OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: retrobro90, Dadouv47

Old Man Game
Head Coach
And1: 4,297

Re: OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#2361 » by Old Man Game » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:42 am

Well we went a few solid weeks without an objectively awful loss. Giddey has to go. I hate to reduce it like that but dude had two points on 20% shooting. Lu was arguably even worse 1/6 from three. Give me one more competent offensive player please.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,896

Post#2362 » by Clav » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:54 am

Giddey with the triple double.

2 pts, 2 rebs, 2 assists

:lol: aye yai yai...
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#2363 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Mar 1, 2024 8:51 am

Trust in Presti. This team is great. There was no reason to add talent in the off-season via trade or FA and there was definitely no reason to add at the deadline.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#2364 » by Old Man Game » Fri Mar 1, 2024 12:56 pm

If Coach Dags doesn't have a quick hook for giddey, our playoff run will be a short one. It's just too easy to scheme against him. Anything more than say 15 minutes a game in the playoffs and we are going to be seriously boned.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,366

Post#2365 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:07 pm

Old Man Game wrote:If Coach Dags doesn't have a quick hook for giddey, our playoff run will be a short one. It's just too easy to scheme against him. Anything more than say 15 minutes a game in the playoffs and we are going to be seriously boned.

There isn't any logical reason to keep Giddey in his current role other than the organization trying to save face. Had he not been the first real piece of the rebuild and picked late first round, I can't imagine him still being in the starting lineup.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#2366 » by Old Man Game » Fri Mar 1, 2024 1:37 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:If Coach Dags doesn't have a quick hook for giddey, our playoff run will be a short one. It's just too easy to scheme against him. Anything more than say 15 minutes a game in the playoffs and we are going to be seriously boned.

There isn't any logical reason to keep Giddey in his current role other than the organization trying to save face. Had he not been the first real piece of the rebuild and picked late first round, I can't imagine him still being in the starting lineup.

I don't think he's the sort of dude who would do this, but I seriously wish that Shai would just go to presti and say

'hey man. If you want any chance of signing me after this current deal, you need to make sure giddy is not a starter anymore. If not, traded altogether.'

I think he's the only guy in the organization that has the pull that he could actually force presti to do that.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,984

Post#2367 » by shakes0 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:05 pm

Old Man Game wrote:Well we went a few solid weeks without an objectively awful loss. Giddey has to go. I hate to reduce it like that but dude had two points on 20% shooting. Lu was arguably even worse 1/6 from three. Give me one more competent offensive player please.

brings me back to what I suggested yesterday afternoon. Replace Giddey and Dort with Joe and Hayward. Or if you don't want to lose Dort's point of attack defense than just do the Joe/Giddey swap.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#2368 » by shakes0 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:06 pm

Old Man Game wrote:I don't think he's the sort of dude who would do this, but I seriously wish that Shai would just go to presti and say

'hey man. If you want any chance of signing me after this current deal, you need to make sure giddy is not a starter anymore. If not, traded altogether.'

I think he's the only guy in the organization that has the pull that he could actually force presti to do that.

He's Canadian, no way he does that. They're not built like that up there.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2369 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:33 pm

Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:

I don't think he's the sort of dude who would do this, but I seriously wish that Shai would just go to presti and say

Part of me wants him to do something like that but the other part of me loves Shai because I don't think he's that type of person. The good news is Giddey's minutes show it's obvious they know he's a problem. I'd just rather not wait until we are blatantly exposed and trailing 2-1 in the playoffs to experiment with something different.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2370 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:34 pm

One overlooked storyline is that this year Kenrich has not been the same player that we all know and love.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2371 » by ThunderBolt » Fri Mar 1, 2024 2:36 pm

Xatticus wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:Extremely confident SGA should be a bigger name. Some of the moves he's had tonight look like prime Kobe.

The NBA and media are so much different than NFL. NFL has no problem marketing small markets and their stars. Whereas yesterday ESPN wants to talk about Chris Paul’s return to the warriors like they’re getting back an MVP candidate.

It's just different. The NBA made a decision to heavily market its stars a long time ago. There are so many downsides to this and the problem has snowballed into something grotesque. I generally detest the NBA, but I love basketball, so I still follow it. I might give up on it entirely at some point though.

I feel the same way. Sports doesn't give back as much as I put in to following it.
ThorThunder
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#2372 » by ThorThunder » Fri Mar 1, 2024 3:22 pm

I've been following the Thunder since the KD era. Unfortunately, I follow them from afar because I'm from Portugal, Europe. The truth is that the American media simply ignores small market teams
Sports shows talk about the same teams al the time.. the LA teams, the Warriors, New York, and Boston. For a small market team to be mentioned, they have to be champions, and even then they are rarely talked about, as in the case of Denver. It's sad, but it's the reality.
other day on YouTube, I saw Jalen Brunson on the Tonight Show being treated like a superstar (just because he plays in New York). Players like Shai, who are 100 times better than him, have never been on the Tonight Show.
sry my English...
Patches Perry
RealGM
And1: 16,063

Post#2373 » by Patches Perry » Fri Mar 1, 2024 4:52 pm

Glad we're all on the same page with Giddey. Him being guarded by lumbering centers is bad and the fact he can't take advantage just exacerbates our rebounding problem. If we're going to have a guy who can't shoot on the court, might as well get some muscle and rebounding out there.

Hayward has been awful, but I'll give him a couple more weeks to figure it out.
shakes0
Assistant Coach

Post#2374 » by shakes0 » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:36 pm

what was up with JDub drawing the Wemby assignment for most of the game? What's the reasoning for that?
Woerzboerg
Sophomore
And1: 79

Post#2375 » by Woerzboerg » Fri Mar 1, 2024 5:49 pm

Muscala back in OKC.

Read on Twitter
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#2376 » by Old Man Game » Fri Mar 1, 2024 6:20 pm

Mike is not the player archetype I was looking for. But I enjoyed him while he was here. And I'm happy to see him return, on balance.
Old Man Game
Head Coach

Post#2377 » by Old Man Game » Fri Mar 1, 2024 6:22 pm

ThunderBolt wrote:
Old Man Game wrote:
ThunderBolt wrote:There isn't any logical reason to keep Giddey in his current role other than the organization trying to save face. Had he not been the first real piece of the rebuild and picked late first round, I can't imagine him still being in the starting lineup.

Part of me wants him to do something like that but the other part of me loves Shai because I don't think he's that type of person. The good news is Giddey's minutes show it's obvious they know he's a problem. I'd just rather not wait until we are blatantly exposed and trailing 2-1 in the playoffs to experiment with something different.

I wouldn't want him doing it all the time. I don't want him becoming LeBron where he's just constantly tinkering with the roster and screwing over the organization he plays for. But when something becomes this obvious, I would be strongly in favor of him throwing his weight around.
Big nick
Senior
And1: 358

Post#2378 » by Big nick » Fri Mar 1, 2024 7:42 pm

Woerzboerg wrote:Muscala back in OKC.

Read on Twitter

I am glad Mike is back solid player has size can shoot. I was telling my wife I thought he might be coming back. Wonder if kizz will be happy probably not lol.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,896

Post#2379 » by Clav » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:32 pm

I guess this is the playoff loadout for us.

On court thoughts.... I'm not thrilled about Muscala, honestly. What, 5 minutes a random RS night, or break glass in case of emergency in the playoffs ?

Off court thoughts... I guess he's a solid veteran and is liked by the community and team, that counts for something.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,580

Post#2380 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri Mar 1, 2024 10:41 pm

Muscala somewhat fits what OKC needed. A big, 6'10, that can shoot the ball well and space the floor. The problem is he is a terrible rebounder for his size. I'm not going to say there was something better that Presti could have gotten, but this isn't anything more than and addition for the end of the bench. If he sees 12 minutes a night OKC is in serious trouble. He's not worthless, but he isn't an upgrade to anyone Miami already has in their rotation.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder