Jazz sign Kenny Lofton and Darius Bazely

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Jazz sign Kenny Lofton and Darius Bazely 

Post#1 » by babyjax13 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:29 pm

Both to 3-year non-guaranteed deals. Both are interesting in their own ways. Lofton is a very 'weird bodied' guy for the current NBA, but is extremely skilled. If he continues to cut down weight I think he makes it as a really nice change-of-pace backup center somewhere. I've always liked the idea of Bazely. Disruptive defender who (and this is the "idea" part of it) can hit threes. Now, historically he doesn't actually hit them, so ... but he's young, and I think he is worth another chance.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Re: Jazz sign Kenny Lofton and Darius Bazely 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:12 pm

Weird signings, especially Lofton. He is indeed skilled but I don't think he has much to contribute overall. Don't know about being a backup center somewhere, don't know many centers in general who are 6'7.

As for Bazely, I think he was once on the Jazz's radar and ended up being drafted by OKC using the Jazz's pick (that they got from Memphis when the Jazz traded for Conley). Maybe he improved his skills in the last several years, I don't mind the Jazz taking a look to see if there is something there.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#3 » by red4hf » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:19 pm

I doubt either one will play even 5 minutes for the Jazz......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#4 » by Inigo Montoya » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:24 pm

red4hf wrote:I doubt either one will play even 5 minutes for the Jazz......

I think there is a pretty good chance we'll see them play for the Jazz this season as they continue to tank and sit players out.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#5 » by bkohler » Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:36 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

I think there is a pretty good chance we'll see them play for the Jazz this season as they continue to tank and sit players out.

Yeah, it seems pretty clear the Jazz are once again hunting for value anywhere they can find it. I expect them to give both of these guys minutes and see if there's anything there.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,299

Post#6 » by babyjax13 » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:01 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:Weird signings, especially Lofton. He is indeed skilled but I don't think he has much to contribute overall. Don't know about being a backup center somewhere, don't know many centers in general who are 6'7.

As for Bazely, I think he was once on the Jazz's radar and ended up being drafted by OKC using the Jazz's pick (that they got from Memphis when the Jazz traded for Conley). Maybe he improved his skills in the last several years, I don't mind the Jazz taking a look to see if there is something there.

Isaiah Stewart is 6-8 and Montrezl Harrell is 6-7. His path is essentially to be a bench scorer like they are/were.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,023

Post#7 » by SoCalJazzFan » Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:22 pm

I had expected Bazley to have a better career than he has.
red4hf

Post#8 » by red4hf » Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:17 pm

bkohler wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Yeah, it seems pretty clear the Jazz are once again hunting for value anywhere they can find it. I expect them to give both of these guys minutes and see if there's anything there.

Neither one of these players has any "value." If they did, they'd be playing elsewhere.....
bkohler
Rookie

Post#9 » by bkohler » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:21 am

Same was true of Kris dunn and Simone last season.
Sometimes it’s just the right place and time for a player to develop and thrive. The vaunted heat culture that everyone talks about is really just finding cast offs and developing them into useful players. Might as well attempt to do the same here
tugs
RealGM
And1: 2,926

Post#10 » by tugs » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:48 am

Baz was solid in the GLeague and clearly showed he doesn't belong there. It's a matter of opportunities and consistencies for him
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#11 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:44 am

red4hf wrote:
bkohler wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:I think there is a pretty good chance we'll see them play for the Jazz this season as they continue to tank and sit players out.

Neither one of these players has any "value." If they did, they'd be playing elsewhere.....

That's the point, finding guys on the cheap that currently have little to no value and see if they can be turned into valuable players. Royce O'Neale didn't have any value when the Jazz signed him, he went undrafted and played in Europe and the Jazz recognized he could be a good NBA player. He ended up being a valuable rotation piece and was traded for a FRP. Same deal with Fontecchio. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, like with Samanic, for example.

red4hf

Post#12 » by red4hf » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:09 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:
bkohler wrote:

That's the point, finding guys on the cheap that currently have little to no value and see if they can be turned into valuable players. Royce O'Neale didn't have any value when the Jazz signed him, he went undrafted and played in Europe and the Jazz recognized he could be a good NBA player. He ended up being a valuable rotation piece and was traded for a FRP. Same deal with Fontecchio. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, like with Samanic, for example.

OK..... If either one fetches a pick 6 years from now you can comeback and throw it in my face....... Just a slight difference though, Royce didn't play for any other teams, these 2 have........
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#13 » by Inigo Montoya » Tue Mar 12, 2024 4:24 pm

red4hf wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:

OK..... If either one fetches a pick 6 years from now you can comeback and throw it in my face....... Just a slight difference though, Royce didn't play for any other teams, these 2 have........

And Bazley as a second year player in the NBA averaged 13.7pts+7.2rbs+1.8ast+0.5blk+0.5stl at 20 years old and has good physical tools, so he has some body of work to show he can play in the league. I think Lofton is talented but I don't have much hopes for him in the NBA. But these are moves with zero risk so I don't know what's not to like about them.

vryadli
Rookie
And1: 358

Post#14 » by vryadli » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:34 pm

bkohler wrote:Same was true of Kris dunn and Simone last season.
Sometimes it’s just the right place and time for a player to develop and thrive. The vaunted heat culture that everyone talks about is really just finding cast offs and developing them into useful players. Might as well attempt to do the same here

I'm not follow Heat. Do they trade like trash those cast offs like trash after developing them into useful players? Or let them compete on the floor?
bkohler
Rookie

Post#15 » by bkohler » Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:22 pm

vryadli wrote:
bkohler wrote:Same was true of Kris dunn and Simone last season.

I'm not follow Heat. Do they trade like trash those cast offs like trash after developing them into useful players? Or let them compete on the floor?

Little of both honestly. They develop and then keep looking for chances to upgrade.

Return to Utah Jazz