OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Big nick
Junior
And1: 323

Re: OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#2641 » by Big nick » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:38 am

Wat to go coach Mark and a great job by the blue. Dieng sure like he has improved my only knock on dieng I would like to see him more aggressive he has the tools.
Thabo Sefolosha
Thunder Forum The Opening Tip
And1: 6,552

Post#2642 » by Thabo Sefolosha » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:40 am

Read on Twitter
kdthunderup
Pro Prospect
And1: 535

Post#2643 » by kdthunderup » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:14 am

Big nick wrote:Wat to go coach Mark and a great job by the blue. Dieng sure like he has improved my only knock on dieng I would like to see him more aggressive he has the tools.

In the G-League, he's been more aggressive, driving into the paint and handling contact, but it hasn't yet transferred to the NBA yet. Hopefully, with another offseason to bulk up and work on his game further, he'll become a valuable asset for the team next season.
retrobro90
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 911

Post#2644 » by retrobro90 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:06 am

I dont think he looks more "aggressive" in the g league. He does get more touches and shots up but his physicality still kinda stinks. He's less likely to run into wings his size down there but he almost never finishes through contact. Settles for difficult angles. Still slow processing speed which is the biggest concern if he wants to be in our system. Happy he won FMVP but I'm less optimistic. Hope he proves me wrong.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,666

Post#2645 » by Clav » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:20 am

retrobro90 wrote:I dont think he looks more "aggressive" in the g league. He does get more touches and shots up but his physicality still kinda stinks. He's less likely to run into wings his size down there but he almost never finishes through contact. Settles for difficult angles. Still slow processing speed which is the biggest concern if he wants to be in our system. Happy he won FMVP but I'm less optimistic. Hope he proves me wrong.

I have to say that Dieng has really upped his game against this level of competition, if nothing else he's improved in confidence in his shot and has really done better with passing, and forming paint moves. I think it bodes well for him to contribute as a plus player next year. He looked a lot shakier earlier, but definitely improved. That's a great sign for his future.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,164

Post#2646 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:15 pm

retrobro90 wrote:I dont think he looks more "aggressive" in the g league. He does get more touches and shots up but his physicality still kinda stinks. He's less likely to run into wings his size down there but he almost never finishes through contact. Settles for difficult angles. Still slow processing speed which is the biggest concern if he wants to be in our system. Happy he won FMVP but I'm less optimistic. Hope he proves me wrong.

agree about everything u said but I would still keep him for next season since his trade value must be super low. He's young and talented enough to wait another season even if I don't like his chances to become a (good) NBA player. Hope his G League run can boost his confidence a bit because the lack of it is impacting his game a lot.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,964

Post#2647 » by shakes0 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:25 pm

Thabo Sefolosha wrote:Ousmane Dieng named Finals MVP with 25 PTS (9/14 FG, 5/6 3P)
Read on Twitter

I remember watching him in Summer league and first game i was like man this guy is terrible. But, then every single game he got better and better. By the end of SL he was looking fantastic, but still a bit raw.

I hope the team hangs onto him and gives him a role in the rotation next year.
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,072

Post#2648 » by slick_watts » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:23 pm

ousmane dieng shot 30% from three in the g-league this year and 30% in his nba minutes. it baffles my mind that there are thunder fans who see a bright future for this guy but would balk at them acquiring a big man like nic claxton who can't shoot either but would plug up other leaks.

this team doesn't need a big dude who can dribble but can't shoot. we have that already in josh giddey. we don't need another one. ousmane dieng has to be able to shoot threes if he's going to be useful to this team. everything else he's doing in summer league is meaningless imo.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#2649 » by shakes0 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:46 pm

slick_watts wrote:ousmane dieng shot 30% from three in the g-league this year and 30% in his nba minutes. it baffles my mind that there are thunder fans who see a bright future for this guy but would balk at them acquiring a big man like nic claxton who can't shoot either but would plug up other leaks.

this team doesn't need a big dude who can dribble but can't shoot. we have that already in josh giddey. we don't need another one. ousmane dieng has to be able to shoot threes if he's going to be useful to this team. everything else he's doing in summer league is meaningless imo.

is there really something wrong with being a little excited about a guy who's raw but has done nothing but improve since the minute he got here? Ya know, he can continue to improve and will probably get better as a shooter in the process. The kid has major upside and is improving in his first year. Didn't realize that was a problem :lol:
slick_watts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,072

Post#2650 » by slick_watts » Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:00 pm

shakes0 wrote:
slick_watts wrote:ousmane dieng shot 30% from three in the g-league this year and 30% in his nba minutes. it baffles my mind that there are thunder fans who see a bright future for this guy but would balk at them acquiring a big man like nic claxton who can't shoot either but would plug up other leaks.

is there really something wrong with being a little excited about a guy who's raw but has done nothing but improve since the minute he got here? Ya know, he can continue to improve and will probably get better as a shooter in the process. The kid has major upside and is improving in his first year. Didn't realize that was a problem :lol:

i don't think the things he has improved on are relevant for the thunder right now.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2651 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:23 pm

I don't see a bright future for Dieng but I would rather take the gamble and keep him one more season instead of trading him as a salary filler like Mann/Poku.

He will likely end up getting traded for nothing anyway but would still give him another offseason...not like we badly need a 15th roster spot.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#2652 » by shakes0 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:43 pm

Good problem to have, we're arguing about whether someone should be the 10th man on the roster next year.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,508

Post#2653 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:15 pm

shakes0 wrote:Good problem to have, we're arguing about whether someone should be the 10th man on the roster next year.

10th? The Thunder have 12 players under team control for next year. SGA, Chet, JDub, Cason, Joe, Giddey, Dort, Jaylin, Wiggins and Kenrich are your top 10. Waters and Dieng will probably be behind the player they draft with Houston's pick and at least one FA signing. Dieng will either rot on the end of the bench as a cheerleader next year or end up as worthless salary filler as part of a trade package.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2654 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:32 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
shakes0 wrote:Good problem to have, we're arguing about whether someone should be the 10th man on the roster next year.

10th? The Thunder have 12 players under team control for next year. SGA, Chet, JDub, Cason, Joe, Giddey, Dort, Jaylin, Wiggins and Kenrich are your top 10. Waters and Dieng will probably be behind the player they draft with Houston's pick and at least one FA signing. Dieng will either rot on the end of the bench as a cheerleader next year or end up as worthless salary filler as part of a trade package.

at least one FA signing with Presti? Never read so much optimism coming from you ;)
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,508

Post#2655 » by Kizz Fastfists » Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:59 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:at least one FA signing with Presti? Never read so much optimism coming from you ;)

Presti won't crush my hopes and dreams until June when he trades away the cap space for a worthless bum in a salary dump where he gets a 2nd round pick. I have 2.5 months of dreaming for a glorious off-season before Presti makes it clear to everyone that he is Presti. The hater of championships and lover of first round exits.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2656 » by Dadouv47 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:05 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Dadouv47 wrote:at least one FA signing with Presti? Never read so much optimism coming from you ;)

Presti won't crush my hopes and dreams until June when he trades away the cap space for a worthless bum in a salary dump where he gets a 2nd round pick. I have 2.5 months of dreaming for a glorious off-season before Presti makes it clear to everyone that he is Presti. The hater of championships and lover of first round exits.

I think he will add another player via FA/trade but probably not an impactful big name like we want. Well, it depends on what OKC is gonna do with Giddey.
mr570
Senior
And1: 295

Post#2657 » by mr570 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:21 am

Dadouv47 wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

I think he will add another player via FA/trade but probably not an impactful big name like we want. Well, it depends on what OKC is gonna do with Giddey.

If we ever see Giddey sitting next to Presti after practice we know there's a trade coming :o
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2658 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:14 am

Glad not playing the Lakers. We don't match really well against the Kings though and the Pels were very solid yesterday...need to see if Zion is injured or not.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#2659 » by Dadouv47 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:19 am

probably an unpopular opinion but I don't mind giving Klay Thompson a 2 years "big" contract if we can't get a better player. I like the fit even if he's declining.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#2660 » by BlazersBroncos » Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:43 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:probably an unpopular opinion but I don't mind giving Klay Thompson a 2 years "big" contract if we can't get a better player. I like the fit even if he's declining.

Klay as a bench shooter on a inflated deal would be a good move IMO. Albeit I think OKC could use a 3-level scorer off the bench (Reason I like Dalton w/ the FRP). They have quite a bit of bench shooting (Outside an elusive backup big with size that can stretch the floor).

Think Dieng and a FRP for WCJ and drafting Dalton would be a pretty ideal offseason.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder