The 2024 trade deadline: Jazz version

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

mcmurphy
Starter
And1: 1,877

Re: The 2024 trade deadline: Jazz version 

Post#61 » by mcmurphy » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:48 pm

https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/1627246/lauri-markkanen-simone-fontecchio-utah-jazz-trade-nba/

“You go to the bus after the game and we all sit together on the bus and now it’s a bunch of empty seats in front of you. Just every day little stuff like that hits you. All of a sudden I have different guys shooting with me at my pregame shooting time rather than Simone [Fontecchio]. So, it’s gonna take some time to get used to. And like I said, it happens every year, but there’s the same empty feeling every year”, he also said about not playing anymore with the Italian forward.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#62 » by vryadli » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:03 pm

[quote="AGE1207"]

The value we got for players we weren’t going to resign is minimal and doesn’t weigh up against the loss of chemistry we had in that locker room or the experience we could have built with the play inns.
Meanwhile guys that played their buds off were shipped out for peanuts.
Yes, it’s a business and we cleared some more cap space but it cuts both ways. What kind of message did the FO just send to the NBA? Come and play for the Jazz? And what kind of message did the FO just send to the fans? Buy season tickets? And what kind of message to the locker room and coaching staff? Win but not too often? Score but not too much?

Stupid moves going against the Jazz culture.[
/quote]

Only I would said "a sgnificant negative value". Because I just can't invent scenario where this will make Jazz to play better ior now or in future. Unless some young men who didn't play now are catulally next LeBrons in disguise and just need PT to unmask yourselves.

By the way, on hilarious side, already Ainge demonstrated absolutely uncanny skill to improve team's on-court through senational trades. I mean other teams, which he fleeced in those trades, It took him 2 trades to put Minnesota on top, but the real miracle he performed for Cleveland. Honestly, I never ever expected such a jump for Cavaliers. So lets look for current objects of his magic. Will Detroit be going up like a rocket?
jazzvintage
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#63 » by jazzvintage » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:04 pm

Locke's job is to find the right dialectics to explain/justify Jazz organizational life. Kind of an influencer throwing forward adequate optics from the Jazz brass standpoint. He's good at it in the sense he seems to get his job description and execute it to the best of his abilities. Sadly enough, his logic is flawed.

Jazz decided not to tank for a chance at you know who. Now they send away 2 good players with lots of good intangibles... for 28th and 32th of next draft, guys to waive, most probably a new ATomic case, and a great increase of the odds not to convey to OKC this next draft... and some cap space next summer. Unless some star is trying to find his way to Utah...

Next in line is to witness how they kill they're 9th pick basketball reputation by playing him in an ill-constructed, kind of experimental team, when he's quite some time away from being ready.

I expect DA to execute an astonishing draft night and off-season masterpiece, because if not...
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Post#64 » by FJS » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:04 pm

Knox is waived. i Guess we have one free spot.
Cappy_Smurf
Head Coach
And1: 9,624

Post#65 » by Cappy_Smurf » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:58 pm

vryadli wrote:
RookieJazz wrote:
bkohler wrote:The collective meltdown and anger over a 500 team selling off some vets is kinda funny.

I am more than frustrated right now. Hoping someone offer 5 1st for Lauri and we can reset the team decently.

Exactly. Time to trade him till the value is high. This summer the latest, I' say. Only maybe not for 5 FRP, but for 15 or even 20 second rounders? Then next February will be good time to trade Kessler.

Lol.

I can't wait until we get a high draft pick so we can start making plans for when we can trade that guy.
Dwayne "smells like" Bacon, A.K.A. The Policeman.

Dude needs to wear #50, that way when he's on the fast break, everybody can yell "Here comes five-oh!"
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 712

Post#66 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sat Feb 10, 2024 10:33 pm

Cappy_Smurf wrote:
vryadli wrote:
RookieJazz wrote:
I am more than frustrated right now. Hoping someone offer 5 1st for Lauri and we can reset the team decently.

Exactly. Time to trade him till the value is high. This summer the latest, I' say. Only maybe not for 5 FRP, but for 15 or even 20 second rounders? Then next February will be good time to trade Kessler.

Lol.

I can't wait until we get a high draft pick so we can start making plans for when we can trade that guy.

You joke, but I'm guessing we probably trade Walker Kessler to the Grizz for like the 7th pick this June, lol.
jazzvintage
Ballboy

Post#67 » by jazzvintage » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:17 pm

At least now we trade guys. I remember when they let them go for nothing.
Besides, the way suspicious scouting continues to exist, it wouldn't be rare to find good players in a so called "bad draft".
May be DA is at his personal "better lucky than good" stage.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#68 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:41 pm

jazzvintage wrote:At least now we trade guys. I remember when they let them go for nothing.
Besides, the way suspicious scouting continues to exist, it wouldn't be rare to find good players in a so called "bad draft".

I've watched a lot of these guys and they just suck, I'm sorry.

Obviously they could improve because they're 19, but man, there's like zero physical talent in this draft. Every top prospect other than Sarr and Holland is a well below average athlete. Never seen a draft where the ability to jump was in such short supply. There's role player potential, but Cody Williams has easily the highest ceiling in this draft and his ceiling is like Pascal Siakam. JaKobe Walter is a guaranteed top 9 guy with a max ceiling of KCP.
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#69 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:54 pm

AGE1207 wrote:
The value we got for players we weren’t going to resign is minimal and doesn’t weigh up against the loss of chemistry we had in that locker room or the experience we could have built with the play inns.
If we had too many rotation quality players, the first guy to ship out should have been THT. He wanted out and hadn’t played for months but he is still on board. Why? Meanwhile guys that played their buds off were shipped out for peanuts.
Yes, it’s a business and we cleared some more cap space but it cuts both ways. What kind of message did the FO just send to the NBA? Come and play for the Jazz? And what kind of message did the FO just send to the fans? Buy season tickets? And what kind of message to the locker room and coaching staff? Win but not too often? Score but not too much?

I hope this doesn’t bite them in the ass when it comes to extending LM or others…I know I would think twice now…

Stupid moves going against the Jazz culture.

Yes, I am becoming concerned about our future with Markkanen. He has been playing for us with a wonderful attitude, only to have his most talented teammates, friends and opportunity to compete for a playoff spot arguably stripped away at the trade deadline --- two seasons in a row.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#70 » by D Rog » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:23 pm

https://www.si.com/nba/jazz/news/utah-jazz-throwing-towel-bad-business-zanik

Liked this article questioning / criticizing Jazz management.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#71 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:44 pm

I didn't have any hope for Porter Jr. He seems to be on a steep decline and playing him nullifies the purpose of the trade that got him to begin with, which was to open more minutes for Hendricks and maybe the Sensei.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
jazzvintage
Ballboy

Post#72 » by jazzvintage » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:49 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
jazzvintage wrote:At least now we trade guys. I remember when they let them go for nothing.

I've watched a lot of these guys and they just suck, I'm sorry.

Obviously they could improve because they're 19, but man, there's like zero physical talent in this draft. Every top prospect other than Sarr and Holland is a well below average athlete. Never seen a draft where the ability to jump was in such short supply. There's role player potential, but Cody Williams has easily the highest ceiling in this draft and his ceiling is like Pascal Siakam. JaKobe Walter is a guaranteed top 9 guy with a max ceiling of KCP.

For the last 2 weeks or so I've been watching some footage, games... and you might be right :(
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,682

Post#73 » by Crunch 99 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:07 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:I didn't have any hope for Porter Jr. He seems to be on a steep decline and playing him nullifies the purpose of the trade that got him to begin with, which was to open more minutes for Hendricks and maybe the Sensei.

Porter has had a lot of injury problems, but he's only 30 and might revive to help whatever contender he signs with. Regardless, it is frustrating to come out with so little help from trading Olynyk, Font and Ochai. Hopefully we start to see some good things out of KG, Hendricks and Sensei.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#74 » by bkohler » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:12 am

Tony Jones reported today that Jazz were attempting to use their assets to buy at the deadline and that it was a starter but not a star but better than normal starter level. I'm trying to figure out who it would be. He mentioned it wasn't someone that they have been tied to, and it would have shocked the entire NBA.

He also mentioned that had the deal gone through they would have emerged with both the new picks and the player. Seems like it would have had to be a swap for someone like Clarkson/Dunn if that was the case.
AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Post#75 » by AGE1207 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:00 am

I’m confused. So we were trying to get stronger after all? And get to the playoffs?
So this whole “we are doing this so we can get our rookies more playing time” and “this is part of our LT strategy” explanation after the deadline is what?
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#76 » by Inigo Montoya » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:03 pm

AGE1207 wrote:I’m confused. So we were trying to get stronger after all? And get to the playoffs?
So this whole “we are doing this so we can get our rookies more playing time” and “this is part of our LT strategy” explanation after the deadline is what?

Taking into account reports that Ainge tried to trade for Lillard, Jrue and Porzingis, the way I'm reading the situation is that the Jazz are trying to be competitive but not at all costs. I think Ainge is probably trying to be opportunistic and when there is a star on the market, he's trying to get that player at somewhat of a bargain rather than being willing to pay full price because they are not his main targets. There are probably a few players he's keeping an eye on and be willing to give a big offer for but they are not the ones who are currently available. Until then, if he's unable to get a star who isn't a main target for somewhat of a bargain, he's fine just letting things play out an accumulate more assets.

Not saying I like what the Jazz have done in the trade deadline but that's my impression of what's going on.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#77 » by bkohler » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:18 pm

Yeah, I think you’re exactly right. Danny is after value where ever he can get it.
vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#78 » by vryadli » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:23 pm

bkohler wrote:Yeah, I think you’re exactly right. Danny is after value where ever he can get it.

...even if it can't be reasonably used and will rot on the shelf. Somewhat like players competing for the personal stats. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#79 » by bkohler » Fri Feb 23, 2024 11:30 pm

vryadli wrote:
bkohler wrote:Yeah, I think you’re exactly right. Danny is after value where ever he can get it.

...even if it can't be reasonably used and will rot on the shelf. Somewhat like players competing for the personal stats. Yeah, that makes perfect sense.

I don't quite understand what you're referring to here?
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#80 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:42 pm

bkohler wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
bkohler wrote:

This is what has confused me; we’re currently 10th with one of the hardest schedules in the league left. Without making any moves and with great injury luck we’d still need to win a playin game or two to make the playoffs.

People act like we’re a top 4 team, we’re a long ways from that.

I mean, I guess, but it's just weird to intentionally miss the play-in to get like... the 8th pick, lol.

We intentionally missed the playoffs last year to get the 9th pick who has been... ehh in the G-League and that's pretty common for guys in the 6-10 range, there's not usually a ton of great players there. Hendricks can probably be an average starting PF one day and then maybe we can draft JaKobe Butler who can one day be an average starting SG but like... Not super exciting moves and feels very weird compared to both trying to win or trying to tank.

These half-tanks are weird.

I guess that’s where I see it differently. I don’t think these moves are about where we end up at the end of the year. I think they’re about getting value for players we weren’t going to resign.

I honestly think that there’s 50/50 odds we play at the about the same rate as we did in the rest of the year. A big part of that is Hardy is great and so is Lauri. If the floor of those two together isn’t far from our current ceiling why not sell off vets for value?

I think the Jazz sending their pick to OKC this year AND getting additional picks is the goal / hope.

Since this post, the Jazz have barely played Markkanen in attempt to super tank and we have won 3 of the last 19 games.

Tanking to get the pick back was absolutely the goal, lol.

The bizarre lies Ainge told to Tony Jones etc about wanting to convey the pick this year were just weird lies, not an actual goal.

Return to Utah Jazz