Game 73: Utah Jazz (29-43) vs San Antonio Spurs (16-56)

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,465

Game 73: Utah Jazz (29-43) vs San Antonio Spurs (16-56) 

Post#1 » by Inigo Montoya » Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:50 am

It's almost the end of the season and the Spurs have 16 wins and that's with Wemby and essentially the same roster. Last season they won 22 games. It is unlikely they'll get to that mark and that's a very weird situation, that they'll be losing even more games with the same roster + Wemby.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
FJS
Senior Mod - Jazz
Senior Mod - Jazz
And1: 2,064

Re: Game 73: Utah Jazz (29-43) vs San Antonio Spurs (16-56) 

Post#2 » by FJS » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:22 am

Still we are worse.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#3 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 am

The first quarter and a half were one of the worst basketball I've seen in a long while (and feels like I'm saying it more and more lately). The Jazz failed to inbound the ball at least 3 times in this game. They made it a respectable score in the end but this game was not their finest hour, to say the least.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
TNJazz
Rookie
And1: 431

Post#4 » by TNJazz » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

As hard a it is admit, I might be joining the FJS train and not watching anymore games this season. They only reason since the trade I have watched is I paid for League Pass and hate to throw that $$ away. UGLY basketball, if that is what it is called lately. This was the only game I had hoped they might win for the rest fo the season and they were completely outclassed. Hardy was beside himself and used every player available but 1 in the 1st quarter! Good thing we played Detroit back when this team seemed to be on track for improvement over last year otherwise we might be where they are right now. Actually we are worse than they are, we just didn't have the long loosing streak.
red4hf
Jazz Forum GTS Champion 2019-2020
And1: 981

Post#5 » by red4hf » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:46 pm

I can't watch this team anymore as well...... I get no pleasure out of watching them play.......
jazzvintage
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#6 » by jazzvintage » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

Is it fair to ask if this ownership has transformed the Jazz in the worst basketball show of the NBA?
Many fans and basketball related people were on board with the end of the Don/Rudy/Q era, but what Jazz brass have done after that is just plainly wrong. I think Danny Ainge is going to kill the franchise if the rest of the guys don't wake up quickly.
And I'm starting to think coach is part of the problem too.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#7 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

jazzvintage wrote:Is it fair to ask if this ownership has transformed the Jazz in the worst basketball show of the NBA?
Many fans and basketball related people were on board with the end of the Don/Rudy/Q era, but what Jazz brass have done after that is just plainly wrong. I think Danny Ainge is going to kill the franchise if the rest of the guys don't wake up quickly.

I'm not sure what you were expecting after the Jazz blew it up. Did you expect them to be good right away? If anything the Jazz exceeded expectations twice in a row until they decided to tank. Two seasons of losing and already people think the franchise is about to die... A lot of people wanted the Jazz to tank last season from the beginning and if they had, this current team is what it would have looked like. We can't go in a rebuild and expect to be good right away. If we are, we're probably not rebuilding right and end up stuck in the middle. Do we want a 32-37 win team for the next 5 years or are we willing to accept a 22-25 win team for a season or two? If anything, the Jazz should be criticized for not tanking from the beginning and pivoting to tanking halfway through.

red4hf

Post#8 » by red4hf » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
jazzvintage wrote:Is it fair to ask if this ownership has transformed the Jazz in the worst basketball show of the NBA?

I'm not sure what you were expecting after the Jazz blew it up. Did you expect them to be good right away? If anything the Jazz exceeded expectations twice in a row until they decided to tank. Two seasons of losing and already people think the franchise is about to die... A lot of people wanted the Jazz to tank last season from the beginning and if they had, this current team is what is would have looked like. We can't go in a rebuild and expect to be good right away. If we are, we're probably not rebuilding right and end up stuck in the middle. Do we want a 32-37 win team for the next 5 years or are we willing to accept a 22-25 win team for a season or two? If anything, the Jazz should be criticized for not tanking from the beginning and pivoting to tanking halfway through.

I don't think the team is about to die, but i think it's fair to question some decisions that have been made...... Some of them have made no sense...... It's OK to say that......
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#9 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 pm

red4hf wrote:I don't think the team is about to die, but i think it's fair to question some decisions that have been made...... Some of them have made no sense...... It's OK to say that......

Absolutely, no problem with that. But I think this encapsulates why the Jazz never go all in on tanking, because the fanbase has very low pain tolerance.

WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 185

Post#10 » by WinterSoldier » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:41 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
red4hf wrote:I don't think the team is about to die, but i think it's fair to question some decisions that have been made...... Some of them have made no sense...... It's OK to say that......

Absolutely, no problem with that. But I think this encapsulates why the Jazz never go all in on tanking, because the fanbase has very low pain tolerance.

I'm beginning to believe that Danny Ainge is experienced enough to go full tank knowing that in 4-5 years when the Jazz will have a real contender like OKC, MIN, BOS, PHI, and the fans will be back with many brand new bandwagoners hitching on.
red4hf

Post#11 » by red4hf » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:

I think fan base would accept it for a year or 2 if we got to see the draft picks play major minutes..... Instead we get Collins, and Olynyk who is then traded for scraps..... That's what frustrates me...... Pick a direction already.......
jazzvintage
Ballboy

Post#12 » by jazzvintage » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:01 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:

On the contrary. IMHO fan base has lots of tolerance if things are somewhat consistent, coherent, with an intent.
But the whole thing after dismantling the Don/Rudy era became just nonsense.
They should have tanked properly for a chance at VW, but they awkwardly decided not to.
This season if they were going to tank then they should have done it properly (of course the big question would have remained unanswered: if they did it not for a chance at VW what in the hell are they doing tanking for a washed up draft class?).
And another unanswered question: What was DA thinking parting ways with a bunch of good basketball players for some cents on the dollar? Leave Mike and Kelly on this team and youngsters would have been learning good team basketball and NBA top professionalism. On the other hand he has actually build up a top tier team... which happens to be the team he should not be helping being a top one because.... it's the team that owes us a bunch of picks ans swaps!).
jazzvintage
Ballboy

Post#13 » by jazzvintage » Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:24 am

red4hf wrote:...... Pick a direction already.......

That's it :clap:

Return to Utah Jazz