OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Bremzi
Freshman
And1: 60

Re: OKC Thunder Trades and Transaction Thread 

Post#1541 » by Bremzi » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:03 pm

Dallas being healthy at the end of season was a part. But having a nonshooting big (Gafford + Lively) and a shooting big (Pj + Kleber) at all times 48mpg was crucial that they maintained the offense going (with a constant lob threat) and having a great defense (2 bigs that help with shotbloxking and rebounding).

And yeah that’s an accurate statement as my friends follow Dallas closely and are basically in pure consensus regarding it.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,748

Post#1542 » by Clav » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:04 pm

I do not want us to re-sign Hayward next szn.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,972

Post#1543 » by shakes0 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 pm

who else is fired up for tomorrow's mid afternoon start time? I'll head to the office in the morning for a bit and then back home to take the dogs to the park. Home with plenty of time to settle in and watch the game. Might even be able to stay awake for the whole thing!
bbms
Analyst
And1: 570

Post#1544 » by bbms » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:17 am

mr570 wrote:Well well well :)

Read on Twitter

not a fan

if presti makes a move, assuming we don't win it this post season, i hope he makes a move for someone that has championship winning experience.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,577

Post#1545 » by Devilanche » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:34 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
slick_watts wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

They added P.J. Washington at the same time. Maybe he was the difference.

seems unlikely. p.j.'s #'s in dallas have been very bad.

They ended strong because their players were healthy down the stretch and they added needed big man help. Lively missed several games during the first half. Having Luka, Kyrie and Lively healthy was significant. Then adding Gafford and Washington on top of that pushed them up the food chain in the West. I think we can agree that everyone being healthy was a help while also acknowledging that adding needed talent was a boost. Regardless of the specific cause Dallas is playing very well right now and if OKC is having issues with JV on the offensive glass Dallas has two big men better than him at it coming up next unless the Clippers do OKC a favor and knock off Dallas.

Facing Dallas next round won’t be a bad outcome.
At least Presti/we all can see how much not having another big out there impact us.
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Woerzboerg
Sophomore
And1: 77

Post#1546 » by Woerzboerg » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:51 am

shakes0 wrote:who else is fired up for tomorrow's mid afternoon start time? I'll head to the office in the morning for a bit and then back home to take the dogs to the park. Home with plenty of time to settle in and watch the game. Might even be able to stay awake for the whole thing!

For me as an european, the starting time is literally perfect. 9.30 pm MESZ, prime time.
Mr Thunder Nick
Junior
And1: 90

Post#1547 » by Mr Thunder Nick » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:22 am

Bremzi wrote:I could see OKC add Claxton. He already said he will prioritize winning in his FA decision. Now he might not get the greatest offer from OKC, but he is 25 and a very good shotblocker/finisher. He is on the thinner side, but he could be a solid rotational big to allow having 2 bigs on the floor pretty much at all times. I have no doubts that offensively Mark will make it work, just like basically any other team makes it work with a non shooting big.

Another reason for it is that I think Presti saw what kind of an improvement Gafford was for Mavs. Mavs basically have a nonshooting big at all times on the floor and are much improved post trade deadline.

Claxton is an inch taller than Gafford and has the same wingspan with similar hops. On top of that, he could be signed for free without giving up a pick (like Mavs had to for Gafford).

100% agree with you. Claxton is the best option this summer on the market. If he really wants to win, he will not be so much expensive I think.
Devilanche
Head Coach
And1: 1,577

Post#1548 » by Devilanche » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:46 am

Mr Thunder Nick wrote:
Bremzi wrote:I could see OKC add Claxton. He already said he will prioritize winning in his FA decision. Now he might not get the greatest offer from OKC, but he is 25 and a very good shotblocker/finisher. He is on the thinner side, but he could be a solid rotational big to allow having 2 bigs on the floor pretty much at all times. I have no doubts that offensively Mark will make it work, just like basically any other team makes it work with a non shooting big.

Another reason for it is that I think Presti saw what kind of an improvement Gafford was for Mavs. Mavs basically have a nonshooting big at all times on the floor and are much improved post trade deadline.

Claxton is an inch taller than Gafford and has the same wingspan with similar hops. On top of that, he could be signed for free without giving up a pick (like Mavs had to for Gafford).

100% agree with you. Claxton is the best option this summer on the market. If he really wants to win, he will not be so much expensive I think.

Claxton / Hartenstein / Goga if we are looking for strictly C
LeBron / Jalen smith / Kyle Anderson for PF
MoneyTalks41890 wrote:No I’m myopic and shortsighted and I want my pile of draft picks.
Bremzi
Freshman
And1: 60

Post#1549 » by Bremzi » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:50 pm

So, now that the Suns have 0 1st rounders from 2025-2030 and 0 2nd rounders from 2024-2030 and considering they have 205mil committed already the next two years (meaning a cca 280mil payroll at minimum including tax) - what are the odds of a Kevin Durant trade to OKC?

OKC is around 38 mil under the cap, possibly 35 if accounting for free spots. Suns clearly need to shed salary and get picks/prospects. Durant is signed for 2 more years (51mil next year), so his contract expiry matches with the moment when OKC has to extend Chet and JDub. In that sense it is perfect.

All it takes is for OKC to send/slash 15 mil + whichever combination of picks. Looking at the current roster, there are several options to go with. I’d say Lindy could be included or his option not picked up (2mil). Then there would probably have to be a combination of Giddey (8mil), Dieng (5mil), Kenrich (7mil).

Not sure what the Suns would ask in return, but setting up KD for Lindy, Dieng and Kenrich + picks is pretty crazy. Giddey could also be traded, especially if OKC would try to avoid extending him.

KD has burned OKC before and he is 35, but it would be a move to put OKC at the front of contenders for (at least) the next 2 years. KD is also Chets idol and they work well together in private. Not sure how his persona/being highest paid player would work, but it’s just a perfect basketball match. He embodies what Presti seeks basketball wise (tall, long, lanky, mobile, very good shooter, shotcreator and passer).

P.S. Suns could run it back - but they were swept round 1. They cant sign solid players because of restricted exceptions under the new CBA and nobody is going there to ring hunt considering the sweep. Moreover, their tax bill will increase yearly and who knows if they can offer anything remotely desirable to KD at 37. They need to think long and hard if it’s worth it to hold onto him and stay stuck in 2026, or try to recoup some losses and aim for a short rebuild given that Booker is signed for several years still. Furthermore, trading in the mentioned context (i.e. 51 mil outgoing and cca 15 mil incoming) could relieve the Suns about 105mil yearly on salary cap (their projected 35mil over the cap amounts to 105mil).
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,514

Post#1550 » by Kizz Fastfists » Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:12 pm

Bremzi wrote:So, now that the Suns have 0 1st rounders from 2025-2030 and 0 2nd rounders from 2024-2030 and considering they have 205mil committed already the next two years (meaning a cca 280mil payroll at minimum including tax) - what are the odds of a Kevin Durant trade to OKC?

Less than 1%. Phoenix is a win now team. They are not trading KD for a pick package. They are all-in on Beal, Booker and KD. OKC isn't giving them JDub or Chet, which the Suns would need in order to remain in their timeline. They are not going to blow it all up and trade Beal and Booker along with KD to completely rebuild without owning their own picks. They might try to move Beal, the most injury prone of the three and the lesser player for better role players to put around KD and Booker, but that is unlikely. They don't seem to care about paying tax. Phoenix will try to improve their role players and make sacrifices to deities of their choice to try to keep their trio healthy.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
bbms
Analyst
And1: 570

Post#1551 » by bbms » Wed May 1, 2024 1:33 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
Bremzi wrote:So, now that the Suns have 0 1st rounders from 2025-2030 and 0 2nd rounders from 2024-2030 and considering they have 205mil committed already the next two years (meaning a cca 280mil payroll at minimum including tax) - what are the odds of a Kevin Durant trade to OKC?

Less than 1%. Phoenix is a win now team. They are not trading KD for a pick package. They are all-in on Beal, Booker and KD.

i wonder how much a first round sweep affect that

unless they want to fool their fans, they can't win now.

they still can retool and re-balance their roster around booker.
DrModesty
Junior
And1: 488

Post#1552 » by DrModesty » Thu May 2, 2024 5:23 am

Bringing KD on to the team will stifle the development of J-Dub and Chet. Similarly to how bringing in Mitchell and Allen has stunted Garland and Mobley over in Cleveland.

The team should experience continued internal improvement next year and if we want to improve the roster we should be aiming for lower usage players that fit our specific needs and playstyle. So essentially a physical, rebounding stretch big who is better than J-Will.

These are rare and coveted. To the point where even overpays are likely to be turned down in most cases. Possibly using assets to move up for a guy like Alex Sarr in the draft is viable. Maybe paying for a guy on a questionable contract who 'sort of' fits that style would work ala John Collins.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder