Oklahoma City Thunder

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

cdash
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: Oklahoma City Thunder 

Post#41 » by cdash » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:13 am

ljp24 wrote:even if they call them the thunder, i'm callin them the thundercats? agreed

Thundercats isnt any better.
Joe Jackson
Analyst

Post#42 » by Joe Jackson » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:46 am

That logo sample is pathetic. Its not even really usable for anything.
lou4gehrig
Banned User

Post#43 » by lou4gehrig » Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:40 am

I vote for the OKC Highrollers. Why? Because everybody in Oklahoma drives a caddy or a Benz.... so I've heard.
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,277

Post#44 » by pr0wler » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:15 pm

That's a cool colour scheme if they could work it in correctly. However, I agree that logo looks like something a high school team would wear.
McG
Sophomore

Post#45 » by McG » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:43 pm

What a dumb name. How is it that even NBDL teams are more creative than this? OKC Thunder!? First of all, what in the F does this even have to do with Oklahoma? And secondly, how do they think they're going to incorporate a sound into uniform design? The most obvious choice would be lightning but the Warriors already have that covered. I'm guessing this is either a premature report or a horrendous blunder by ownership.
* Educating the underprivileged. *
Tony Plow
Ballboy

Post#46 » by Tony Plow » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:27 pm

McG wrote:What a dumb name. How is it that even NBDL teams are more creative than this? OKC Thunder!? First of all, what in the F does this even have to do with Oklahoma? And secondly, how do they think they're going to incorporate a sound into uniform design? The most obvious choice would be lightning but the Warriors already have that covered. I'm guessing this is either a premature report or a horrendous blunder by ownership.

What you are overlooking is that by naming the team the Thunder, Oklahoma City has a fabulous opportunity to be a first class team by showmanship.

Here's how.

The fans are seated. Suddenly, the arena goes dark. Without warning, a lighting illusion makes the sky open. You see dark clouds as the lights suddenly flicker on and off rapidly... That is lightning. You see a lot of fog and hear claps of thunder as the announcer goes through a simulated weather storm and announces the team.

No team I am aware of has this kind of showmanship. The only way we can do this would be with the name Oklahoma City Thunder.

And I have only touched the surface.
McG
Sophomore

Post#47 » by McG » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:21 pm

Tony Plow wrote:The fans are seated. Suddenly, the arena goes dark. Without warning, a lighting illusion makes the sky open. You see dark clouds as the lights suddenly flicker on and off rapidly... That is lightning. You see a lot of fog and hear claps of thunder as the announcer goes through a simulated weather storm and announces the team.

No team I am aware of has this kind of showmanship. The only way we can do this would be with the name Oklahoma City Thunder.

Have you ever been to an NBA game Tony? Every team in the league has intro's pretty similar to everything you just mentioned. Heck, even the Supersonics of old had basically the EXACT same intro you're currently salivating over...

Look familiar????

Tony Plow wrote:And I have only touched the surface.

I certainly hope so.
Knicksfan20
RealGM
And1: 5,759

Post#48 » by Knicksfan20 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:05 am

That is the worst name they could of picked...

Oklahoma City Thunder sounds like a WNBA teams name...Seriously...the Thunder???
bobcatsinfour
Junior
And1: 8

Post#49 » by bobcatsinfour » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:22 am

Tony Plow wrote:
McG wrote:What a dumb name. How is it that even NBDL teams are more creative than this? OKC Thunder!? First of all, what in the F does this even have to do with Oklahoma? And secondly, how do they think they're going to incorporate a sound into uniform design? The most obvious choice would be lightning but the Warriors already have that covered. I'm guessing this is either a premature report or a horrendous blunder by ownership.

What you are overlooking is that by naming the team the Thunder, Oklahoma City has a fabulous opportunity to be a first class team by showmanship.

Here's how.

The fans are seated. Suddenly, the arena goes dark. Without warning, a lighting illusion makes the sky open. You see dark clouds as the lights suddenly flicker on and off rapidly... That is lightning. You see a lot of fog and hear claps of thunder as the announcer goes through a simulated weather storm and announces the team.

And I have only touched the surface.

If showmanship was the most important factor to you, you would dig the name Thundercats. I'll say what I did in another forum.

Imagine this: The PA announcer riles up the rowdy crowd and says "OKLAHOMA CITY, ARE YOU READY FOR YOUR THUNDERCATS?" To which the crowd would scream: "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

THAT would be a crazy scene.
Bomb_First wrote:Give Hickson the max

Can the Cavs sneak into the playoffs?

cochiseuofm wrote:Probably, but they'd be better off just buying tickets and not risk getting caught by security.
Tony Plow
Ballboy

Post#50 » by Tony Plow » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:28 am

Showmanship sells seats. Although I like "Thundercats" (The name, not the cartoon), I would rather have the "Thunder." More potential to impress the country.
"This is Mr. Plow... OH. You mean THAT Mr. Plow. No. I'm TONY Plow. You know, from Leave it to Beaver?" : Homer Simpson
Hoops23
General Manager
And1: 1,285

Post#51 » by Hoops23 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:42 am

Thunder!

Is the owner a fan of "Thunder Dan" Majerly? :lol:
Bulls423
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Post#52 » by Bulls423 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:06 am

atleast I'll be hearing AC/DC when we play in OKC next year
mutumba
Sophomore

Post#53 » by mutumba » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:59 pm

What on Earth is a Thundercat?
bobcatsinfour
Junior
And1: 8

Post#54 » by bobcatsinfour » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:39 pm

Only one of most popular TV shows of all time.

In reference to my post, the show would open like this: "Thundercats, Thundercats, Thundercats, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Bomb_First wrote:Give Hickson the max

Can the Cavs sneak into the playoffs?

cochiseuofm wrote:Probably, but they'd be better off just buying tickets and not risk getting caught by security.
cdash
Analyst

Post#55 » by cdash » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:25 am

I'm glad someone mentioned this Warriors thing here. If there has ever been a team more in need of a logo/uniform change, its Golden State. That blue superhero looking thing is ridiculous. Seriously, lots of options are available for a nickname like the Warriors, get some R&D on this Golden State.

What do you guys think the colour scheme for the Thunder will be?
legendarywalton
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by legendarywalton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:18 pm

You guys should check out Chris Creamer's Sports Logo Forum (you may need to sign up to view the forums) to see some talented graphic designer's mock up of an OKC Thunder logo. This will be 100x better than anything that the team actually goes with: LINK
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#57 » by DelaneyRudd » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:48 pm

Never a good sign that the most defining aspect of a city is it's ****ty weather.
ponder719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#58 » by ponder719 » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:16 am

It appears Thunder isn't a lock. The OKC group has applied for six trademarks: Barons, Bison, Thunder, Energy, Marshalls, and Wind. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3505617
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand Daryl Morey: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

The Sixers: All of Life's Problems
DelaneyRudd
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 9,340

Post#59 » by DelaneyRudd » Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:00 am

Marshalls is a good one as long as "City" is dropped. a nice Wild West motif without any red neck connotations.

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder