2024 Trade Rumors

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,039

Re: 2024 Trade Rumors 

Post#21 » by JazzUte88 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:03 pm

Maybe Utah signs Markelle Fultz to a 1 year-25 million dollar deal with a team option?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,469

Post#22 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:09 pm

bkohler wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
bkohler wrote:How would you guys feel about being the third team in an LA/ATL swap and sending out Olynyk and THT for D. Russell? I know he’s never going to be a high upside player but I think he’d actually fit in pretty well with our team as PG, his contract isn’t horrible it would be expiring next year and is big enough to include in a decent sized deal?

I don't think he'd fit all that well. Is he going to play next so Sexton? That would be a terrible fit imho. Same if he played next to George. He's not a good defender and he's very inconsistent. He also doesn't have the best of attitudes. I don't see him as an upgrade over what we have, that's a hard pass for me. Maybe if we get some assets to take him, and only if we can flip him.

If we were to deal for Russell I'd assume we'd have moved on from Clarkson and maybe even Sexton. I just look at it from the same perspective as the John Collins trade. If there's free value there (or even if you get some small incentive to take him) I think Hardy is the type of coach who could rehab his value.

I wouldn't think long term, I'm just looking for players / way to keep mildly competitive short term but possibly gather more assets as well.

I'm not sure we'd be that competitive with Russell tbh. I also wouldn't move from Sexton just so we could get Russell and maybe flip him. He's going to be on an expiring contract next season, so already you're not going to get that much value for him even if you did manage to rehab his value somewhat. And also keep in mind that these things take time. By the time Hardy will get him to play how he wants and make him look good, he'd already be on an expiring contract, probably at the end to it by the time that happens. It just doesn't work with Russell--the timing, his contract situation and the pieces you'd have to move just to give him room so he could maybe rehab his value in a season and a half (at most) makes it unrealistic and not worth it.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#23 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:15 pm

Suns, Pistons, Jazz Interested In Trading For Miles Bridges
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274435/Suns-Pistons-Jazz-Interested-In-Trading-For-Miles-Bridges

This piece of news is going to make some people very unhappy. I happen to think that when it comes to basketball fit, Bridges is a very good fit. I don't think there is a reason to trade for him unless the intention is to re-sign him and since he's going to be a UFA when the season ends, I don't really see the point for the Jazz. But he's a guy I've brought up before as someone who is a good fit in a position of need, fits the timeline, and could potentially be signed for a significant discount.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,042

Post#24 » by mg » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:00 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Suns, Pistons, Jazz Interested In Trading For Miles Bridges
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/274435/Suns-Pistons-Jazz-Interested-In-Trading-For-Miles-Bridges

This piece of news is going to make some people very unhappy. I happen to think that when it comes to basketball fit, Bridges is a very good fit. I don't think there is a reason to trade for him unless the intention is to re-sign him and since he's going to be a UFA when the season ends, I don't really see the point for the Jazz. But he's a guy I've brought up before as someone who is a good fit in a position of need, fits the timeline, and could potentially be signed for a significant discount.

I realize Ainge loves to buy a player on "the cheap", rehab the asset, and then flip for a higher value but Miles Bridges in Utah would go over like a lead balloon. He may be talented but it's a real tough sell to fans.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#25 » by D Rog » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:43 pm

mg wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:Suns, Pistons, Jazz Interested In Trading For Miles Bridges

I realize Ainge loves to buy a player on "the cheap", rehab the asset, and then flip for a higher value but Miles Bridges in Utah would go over like a lead balloon. He may be talented but it's a real tough sell to fans.

If Bridges stays out of jail and produces, Jazz fans will forget. See Malik Beasley as an example. He wasn't here long but Jazz fans were fine with him. Per ESPN article Beasley was arrested in September of 2020 for pointing a gun at a family who parked near his home. When police officers searched Beasley’s property they found narcotics and numerous guns, one of which was confirmed as stolen.

I agree the domestic abuse is more egregious than Beasley, Bridges will start out with a big PR press conference to win fans over.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,027

Post#26 » by SoCalJazzFan » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:03 am

Unless I'm mistaken, Miles Bridges contract does not have Bird rights, so he is a true UFA. What would the Jazz be willing to give up to try him on for size for only a couple of months with the risk of him leaving?
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 982

Post#27 » by red4hf » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:34 am

About Bridges, besides the off-court issues, I don't see the fit with Laurie .......
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 816

Post#28 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:54 am

Bridges is a PF who also... Sucks at basketball.

He doesn't defend at all.

The fit is pretty abysmal beyond him being a bad person.

Bridges is one of the main reasons why the Hornets are one of the worst teams in NBA history.

The fact that Bridges is leading an all-time bad team really gets overlooked a lot. He stinks!

All these Hornets players up for trade... I don't think I want the 5th best player on the 10th worst team in NBA history actually, they seem to suck.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#29 » by Inigo Montoya » Sat Jan 27, 2024 8:29 am

Well, the Jazz will be playing the Hornets tonight so that will be a good chance for everyone to see and judge the fit of Bridges for themselves.

Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#30 » by Jammer » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:30 pm

I just thought of a trade that might be fair, that I'm not advocating, but allows the Jazz to move off of John Collins contract if you want to. The 3 players involved from the Jazz (Collins, Horton-Tucker and Clarkson) have all been supposedly available for the "right price" for a while. Here goes:

Straight Swap (No Picks Involved):

Utah sends Charlotte
John Collins $25,340,000 in 2024; $26,580,000 in 2025; Player Option for $26,580,000 in 2026
Jordan Clarkson $23,487,629 in 2024; $14,092,577 in 2025; $14,285,714 in 2026
Talen Horton-Tucker $11,020,000 expiring

Charlotte sends Utah
Gordon Hayward $31,500,000 expiring but WOULD HAVE TO WAIVE HIS 15% TRADE KICKER
Kyle Lowry $29,682,540 expiring
Miles Bridges $7,921,300 expiring

Charlotte Incoming: $59,847,629 in 2024, $40,672,577 in 2025 and $40,865,714 in 2026
Utah Incoming: $69,103,800 in 2024 with 3 expiring Free Agents (option to re-sign Hayward or Bridges)

Utah gives up someone who would probably net 2nd Round Picks on his own (Clarkson), a 1rst if a bad contract were coming back (i.e. Fournier) but offloads Collins as they have a surplus of Power Forwards and Collins as a small ball center is OK offensively but doesn't cut it defensively.

A similar trade that also might make sense is if you simply remove Clarkson and Hayward from the deal, leaving:

Utah sends Charlotte John Collins and Talen Horton-Tucker

Charlotte sends Utah Kyle Lowry and Miles Bridges

Just wondering out loud ... not pushing it in any way ...
HadAnEffectHere
Sixth Man
And1: 816

Post#31 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:47 pm

Love to take on Gordon Hayward and Miles Bridges. They've really helped the Hornets this year.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#32 » by Jammer » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:07 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Love to take on Gordon Hayward and Miles Bridges. They've really helped the Hornets this year.

The point of the trade was to move off Collins contract, and have the option to have Bird Rights to re-sign, if you wanted, either Hayward or Bridges at a price point Utah deems cost effective PRESUMING they deem the Talent fit and Personality Fit appropriate for either player.

At worst, it moves off Collins contract if you want to. I'm not advocating, just throwing out the possibility. In addition to winning games, teams are also run like a business from a Profit and Loss sense, so there are other considerations (future cap space, etc.).

Getting opinions on it, like you provided, was the whole point. You're not enthused. You weren't supposed to be. But, teams make decisions for a variety of reasons. It's a plausible way to move off Collins contract, which is deemed negative value, without providing any draft compensation.

The alternative is to hold onto Collins to go after a Big Fish or better Fit.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 455

Post#33 » by bkohler » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:41 pm

Personally I’d love to move Collins for Lowry. I think Lowry could still have something left in the tank for this year and I’d love to get off Collins contract and frankly he’s an odd fit for our personnel.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#34 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:37 am

Jammer wrote:I just thought of a trade that might be fair, that I'm not advocating, but allows the Jazz to move off of John Collins contract if you want to. The 3 players involved from the Jazz (Collins, Horton-Tucker and Clarkson) have all been supposedly available for the "right price" for a while. Here goes:

Straight Swap (No Picks Involved):

Utah sends Charlotte
John Collins $25,340,000 in 2024; $26,580,000 in 2025; Player Option for $26,580,000 in 2026
Jordan Clarkson $23,487,629 in 2024; $14,092,577 in 2025; $14,285,714 in 2026
Talen Horton-Tucker $11,020,000 expiring

Charlotte sends Utah
Gordon Hayward $31,500,000 expiring but WOULD HAVE TO WAIVE HIS 15% TRADE KICKER
Kyle Lowry $29,682,540 expiring
Miles Bridges $7,921,300 expiring

Charlotte Incoming: $59,847,629 in 2024, $40,672,577 in 2025 and $40,865,714 in 2026
Utah Incoming: $69,103,800 in 2024 with 3 expiring Free Agents (option to re-sign Hayward or Bridges)

Utah gives up someone who would probably net 2nd Round Picks on his own (Clarkson), a 1rst if a bad contract were coming back (i.e. Fournier) but offloads Collins as they have a surplus of Power Forwards and defensively Collins as a small ball center is OK offensively but doesn't cut it defensively.

A similar trade that also might make sense is if you simply remove Clarkson and Hayward from the deal, leaving:

Utah sends Charlotte John Collins and Talen Horton-Tucker

Charlotte sends Utah Kyle Lowry and Miles Bridges

Just wondering out loud ... not pushing it in any way ...

Gordon is making way to much for what the jazz needs are. Back up SF and I'm happy with all our guys and contracts. Just bring him back next year and team friendly if he wants to return back? Thinking healthy? 14 mil and year two year deal. Kyle NOT and Bridges I like as a player but not wanting his off court issues.
Wolverine
Bench Warmer
And1: 113

Post#35 » by Wolverine » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:17 am

bkohler wrote:Personally I’d love to move Collins for Lowry. I think Lowry could still have something left in the tank for this year and I’d love to get off Collins contract and frankly he’s an odd fit for our personnel.

Just what we need, another guard
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,627

Post#36 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:00 am

Jammer wrote:
Charlotte sends Utah

I would rather stick my finger in an old pencil sharpner and turn the crank for an hour than ever watch Haywood in a Jazz jersey again.

IMO, Haywood should go and have intimate relations with himself.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
bkohler
Rookie

Post#37 » by bkohler » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:12 am

Wolverine wrote:
bkohler wrote:Personally I’d love to move Collins for Lowry. I think Lowry could still have something left in the tank for this year and I’d love to get off Collins contract and frankly he’s an odd fit for our personnel.

Just what we need, another guard

LOL, well I'm not sure we need another PF/C either. We obviously need some roster balance but I'd love getting out of the Collins experiment asap
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#38 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:20 am

Hayward, Lowry and Bridges all expire at the end of the season. The cap relief for the Jazz if they were to do this trade would be massive--69M off the payroll is huge. It gives Jazz fans what they wanted--more minutes for Hendricks and maybe other young players like Sensei and more minutes for George, they get to take a look at Bridges and maybe get a leg up in re-signing him (I know some people would hate that), and consolidate the roster. And all that for THT who most Jazz fans don't want to keep, Collins, who most Jazz fans want to flip, and Clarkson, who most Jazz fans think it's time to move on from.

Not a bad trade, I can see the appeal.

bkohler
Rookie

Post#39 » by bkohler » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:22 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Hayward, Lowry and Bridges all expire at the end of the season. The cap relief for the Jazz if they were to do this trade would be massive--69M off the payroll is huge. It gives Jazz fans what they wanted--more minutes for Hendricks and maybe other young players like Sensei and more minutes for George, they get to take a look at Bridges and maybe get a leg up in re-signing him (I know some people would hate that), and consolidate the roster. And all that for THT who most Jazz fans don't want to keep, Collins, who most Jazz fans want to flip, and Clarkson, who most Jazz fans think it's time to move on from.

Not a bad trade, I can see the appeal.

I’m 100% certain you could get a second and an expiring for Bridges if you rerouted him if him being on the team is a deal breaker.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,027

Post#40 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Jan 29, 2024 3:07 am

I wonder if there is a single team in the NBA where cap space is less important than the Utah Jazz.

Jazz need to position themselves for trades, not signings. That requires contracts of a decent size, decent players and/or expiring contracts when trading for that desired player.

The Hornets proposed trade whiffs on all of these.

Return to Utah Jazz