SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Re: 2024 Trade Rumors 

Post#81 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:16 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Not sure whether to put this here or the season thread-
https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/utah-jazz-insider-trade-details-deadline-ainge

The Jazz could have been buyers, but it wouldn't have been DJMurray, but a better than starter but not star player, per Tony Jones. Let speculation run rampant on that one.

Interesting. It looks like Ainge is still his old self, playing for value over everything else. If he can get a player who would be a real upgrade he'd do it and if not, he's fine adding more draft picks.

I wonder who that player is. I'm guessing he's not a C or a PF. Wild guess: Miles Bridges.

That might be the best guess I've seen, as he wasn't really in the news during the trade deadline and he is not an all star but arguably better than a regular starter. It also fits Tony saying "it would have been really interesting", lol.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#82 » by bkohler » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:36 pm

I saw reports about the Jazz being interested in Miles Bridges, and Tony said it wasn't reported.

A few I think it could have been:
Coby White
Deni Advija
Trey Murphy
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#83 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Feb 24, 2024 11:13 am

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:Not sure whether to put this here or the season thread-
https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/utah-jazz-insider-trade-details-deadline-ainge

The Jazz could have been buyers, but it wouldn't have been DJMurray, but a better than starter but not star player, per Tony Jones. Let speculation run rampant on that one.

Interesting. It looks like Ainge is still his old self, playing for value over everything else. If he can get a player who would be a real upgrade he'd do it and if not, he's fine adding more draft picks.

I wonder who that player is. I'm guessing he's not a C or a PF. Wild guess: Miles Bridges.

That might be the best guess I've seen, as he wasn't really in the news during the trade deadline and he is not an all star but arguably better than a regular starter. It also fits Tony saying "it would have been really interesting", lol.

In fairness, there was a rumor going around that the Jazz had interest in him so maybe it doesn't fit all that well to what Jones said.
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274435/Suns-Pistons-Jazz-Interested-In-Trading-For-Miles-Bridges
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,599

Post#84 » by NYG » Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:59 pm

Are the Jazz going to be buyers or sellers in the off-season?
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#85 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:11 pm

NYG wrote:Are the Jazz going to be buyers or sellers in the off-season?

Probably will do nothing other than maybe trading Walker Kessler and almost certainly renegotiating and extending Markkanen.

The team wants to trade Clarkson and Collins, but both guys have no trade value so it's unlikely to happen. There's no star that would want to play in Utah who might be available this offseason. Markkanen cannot be traded for value until six months after his renegotiation and extension.

Team will probably blow it up at the deadline unless they get massive growth from their young players. Markkanen will go to the highest bidding team at the deadline.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#86 » by vryadli » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:18 pm

They will try to trade Kessler, but if opportunities will go other way, they will trade LM, just not stay the same.

I'm pretty sure that with the way team is working now, they will not be able to buy any living body with brain, only picks.
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#87 » by tugs » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:51 am

Can I just say how frustrating Utah's season has been in terms of clear direction? Team is more than capable and is beyond "mediocre", but FO seems to be treating the season as an 82-game tryout. Any semblance of consistency in the rotation would've propelled you guys with some wins and better standing, but Hardy seemed torn between full blown development or trying to make the POs
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#88 » by red4hf » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:51 am

vryadli wrote:

They will try to trade Kessler, but if opportunities will go other way, they will trade LM, just not stay the same.

I'm pretty sure that with the way team is working now, they will not be able to buy any living body with brain, only picks.

Why would they try to trade Kessler?
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#89 » by AingesBurner » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:25 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Probably will do nothing other than maybe trading Walker Kessler and almost certainly renegotiating and extending Markkanen.

The team wants to trade Clarkson and Collins, but both guys have no trade value so it's unlikely to happen. There's no star that would want to play in Utah who might be available this offseason. Markkanen cannot be traded for value until six months after his renegotiation and extension.

Team will probably blow it up at the deadline unless they get massive growth from their young players. Markkanen will go to the highest bidding team at the deadline.

Take it easy, McC. A star player under long term contract really doesn’t have a choice. Sit for four years with no pay? Good way to tank your value.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#90 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Feb 26, 2024 1:54 pm

AingesBurner wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Take it easy, McC. A star player under long term contract really doesn’t have a choice. Sit for four years with no pay? Good way to tank your value.

Which star player under a long-term contract is getting traded next year.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#91 » by vryadli » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:54 pm

red4hf wrote:
vryadli wrote:

To get more assets, of course.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#92 » by red4hf » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:59 pm

vryadli wrote:
red4hf wrote:
vryadli wrote:

While that does sound like Ainge, i imagine the Jazz would wait at least one more year before considering that move.......
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#93 » by HadAnEffectHere » Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:24 pm

red4hf wrote:
vryadli wrote:
red4hf wrote:

While that does sound like Ainge, i imagine the Jazz would wait at least one more year before considering that move.......

No, if Ainge only cares about winning a title, then the only way to do so is to tank aggressively over the next three years and that means trading away Markkanen, Kessler, and Sexton as soon as possible.

The team keeps refusing to win 45 games so I assume Ainge is completely uninterested in anything but titles so then it has to be an aggressive, long-term tank.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#94 » by AingesBurner » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:21 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

Which star player under a long-term contract is getting traded next year.

We are not warlocks and don’t have crystal balls but every summer a star becomes available.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#95 » by vryadli » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:04 am

red4hf wrote:
vryadli wrote:
red4hf wrote:

But he is regressing -just how it can be expected under circumstances. And quite probably he will be the only opportunity to get some assets which will not be a complete trash.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#96 » by vryadli » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:10 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
red4hf wrote:
vryadli wrote:

No, if Ainge only cares about winning a title, then the only way to do so is to tank aggressively over the next three years and that means trading away Markkanen, Kessler, and Sexton as soon as possible.

The team keeps refusing to win 45 games so I assume Ainge is completely uninterested in anything but titles so then it has to be an aggressive, long-term tank.

For title and being small market it will take 20 or 30 years(forever) io aggressive tanking. Nothing less than VW or at least Giannis will take you from the bottom. But on the other hand, it will be the best years for fans, who enjoy drafting and developing and trading. Look how good are doing the team which traded with Jazz. Minni, Cleveland, now Raptors. Ainge is definitely a mage of a kind.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#97 » by bkohler » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:30 am

vryadli wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
red4hf wrote:

For title and being small market it will take 20 or 30 years(forever) io aggressive tanking. Nothing less than VW or at least Giannis will take you from the bottom. But on the other hand, it will be the best years for fans, who enjoy drafting and developing and trading. Look how good are doing the team which traded with Jazz. Minni, Cleveland, now Raptors. Ainge is definitely a mage of a kind.

Hasn’t the gamble been all along that those teams will be far worse 2-4 years from now? I don’t think anyone thought trading Rudy or Don would make those teams bad now, but that it would be hard to keep them long term.

We’ve endured a grand total of a year and a half of rebuilding, perhaps we should give the team just a bit more time. They seem to have at least gotten base hits with Keyonte and Hendricks looks like he’s at least not a bust so far. They’ve got the coaching hire right and did awesome getting Lauri, Walker and Sexton in those trades.

I get people are upset a punting this year but some of the hyperbole is a bit extreme. Also, sure tanking has only led to titles every so often it’s also landing small markets players like Ja Morant, Anthony Edwards and Palao Banchero.
vryadli
Rookie

Post#98 » by vryadli » Wed Feb 28, 2024 2:58 am

bkohler wrote:
We’ve endured a grand total of a year and a half of rebuilding, perhaps we should give the team just a bit more time.

I get people are upset a punting this year but some of the hyperbole is a bit extreme. Also, sure tanking has only led to titles every so often it’s also landing small markets players like Ja Morant, Anthony Edwards and Palao Banchero.

Sorry, I see no more than 8 month of rebuilding. After that it is completely different story. And what I see after is that TEAM was not given any time.TEAM was proved to be unnecessarily, unsignificant and unimportant for FO. They send message that that only assets, trades and drafts are of value for FO and that the TEAM is of very low interest for them. Evidently LM, for example, got that message clearly.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#99 » by bkohler » Wed Feb 28, 2024 4:34 am

vryadli wrote:
bkohler wrote:
We’ve endured a grand total of a year and a half of rebuilding, perhaps we should give the team just a bit more time.

Sorry, I see no more than 8 month of rebuilding. After that it is completely different story. And what I see after is that TEAM was not given any time.TEAM was proved to be unnecessarily, unsignificant and unimportant for FO. They send message that that only assets, trades and drafts are of value for FO and that the TEAM is of very low interest for them. Evidently LM, for example, got that message clearly.

The FO has been pretty clear from the beginning that this was a 24-36 month rebuild. We’re collectively upset because 18 months in we’re still doing some demolition. Just because our timeline doesn’t match up with the FO timeline doesn’t mean the FO doesn’t care about winning, doesn’t value team chemistry and players over assets. What it means is they looked at the landscape and thought this was the best path towards a championship as quickly as possible.

What they saw was that the TEAM as you mentioned just wasn’t any good. The ten games before the trade deadline had us at the second worst defensive team in the NBA. We were beating teams who weren’t at full strength with offense only, something Ainge knows doesn’t work when things get real competitive. Ainge knew enough basketball to not over react to a hot streak and make the smart decision even if was unpopular and emotionally hard.

I also think it should be noted that while sure, some players were upset with the trades others are given much more opportunities and might help the team be even better long term.

If you’re upset at trading Ochai, I can get that! We had him under team control for a few more years and I can see where people would want to keep kicking the tires. But both Olynyk and Tech were FA and most likely walking at the end of the year. The team that is around now is for the most part locked up for multiple years and is going to be given a chance at proving themselves with continuity that you wouldn’t have had otherwise. If Lauri, Keyonte, Hendricks and Walker are the future might as well start letting them build that team right now and give that team, the one that can be together more than just two more months, time to grow and develop together.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#100 » by DaddyCool19 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 7:45 pm

Do you guys think you will do the same to Markkanen as the Kings did with Sabonis?

Return to Utah Jazz