OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion

Moderators: Dadouv47, retrobro90

Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder
And1: 6,351

Re: OKC Thunder 2023-24 Regular Season Discussion 

Post#3161 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:15 am

felt like Dallas was willing to give us more 3's yesterday since we struggle so much from deep anyway
Zagor
Junior
And1: 120

Post#3162 » by Zagor » Thu May 16, 2024 8:06 am

Rebounding is secondary issue, main issue is shooting. Unfortunately, we don't have any experienced shooter on roster.
And you can argue that Joe is the only quality shooter, others are just players who sometimes have good shooting games.

I would say this series eased our salary cap situation, because both Joe and Wiggins doesn't deserve bigger contracts.

In the summer, Presti needs to address questions of starting PF, back-up center( bigger and better rebounder than Jaylin) and one experienced shooter.
He has assets to get it done.
Bremzi
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#3163 » by Bremzi » Thu May 16, 2024 8:15 am

I feel like OKC needs another quality shot-creator and an airborne defensive big.

Noone is generating quality looks in iso, even SGA only manages to get a stepback most of the time. Nearly everyone are somewhat scared to shoot a 3 and there is no consistent offense in the paint.

On the other side Dallas has four airborne guys that are dunking above everyone, sometimes even over Chet, and Doncic can throw it to the top of the table and they go get it and slam it in (DJJ, PJ, Lively, Gafford). Their shot selection is just so much better and they have solid blocking size on the court at all times, whereas OKC doesnt.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3164 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:40 am

Zagor wrote:Rebounding is secondary issue, main issue is shooting. Unfortunately, we don't have any experienced shooter on roster.
And you can argue that Joe is the only quality shooter, others are just players who sometimes have good shooting games.

I would say this series eased our salary cap situation, because both Joe and Wiggins doesn't deserve bigger contracts.

In the summer, Presti needs to address questions of starting PF, back-up center( bigger and better rebounder than Jaylin) and one experienced shooter.
He has assets to get it done.

pretty much this but I doubt Presti will do all this in one summer. Most important is to find a good starting replacement for Giddey and that's the most difficult thing to do and most expensive. Adding a better back up big and another scorer are important too but much easier to do.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3165 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 16, 2024 9:52 am

Read on Twitter
/photo/1

Need the Cavs to fail and fail again so we can have a shot at Mobley...a man can dream :(
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3166 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:28 am

Any reason to keep Kenrich next season?

No clue if he barely played because of his recent injury or if that's just it for him in OKC. He probably isn't worth a late FRP anymore but he could still have some playing time somewhere else if he isn't a long term plan anymore.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3167 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:37 am

positive notes from those POs before I lose my mind in game 6:
- Shai is the real deal. He's playing at a MVP level (wish he was more selfish at times)
- Chet's defense is already impressive in the POs despite his offensive struggles.
- OKC overall defense is really good and I don't think the lack of size is such a big concern while some thought it could be in the POs
Zagor
Junior
And1: 120

Post#3168 » by Zagor » Thu May 16, 2024 11:45 am

Bremzi wrote:I feel like OKC needs another quality shot-creator and an airborne defensive big.

Noone is generating quality looks in iso, even SGA only manages to get a stepback most of the time. Nearly everyone are somewhat scared to shoot a 3 and there is no consistent offense in the paint.

On the other side Dallas has four airborne guys that are dunking above everyone, sometimes even over Chet, and Doncic can throw it to the top of the table and they go get it and slam it in (DJJ, PJ, Lively, Gafford). Their shot selection is just so much better and they have solid blocking size on the court at all times, whereas OKC doesnt.

Yeap, one interesting thing is fact that they have better spacing and more paint points with non-shooting centers like Gafford and Lively.
I think reason for that is our defensive scheme, we are constantly doubling Luka and Kyrie, but because they are great in manipulating our( or any) defense, they succeed in passing to open man.

On other side, Mavs defense do not double our players, and beside Shai, nobody can create anything. That's main difference, Luka and Kyrie didn't play well this series but they are still able to lure our defense.
JDub and Giddey didn't respond well when they have to create.

Also, kudos to Mavs defense.
shakes0
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,984

Post#3169 » by shakes0 » Thu May 16, 2024 1:27 pm

Bremzi wrote:I feel like OKC needs another quality shot-creator and an airborne defensive big.

yep, JDub and Chet have completely wilted under the pressure and added physicality of the playoffs. No surprise, this is what I warned the board about before the playoffs started when I said the playoffs are a different animal and I would call this a successful playoff if they just got out of the first round. You gotta take your lumps in the playoffs before you have success. OKC is taking lots of lumps this series.

And yea, even SGA has looked significantly worse in the playoffs. Neither him or JDub can get to the rim anymore. SGA settling for tough contested fade aways, most of which are coming up short.

Another big issue is the others. Usually the others struggle on the road but play better at home in playoffs. But, last night the other were pure garbage. i was excited to see Joe in the starting lineup only to see him respond with a terrible 2/9 line, most of those wide open uncontested shots. Meahwhile, every night a different plug for the Mavs steps up and turns into Steph Curry. Doesn't help that our star players are settling for dishing it to our wide open plugs way too often. Need our stars to force the issue a bit more and try and take over games.

Mavs are clearly the better team, you can tell just by watching how many more easy looks and layups they get every game.

But this will be a great learning experience for the team and the front office. Team now knows the level of intensity and toughness they need to bring in the playoffs. Front office now knows the holes in the roster.
ThunderBolt
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,357

Post#3170 » by ThunderBolt » Thu May 16, 2024 6:00 pm

I get tired of feeling like I’m a year or so away from giving up in presti to do what needs to be done.
bisme37 wrote:If there were magnets in basketballs so strong they changed the path of the ball as it flew through the air, wouldn't the ball then stick magnetically to the rim when it got there?
Big nick
Senior
And1: 355

Post#3171 » by Big nick » Thu May 16, 2024 8:13 pm

So what would we look like if we draft a big and trade for donovan Mitchell? I never have thought of dm as a winner but his scoring punch late in the 4th would be unreal.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,568

Post#3172 » by Kizz Fastfists » Thu May 16, 2024 8:26 pm

Big nick wrote:So what would we look like if we draft a big and trade for donovan Mitchell? I never have thought of dm as a winner but his scoring punch late in the 4th would be unreal.

Even if Mitchell won't extend in Cleveland he's not coming to OKC. You'd be buying a rental and Presti isn't going to pay Cleveland's asking price for a one year player. As far as adding a big it really depends on the type of big. If they add a traditional center, i.e. Clingan, then they look more like Dallas in terms of play style. If they add a big like Edey it would depend on if his 3pt shooting from the combine translates into the NBA and if it does they look similar to now only bigger, longer and more like Dallas on defense while keeping a very similar offensive flow. Imagine having two mazing shot blockers on the floor together and how that would effect Luka and Kyrie driving. If they were to trade for someone like Wendall Carter Jr it gives them more size/rebounding without changing much else.

They need to get bigger more than they need another scorer. Chet and JDub will continue to improve. Joe and Wiggins are solid and will get better. Their primary need a legitimate big man that can play next to Chet. JDub as the PF is not going to work for a championship team. Three spots in the starting lineup are locked in. SGA, JDub and Chet. In theory, Dort is locked in as well unless his 3pt shooting regresses next season. That leaves a spot open for a big man, either a floor stretching PF that can rebound and defend or a center that can do the same. Edey is the play OKC needs. If he flops then so be it, but if he reaches his potential as a defensive beast in the paint as well as a solid 3pt shooter then you have the most unique twin tower team ever that has a massive advantage on everyone else. If Edey flops and is out of the league after his rookie contract you have so many more assets to find that missing piece with. They also have the cap space this off-season to add a player that helps with their issues without being forced into an all or nothing situation.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw
Big nick
Senior

Post#3173 » by Big nick » Thu May 16, 2024 8:53 pm

You know is was all out on edey but I think the combine has changed my outlook. He would be the perfect counter for vw.
mr570
Senior
And1: 304

Post#3174 » by mr570 » Thu May 16, 2024 8:53 pm

Dadouv47 wrote:
Read on Twitter
/photo/1

Need the Cavs to fail and fail again so we can have a shot at Mobley...a man can dream :(

Mobley would solve so many issues for OKC. He would FLOURISH offensively here too. No doubt in my mind.
Big nick
Senior

Post#3175 » by Big nick » Thu May 16, 2024 10:00 pm

Yes I would thrilled with mobley.
Dadouv47
Forum Mod - Thunder
Forum Mod - Thunder

Post#3176 » by Dadouv47 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:40 pm

If I had to guess I would say that we are going to add 2 established players and a rookie.

We will keep SGA, JDub, Chet, Cason, Dort, Jwill, Wiggins, Joe, Dieng and Kenrich. That's 10 players so we could afford adding a couple more but don't think Presti wants to make too many changes.
mr570
Senior
And1: 304

Post#3177 » by mr570 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:52 pm

I don't think it's out of line to say that running it back would feel so bad. I just can't shake that the team has some issues that are a little bit philosophy and a little bit personnel.
RunOKC
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,481

Post#3178 » by RunOKC » Thu May 16, 2024 11:24 pm

Adding some players to address deficiencies will help, but at the same time this roster is good enough to beat Dallas as is

We missed what, 15-20 wide open 3's last night? We've held them to 95, 101, 96, and 104. That's good enough to where if we shot even league average on open 3's we'd be 3-2 at least. I really think this is still doable with the way we're defending.. just need the offense to be more decisive and shake the nerves. Our players have responded all year to adversity so hopefully they can do it once more.

I need Chet, and especially Jalen to be ready to fire up open 3's before the defense recovers. Enough putting the ball on the floor and making unnecessary/useless passes. If you make a shot fake and the defender is flying right by like they have been all series they need to have the mindset of getting an in rhythm shot off one dribble. Hit a few of those and Dallas starts playing it differently and those scramble drills will be more effective.
RingoKid
Junior
And1: 62

Post#3179 » by RingoKid » Thu May 16, 2024 11:49 pm

A stabilising starting vet presence with considerable playoff experience and a defensive mindset would go a long way to leading this team to the promised land.

What position they play is mostly irrelevant as there's holes to plug at every spot.

Kyrie does it for Dallas. He's got defensive
chops now!

Who does OKC have ? And who do they have on the bench ?...Muscrat and Hayseed.

That aint scaring anyone. Thunder ain't scaring anyone.
Kizz Fastfists
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,568

Post#3180 » by Kizz Fastfists » Fri May 17, 2024 12:12 am

RingoKid wrote:A stabilising starting vet presence with considerable playoff experience and a defensive mindset would go a long way to leading this team to the promised land.

Presti tried that a long time ago. Another Kendrick Perkins type to try to push this team over the top is not the answer. Now if you want to name a player that is talented, healthy and has playoff experience sure. They could add a 2nd round pick, draft Bronny James and sign LeBron then sure. LeBron as the 5th starter, over Giddey, would push OKC to another level. Primarily because you are adding talent. You want to argue for Klay Thompson, sure. Again, you are adding significant talent. Kyle Lowry, maybe. Tobias Harris, maybe. Those are pretty much your options for adding a talented veteran FA that could crack the rotation.
"The secret to success is to offend the greatest number of people." -George Bernard Shaw

Return to Oklahoma City Thunder