OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

RingoKid
Junior
And1: 62

Re: OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#3181 » by RingoKid » Fri May 17, 2024 12:39 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
RingoKid wrote:A stabilising starting vet presence with considerable playoff experience and a defensive mindset would go a long way to leading this team to the promised land.

Presti tried that a long time ago. Another Kendrick Perkins type to try to push this team over the top is not the answer. Now if you want to name a player that is talented, healthy and has playoff experience sure. They could add a 2nd round pick, draft Bronny James and sign LeBron then sure. LeBron as the 5th starter, over Giddey, would push OKC to another level. Primarily because you are adding talent. You want to argue for Klay Thompson, sure. Again, you are adding significant talent. Kyle Lowry, maybe. Tobias Harris, maybe. Those are pretty much your options for adding a talented veteran FA that could crack the rotation.

Whats your thoughts on Marcus Smart ?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,570

Post#3182 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri May 17, 2024 12:58 am

RingoKid wrote:Whats your thoughts on Marcus Smart ?

He's a homeless man's Cason Wallace. He couldn't crack OKC's rotation with a jack hammer.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3183 » by RingoKid » Fri May 17, 2024 1:34 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
RingoKid wrote:Whats your thoughts on Marcus Smart ?

He's a homeless man's Cason Wallace. He couldn't crack OKC's rotation with a jack hammer.

Haha...I'd rate him to make a difference more than Kyle Lowry, Tobias Harris and Klay Thompson.

He'd easily take Gidday's starting spot make LuDo redundant and open up a spot for another big to play off Chet.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,357

Post#3184 » by ThunderBolt » Fri May 17, 2024 2:57 am

Watching Minnesota handle Denver at home and knowing I drove 4.5 hours to watch the thunder forget how to play basketball last night makes me a tad moody.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#3185 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri May 17, 2024 2:58 am

RingoKid wrote:He'd easily take Gidday's starting spot make LuDo redundant and open up a spot for another big to play off Chet.

You mean he'd play 75% of the defense of Dort and make 75% of the 3s Giddey would make. Do they not have the 3pt shot in New Zealand? Smart would be a cheerleader in OKC and nothing more. The cheerleaders might even outshoot him if they had a 3pt contest. Smart is 30 and has lost a step. He once was a decent role player in the right system. Smart is an example of a player that could come to OKC and be equally worthless to Hayward.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3186 » by RingoKid » Fri May 17, 2024 3:03 am

I guess you'll never be sick of being wrong until proven Kizz.

At least your consistent!
Zagor
Junior
And1: 120

Post#3187 » by Zagor » Fri May 17, 2024 11:34 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:That leaves a spot open for a big man, either a floor stretching PF that can rebound and defend

I don't see such PF that's available except Jalen Smith, and I don't know is he a difference between second round exit and conference finals.
Chet is by far best as center, so it's highly unlikely that Presti will ever try to pair him with classic big guy. It will be 5-man out always, they just to need find 6'8-6'10 forward who can shoot threes and defend.
cjmcallist
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Post#3188 » by cjmcallist » Fri May 17, 2024 12:17 pm

Series isn't over. We've played terrible and still be in almost every game. The team is missing shots but is also not executing. My wife even commented on how the movement and speed is gone. Mavs are collapsing and rotating back really well. But;
1) we're not being aggressive enough at the rim
2) we're not making the right first pass out of the collapse
3) we're hesitating on semi open shots

Those things can be corrected. Maybe having our backs against the wall will force the issue.

Either way, I'll enjoy the pressure! SGA + youngsters fighting against established stars like Luka and Kyrie is great.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,351

Post#3189 » by Dadouv47 » Fri May 17, 2024 6:30 pm

cjmcallist wrote:Series isn't over. We've played terrible and still be in almost every game. The team is missing shots but is also not executing. My wife even commented on how the movement and speed is gone. Mavs are collapsing and rotating back really well. But;
1) we're not being aggressive enough at the rim
2) we're not making the right first pass out of the collapse
3) we're hesitating on semi open shots

Those things can be corrected. Maybe having our backs against the wall will force the issue.

Either way, I'll enjoy the pressure! SGA + youngsters fighting against established stars like Luka and Kyrie is great.

I think Dallas is having an elite defense at the rim and that's partially why JDub is struggling so much.
We started game 5 with confidence and some great looks from 3 but since our shots weren't failing, our players started getting nervous and missed badly the rest of the game. I'm worried it might be the same in game 6 because our players know how important it is to hit those shots and they are missing them for 4 straight games. You are right that there are a lot of things that could be corrected though. On the other hand, being 1-3 in the last four games with the way SGA is playing is really really bad. Can only hope for Shai to sustain his play and JDub to step up.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3190 » by RingoKid » Fri May 17, 2024 9:38 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
RingoKid wrote:He'd easily take Gidday's starting spot make LuDo redundant and open up a spot for another big to play off Chet.

You mean he'd play 75% of the defense of Dort and make 75% of the 3s Giddey would make...

Ideally you'd want one player that can do 100% of what Gidday and LuDo can but id settle for a seasoned vet with proven playoff chops to do 75% of both and free up a starting spot for a big that can box out, screen hard and collect boards. It wouldn't matter if he can't shoot 3's. Unicorns are rare and fragile creatures.

Look at Minny. KAT can shoot but has suspect D. Gobert plays D but can't shoot. This 5 out thing OKC is obsessed with ain't happening.

Having your back up bigs like Muscala, Biyombo and J-will who put together into one player would be great. Having them as 3 whose liabilities exceed their strengths is a waste of time and space.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#3191 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri May 17, 2024 9:57 pm

Zagor wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:That leaves a spot open for a big man, either a floor stretching PF that can rebound and defend

I don't see such PF that's available except Jalen Smith, and I don't know is he a difference between second round exit and conference finals.
Chet is by far best as center, so it's highly unlikely that Presti will ever try to pair him with classic big guy. It will be 5-man out always, they just to need find 6'8-6'10 forward who can shoot threes and defend.

Jalen Smith is an interesting one. He's 3pt shooting took such a massive jump this year, but I'm not sure how real the improvement is. He only took 144 shots from 3 this year which isn't enough to rule out it being a fluke. There also was no rise in FT%, which typically happens if a player gets better at shooting, and his FT% actually was a career worst. He would be an interesting piece as long as they didn't over commit and were willing to glue him to the bench if it didn't work.

How do you know Chet is best at center? There has been no experimentation with him at PF with a stronger center. It can be a center that can work in a 5 man out offense. Edey might be that type of guy after seeing his combine numbers. If OKC takes a chance on Edey the worst case scenario is he ends up as just a backup center either because he and Chet don't work well together or he doesn't develop the potential that is there. In either role it gives OKC a defensive and rebounding force in the paint off the bench that they are currently lacking that has shown that he has some range on his shot.

I think Ulrich Chomche is an interesting prospect that Presti might consider buying a 2nd round pick for as a draft and stash; similar to what he did with Ibaka. He needs more experience, but has the potential to become a good running mate for Chet. Chomche showed the ability to switch onto guards in the scrimmages and while he is still raw and very much an unfinished product he also doesn't turn 19 until December. I do not believe Chomche could crack OKC's rotation next year, but in two years I could see him developing into a solid player that could crack a good NBA rotation coming off the bench as a backup big man. I am not predicting anything near all-star level, but a very good role player is possible. Yes, I know Ibaka was a 1st round pick, but he spent a season in Spain after being drafted.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#3192 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri May 17, 2024 10:02 pm

RingoKid wrote:This 5 out thing OKC is obsessed with ain't happening.

Youngest team ever to win a playoff series. They must be doing something right.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3193 » by RingoKid » Fri May 17, 2024 10:41 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:

Lucky Zion wasnt playing and winning 1 playoff series doesn't mean much.

As it stands, this young OKC squad ain't getting a sniff of a ring anytime soon and rings are all that matter.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#3194 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri May 17, 2024 11:24 pm

RingoKid wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

As it stands, this young OKC squad ain't getting a sniff of a ring anytime soon and rings are all that matter.

Zion? He's got some injury to complain about every time the playoffs roll around. He's trash player and a scared little boy. Play-in game? He's hurt and can't play because he's a worthless bum. Playoff game? He's hurt and can't play because he is a worthless bum. Zion has been over hyped, overpaid and overrated his entire NBA career. Maybe he'll manage to play in a playoff game at some point before he retires, but I wouldn't bet it.

Rings are all that matters. OKC is missing that one piece of another big that rebound, defend and shoot. I don't expect Presti to ever get that player. He could have done it last off-season. He could have done it at the deadline. My opinion on Presti not having the ability to finish off a roster is long known on this board. Presti has a few chances to get it right before this team falls apart. We'll see if he can get it right the 2nd time around. I hope he does, but I'd bet against it.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3195 » by RingoKid » Fri May 17, 2024 11:50 pm

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
RingoKid wrote:
Kizz Fastfists wrote:

Zion? He's got some injury to complain about every time the playoffs roll around. He's trash player and a scared little boy. Play-in game? He's hurt and can't play because he's a worthless bum. Playoff game? He's hurt and can't play because he is a worthless bum. Zion has been over hyped, overpaid and overrated his entire NBA career. Maybe he'll manage to play in a playoff game at some point before he retires, but I wouldn't bet it...

There's that angry kid in denial again and if i was a betting man I'd find what you're betting on and go all in on the opposite.

I think Presti will find a big that can screen, box out, pass and can quarterback a defense rather than a rookie who can rebound, shoot and defend like what you want.

I also think your kidding yourself if you dont think a healthy Zion would have made a difference to OKC winning that series.

As for your starting lineup change, you got it and it made no difference. The only way OKC can or could win this series is if Luka was truly gimpy and Kyrie didnt show up.

So what do you think Coach Dags should do in the next game ? Start Wiggins instead of Joe this time ? Maybe bring Muscala off the bench to drain 3's ? Give Hayward Giddey's minutes and Biyombo J-Wills ?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#3196 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri May 17, 2024 11:57 pm

RingoKid wrote:So what do you think Coach Dags should do in the next game?

Every time a play hesitates to take an open three hit them with a cattle prod. He would have fired it off at least 10 times last game. Every time a player runs into three defenders in the paint instead of kicking it to the open man at the 3 point line have a nun come slap their hands with a ruler. The nun would have been very busy in game 5 and they might have needed a second one after the first got tired.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3197 » by RingoKid » Sat May 18, 2024 12:35 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
RingoKid wrote:So what do you think Coach Dags should do in the next game?

Every time a play hesitates to take an open three hit them with a cattle prod. He would have fired it off at least 10 times last game. Every time a player runs into three defenders in the paint instead of kicking it to the open man at the 3 point line have a nun come slap their hands with a ruler. The nun would have been very busy in game 5 and they might have needed a second one after the first got tired.

Hmmmm...physical abuse as a motivator from a religious farming background. Mmmkay... that explains some things. All that aside...

Who you got starting and coming off the bench?

It's do or die so maybe throw a whole lotta shït at the wall and see who sticks or go with what got OKC to the 2nd round in the first place ?
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant

Post#3198 » by Kizz Fastfists » Sat May 18, 2024 12:54 am

RingoKid wrote:Who you got starting and coming off the bench?

It's do or die so maybe throw a whole lotta shït at the wall and see who sticks or go with what got OKC to the 2nd round in the first place ?

Same starting lineup as game 5. It was their best 1st quarter on the scoreboard since game 1. If they are going to refuse to catch and shoot when open and continue to drive into three players in the paint and throw up shots when they can't see the rim it doesn't matter who you start. If they play like they did in the regular season and take their open 3s and drive when the action on the perimeter opens up the lane they'll win.

The only players that should play in game 6 are SGA, Chet, JDub, Joe, Wiggins, Cason, Jaylin, Dort and Giddey.
RingoKid
Junior

Post#3199 » by RingoKid » Sat May 18, 2024 1:00 am

Kizz Fastfists wrote:
RingoKid wrote:Who you got starting and coming off the bench?

Same starting lineup as game 5. It was their best 1st quarter on the scoreboard since game 1. If they are going to refuse to catch and shoot when open and continue to drive into three players in the paint and throw up shots when they can't see the rim it doesn't matter who you start. If they play like they did in the regular season and take their open 3s and drive when the action on the perimeter opens up the lane they'll win.

The only players that should play in game 6 are SGA, Chet, JDub, Joe, Wiggins, Cason, Jaylin, Dort and Giddey.

Yep...someone needs to get hot from 3 and hope Mavs suck at their free-throws again.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,351

Post#3200 » by Dadouv47 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:14 pm

Enjoy the game guys. Hope I'm wrong but I don't like our chances. Obviously gonna be pissed but still a GREAT season if we lose tonight. If there's one offseason you gotta be active for our team, this is the one.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder