2024 Trade Rumors

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Re: 2024 Trade Rumors 

Post#101 » by red4hf » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:54 pm

DaddyCool19 wrote:Do you guys think you will do the same to Markkanen as the Kings did with Sabonis?

Meaning renegotiate and extend?
red4hf

Post#102 » by red4hf » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:57 pm

I'd say the chances are pretty good, unless Ainge decides on a full teardown......
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#103 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:59 pm

red4hf wrote:
DaddyCool19 wrote:Do you guys think you will do the same to Markkanen as the Kings did with Sabonis?

Yes. The free agent class seems bad, as the top players most likely stay put and why overpay a role player, instead of giving Lauri a raise and with that getting him to sign a long deal. Maybe he does the same as Domas and takes a small paycut, as Domas 5 year deal with the renogatiate and raise is worth 217M instead of the 237M max over 5 years he could've gotten, if he waited a year.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#104 » by bkohler » Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:26 am

DaddyCool19 wrote:
red4hf wrote:

Yes. The free agent class seems bad, as the top players most likely stay put and why overpay a role player, instead of giving Lauri a raise and with that getting him to sign a long deal. Maybe he does the same as Domas and takes a small paycut, as Domas 5 year deal with the renogatiate and raise is worth 217M instead of the 237M max over 5 years he could've gotten, if he waited a year.

I actually think Domas is exactly the comp that they'll use in negotiations. Very similar situations.
Jazzfan 81
Ballboy
And1: 2

Post#105 » by Jazzfan 81 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 2:06 am

Hi guys I have been reading your comments for several years and decided I would like to offer comments on occasion. Hope I can add to your discussions.

Regarding the future of the Jazz I see that Danny Ainge is really targeting the 2025 and 2026 drafts as they are projecting to have several stars in those drafts. With that said, I see the Jazz actually selling off a few more players this summer and before next trade deadline. I see Jordan Clarkson, John Collins, Collin Sexton and Laurie Markennan all possibly being moved to ensure they have top 5 picks in 25 and 26.

This would be a hard sale for most of the Jazz Fans but will be the best chance to land a few potential stars. What are your takes on this possibility? I could see the Jazz landing several more picks in 25 and 26 by taking this route. Thanks for your thoughts.
red4hf

Post#106 » by red4hf » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:53 am

Jazzfan 81 wrote:Hi guys I have been reading your comments for several years and decided I would like to offer comments on occasion. Hope I can add to your discussions.

Regarding the future of the Jazz I see that Danny Ainge is really targeting the 2025 and 2026 drafts as they are projecting to have several stars in those drafts. With that said, I see the Jazz actually selling off a few more players this summer and before next trade deadline. I see Jordan Clarkson, John Collins, Collin Sexton and Laurie Markennan all possibly being moved to ensure they have top 5 picks in 25 and 26.

This would be a hard sale for most of the Jazz Fans but will be the best chance to land a few potential stars. What are your takes on this possibility? I could see the Jazz landing several more picks in 25 and 26 by taking this route. Thanks for your thoughts.

I, unfortunately, agree with this assessment...... I could even see Laurie being dealt this summer........
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#107 » by Hugi Mancura » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:23 am

red4hf wrote:
Jazzfan 81 wrote:Hi guys I have been reading your comments for several years and decided I would like to offer comments on occasion. Hope I can add to your discussions.

I, unfortunately, agree with this assessment...... I could even see Laurie being dealt this summer........

If Utah wants to trade Markkanen they will get the best price in this summer. Teams have more picks to trade for. Utah seems to be 5 years away from reaching playoffs and that happens, if they can get some key players in 2025 draft, so even that is not automatic. Out of the current young players I don't see anyone to be star of the future. Serviceable players yes, but allstar level players no. So Markkanen would have to spend all his prime years in a developing team. Don't think that is motivating to anyone who plays competitive sports. Maybe that's why Markkanen have looked like a person who doesn't want to be there on court in last couple games.

Maybe Markkanen refuses to sign extension and thus Utah would be pretty much forced to trade Markkanen or they would lose him for nothing. That is what I would do in his shoes, but I'm not him, so what I do doesn't really matter.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#108 » by vryadli » Sat Mar 2, 2024 12:02 am

Hugi Mancura wrote:
red4hf wrote:

If Utah wants to trade Markkanen they will get the best price in this summer. Teams have more picks to trade for. Utah seems to be 5 years away from reaching playoffs and that happens, if they can get some key players in 2025 draft, so even that is not automatic. Out of the current young players I don't see anyone to be star of the future. Serviceable players yes, but allstar level players no. So Markkanen would have to spend all his prime years in a developing team. Don't think that is motivating to anyone who plays competitive sports. Maybe that's why Markkanen have looked like a person who doesn't want to be there on court in last couple games.

Maybe Markkanen refuses to sign extension and thus Utah would be pretty much forced to trade Markkanen or they would lose him for nothing. That is what I would do in his shoes, but I'm not him, so what I do doesn't really matter.

Five years estimate is very optimistic. Because after getting your franchise core (not probable, but not impossible) FO will have to restore its credibility as honest and predictable entity. After last trades no sane player will accept any words of Jazz FO at face value, they are young but not even teenagers. Yes, mediocre playerswith low BBIQ may see it as opportunity of development, but likes of Giannis will try to be out ASAP.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#109 » by AingesBurner » Sat Mar 2, 2024 1:46 pm

People should view Utah tanking for the pick as a way to build the team with trades. We now have 2-3 picks in almost every draft.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#110 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Mar 2, 2024 7:24 pm

AingesBurner wrote:People should view Utah tanking for the pick as a way to build the team with trades. We now have 2-3 picks in almost every draft.

But if we keep our pick OKC will own it next season and we won't be able to trade our own pick until it is conveyed. It's much better to convey it now because it is a weak draft and it allows the Jazz to trade 3 of its own picks. We also now have a late FRP and an early SRP from other teams so the need to our own picks is even less.

In short, conveying our own pick this season actually gives us more picks to trade (our own) that we aren't allowed to traded until we convey the pick to OKC.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#111 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Mar 2, 2024 10:04 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:People should view Utah tanking for the pick as a way to build the team with trades. We now have 2-3 picks in almost every draft.

But if we keep our pick OKC will own it next season and we won't be able to trade our own pick until it is conveyed. It's much better to convey it now because it is a weak draft and it allows the Jazz to trade 3 of its own picks. We also now have a late FRP and an early SRP from other teams so the need to our own picks is even less.

In short, conveying our own pick this season actually gives us more picks to trade (our own) that we aren't allowed to traded until we convey the pick to OKC.

It's extremely easy to get around this with the amount of picks we own.

eg, the Jazz could offer

Player selected at 10
Player selected at 28
Player selected at 32
2025 Jazz pick, protected 11-30, turns into lesser of Cavs/Timberwolves 2025 pick if not conveyed
Better of Cavs/Timberwolves 2025 pick
Best of Jazz/Cavs/Timberwolves 2026 pick (extinguished if Jazz pick is owed to OKC in 2026)
All but the worst 2027 pick owned by the Jazz (this should be 3 firsts, but would be two if the Lakers pick is top 4)
Best of Jazz/Cavs 2028 pick
All but the worst 2029 pick owned by the Jazz (this should be 2 firsts, but would be one if the Wolves pick is top 5)
2030 Jazz pick
2031 swap

In this trade, the Jazz own a pick in 2025, 2027, 2029, and 2031 and thus it is legal by CBA rules. The Jazz are basically trading 13 firsts in this deal.

The "we need to get this pick out of the way!" was just weird spin and blatant lying from the Jazz front office to justify the John Collins trade.

Will the Jazz trade these picks for a star? No. There's no one available and the Jazz will instead tank, but owning the pick is much better for trades.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#112 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:37 am

Evan Mobley is the only high tier player that

1. Could be available in the offseason
2. The Jazz could realistically outbid every other team due to having more assets than most teams and more interest than the teams that have more assets than them

A Mobley trade would require trading probably both John Collins and Walker Kessler just for fit purposes. The Cavs would have no interest in either and those deals would have to be a side trade. In terms of a trade to get Mobley, it would probably take 3-5 firsts.

Evan Mobley fits well in theory with Lauri Markkanen and Taylor Hendricks if Mobley puts on another 15 pounds and if Hendricks does as well.

Cade Cunningham COULD be available if Troy Weaver is fired, but we'll see.

(Cade also isn't a good player yet, but has the potential to be one if he becomes way better at shooting and passing. Jalen Green also is probably available and has some star potential, but it's even less likely than Cade)
red4hf

Post#113 » by red4hf » Sun Mar 3, 2024 12:52 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Evan Mobley is the only high tier player that

2. The Jazz could realistically outbid every other team due to having more assets than most teams and more interest than the teams that have more assets than them

A Mobley trade would require trading probably both John Collins and Walker Kessler just for fit purposes. The Cavs would have no interest in either and those deals would have to be a side trade. In terms of a trade to get Mobley, it would probably take 3-5 firsts.

Evan Mobley fits well in theory with Lauri Markkanen and Taylor Hendricks if Mobley puts on another 15 pounds and if Hendricks does as well.

(Cade also isn't a good player yet, but has the potential to be one if he becomes way better at shooting and passing. Jalen Green also is probably available and has some star potential, but it's even less likely than Cade)

Why would Mobley be available?
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#114 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:02 am

red4hf wrote:

Mobley and Allen can't play together and Allen is currently better while having less trade value.

If the Cavs flameout in the postseason but Mitchell decides to extend, either Allen or Mobley is definitely gone.
red4hf

Post#115 » by red4hf » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:35 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
red4hf wrote:

Mobley and Allen can't play together and Allen is currently better while having less trade value.

If the Cavs flameout in the postseason but Mitchell decides to extend, either Allen or Mobley is definitely gone.

They've played together pretty well so far...... But if it comes down to a choice between the two, Allen is the one who's gone.....
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#116 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:58 am

red4hf wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
red4hf wrote:

They've played together pretty well so far...... But if it comes down to a choice between the two, Allen is the one who's gone.....

The issue is that Allen is better and would get much less in a trade.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#117 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Mar 3, 2024 9:40 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

It's extremely easy to get around this with the amount of picks we own.

eg, the Jazz could offer

Player selected at 10
Player selected at 28
Player selected at 32
2025 Jazz pick, protected 11-30, turns into lesser of Cavs/Timberwolves 2025 pick if not conveyed
Better of Cavs/Timberwolves 2025 pick
Best of Jazz/Cavs/Timberwolves 2026 pick (extinguished if Jazz pick is owed to OKC in 2026)
All but the worst 2027 pick owned by the Jazz (this should be 3 firsts, but would be two if the Lakers pick is top 4)
Best of Jazz/Cavs 2028 pick
All but the worst 2029 pick owned by the Jazz (this should be 2 firsts, but would be one if the Wolves pick is top 5)
2030 Jazz pick
2031 swap

In this trade, the Jazz own a pick in 2025, 2027, 2029, and 2031 and thus it is legal by CBA rules. The Jazz are basically trading 13 firsts in this deal.

The "we need to get this pick out of the way!" was just weird spin and blatant lying from the Jazz front office to justify the John Collins trade.

Will the Jazz trade these picks for a star? No. There's no one available and the Jazz will instead tank, but owning the pick is much better for trades.

Or the Jazz could just convey the pick instead and not have to jump through all kinds of convoluted hoops. It would make everyone's life much easier.

But they chose to go this route so now it's up to them to make it worth it. Maybe they like some of the players in the draft.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#118 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 3, 2024 1:14 pm

Why does it matter at all if it's convoluted, every NBA trade is really convoluted.

The "have to convey this pick to trade more stuff!" was just lies from the front office to sell the John Collins trade. And it was blatantly a lie because the Jazz are now tanking for the pick back.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#119 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Mar 3, 2024 3:42 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Why does it matter at all if it's convoluted, every NBA trade is really convoluted.

The "have to convey this pick to trade more stuff!" was just lies from the front office to sell the John Collins trade. And it was blatantly a lie because the Jazz are now tanking for the pick back.

I really don't care what the front office said. They may or may not have been lying but since I didn't even know they said it at the time, their words are irrelevant and didn't sell me on anything.

It matters that it's convoluted because it makes it that much more difficult the execute. You correctly noted that every trade is already convoluted, so being restricted by more red tape to work around just makes things more difficult. Also, if you're drafting players for yourself and then later a trade presents itself, the team you want to trade with may not want those players and perhaps would have preferred drafting someone else. Players also have cap implications while unrealized draft picks don't. That's why it's easier to have control of your own picks to trade instead of drafting players and then try to trade them.

Besides, due to the Lakers' inaction at the trade deadline and them not trading their pick, don't they also gain the ability to trade 3 of their own picks once the season is over instead of only the one that they had? Same principle.

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#120 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 3, 2024 3:48 pm

No, it does not make the trade harder to execute as all these conditions are easy for the Jazz to fulfill and do not need the help of other teams.

Return to Utah Jazz