JR Smith?

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

bmw42690
Sophomore
And1: 0

JR Smith? 

Post#1 » by bmw42690 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:16 pm

There was an article in The Daily Oklahoman today about JR Smith. It talked about him being another young guy with lots of potential that would fit what Presti is looking for. However, it also said that Denver would probably match any offer given to him. Here is the link http://newsok.com/nba-presti-still-has-options/article/3275446/?tm=1217124852. It also talks about some other possibilities. It's an interesting read.

JR can definitely play and is a gifted offensive player. When he catches fire he is a very dangerous player. What do you guys think of him?
Radiohead311
Senior

Re: JR Smith? 

Post#2 » by Radiohead311 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:55 am

NO THANKS!!!

JR could be one of the best players in the league if he could get his head right but I honestly don't believe he ever will. He was born a talented ball player and he takes it for granted, he has a low IQ, he's a bit lazy, he doesn't even try to play defense, he doesn't seem to have a passion for this game. He makes piss poor decisions on and off the floor. If he hasn't gotten his act together in 4 years he never will. He doesn't know what he has and it looks like he's going to waste it. Despite all of his flaws he's so talented that he will have a solid career but he'll never reach his potential. I'd rather see him waste his talent on a team that I don't watch very often.

There will better options for the Thundercats future SG, CJ Miles would have been a nice pickup but Presti has the assets to do better than JR Smith. We just have to be patient and see what the ping pong balls and cap space bring. JR Smith is not the answer.

I'd rather they give Quinton Ross a chance.
oksportsguy
Ballboy

Post#3 » by oksportsguy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:52 am

Radiohead311 wrote:NO THANKS!!!

JR could be one of the best players in the league if he could get his head right but I honestly don't believe he ever will. He was born a talented ball player and he takes it for granted, he has a low IQ, he's a bit lazy, he doesn't even try to play defense, he doesn't seem to have a passion for this game. He makes piss poor decisions on and off the floor. If he hasn't gotten his act together in 4 years he never will. He doesn't know what he has and it looks like he's going to waste it. Despite all of his flaws he's so talented that he will have a solid career but he'll never reach his potential. I'd rather see him waste his talent on a team that I don't watch very often.

There will better options for the Thundercats future SG, CJ Miles would have been a nice pickup but Presti has the assets to do better than JR Smith. We just have to be patient and see what the ping pong balls and cap space bring. JR Smith is not the answer.

I'd rather they give Quinton Ross a chance.

I'm going to have to agree, unless he has changed. When he played for the Hornets in OKC, the coach had to bench him because he wouldn't come to practice on time, didn't work on problems he was having with his game. Basically, just a bad attitude.
JO_CB_FTW
Junior

Post#4 » by JO_CB_FTW » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:01 am

He is very talented but lazy. He doesn't play 100% every game.
joeshmoe
Sophomore

Post#5 » by joeshmoe » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:56 pm

If we could get him, he would be an absolute stud for us. Exactly what we need. A guy that can spread the floor and create his own shot. He is young and could grow with the team. And, he has all the tools to be a great defender. It is hard to single him out for not playing defense, when he played for a team that played very little defense. I don't know any of the details about his attitude. But I did watch him play a lot last year, and did not see any glaring problems on the court.

But Denver would most likely match the MLE, which is all we could offer. It might be worth it to offer him a five year contract starting at the MLE, maybe you get lucky, and Denver is so desperate to cut salaries they don't match.

Personally, I think Presti sat on the fence too long this off season. Now, all that are realistically available are scraps. The scrap I think we should add is Kareem Rush--we desperately need a shooter.
oksportsguy
Ballboy

Post#6 » by oksportsguy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Agreed, they may have waited a little to long, but I think Presti is looking for players that fit with the kind of team they want to assemble. Young, team players that will fit their style, no glaring standouts with a love of the game, and not themselves.

Although JR has not really shown himself to be a team player, he is young enough to turn that around if he sold on the program. He has shown that he can be dangerous on offense, a little work on defense and he could be formidable out front.
bmw42690
Sophomore

Post#7 » by bmw42690 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm not saying that it wasnt partly his fault, but Denver gave up like the 2nd most points in the league last year(i think 106 per game to be exact) so i think its kind of hard to judge where he is at defensively. He definitely has the tools to get better.
Fizer
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#8 » by Fizer » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:20 pm

Ehhhh......his defense is pretty horrific, and he is far and away from having a good head on his shoulders. But he certainly has the talent to go off and score 30 points on any time, and his 3 point shot has been getting better throughout the years. So I'm really mixed, and honestly I believe he would be a better signing than CJ Miles would have been.
Radiohead311
Senior

Post#9 » by Radiohead311 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:27 pm

Kareem Rush? Talk about another guy with a bad attitude who only plays for himself. Who's next? JR Rider?

This team is not desperate for a SG. Doing nothing is better than picking up JR Smith or Kareem Rush. I'd rather Damien Wilkins gets the minutes to showcase him for a trade in February.
McG
Sophomore

Post#10 » by McG » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:39 pm

I guarantee you that this is just some misinformed sportswriter's fantasy. Presti won't sign him.

End of story.
* Educating the underprivileged. *
bmw42690
Sophomore

Post#11 » by bmw42690 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:00 pm

Radiohead311 wrote:Who's next? JR Rider?

:rofl2:
sonic-ben
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by sonic-ben » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:58 pm

bmw42690 wrote:There was an article in The Daily Oklahoman today about JR Smith. It talked about him being another young guy with lots of potential that would fit what Presti is looking for. However, it also said that Denver would probably match any offer given to him. Here is the link http://newsok.com/nba-presti-still-has-options/article/3275446/?tm=1217124852. It also talks about some other possibilities. It's an interesting read.

JR can definitely play and is a gifted offensive player. When he catches fire he is a very dangerous player. What do you guys think of him?

is the Sonics goal to add uncharacteristic player to improve the win total that ruins the chances of improving the talent pool... or be patient & add talent...
Go cougs
bmw42690
Sophomore

Post#13 » by bmw42690 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:27 am

Even if they added Smith I dont think that he would change the win total enough that it would knock them out of the top 5 in the draft.
mnkinga23
Sophomore

Post#14 » by mnkinga23 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:50 am

I think that the writer was just throwing names out there of people that the team could sign, but I really think that nobody is going to be signed from this free agent crop. A trade is much more likely to happen

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder