2024 NBA Draft Prospects

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,256

Re: 2024 NBA Draft Prospects 

Post#21 » by Catchall » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:43 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Big board so far (very likely to change)

1. Collier: Deron Williams with bad handles
2. Topic: LaMelo with much less volume
3. Sarr: Nic Claxton
4. Ryan Dunn: OG Anunoby
5. Dillingham: Trae Young without the flopping skills
6. Ja'Kobe: Standard 3D guy, but has an outside shot of being something more

My attempt at some early comps:

Collier - Effectively the Baron Davis of this draft.
Topic - Baby James Harden -- He needs the consistent jump shot, but I think he'll get it. He's barely 18.
Sarr - I'll go with the Jaren Jackson Jr. or Evan Mobley, though he needs offensive development to fulfill those comps.
Risarcher - I think he's the Gordon Hayward of this draft. If he can add strength and some wiggle off the bounce, he could be like Jalen Johnson with a jumpshot.
Holland - Middle-class Jimmy Butler, or a more engaged Kuminga.
Cody Williams -- Aaron Afflalo, just a tough, versatile two-way player.
Justin Edwards -- Has looked like Kelly Oubre at Kansas so far.
Tyler Smith -- Looks surprisingly close to Jabari Smith from a couple years back.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#22 » by HadAnEffectHere » Tue Dec 5, 2023 12:53 pm

Sarr is way bigger than JJJ and is a much much much worse shooter.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#23 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Dec 5, 2023 1:40 pm

This draft looks really weak. If the Jazz were to lose their pick to OKC, this draft seems like the one to do it in.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#24 » by Catchall » Tue Dec 5, 2023 6:14 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:This draft looks really weak. If the Jazz were to lose their pick to OKC, this draft seems like the one to do it in.

Even if the Jazz can't draft a superstar in this draft, they're in position to get a solid contributor. Given where the Jazz are in their rebuild, that's still worth doing, imo. I really like Topic and Risarcher for the Jazz. It's possible that Holland will develop into something good. He's at least got a good physical base to work with, even though the shooting isn't happening yet. (Drafting Holland might be comparable to drafting Kuminga and hoping he develops.)
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#25 » by Catchall » Tue Dec 5, 2023 6:16 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Sarr is way bigger than JJJ and is a much much much worse shooter.

Yeah, Sarr's shooting touch hasn't been panning out the way people hoped. If Sarr can't shoot, he'll likely fall out of the top 3.

This draft might be dominated by guards at the top--Collier, Topic, Walter, Castle.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#26 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Dec 7, 2023 1:16 pm

Is it too early to monitor the Jazz's draft pick this season? I think not. We're currently in place to get the #7 pick. The bad news (or good, depending on how you look at it) is that the Jazz's Remaining Schedule Strength is the 4th toughest. I'll leave these links here for your convenience.

https://www.tankathon.com/
https://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#27 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Dec 7, 2023 2:44 pm

Catchall wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:Sarr is way bigger than JJJ and is a much much much worse shooter.

Yeah, Sarr's shooting touch hasn't been panning out the way people hoped. If Sarr can't shoot, he'll likely fall out of the top 3.

This draft might be dominated by guards at the top--Collier, Topic, Walter, Castle.

Castle has played two games and is a PG who can't dribble, lol.

(He played a third against UNC, but only for 10 minutes as he ramps back up from an injury)

Castle is a very interesting prospect, but he's a PG with like 2/10 ball handling skills who can't even do stuff like run offense while dribbling.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#28 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:01 am

I hate this draft so much, it's just so bad.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#29 » by Catchall » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:34 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Catchall wrote:

Castle has played two games and is a PG who can't dribble, lol.

(He played a third against UNC, but only for 10 minutes as he ramps back up from an injury)

Castle is a very interesting prospect, but he's a PG with like 2/10 ball handling skills who can't even do stuff like run offense while dribbling.

Yeah, Castle may not be an on-the-ball guard. He may be more of a 2/3, like Troy Brown.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#30 » by Catchall » Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:37 am

I'm pretty low on Buzelis so far. He has very little defensive presence, he doesn't move well laterally, and he's just soft for a guy who's likely a 4. Offensively, he can spot up, he can finish some plays, and he can pass on a short-roll, but I'm not seeing a high-impact player.

I'd say Tyler Smith still looks like a better overall prospect.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Dec 11, 2023 8:14 am

Catchall wrote:I'm pretty low on Buzelis so far. He has very little defensive presence, he doesn't move well laterally, and he's just soft for a guy who's likely a 4. Offensively, he can spot up, he can finish some plays, and he can pass on a short-roll, but I'm not seeing a high-impact player.

I'd say Tyler Smith still looks like a better overall prospect.

With Buzelis and Risacher, it's like, okay, cool, their release point is very high and they'll be able to score well off cuts because they're so long.

But it's so hard to see high level defense or creation or movement shooting because they're so awkward...

So you're just getting a guy who can hit spot up threes and cut well to the basket and might be able to survive on defense.

You're not really getting a 3 and D guy, just a 3 and "hopefully not a liability" guy.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#32 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Dec 18, 2023 8:49 pm

Don't have the sources to post right now but Ainge has recently went to see the games of Topic and Cooper Flagg.

Jampod
Bench Warmer
And1: 2

Post#33 » by Jampod » Thu Jan 4, 2024 7:39 pm

Prediction for the upcoming trade deadline and draft: Ainge sells high ala Fontecchio and Olynyk, maybe even Sexton. Then trades to move up in the draft to get Nikola Topic.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#34 » by babyjax13 » Mon Jan 8, 2024 6:42 am

With where we are at in the lottery right now, I like Castle. He's had a rough start but I think a lot is injury. I wouldn't be surprised if he is consensus top 5 by the end of the season, though. I also am intrigued by Tidjane Saluan, but he may be a bit of a reach where we end up.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#35 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Jan 8, 2024 8:25 am

What Reed Sheppard is doing so far is pretty wild. Talking about efficiency. Too bad he's only 6'3.

ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#36 » by ForeverRDjazz » Mon Jan 8, 2024 5:11 pm

I'm ready to let OKC keep this pick. We have 3 guys this year that needs growth. Skipping the rookie next draft is fine because next few drafts we'll be loaded up again with youth. picks I'd love to bundle up for a player or moving up in draft.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#37 » by bkohler » Tue Jan 9, 2024 3:20 am

Yeah this draft is awful, it’s a great year to have the pick be conveyed.
Catchall
RealGM

Post#38 » by Catchall » Tue Jan 9, 2024 11:02 pm

Jampod wrote:Prediction for the upcoming trade deadline and draft: Ainge sells high ala Fontecchio and Olynyk, maybe even Sexton. Then trades to move up in the draft to get Nikola Topic.

With teams like Detroit, Charlotte, Portland and Memphis high in the lottery--teams already heavily invested in PGs, there may actually be a chance to trade up for Topic, but the price will be high to do it.

I really like Cody Williams for the Jazz. He's the long, slinky guard/wing with real ball skills in this draft. Physical tools are similar to Cam Reddish, but he's got much better IQ, handle and ability to finish plays. If he hits, he could be similar to Brandon Ingram, imo. He's going to need quite a bit of physical development though.

I like Reed Sheppard too, but he's probably going to measure out about the same size as Peyton Pritchard.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#39 » by Catchall » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:47 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:What Reed Sheppard is doing so far is pretty wild. Talking about efficiency. Too bad he's only 6'3.

He shoots the ball and defends like he's Mark Price. He needs to do more off the dribble though.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Catchall
RealGM

Post#40 » by Catchall » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:48 pm

I think the Jazz should have the opportunity to trade into the draft if they want to this year, but I'm honestly not sure who they'd target. A sneaky pick could be Garwey Dual in the late 1st or early 2nd if he comes out.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh

Return to Utah Jazz