OKC Thundercats?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

JDizzel3000
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Re: OKC Thundercats? 

Post#21 » by JDizzel3000 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:46 pm

why dont they use something like the "desporados" or something in regards to the cowboy culture?
Tony Plow
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Tony Plow » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:56 pm

JDizzel3000 wrote:why dont they use something like the "desporados" or something in regards to the cowboy culture?

The LAST thing we need is more fodder for the hick redneck jokes. The name reeks.
"This is Mr. Plow... OH. You mean THAT Mr. Plow. No. I'm TONY Plow. You know, from Leave it to Beaver?" : Homer Simpson
Walt Cronkite
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 562

Post#23 » by Walt Cronkite » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:59 pm

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?
Topknot28
Sophomore

Post#24 » by Topknot28 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:51 am

Oklahoma Storm
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#25 » by Joe Jackson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:09 am

Tony Plow wrote:
JDizzel3000 wrote:why dont they use something like the "desporados" or something in regards to the cowboy culture?

The LAST thing we need is more fodder for the hick redneck jokes. The name reeks.

You seem to be pretty sensitive about redneck references, Tony.
Do you know what a redneck really is? Like where the term originated.
(hint: far from Oklahoma.)
Tony Plow
Ballboy

Post#26 » by Tony Plow » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:13 am

Joe Jackson wrote:
Tony Plow wrote:

You seem to be pretty sensitive about redneck references.

Yes. I do know what a redneck is. And I am not "sensitive" about the references. I can not stand rednecks, and it is also the fact that I am tired of people who do nothing but call Oklahomans a bunch of stupid hicks. THAT is why I do not want anything that even comes close to a redneck name.

FYI. Only my screen name is Tony.
"This is Mr. Plow... OH. You mean THAT Mr. Plow. No. I'm TONY Plow. You know, from Leave it to Beaver?" : Homer Simpson
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#27 » by Joe Jackson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:14 am

.[/quote]

You seem to be pretty sensitive about redneck references.
(hint: far from Oklahoma.)[/quote]

Yes. I do know what a redneck is. And I am not "sensitive" about the references. I can not stand rednecks, and it is also the fact that I am tired of people who do nothing but call Oklahomans a bunch of stupid hicks. THAT is why I do not want anything that even comes close to a redneck name.

FYI. Only my screen name is Tony.[/quote]

I can tell from your response that you are not the least bit sensitive about the term. You just cannot stand the type and are tired of anything that even comes close to it. Yes, I see.

I can also see from this response that you almost certainly don't know where the term "redneck" originated and are only agitated by some people of the very type you detest plagiarizing or at least borrowing and misusing the term just to antagionize you.

Also didn't mean to offend you by using your screen name. Just thought it was probably ok since you use it to identify yourself. Would you prefer something else?
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 958

Post#28 » by Devin 1L » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:25 am

Topknot28 wrote:Oklahoma Storm

There is already an Oklahoma Storm. I actually went to one of their games when Kareem was coaching them.

Joe Jackson wrote:
Tony Plow wrote:

You seem to be pretty sensitive about redneck references, Tony.

Who cares where it originated from?

Do you know how many terms have now deviated from their original meaning?
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#29 » by Joe Jackson » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:28 am

How many?
harry lockheart
Rookie

Post#30 » by harry lockheart » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:43 pm

Come on, fellas. There is no way they are going to be named Thundercats, regardless of how awesome that might be. Unfortunately, the marketing team isn't a 13 year old boy or a stoned college student.
Tony Plow
Ballboy

Post#31 » by Tony Plow » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:08 pm

harry lockheart wrote:Come on, fellas. There is no way they are going to be named Thundercats, regardless of how awesome that might be. Unfortunately, the marketing team isn't a 13 year old boy or a stoned college student.

How do you know this? There are probably only five or ten people on the face of the earth who know the team name... I doubt you are one of those, Harry Lockheart. All we have now is "I have a friend, who has a friend, who's wife knows someone, who knows sombody..."
NikeAir
Banned User

Post#32 » by NikeAir » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:54 am

m23uza1hem36 wrote:
OKCFan wrote:m23, seriously, what the hell is your problem? I shrugged it off in the other topic you took over and demanded be shut down. Are you a bitter Seattle fan in disguise?

Do you mind if I ask why you are on this Oklahoma City board anyway? Do you have any ties to Oklahoma City, do you simply want to participate in the discussion of a new NBA team? OR are you here just to criticize people for their posts and continue your power trip in hopes of someday earning a moderator position on here? It certainly seems like the third option to me.

It's not like this board is currently overloaded with hordes of topics that we have trouble sorting through, so when someone makes a new topic about the nickname of the team or their summer league action, you don't need to charge in to the topic shaking your fist and trying to control everything.

This is a board for discussion of the new Oklahoma City team. We are all really excited to have our own forum finally, and not have to share it with the Seattle people who got sick and tired of us. If someone wants to post something about the team, even if it is similar to something that someone else has said, for God's sake just let us. Don't go around trying to police everyone.

Yes, in fact I do have ties with OKC. Half of my family resides in OKC and I've done some football and basketball camps down there. Second of all, I have never been a Supersonic fan, I'm a Detroit Piston fan at heart and I always will be, I'm as happy as any of you though that OKC did get a team, and no, I'm not attempting to become a mod.

Just because this board is new and not overloaded (Like the Detroit Tiger forum I visit daily) it doesn't mean you can't take a second of your time to see if there's a thread created about your idea, honestly, there's only 10-11 topics, couldn't you have read to see if the topic is already being discussed? It's not hard, not hard at all.

And I tell you again, I haven't charged this thread nor yours, just because I state that there is already a thread created for the topic. If I was charging, you WOULD KNOW I'm charging. I'm not trying to criticize any of you, I'm not here to argue with anyone, I'm here to discuss things about the franchise that OKC has gotten. You sound like a reasonable smart guy, just don't let this, someone pointing out that there is a thread discussing something to madden you because it's going to happen every now and then on any board on this website.

we don't give a ****. Just STFU and GTFO
harry lockheart
Rookie

Post#33 » by harry lockheart » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:44 pm

Tony Plow wrote:
harry lockheart wrote:Come on, fellas. There is no way they are going to be named Thundercats, regardless of how awesome that might be. Unfortunately, the marketing team isn't a 13 year old boy or a stoned college student.

How do you know this? There are probably only five or ten people on the face of the earth who know the team name... I doubt you are one of those, Harry Lockheart. All we have now is "I have a friend, who has a friend, who's wife knows someone, who knows sombody..."

Because professional sports teams don't name themselves after fictional animals from mildly popular 80's cartoons that only live on because of faux retro, Hot Topic t-shirts. Especially in Oklahoma. Maybe you haven't been paying attention.

The obvious rebuttal would be the Mighty Ducks. The difference would be that Ducks actually exist. Also, the only reason they were named that was because Disney owned them. And obviously there was the hockey/ducks link, which would be nonexistent for the Thundercats in an oil/cowboy/weather town like OKC.

I'm not acting like I have inside information. More like I have common sense.
Tony Plow
Ballboy

Post#34 » by Tony Plow » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:30 pm

harry lockheart wrote:
Tony Plow wrote:

Because professional sports teams don't name themselves after fictional animals from mildly popular 80's cartoons that only live on because of faux retro, Hot Topic t-shirts. Especially in Oklahoma. Maybe you haven't been paying attention.

The obvious rebuttal would be the Mighty Ducks. The difference would be that Ducks actually exist. Also, the only reason they were named that was because Disney owned them. And obviously there was the hockey/ducks link, which would be nonexistent for the Thundercats in an oil/cowboy/weather town like OKC.

No. The rebuttal is there is always a first time.
oksportsguy
Ballboy

Post#35 » by oksportsguy » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:15 pm

harry lockheart wrote:
Tony Plow wrote:

The Duck came about because Disney was either coming out with a movie, or just did, I can't remember which.

But I think we can close this thread, it's going no where.
Tony Plow
Ballboy

Post#36 » by Tony Plow » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:55 pm

"The Duck came about because Disney was either coming out with a movie, or just did, I can't remember which.

But I think we can close this thread, it's going no where."

"The Mighty Ducks" had already been released. The team was named after the movie, which by the way, was full of fictonal characters.

About closing this thread? The same could be said about ALL name the team threads. Truth is, no one on this or any other board knows the name. And won't until it's announced. (if they do, and are with a company doing business with Bennett, that person has a confidentiality clause in their contract. They could be fired for releasing the information. The name is considered a "trade secret" at this time.)
YiYaoYue
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#37 » by YiYaoYue » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:14 pm

How did this go 3 pages without this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qd_IsxgAf8

THUNDER THUNDER THUNDER THUNDERCATS HOOOOWWWWLLLLL
bobcatsinfour
Junior
And1: 8

Post#38 » by bobcatsinfour » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:37 pm

Any name other than Thundercats and you might as well return the team to Seattle
Bomb_First wrote:Give Hickson the max

Can the Cavs sneak into the playoffs?

cochiseuofm wrote:Probably, but they'd be better off just buying tickets and not risk getting caught by security.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#39 » by Neon1 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:29 pm

You guys need to start a petition. Maybe theres still hope they can dub the Dance Team "Thundercats"...

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder