Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

2024 Trade Rumors 

Post#1 » by AingesBurner » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:12 pm

New Year, new thread.

So far:

Pacers see if Markkanen is available and are laughed off the phone.

Knicks have potential interest in Clarkson.

John Collins was available but recent play has quieted those talks.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Re: 2024 Trade Rumors 

Post#2 » by red4hf » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:23 am

Lakers could pursue Sexton, per wiretap....... Fat chance of us trading him...... Especially to the Lakers.......
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#3 » by vryadli » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:32 am

I think all that is mostly diversions, some J
azz rivels fan are scared and are trying to make confusion, disrupt the chemistry and flow.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#4 » by Wolverine » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:37 pm

vryadli wrote:I think all that is mostly diversions, some J
azz rivels fan are scared and are trying to make confusion, disrupt the chemistry and flow.

No one’s scared nor care about the chemistry.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#5 » by bkohler » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:24 am

red4hf wrote:Lakers could pursue Sexton, per wiretap....... Fat chance of us trading him...... Especially to the Lakers.......

If they offered the 29 pick, protections removed on the 27 pick and Russel and JHS I’d do it.

I actually think Russel would thrive in Hardy’s system … and be another reclamation project to flip.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,254

Post#6 » by Catchall » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:11 am

According to ESPN (Lowe and MacMahon) the Jazz players most likely to be traded are THT (who allegedly asked for a trade) and Olynyk.

Jazz reportedly want at least one lightly protected FRP for Clarkson, and this was a deal-breaker in swapping Clarkson for Grimes with NYK.

Apparently the asking price from Chicago for Zach Lavine is not very high.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#7 » by BigJimFinn » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:03 am

I have followed the Bulls forum on the LaVine saga, and they are slowly starting to accept that his trade value isn't much because of his contract. It is also the reason why Jazz should not consider LaVine, no matter how alluring the idea of reassembling the core of a 22-win Bulls team could look. He is not the #1 guy you need, or really a number #1 guy at all for a serious team. Having watched him for 3 years in Chicago, his destiny is to peak as a 27 ppg scorer for a 27-win team, and he might get traded to Detroit where he could fulfill that.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#8 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:37 am

I'd pass on Lavine. His contract is just too big unless you basically do a Lavine for Collins+THT or Collins+Olynyk, both work on the trade machine. Either way it's a pass for me.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#9 » by bkohler » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:16 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I'd pass on Lavine. His contract is just too big unless you basically do a Lavine for Collins+THT or Collins+Olynyk, both work on the trade machine. Either way it's a pass for me.

Yeah, I’d be fine with Lavine if we’re just sending back matching salary. But that’s about it. I think that’s where most of the league is at as well.

How would you guys feel about being the third team in an LA/ATL swap and sending out Olynyk and THT for D. Russell? I know he’s never going to be a high upside player but I think he’d actually fit in pretty well with our team as PG, his contract isn’t horrible it would be expiring next year and is big enough to include in a decent sized deal?
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#10 » by D Rog » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:40 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/jazz-surprise-landing-spot-hawks-dejounte-murray

I think the Hawks have shopped Dejounte to a lot of teams and nobody can give them what they want. The various articles I have read say they want 2 picks and no salary past this year. I can see them accepting less after they have shopped him around for so long.

THT for Dejounte straight across works financially. The question is what else would the Jazz have to include?

If Danny wants him I think he can get him but he isn't paying top dollar. He can pay more than the Lakers and most of the other teams that have been in the rumors. Will Hardy will have some say on this because he knew Dejounte while they were both at San Antonio.

I really like Dunn and would like the Jazz to keep him for the next few years but I think Dejounte would be an upgrade.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#11 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:44 pm

bkohler wrote:How would you guys feel about being the third team in an LA/ATL swap and sending out Olynyk and THT for D. Russell? I know he’s never going to be a high upside player but I think he’d actually fit in pretty well with our team as PG, his contract isn’t horrible it would be expiring next year and is big enough to include in a decent sized deal?

I don't think he'd fit all that well. Is he going to play next so Sexton? That would be a terrible fit imho. Same if he played next to George. He's not a good defender and he's very inconsistent. He also doesn't have the best of attitudes. I don't see him as an upgrade over what we have, that's a hard pass for me. Maybe if we get some assets to take him, and only if we can flip him.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,032

Post#12 » by mg » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:05 pm

We shall see but it's looking more like klutch is unsurprisingly steering Dejounte toward the Lakers. Klutch also reps the Hawks 2 best players Trae and J. Johnson so they do have some pull in ATL. Maybe the Laker '29 frp + DLo (to a 3rd team) + a swap pick in either '28/'30 might get it done? The Jazz could easily beat that offer but don't see Murray as a huge upgrade considering he's not much of a 3 pt threat and his defense has fallen off a cliff especially trying to defend SG's in ATL. Dunn is the better defender and is going to play his role without complaining as a vet leader on this team. Even if Dunn is a stopgap starter I see him as a better fit next to Key and Sexton moving forward assuming Jazz keep at least one of them long term. Atlanta is already regretting trading FRP's for him after 1.5 seasons. I don't really see Danny spending any of the frp's in the warchest until a real difference maker comes available.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#13 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:09 pm

I fully support Murray going to the Lakers. It might save the Jazz from themselves. I'm not in favor of trading for him and I'm also not sure that he's what the Lakers need.

red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#14 » by red4hf » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:14 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I fully support Murray going to the Lakers. It might save the Jazz from themselves. I'm not in favor of trading for him and I'm also not sure that he's what the Lakers need.

I was all for Murray coming to Jazz, but Dunn's play as of late makes that much less appealing, particularly if we have to give up multiple picks.....
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#15 » by D Rog » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:59 pm

I was all for Murray coming to Jazz, but Dunn's play as of late makes that much less appealing, particularly if we have to give up multiple picks.....[/quote]

Like I said above, I like Dunn. I still think Murray is an upgrade and I think the Jazz could keep both. Dunn has nice shooting percentages but he is only taking 1 3 point shot per game. He has taken a total of 2 free throws in the month of January.

The concern I have is Hardy has played 6 guys in the guard position (THT is basically out now). Clarkson is the only one averaging over 30 minutes. I think Collin Sexton and Keyonte are getting about 25 minutes and Dunn is getting about 20 minutes for the past month. Ochai is getting 17 minutes for the past month and some of that is at the SF position. I think the Jazz need a true lead PG that can give them 30+ minutes per night.

IMHO Danny and Hardy need to consolidate the number of guards getting minutes and try to upgrade the quality of those guards. I start by moving Clarkson and picking up Murray.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#16 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:01 pm

red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I fully support Murray going to the Lakers. It might save the Jazz from themselves. I'm not in favor of trading for him and I'm also not sure that he's what the Lakers need.

I was all for Murray coming to Jazz, but Dunn's play as of late makes that much less appealing, particularly if we have to give up multiple picks.....

I wouldn't abandon pursuing Murray just because of Dunn if I was into Murray, especially as Dunn is playing about 17.6 minutes and scores 5.1 points per game. I just don't think he'd upgrade the team that much, but that's a discussion that we've already had.

I'd let other teams use their assets on Lavine, Murray, DeRozan, Siakam, Anunoby, etc., and then blow their cap space to retain said players (Siakam, Anunoby, Lavine). Keep the powder dry and wait for the really big fish. The Pelicans and Mavs could implode. I don't see Zion finishing his current contract on the Pelicans, for example. And if the Mavs implode, Luka could very well want out. They started really well but now they are the 8th seed with the Jazz playing better, the Lakers looking to upgrade their roster and start taking the season seriously, the Warriors fighting for their lives, etc. Even if they make the playoffs, getting bounced in round one will likely cause Doncic to blow a gasket.

Let others deplete their assets for lesser players and wait for the opportunity to present itself.

Jingles2
Junior
And1: 63

Post#17 » by Jingles2 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:51 pm

Any rumors in Utah pursuing Deni Avdija? He would be a great compliment to Markkanen. Would probably cost us some picks but maybe we could dump Collins and I would be all for that.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#18 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:53 pm

Jingles2 wrote:Any rumors in Utah pursuing Deni Avdija? He would be a great compliment to Markkanen. Would probably cost us some picks but maybe we could dump Collins and I would be all for that.

No rumors that I've seen but I'm on board with Avdija to the Jazz, I think he'd be a good fit.

Read on Twitter

bkohler
Rookie

Post#19 » by bkohler » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:18 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
bkohler wrote:How would you guys feel about being the third team in an LA/ATL swap and sending out Olynyk and THT for D. Russell? I know he’s never going to be a high upside player but I think he’d actually fit in pretty well with our team as PG, his contract isn’t horrible it would be expiring next year and is big enough to include in a decent sized deal?

I don't think he'd fit all that well. Is he going to play next so Sexton? That would be a terrible fit imho. Same if he played next to George. He's not a good defender and he's very inconsistent. He also doesn't have the best of attitudes. I don't see him as an upgrade over what we have, that's a hard pass for me. Maybe if we get some assets to take him, and only if we can flip him.

If we were to deal for Russell I'd assume we'd have moved on from Clarkson and maybe even Sexton. I just look at it from the same perspective as the John Collins trade. If there's free value there (or even if you get some small incentive to take him) I think Hardy is the type of coach who could rehab his value.

I wouldn't think long term, I'm just looking for players / way to keep mildly competitive short term but possibly gather more assets as well.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#20 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:58 pm

I have zero interest in Russell.

I am intrigued by D Murray, though. He might not be that 1A, Batman player that we need, but he could be a very solid starting PG. If he returns to SAS form, he could be a steal. As he is not paid superstar money over the next 3-4 years, he could be a good gamble. Even if he didn't work out, his contract would be helpful if we are holding out on giving up the warchest for a superstar (e.g. Doncic) as we would have to match salary or have tremendous immediate cap space to do it.

A potential trade could be:
Jazz
out- J Clarkson, FRP
in- Murray

NYK
out- Fournier, FRP
in- JC

Hawks
out- Murray
in- Fournier, two FRPs.

Knicks want another playmaker, Hawks want picks and cap space this summer. Should be appealing to all.

I'm not sure that Murray and Sexton could play together, so move Sexton to fill JC's 6th man role. Try Dunn, or a SG, with Murray.

(Edit: Maybe could get Grimes and/or Griffin as part of deal, which would also be interesting).

Return to Utah Jazz