Which star would you be trying to get for the Jazz?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,026

Re: Which star would you be trying to get for the Jazz? 

Post#21 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:03 am

Jazz Dog wrote:I would use Collins in the Zion trade with other filler.

Untouchables to me are the young guns, Sexton, Markanaan and Kessler.

I really like Kessler. His paint defensive presence is top tier, but the other aspects of his game are lacking in the modern NBA. IMO, if the Jazz were to win the lottery and be in a position to draft Sarr, Kessler might become a backup or trade asset.
SoCalJazzFan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,026

Post#22 » by SoCalJazzFan » Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 am

WinterSoldier wrote:Even if we got two of those players I don't think we are a true contender.
Their are only a few young stars that would make us contenders.

Luka
Ant Edwards
Tatum
Ja Morant? if he gets his head straight.
SGA
Holmgren
Wemby

Unless you can get a young true #1 star option which might be impossible. Our only real option is drafting a star and using our other assets to build around them IMO.

Yep, all but one drafted by the team. OKC had Kawhi which enabled them to trade for SGA.
The Jazz, IMO, should extend Markk, do a real tank job this next season and take advantage of any opportunities as they arise after that.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#23 » by bkohler » Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:41 pm

SoCalJazzFan wrote:
WinterSoldier wrote:Even if we got two of those players I don't think we are a true contender.

Luka
Ant Edwards
Tatum
SGA
Holmgren
Wemby

Unless you can get a young true #1 star option which might be impossible. Our only real option is drafting a star and using our other assets to build around them IMO.

Yep, all but one drafted by the team. OKC had Kawhi which enabled them to trade for SGA.
The Jazz, IMO, should extend Markk, do a real tank job this next season and take advantage of any opportunities as they arise after that.

I think you mean Paul George instead of Kawhi but you make a valid point. Something of note is that SGA was considered a good young player but not on the tier of those listed above when they traded for him. I wonder what players would fit that mold right now in the league. SGA made the all-rookie second team so an apt comparison might be someone like Bilal Coulibaly, Amen Thompson, or Cason Wallace.

I wonder if you could pry one of those loose + get some picks back by moving Lauri.
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 186

Post#24 » by WinterSoldier » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:12 pm

bkohler wrote:
SoCalJazzFan wrote:

Luka
Ant Edwards
Tatum
SGA
Holmgren
Wemby

I think you mean Paul George instead of Kawhi but you make a valid point. Something of note is that SGA was considered a good young player but not on the tier of those listed above when they traded for him. I wonder what players would fit that mold right now in the league. SGA made the all-rookie second team so an apt comparison might be someone like Bilal Coulibaly, Amen Thompson, or Cason Wallace.

I wonder if you could pry one of those loose + get some picks back by moving Lauri.

Wallace, Ivey, Jabari Smith, Thompson, and Maybe Kuminga?

I agree 100% with you this is the correct path forward. Lauri has been amazing for us but he is ready to win now and we as a team are not there and won't be for a few seasons. OKC is the exact model we should follow.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#25 » by bkohler » Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:41 pm

Yeah, I didn't include Ivey, Smith, or Kuminga because they're a bit farther along contract-wise than SGA was when he got traded, but I agree that all of these targets make sense. I'd add Sengun, Mobley, and Murray to that list as well.
Gert42
Senior
And1: 213

Post#26 » by Gert42 » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:57 pm

The only problem with extending Lauri (which I agree with) and a proper tank job is I think they still end up around the 6-8, which you could get lucky, but I think playing your best players, which the Jazz clearly were not doing for 35-40% of the season will not get them to where they need to be for a full blown rebuild.

Trey Murphy is a guy I would love to see the Jazz try to get, but I'm sure he's virtually untouchable right now for New Orleans.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 756

Post#27 » by HadAnEffectHere » Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 pm

Gert42 wrote:The only problem with extending Lauri (which I agree with) and a proper tank job is I think they still end up around the 6-8, which you could get lucky, but I think playing your best players, which the Jazz clearly were not doing for 35-40% of the season will not get them to where they need to be for a full blown rebuild.

Trey Murphy is a guy I would love to see the Jazz try to get, but I'm sure he's virtually untouchable right now for New Orleans.

You have to fake an injury for Markkanen that lasts for the entire season.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#28 » by bkohler » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:06 am

Idk Lauri was available for most of the games post ASB and the Jazz still had the worst record in the league. It feels like he really needs a facilitator to maximize his talents and without Conley or Olynyk he didn’t have enough himself to lead to many wins.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#29 » by bkohler » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:07 am

Gert42 wrote:Trey Murphy is a guy I would love to see the Jazz try to get, but I'm sure he's virtually untouchable right now for New Orleans.

I’d offer a lot for Murphy. A lot.
BigJimFinn
Junior
And1: 347

Post#30 » by BigJimFinn » Sat Apr 20, 2024 8:12 am

bkohler wrote:Idk Lauri was available for most of the games post ASB and the Jazz still had the worst record in the league. It feels like he really needs a facilitator to maximize his talents and without Conley or Olynyk he didn’t have enough himself to lead to many wins.

Do you mean that he would have been available if Jazz didn't force him to sit with a fake injury?
Because he played 4 of the last 21 games. The team went 1 - 8 in the stretch before he was taken out, so you are right he wasn't able to carry them and won't be able to do it alone in the future either, but "available for most of the games post ASB" is just incorrect, he played 9 of 26 post ASB.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#31 » by bkohler » Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:01 pm

BigJimFinn wrote:
bkohler wrote:Idk Lauri was available for most of the games post ASB and the Jazz still had the worst record in the league. It feels like he really needs a facilitator to maximize his talents and without Conley or Olynyk he didn’t have enough himself to lead to many wins.

Do you mean that he would have been available if Jazz didn't force him to sit with a fake injury?
Because he played 4 of the last 21 games. The team went 1 - 8 in the stretch before he was taken out, so you are right he wasn't able to carry them and won't be able to do it alone in the future either, but "available for most of the games post ASB" is just incorrect, he played 9 of 26 post ASB.

I stand corrected, I obviously blocked most of the last few months from my memory.
dr0welf
Analyst
And1: 776

Post#32 » by dr0welf » Yesterday 12:02 am

I would go hard after Cade Cunningham on Detroit.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,466

Post#33 » by Inigo Montoya » Yesterday 2:36 pm

dr0welf wrote:I would go hard after Cade Cunningham on Detroit.

Cunningham would obviously be a nice get but I don't think he's on the market (unless I missed some news?). Aren't the Pistons building around him as their franchise player?

I think the Jazz would have to set their targets on a more attainable player, like Trae Young or Murray (if we're talking point guards) because one of them is likely to be moved.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 756

Post#34 » by HadAnEffectHere » Yesterday 3:20 pm

Neither Trae or Dejounte is likely to be moved because Atlanta is very stupid and has Ainge disease (they won't make a trade unless they absolutely must or they feel like they won the trade).

Trae's trade value is at an all-time low currently.

Return to Utah Jazz