The 2024 trade deadline: Jazz version

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

The 2024 trade deadline: Jazz version 

Post#1 » by FJS » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:41 pm

I know there's some discussion in the other trade thread, but I would like to open this one to focus only in today.

We have traded Fontecchio. I think it's a mistake, since Knox is not useful in his career and other picks/rights doesn't seem useful either.
Simone was nothing spectacular, but he found his place and he was playing well at right price.
And it's important players that want to stay in Utah. Foreigners use to like this place.

So, let's gonna watch what happen today.

I hope Ainge doesn't destroy the team in purpose. We´ll see.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Re: The 2024 trade deadline: Jazz version 

Post#2 » by red4hf » Thu Feb 8, 2024 1:50 pm

Unless it's a clear upgrade I'm for no trades......
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#3 » by vryadli » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:36 pm

FJS wrote:
I hope Ainge doesn't destroy the team in purpose. We´ll see.

I don't think Ainge hate the Jazz. But he may like trade games more than in-court competition.

Larr told pretty clear that business is business, but they are uneasy on that time of the year, because theywant ot play together and see what they can really do on court. Just think like that: if you can be evicted from your home to other city, will you put the same efforts in decoration exteriors? You still will pay attention to your personal belongings (aka stats) of course, but long term maintenance and neighbors will not be too important.

And Simone loss is bad enough, given his effort and attitude. If it will be the only blow, it will settled down in a couple weeks, but still. And what the point? Does it move any needles performance-wise? It is just trade for the trade.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#4 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:40 pm

Olynyk and Agbaji traded to the Raptors

Both Lewis and Porter Jr. expire at the end of the season. Don't know much about Lewis other than he's a 6-1 PG who is 22 years old.

I guess Ainge likes this draft?

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#5 » by red4hf » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:48 pm

red4hf wrote:Unless it's a clear upgrade I'm for no trades......

Well, there goes that..... Unless Ainge needs additional picks for a bigger deal....... Hey, I'm allowed to hope.......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#6 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:54 pm

OKC just landed Gordon Hayward. Excellent fit for them.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#7 » by D Rog » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:55 pm

I think it is pretty obvious that Lewis and Porter Jr. are not in the future plans of the Jazz. I am not sure the end game for Danny. He gave up on a 2nd year defensive minded guard who hasn't been great and a highly coveted scoring, facilitating 4/5 for what looks like a 26-30 pick in a weak draft. ?????????????????
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#8 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 3:58 pm

So now the only true SF on the roster is Porter Jr. who I'm not sure of how much he has left in the tank and will probably be gone once the season is over.

Ainge already got the 32nd pick in this draft with the Fontecchio deal, not sure he needs another first from OKC or the Clippers that's going to be in the late 20s. He's clearing a lot of minutes for Hendricks and the Sensei potentially, but he's also 'risking' the Jazz keep the pick they owe to the Thunder by making the team worse. How many picks does he need in this draft?

mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,879

Post#9 » by mcmurphy » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:03 pm

up to now traded the #5, #7 and #9 with more minutes in team without new players (I really don't think the new arrivals will play minutes)

meh
D Rog
Junior

Post#10 » by D Rog » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:07 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:So now the only true SF on the roster is Porter Jr. who I'm not sure of how much he has left in the tank and will probably be gone once the season is over.

Ainge already got the 32nd pick in this draft with the Fontecchio deal, not sure he needs another first from OKC or the Clippers that's going to be in the late 20s. He's clearing a lot of minutes for Hendricks and the Sensei potentially, but he's also 'risking' the Jazz keep the pick they owe to the Thunder by making the team worse. How many picks does he need in this draft?

I have to wonder if Ainge is working his way into a top 8-10 pick in 2024 because he knows who he wants
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#11 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:11 pm

mcmurphy wrote:up to now traded the #5, #7 and #9 with more minutes in team without new players (I really don't think the new arrivals will play minutes)

meh

1. It does clear minutes for Hendricks and Sensei which is something everyone wanted, and could be considered new players in a sense.

2. I clears 12M in cap space (same as if we let Olynyk expire) but also moves Agbaji's contract so that's another 4M cleared.

3. We did get a late FRP, the #32 pick, a young draft and stash prospect (Procida), and possibly our own FRP back if we suck again (I'd much rather we convey it this season but it is what it is).

The value isn't bad, it's just that I wouldn't want to give up on the season. Maybe there are move moves coming.

D Rog
Junior

Post#12 » by D Rog » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:18 pm

I can see a Clarkson for Fournier deal. Danny works to get another pick out of the deal. I believe NYK has the Dallas pick this year (mid teens?) Danny clearing up cap space
D Rog
Junior

Post#13 » by D Rog » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:20 pm

Nope - Burks to NYK
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#14 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:26 pm

Bojan Bogdanovic also traded to the Knicks as part of the Burks deal.

bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#15 » by bkohler » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:36 pm

Saw rumblings of a JC to Indy trade, the Indy beat writers mentioned it after the Hield trade. Not sure what that would look like
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#16 » by Axolotl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:55 pm

D Rog wrote:I think it is pretty obvious that Lewis and Porter Jr. are not in the future plans of the Jazz. I am not sure the end game for Danny. He gave up on a 2nd year defensive minded guard who hasn't been great and a highly coveted scoring, facilitating 4/5 for what looks like a 26-30 pick in a weak draft. ?????????????????

My thoughts exactly, can't see what Ainge is aiming at. Porter and Lewis are not contributors, and will be gone (I hope), so is Ainge going to try to package late firsts & something to get a higher first or what?
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#17 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:11 pm

I am not happy losing Olynyk, Font and Ochai for seemingly not much in return. Jazz didn't get much for Conley and NAW at last year's trade deadline either. Both of them are playing well for the first place Wolves. Wolves' fans like NAW for his defense and his ability to fill in at three different positions. NAW is averaging 23 mpg with the Wolves.

Olynyk's last game as a Jazzman: 10 pts on 6 fga with 7 ast, 4 rebs, 2 orebs and 0 tovs in 16 minutes of play. That's efficiently filling up the stat sheet in limited minutes and will be difficult to replace.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#18 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:12 pm

It's pretty funny how the Jazz kept leaking that they wanted to make the playoffs to give up their pick to OKC and now they're tanking because they want to keep the pick.

Just an extremely annoying lie to leak to the media people. Why do that.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#19 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:21 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:It's pretty funny how the Jazz kept leaking that they wanted to make the playoffs to give up their pick to OKC and now they're tanking because they want to keep the pick.

But what would be the point if they already got another first and the 32nd pick? How many picks in a weak draft to they need? Unless they're planning on tanking the 2025 season too in what is expected to be a strong draft? Things are weird right now.

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#20 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:23 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:It's pretty funny how the Jazz kept leaking that they wanted to make the playoffs to give up their pick to OKC and now they're tanking because they want to keep the pick.

But what would be the point if they already got another first and the 32nd pick? How many picks in a weak draft to they need? Unless they're planning on tanking the 2025 season too in what is expected to be a strong draft? Things are weird right now.

Ehh, 2025 is a pretty average class and I'm sure they're planning to tank in 2025 as well unless they get another star (via development or trade)

I would guess the goal will be to package 28 and 32 to move up to like 22 or something.

Return to Utah Jazz