2024 Trade Rumors

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Re: 2024 Trade Rumors 

Post#121 » by AGE1207 » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:53 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:People should view Utah tanking for the pick as a way to build the team with trades. We now have 2-3 picks in almost every draft.

But if we keep our pick OKC will own it next season and we won't be able to trade our own pick until it is conveyed. It's much better to convey it now because it is a weak draft and it allows the Jazz to trade 3 of its own picks. We also now have a late FRP and an early SRP from other teams so the need to our own picks is even less.

In short, conveying our own pick this season actually gives us more picks to trade (our own) that we aren't allowed to traded until we convey the pick to OKC.

Unless I am mistaken, I think OKC is also getting Houston’s pick this season and I sincerely doubt OKC, with the team they are currently having, would want to add 2 more rookies next season. So conveying our pick this season would actually hurt them more than benefit them.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#122 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Mar 3, 2024 4:59 pm

AGE1207 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:People should view Utah tanking for the pick as a way to build the team with trades. We now have 2-3 picks in almost every draft.

But if we keep our pick OKC will own it next season and we won't be able to trade our own pick until it is conveyed. It's much better to convey it now because it is a weak draft and it allows the Jazz to trade 3 of its own picks. We also now have a late FRP and an early SRP from other teams so the need to our own picks is even less.

In short, conveying our own pick this season actually gives us more picks to trade (our own) that we aren't allowed to traded until we convey the pick to OKC.

Unless I am mistaken, I think OKC is also getting Houston’s pick this season and I sincerely doubt OKC, with the team they are currently having, would want to add 2 more rookies next season. So conveying our pick this season would actually hurt them more than benefit them.

Well, yes, I've said it before. They'll have 3 first round picks potentially and I predict they'll have to get rid of some of them for pennies like they've done in previous drafts because they simply have too many of them. This isn't about OKC, it's about the Jazz. Get rid of this pick in a weak draft and be done with it, and get control of your own picks in the process.

Additionally, if the Jazz keep the pick, they'll have two first round picks and an early second. Do you think the Jazz will want to use all of them and add 3 more rookies to the roster? We'll be facing a similar problem OKC is facing. Better to just be done with it.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 713

Post#123 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 3, 2024 5:33 pm

The implicit argument here is that a rebuilding team would rather have three late 2025 picks (as the Jazz's pick would be bad if they added a star in the 2024 offseason) than two late 2025 picks and the guy selected 10th overall in 2024, which doesn't make sense from any angle.

Ainge fed Tony Jones some stupid line to get Jazz fans on board with his house flipping strategy and Jazz fans have bought into it way too much. Asset wise, it's much better for the Jazz to tank and keep the pick regardless if they tank again next year (most likely) or contend next year.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#124 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:24 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
AGE1207 wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:But if we keep our pick OKC will own it next season and we won't be able to trade our own pick until it is conveyed. It's much better to convey it now because it is a weak draft and it allows the Jazz to trade 3 of its own picks. We also now have a late FRP and an early SRP from other teams so the need to our own picks is even less.

Well, yes, I've said it before. They'll have 3 first round picks potentially and I predict they'll have to get rid of some of them for pennies like they've done in previous drafts because they simply have too many of them. This isn't about OKC, it's about the Jazz. Get rid of this pick in a weak draft and be done with it, and get control of your own picks in the process.

Additionally, if the Jazz keep the pick, they'll have two first round picks and an early second. Do you think the Jazz will want to use all of them and add 3 more rookies to the roster? We'll be facing a similar problem OKC is facing. Better to just be done with it.

I just see the value of lottery pick in this draft for trade purposes.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#125 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 3, 2024 6:42 pm

Guys who should be the Jazz's main targets this offseason if the Jazz don't tank:

Evan Mobley
Darius Garland
Jalen Green

Guys who the Jazz may trade for but it would be a catastrophic mistake that would cause me to quit watching the team:

Josh Giddey

Not really anyone else that might be on the Jazz's radar? I expect Durant and Brandon Ingram to be traded, but the Jazz would likely not be interested in either. Trae Young may be moved, but the Jazz seem likely to be outbid if that happens. Mitchell could be traded, but not to Utah. Mikal Bridges could be traded, but not to Utah. KAT is a horrible fit, Jazz would get outbid. Paul George is a bad fit age wise and wouldn't come to Utah. Kyle Kuzma might be traded but he sucks so whatever.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#126 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Mar 3, 2024 7:17 pm

Can't see Mobley traded but trading one of Garland and Mitchell makes sense as the Cavs seem to be doing better when only one of the plays. The smart move by the Cavs would be to be prudent and trade Mitchell before he leaves for nothing but I'd love to have Garland on the Jazz.

Jalen Green is an upside play. He's due a new contract but I'm not against it especially if the Jazz believe in their player development abilities.

I agree about Giddey, I hope the Jazz avoid him unless they get him for very cheap.

I think the Jazz would have a good chance at Young -- they could be outbid but only if they choose to. I think that from the likeliest teams to trade for him the Jazz would have the most assets.

I would consider Miles Bridges as a free agent signing that perhaps could be had for less than market value.

If the Mavs implode in the playoffs the Doncic situation could get interesting but that's a pipe dream.

Can't see Durant getting traded.

I think Avdija would be a good fit at the SF and could help with secondary ball handling and facilitating like Olynyk did, but he's also a good defender and on a good contract. Wizards are a mess so maybe they could be enticed to trade him.

At some point either Zion or Ingram will be traded, my guess is it would be Zion.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#127 » by AingesBurner » Sun Mar 3, 2024 7:49 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Can't see Mobley traded but trading one of Garland and Mitchell makes sense as the Cavs seem to be doing better when only one of the plays. The smart move by the Cavs would be to be prudent and trade Mitchell before he leaves for nothing but I'd love to have Garland on the Jazz.

Jalen Green is an upside play. He's due a new contract but I'm not against it especially if the Jazz believe in their player development abilities.

I agree about Giddey, I hope the Jazz avoid him unless they get him for very cheap.

I think the Jazz would have a good chance at Young -- they could be outbid but only if they choose to. I think that from the likeliest teams to trade for him the Jazz would have the most assets.

I would consider Miles Bridges as a free agent signing that perhaps could be had for less than market value.

If the Mavs implode in the playoffs the Doncic situation could get interesting but that's a pipe dream.

Can't see Durant getting traded.

I think Avdija would be a good fit at the SF and could help with secondary ball handling and facilitating like Olynyk did, but he's also a good defender and on a good contract. Wizards are a mess so maybe they could be enticed to trade him.

At some point either Zion or Ingram will be traded, my guess is it would be Zion.

Doncic is not a pipe dream!
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#128 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 3, 2024 8:49 pm

I like how we're so depraved as a fanbase that we're like "oh yeah, let's bring in Miles Bridges so we can win two more games"

**** love it, great stuff.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#129 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:59 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:I like how we're so depraved as a fanbase that we're like "oh yeah, let's bring in Miles Bridges so we can win two more games"

**** love it, great stuff.

The Jazz were rumored to be interested, like it or not.

Suns, Pistons, Jazz Interested In Trading For Miles Bridges
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274435/Suns-Pistons-Jazz-Interested-In-Trading-For-Miles-Bridges

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#130 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Mar 4, 2024 7:25 am

Jazzfan 81 wrote:Hi guys I have been reading your comments for several years and decided I would like to offer comments on occasion. Hope I can add to your discussions.

Regarding the future of the Jazz I see that Danny Ainge is really targeting the 2025 and 2026 drafts as they are projecting to have several stars in those drafts. With that said, I see the Jazz actually selling off a few more players this summer and before next trade deadline. I see Jordan Clarkson, John Collins, Collin Sexton and Laurie Markennan all possibly being moved to ensure they have top 5 picks in 25 and 26.

This would be a hard sale for most of the Jazz Fans but will be the best chance to land a few potential stars. What are your takes on this possibility? I could see the Jazz landing several more picks in 25 and 26 by taking this route. Thanks for your thoughts.

Welcome to the board. The more time passes, the more likely I think the scenario you're describing is more plausible. I think the make or break point would be this offseason. If the Jazz don't make some big moves to improve, I think it becomes more likely they sell off on more than just players like Clarkson and Collins who I think everyone expects to be moved rather soon anyway.

