without him?
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#67 » by red4hf » Mon Feb 26, 2024 11:12 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

'Fine' is a relative term. They've been sucking with him too. Maybe they'll go on a run without him?

You're right, when I say fine I mean they won't be any worse.....
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#68 » by Catchall » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:48 pm

Current Lottery: Topic, Sarr, Risacher, Holland, Williams, Buzelis, Knecht, Sheppard, Salaun, Dillingham, George, Furphy, Smith, Filipowski/Walter
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#69 » by bkohler » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:48 am

So many of those players I’d love…. with the 15th ish pick in the draft. This is going to be the year we win the lottery when there’s not a huge difference between 1 and 15.
NordicNirvana
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#70 » by NordicNirvana » Wed Mar 6, 2024 8:49 pm

I think Dillon Jones would be an awesome fit for this Jazz team. Hoping he is available with our late first rounder.
Jampod
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#71 » by Jampod » Thu Mar 7, 2024 5:00 pm

Praying to the basketball gods that we finally get some lottery luck this off-season.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#72 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Mar 7, 2024 7:17 pm

Jampod wrote:Praying to the basketball gods that we finally get some lottery luck this off-season.

It's probably the worst draft in recent memory to get lucky in, in term of getting a high pick. I'd rather be 'unlucky' and pick 10th or even not at all and save our luck for future drafts.

It feels like getting lucky in this draft would be unlucky since it's supposed to be so bad.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Jampod
Bench Warmer

Post#73 » by Jampod » Fri Mar 8, 2024 3:55 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Jampod wrote:Praying to the basketball gods that we finally get some lottery luck this off-season.

It's probably the worst draft in recent memory to get lucky in, in term of getting a high pick. I'd rather be 'unlucky' and pick 10th or even not at all and save our luck for future drafts.

It feels like getting lucky in this draft would be unlucky since it's supposed to be so bad.

I can see some arguments for conveying the pick this year. However, unless we can somehow trade for Luka in a year or two, it’s going to be a long rebuild. Finding hidden talent in the draft has always been something the Jazz do fairly well.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#74 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Mar 8, 2024 4:37 pm

Jampod wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I can see some arguments for conveying the pick this year. However, unless we can somehow trade for Luka in a year or two, it’s going to be a long rebuild. Finding hidden talent in the draft has always been something the Jazz do fairly well.

I agree, but then do we really need a high pick to find a hidden talent? If a player is picked in the lottery his talent isn't so hidden. I'd say the late first and early second the Jazz got in the trade fit the definition of finding hidden talent better.

And since this isn't a top-heavy draft with no apparent franchise player, it would feel like a waste to finally get lucky in this of all drafts. If we're talking lottery, I'd rather just keep the 10th pick rather than finally get lucky since the talent is pretty much equal. Maybe it isn't a rational reason but I'd rather 'keep' my luck rather than 'wasting' it on this draft.

Jampod
Bench Warmer

Post#75 » by Jampod » Fri Mar 8, 2024 6:25 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Jampod wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:It's probably the worst draft in recent memory to get lucky in, in term of getting a high pick. I'd rather be 'unlucky' and pick 10th or even not at all and save our luck for future drafts.

I agree, but then do we really need a high pick to find a hidden talent? If a player is picked in the lottery his talent isn't so hidden. I'd say the late first and early second the Jazz got in the trade fit the definition of finding hidden talent better.

And since this isn't a top-heavy draft with no apparent franchise player, it would feel like a waste to finally get lucky in this of all drafts. If we're talking lottery, I'd rather just keep the 10th pick rather than finally get lucky since the talent is pretty much equal. Maybe it isn't a rational reason but I'd rather 'keep' my luck rather than 'wasting' it on this draft.

I think it depends on how the draft shapes up as well as how teams before us draft. There could be a lot of variability in the lottery, and a player could fall to us or just the opposite. If, say, a player like Alex Sarr is really comparable to Nic Claxton, and the Jazz draft him at 2 or 3, then that’s a win.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#76 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Mar 8, 2024 6:32 pm

Jampod wrote:I think it depends on how the draft shapes up as well as how teams before us draft. There could be a lot of variability in the lottery, and a player could fall to us or just the opposite. If, say, a player like Alex Sarr is really comparable to Nic Claxton, and the Jazz draft him at 2 or 3, then that’s a win.

The fact that a Nic Claxton-like player would be considered a win at #2 or #3 (because he is projected to go #1) just shows the quality of this draft. If that's what on offer, you may as well stay at 10 and be just as likely to find similar talent.

Besides, if you're drafting Sarr then you're trading Kessler. Do you want to pick at #2 or #3 just to draft a player at Kessler's position?

Jampod
Bench Warmer

Post#77 » by Jampod » Fri Mar 8, 2024 7:27 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
Jampod wrote:I think it depends on how the draft shapes up as well as how teams before us draft. There could be a lot of variability in the lottery, and a player could fall to us or just the opposite. If, say, a player like Alex Sarr is really comparable to Nic Claxton, and the Jazz draft him at 2 or 3, then that’s a win.

The fact that a Nic Claxton-like player would be considered a win at #2 or #3 (because he is projected to go #1) just shows the quality of this draft. If that's what on offer, you may as well stay at 10 and be just as likely to find similar talent.

Besides, if you're drafting Sarr then you're trading Kessler. Do you want to pick at #2 or #3 just to draft a player at Kessler's position?

I’m using the Alex Sarr scenario as an example. I’m not necessarily saying we’d want to draft him. But yeah, your point makes sense, and it’s probably the most likely. However, we don’t know how Zanik and Ainge see this draft, and I’d also hate to see us try to tank in the latter half in the season, only for our pick to land at #11. It would feel like a loss, and that the intention Ainge and Zanik are trying to accomplish ( soft tank strategy) would be disorganized.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#78 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Mar 8, 2024 8:01 pm

Jampod wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

I’m using the Alex Sarr scenario as an example. I’m not necessarily saying we’d want to draft him. But yeah, your point makes sense, and it’s probably the most likely. However, we don’t know how Zanik and Ainge see this draft, and I’d also hate to see us try to tank in the latter half in the season, only for our pick to land at #11. It would feel like a loss, and that the intention Ainge and Zanik are trying to accomplish ( soft tank strategy) would be disorganized.

It's the same level of talent though, which is the point. For what it's worth, Zanik and Ainge seem to agree with your assessment. They chose to tank so there must be some players they like in the top-10 range.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#79 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Mar 8, 2024 8:56 pm

I look back on last year's draft, and I have to wonder if Leonard Miller and GG Jackson, both 2nd rounders last year, wouldn't be top 10 this year.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#80 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Mar 8, 2024 10:51 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:I look back on last year's draft, and I have to wonder if Leonard Miller and GG Jackson, both 2nd rounders last year, wouldn't be top 10 this year.

That was part of the rationale of drafting them last season. You could get them with a low pick back then and if you wait a year they might be considered much higher based on an additional year of development and a weak draft. Memphis basically drafted a would-be top-10 guy at #45.

Return to Utah Jazz