Which star would you be trying to get for the Jazz?

Moderators: FJS, Inigo Montoya

HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer
And1: 745

Which star would you be trying to get for the Jazz? 

Post#1 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:43 pm

The Jazz really want to get a star player who isn't super old according to Zanik and Ainge... The only real options I see are

Randle
Trae
KAT
Brandon Ingram
Jarrett Allen

Are any of these players appealing for the Jazz? Do you see the Jazz getting one of these guys or any other star?
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 185

Re: Which star would you be trying to get for the Jazz? 

Post#2 » by WinterSoldier » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:31 pm

Even if we got two of those players I don't think we are a true contender.
Their are only a few young stars that would make us contenders.

Luka
Ant Edwards
Tatum
Ja Morant? if he gets his head straight.
SGA
Holmgren
Wemby

Unless you can get a young true #1 star option which might be impossible. Our only real option is drafting a star and using our other assets to build around them IMO.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#3 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:23 pm

None of those players are obtainable.
WinterSoldier
Junior
And1: 185

Post#4 » by WinterSoldier » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:19 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:None of those players are obtainable.

That was my point.
bkohler
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#5 » by bkohler » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:31 pm

I think you'll see Aimge make a swing for a play who has 'star potential' but isn't a star yet.

Someone like:
Dyson Daniels
Austin Reeves
Evan Mobley
Alperen Sengun
Trey Murphy

And then swing for a star that people assume is past their prime and attempt to get them on the cheap like:
Dame
Jimmy Butler
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:12 pm

Ainge said he wants to get players in the prime of their career, not young players or old players.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#7 » by AingesBurner » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:37 pm

Luka
Giannis
Ingram
Zion
Jaylen Brown
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#8 » by HadAnEffectHere » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:43 pm

AingesBurner wrote:Luka
Giannis
Ingram
Zion
Jaylen Brown

None of those players are available other than Ingram who won't be traded because his trade value is so bad currently.
AingesBurner
RealGM
And1: 3,738

Post#9 » by AingesBurner » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:29 am

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
AingesBurner wrote:Luka
Giannis
Ingram
Zion
Jaylen Brown

None of those players are available other than Ingram who won't be traded because his trade value is so bad currently.

Never say never!
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz
And1: 7,466

Post#10 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:17 am

The Pelicans are one game away from imploding and end up with another very disappointing season. If they lose and don't make the playoffs, I'd expect them to start making changes sooner rather than later. I think Zion is more likely to be traded than Ingram.
Draft Nate Wolters - FAILED
Keep Nate Wolters - FAILED
KqWIN wrote:Why are we talking about Middleton, Harris, and Porter?

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#11 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:44 am

Inigo Montoya wrote:The Pelicans are one game away from imploding and end up with another very disappointing season. If they lose and don't make the playoffs, I'd expect them to start making changes sooner rather than later. I think Zion is more likely to be traded than Ingram.

So like did you watch any of the Pelicans this year.

Because Zion post ASB was basically 90% as good as Giannis.

He completely dominated LeBron on both ends two days ago.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#12 » by bkohler » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:17 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:Ainge said he wants to get players in the prime of their career, not young players or old players.

He also nearly traded for Jrue Holiday (and dame) so his definition of old might be different than ours. Same with young players. I think you take a huge risk if you take what he said as 100% literal.

He also said if they can’t pull off a trade by July they’ll pivot. To me the odds were pivoting are high!
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#13 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:10 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:The Pelicans are one game away from imploding and end up with another very disappointing season. If they lose and don't make the playoffs, I'd expect them to start making changes sooner rather than later. I think Zion is more likely to be traded than Ingram.

He hasn't had a good run with the Pelicans. As an NBA star he's become almost irrelevant, and is often injured. His team under-performs considerably every season, and there has been tension between his camp and the Pelicans over the years. I happen to think he's very good, and the Pelicans are good when he plays. But it's hard to count on his health, especially if you're the Pelicans, and after last season, this season was basically Zion rehabbing\regaining some of his value, even though by raw numbers he's been declining for the third straight season.

I just think that at some point the Pelicans will cut bait as both sides need a fresh start imho.

The real decision the Jazz FO is making is between Continuity, Cap Flexibility, and Cash Considerations.
HadAnEffectHere
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by HadAnEffectHere » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:20 pm

Inigo Montoya wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

He hasn't had a good run with the Pelicans. As an NBA star he's become almost irrelevant, and is often injured. His team under-performs considerably every season, and there has been tension between his camp and the Pelicans over the years. I happen to think he's very good, and the Pelicans are good when he plays. But it's hard to count on his health, especially if you're the Pelicans, and after last season, this season was basically Zion rehabbing\regaining some of his value, even though by raw numbers he's been declining for the third straight season.

I just think that at some point the Pelicans will cut bait as both sides need a fresh start imho.

So is this a joke or do you just not follow the NBA at all.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#15 » by bkohler » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:23 pm

HadAnEffectHere wrote:
Inigo Montoya wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

I don't think we need these types of comments here. Zion played great the second half of this year but everything that Inigo said is also true. You can disagree and, by all means, offer a counterargument, but jumping to these types of insults just makes you look small.
Inigo Montoya
Forum Mod - Jazz
Forum Mod - Jazz

Post#16 » by Inigo Montoya » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:27 pm

bkohler wrote:
HadAnEffectHere wrote:

I don't think we need these types of comments here. Zion played great the second half of this year but everything that Inigo said is also true. You can disagree and, by all means, offer a counterargument, but jumping to these types of insults just makes you look small.

Pretty much this^. Be nice.

Jazz Dog
Jazz Forum GTS Commissioner
And1: 265

Post#17 » by Jazz Dog » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:23 pm

My choice was Zion as well. I think adding Zion and maybe a Trae or Murray from Atlanta is what Ainge would go after. I would use my draft capital and filler to get this done. Overcompensate with draft picks and not give up too many of our young guns (George, Henricks and maybe Sensi)
Jazz Dog
Jazz Forum GTS Commissioner
And1: 265

Post#18 » by Jazz Dog » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:24 pm

I would use Collins in the Zion trade with other filler.

Untouchables to me are the young guns, Sexton, Markanaan and Kessler.
D Rog
Junior
And1: 83

Post#19 » by D Rog » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:23 pm

I think Jazz fans should prepare for Ainge's pivot & a full blown rebuild. I don't think there is a KG / Ray Allen combo out there for Ainge.

I wanted Dejounte before he was traded from the Spurs to Atlanta. I wanted him during the last 2 trade deadlines. I would still like him, but I don't think he is a big game changer. I believe he is a solid upgrade at the PG position for the Jazz and is under contract for 4 more years at a reasonable price. It appears Atlanta may be trying to move Trae and keep Dejounte (No thanks re Trae).

I would love Mikal Bridges but he is only under contract for 2 more years. The Jazz can't spend too much on a short term rental.

Regarding Zion, I admit I haven't watched him play. I have no interest in Zion for the Jazz. He is owed from $37M - $45M for the next 4 years. If he were consistently available then maybe I wouldn't mind him so much.

2019/20 - 24 games played
2020/21 - 61 games played
2021/22 - missed the entire season
2022/23 - 29 games played
2023/24 - 70 games played

390 regular season games the Pelicans have played since drafting Zion. He has played in 184 games (47% of games). If things have turned for him and he will be available for 85% of his team's games for the next several years, then great!

Can you have a non shooting center on the floor with Zion or would you just surround him with shooters? He has shot a total of 85 3 pointers in his career thus far.
bkohler
Rookie

Post#20 » by bkohler » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:24 pm

D Rog wrote:I think Jazz fans should prepare for Ainge's pivot & a full blown rebuild. I don't think there is a KG / Ray Allen combo out there for Ainge.

I wanted Dejounte before he was traded from the Spurs to Atlanta. I wanted him during the last 2 trade deadlines. I would still like him, but I don't think he is a big game changer. I believe he is a solid upgrade at the PG position for the Jazz and is under contract for 4 more years at a reasonable price. It appears Atlanta may be trying to move Trae and keep Dejounte (No thanks re Trae).

I would love Mikal Bridges but he is only under contract for 2 more years. The Jazz can't spend too much on a short term rental.

Regarding Zion, I admit I haven't watched him play. I have no interest in Zion for the Jazz. He is owed from $37M - $45M for the next 4 years. If he were consistently available then maybe I wouldn't mind him so much.

2019/20 - 24 games played
2020/21 - 61 games played
2021/22 - missed the entire season
2022/23 - 29 games played
2023/24 - 70 games played

390 regular season games the Pelicans have played since drafting Zion. He has played in 184 games (47% of games). If things have turned for him and he will be available for 85% of his team's games for the next several years, then great!

Can you have a non shooting center on the floor with Zion or would you just surround him with shooters? He has shot a total of 85 3 pointers in his career thus far.

I think we should be ready to deal with a pivot twice: once towards a full-blown rebuild and then again towards stars when it becomes a possibility. I don't think that just because we go full rebuild, Danny will be done big game hunting. Instead, I think he'll just push the value down the road long enough for the younger players to mature into either useful players or more valuable trade pieces.

As for Zion, the flaws (mainly injury history and shooting) are readily apparent, but that's the same with every star who is going to be available. There's a reason they would be available. The options are to find a star who wants out for a nonbasketball reason, a star who wants out to jump to something more competitive (probably not us at this point), find a star who has a weakness that's large enough to have him be on the market, or find a player who isn't a star yet and gamble that their upside can hit in your system. I really feel like John Collins was the last of these: a cheap gamble on someone who had the tools to potentially be a star, but obviously, that's not working out.

Return to Utah Jazz