What are the odds we are among the 3 worst teams next year?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Hoops Addict
Sixth Man
And1: 164

What are the odds we are among the 3 worst teams next year? 

Post#1 » by Hoops Addict » Sun Mar 24, 2024 4:02 am

Trading Olynyk and Ochi away made the Jazz a lot worse. The team is terrible. Could we be the 3rd worse next year?

I do not mind if we are in the top 5 picks in the draft the next 2 years,

I guess there is a 25% chance the Jazz are in the bottom 3 next year,
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Re: What are the odds we are among the 3 worst teams next year? 

Post#2 » by Hugi Mancura » Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:31 am

Utah will be very bad. I think Utah will play with current roster, add 3 rookies and couple veterans, which they try to trade during season. Utah will win about 20 games next year, even with Markkanen. But that would mean they would be around bottom 5 this year. Will next year have as many bad teams as this year? Probably couple of those bottom feeders want to be better, but still that would mean 5 or so teams will be bad. So Utah have a good change to be bottom 3, but I do think teams like Washington, Toronto and Portland will be lousier. Probably not bottom 3, but bottom 5 is almost locked.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:05 am

If they want to be that bad they'll need to either trade Markkanen or not play him.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#4 » by Hugi Mancura » Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:26 am

Not sure is that necessary to trade Markkanen. Utah have been worst team in NBA after the trade deadline. Adding 2-3 rookies won't make team better. True Markkanen have been injured most of the games, so probably they wouldn't be the worst team with him. Right now Utah have two good NBA players; Sexton and Markkanen, so I think trading one of them could be enough to make sure team will be very bad next year.

Young players usually develops during summer, but so does young players from all the bad teams and there is no reason to believe Utah youths develop more than youths from other teams. So I wouldn't put too much faith on development for next year.
AGE1207
Senior
And1: 136

Post#5 » by AGE1207 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:30 pm

Barring injuries, I doubt very much we will be among the worst 3 teams next season.
During summer I expect we will try to “extend” Markannen and if so, he will surely have his demands, including on the team’s roster and strength. I am pretty sure this current “strategy” isn’t working for him. Once u add a really strong extra player, next to Sexton and Markannen, it becomes impossible to be among the worst teams next season.

Of course it becomes a whole different ball game if Markannen refuses to extend and starts seeking a way out. Then all bets are off…
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 541

Post#6 » by ForeverRDjazz » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:33 pm

AGE1207 wrote:Barring injuries, I doubt very much we will be among the worst 3 teams next season.
During summer I expect we will try to “extend” Markannen and if so, he will surely have his demands, including on the team’s roster and strength. I am pretty sure this current “strategy” isn’t working for him. Once u add a really strong extra player, next to Sexton and Markannen, it becomes impossible to be among the worst teams next season.

Of course it becomes a whole different ball game if Markannen refuses to extend and starts seeking a way out. Then all bets are off…

So if Markannen gets offer for max from top 16 teams why would he resign with team in rebuild mode that very easy trade him for picks and keep rebuild? He has some control for what team he wishes to play for. Jazz might not be top 3 but they will be top 15 for worst teams next year. It's time to totally go rebuild and tried both JC and LM and get out of top 16 and get into top 3 next year.

Return to Utah Jazz