The Eliminateds

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,606

The Eliminateds 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Apr 13, 2024 11:13 pm

https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2370869

Fans of the teams below... Answer the following for the teams already eliminated...

Nets
Hornets
Pistons
Rockets
Grizzlies
Trail Blazers
Spurs
Raptors
Jazz
Wizards

1. The following players will 100% be back with the team next year...
2. The following players will 100% be gone next year...
3. The 3 things my team must accomplish this off-season are... (Note: this could be cap wise, on the court needs wise, coaching change, free agency/draft needs/targets, etc.)
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,466

Re: The Eliminateds 

Post#2 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:00 am

NYG wrote:https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2370869

1. The following players will 100% be back with the team next year...
2. The following players will 100% be gone next year...
3. The 3 things my team must accomplish this off-season are... (Note: this could be cap wise, on the court needs wise, coaching change, free agency/draft needs/targets, etc.)

1. Anyone not listed in point #2 is likely to be back unless a trade happens.

2. Imho:
2.1 Lewis and THT are definitely gone.
2.2 Yurtseven is under contract for next season and as far as I can see his contract is guaranteed.
2.3 Lofton and Bazley are on a 3-year non-guaranteed deals they only signed recently so I think they'll be back.
2.4 Potter and Juzang - hard to guess. I think they either stay in the d-league or they move on.
2.5 Dunn will have suitors. Not sure he'll stay with the Jazz, he should go to whichever team offers him the most money.

3. It's hard to say because the front office hasn't delineated a clear vision of what their goals are and what they want to do other that 'build a championship team.' In practice, their moves have been all over the place so it's hard to say what the Jazz should do because it's not clear what they are aiming for (i.e. tanking or competitiveness).

Assuming they are still trying to tank:

3.1 trade Markkanen, otherwise they'll once again half-ass the tank and end up with a pick in the 8-10 range instead of the 1-4 range. This is further complicated by the fact that they will probably give Markkanen a new contract so they won't be able to trade him for a period of time after that, which will hurt any tanking efforts.
3.2 unload Collins and Clarkson
3.3 sell high on Sexton

If they are trying to build around this core and try to compete:

3.4 consolidate assets and swing for a big trade. Probably the most likely name that is gettable is Trae Young.
3.5 give Markkanen a new contract and keep him
3.6 round up the roster with a high-quality vet who can still play at a high level - the most glaring need is at the wing.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 738

Post#3 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:50 pm

We absolutely have to trade John Collins and we almost certainly won't.

I would expect the Jazz trade like #8 and Walker Kessler for #1 if the Pistons get the pick because I think the relationship between the Jazz/Hardy and Kessler is ruined at this point.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#4 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:42 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:We absolutely have to trade John Collins and we almost certainly won't.

I would expect the Jazz trade like #8 and Walker Kessler for #1 if the Pistons get the pick because I think the relationship between the Jazz/Hardy and Kessler is ruined at this point.

Have there been any news or rumors that say the Jazz/Hardy and Kessler have a strained relationship?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#5 » by HadAnEffectHere » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:06 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:We absolutely have to trade John Collins and we almost certainly won't.

Have there been any news or rumors that say the Jazz/Hardy and Kessler have a strained relationship?

Kessler was benched for an inferior player for team chemistry and Hardy started playing schemes that didn't fit Kessler at all. I think Hardy thinks Kessler is a dinosaur and I would guess Kessler thinks Hardy is sabotaging his career.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#6 » by Inigo Montoya » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:12 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

Kessler was benched for an inferior player for team chemistry and Hardy started playing schemes that didn't fit Kessler at all. I think Hardy thinks Kessler is a dinosaur and I would guess Kessler thinks Hardy is sabotaging his career.

It don't have an issue with this interpretation of things but it is conjecture. If things are that bad between them we'd probably hear something.

D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#7 » by D Rog » Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:57 pm

To answer the original question #1 (Who will 100% be back?) and #2 (Who will 100% be gone?)
For the Jazz, especially with Ainge leading the way, all players are available - there are none that are 100% back. Based on the performance after the trade deadline, maybe the coach and front office should be included (but I doubt that will happen).

To answer question #3 - While I think Ainge should tank next season and try to pick up 2 top 10 picks in the summer of 2025, I think 3 or 4 consecutive seasons of losing (intentionally losing) is dangerous for the culture of a team.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#8 » by D Rog » Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:02 pm

Regarding Kessler - I think his stint with Team USA last summer impacted his chance to work with Jazz coaches on his role with the team. I would give him this summer to work with the Jazz coaching staff.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:16 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:

It don't have an issue with this interpretation of things but it is conjecture. If things are that bad between them we'd probably hear something.

And today we heard something!

Read on Twitter

But it's been pretty obvious for a while that Hardy views Kessler as a dinosaur and that Kessler was really unhappy about being benched.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#10 » by bkohler » Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:59 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

And today we heard something!

Read on Twitter

But it's been pretty obvious for a while that Hardy views Kessler as a dinosaur and that Kessler was really unhappy about being benched.

Thank you for sharing this, I hadn’t heard anything about this all year but it makes a lot of sense.

Return to Utah Jazz