The big issue is Markkanen. If he's signed to a new contract, the Jazz won't be able to trade him for about half a season, I think. And in that case, it hurts their chances to be bad in 2025 if that's the plan. The Jazz should really pick a clear direction as how things stand now is frustrating to the fans and also kinda gets them stuck in the middle.

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#131 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:10 pm

While I have rolled my eyes in the past when I see Jazz fans say that the team should trade for Ben Simmons, I think that this summer it might actually make sense.

The Nets need to decide this summer if they are going to tear it down and rebuild or try one last time to get some support for Mikal Bridges. He and Cam Johnson are probably the only positive assets they have if they decide to tear it down. They really don't have picks to convey until starting in 2027. They probably want to keep those 2027 and 2028 picks in case they need to rebuild. So, the suitors for Simmons who would could actually trade salary, trade players who would start or be in the rotation and aren't seeking near term picks for their own rebuild are probably fairly low in number.

Trade John Collins and Clarkson (and probably the 2024 second from WAS or MEM) for Simmons and Dariq Whitehead. Makes the Jazz younger for 2025, where hopefully they suck again and get a great pick, and also gives them a young player with promise if he can get healthy.
AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Post#132 » by AGE1207 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:46 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:While I have rolled my eyes in the past when I see Jazz fans say that the team should trade for Ben Simmons, I think that this summer it might actually make sense.

The Nets need to decide this summer if they are going to tear it down and rebuild or try one last time to get some support for Mikal Bridges. He and Cam Johnson are probably the only positive assets they have if they decide to tear it down. They really don't have picks to convey until starting in 2027. They probably want to keep those 2027 and 2028 picks in case they need to rebuild. So, the suitors for Simmons who would could actually trade salary, trade players who would start or be in the rotation and aren't seeking near term picks for their own rebuild are probably fairly low in number.

Trade John Collins and Clarkson (and probably the 2024 second from WAS or MEM) for Simmons and Dariq Whitehead. Makes the Jazz younger for 2025, where hopefully they suck again and get a great pick, and also gives them a young player with promise if he can get healthy.

A cunning plan but unless we shut everything down (again) come next February, I find it hard to believe we would suck in 2025 with Simmons, Whitehead, Sexton and Markannen on board or am I missing something?
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#133 » by SoCalJazzFan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:05 pm

AGE1207 wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:While I have rolled my eyes in the past when I see Jazz fans say that the team should trade for Ben Simmons, I think that this summer it might actually make sense.

A cunning plan but unless we shut everything down (again) come next February, I find it hard to believe we would suck in 2025 with Simmons, Whitehead, Sexton and Markannen on board or am I missing something?

We suck right now with Sexton and Markkanen playing with other vets, including John Collins and Clarkson. So, adding another rookie (Whitehead is having a health/surgery recovery year) and Simmons (who is perpetually hurt and never plays) should make the team pretty bad, unless Keyonte and Hendricks make big advances next year.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#134 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Apr 3, 2024 4:40 pm

Draft Picks In 20s & 30s Could Have Increased Value With Two-Day Event
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275178/Draft-Picks-In-20s-30s-Could-Have-Increased-Value-With-Two-Day-Event

The trade deadline was a bummer but maybe the front office knew what they were doing? We'll have to wait and see.

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#135 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:10 pm

One trade idea I would be keeping track of is Jaden Ivey for Walker Kessler.

The Pistons need to win now and Ivey is one of the worst players in the NBA currently and is hated by Monty Williams for how stupid he is. But he has huge upside if he ever learns how to play. I think both players would like a different situation and a different coach.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#136 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:13 pm

Why would the Pistons trade for Kessler when they have Duren? When healthy he's been good.

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#137 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:27 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Why would the Pistons trade for Kessler when they have Duren? When healthy he's been good.

Duren has been one of the worst centers in the league and the Pistons probably want to move on from him.

Duren is the worst defending starting center in the NBA other than John Collins.

The Pistons need to win next year and they went 13-69 this year mostly because Ivey, Duren, Hayes, Wiseman, and Bagley were so awful.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#138 » by Wolverine » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:32 am

Should’ve got Herro when we could’ve!

Return to Utah Jazz